• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: PS4 CPU to run at 2GHz

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Well, I don't know why you would bring up PS4 exclusives in a PS4-PC comparison....Since you can't be sure if they would run as well on a similarly powerful PC. Hence why in my opinion 3rd parties are where it's at if you want to mesure real world performance between the two platforms.
Will the PS4 run Watch Dogs as well as a GTX680 powered PC ? I'm not expecting that, but I could be proven wrong.

If PC exclusives really take advantage of the PC hardware then I think you are vastly underestimating the next batch of graphic cards.
Star Citizen looks more impressive than anything shown on PS4 so far in my opinion.
Well I never brought up PS4 exclusives...my original post was simply speculating on how PS4 visuals in general would hold up against future GPU's. Of course the stuff from ND/SSM/PD will be jaw dropping, and like you said we cant compare that to PC. Im just saying I expect stuff like Watch Dogs/Star Wars 1313 and future ports to compare very favorably on PS4, you dont. Agree to disagree yadda yadda. Again, E3 should show us much more accurately what the final system specs can do.

Eideka

Banned
Well I never brought up PS4 exclusives...my original post was simply speculating on how PS4 visuals in general would hold up against future GPU's
Indeed, and I took that you were alluding to PS4 exclusives, they will look very nice I'm sure but how relevant are they if you want to compare to PS4 to the PC ? In my opinion the only comparative criteria we can find are multiplats because we can gauge how they perform on both systems, you see what I mean ?

Of course the stuff from ND/SSM/PD will be jaw dropping, and like you said we cant compare that to PC. Im just saying I expect stuff like Watch Dogs/Star Wars 1313 and future ports to compare very favorably on PS4, you dont. Agree to disagree yadda yadda. Again, E3 should show us much more accurately what the final system specs can do.

Compare favorably to what though ? To the same game running on high-end PCs ?
No, I don't think so.
On a PC similarly powerful ? Yes, most likely. The PS4 version should perform better because of its architecture, PCs are open platforms after all.

It's simple really. I genuinely expect a 2012 high-end PC to run next-gen multiplats better than the PS4 at least for a few years.
It was already the case in 2005/2006 when consoles could hold their own specs wise to high-end PCs. Yet, Oblivion ran better on my 7800GT than on 360.

I don't see why history could not repeat itself, but as always it's not going to be cheap on the PC side.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Sony's electronics divisions--especially TVs, but pretty much linewide--are in the crapper. And it's largely due to their assumption that they can charge a premium based on having the name "Sony" attached to their products, when Samsung is making something nearly as good for half the price.
I own a Samsung, its a nice TV mainly got it because the design but it has less features, lower refresh rate & no 3D which the Sony I was gonna get did have for 10 pound cheaper, Why didn't I get the Sony? out of stock & I just wanted a new TV with 1080p (it was like fate was stopping me, it was my 5th attempt at buying a new TV as I had a problem every other time I got my wallet out)
Samsung have a large range of sets, but the ones cheaper then Sony's are shit low end featureless models, I actually find Sammy's more expensive when match features for features, so thats not true
I know this because I spent over a month looking for a new TV, I read the review/tests etc Sony TV came out on top & had what wanted for the price I could deal with and I could not get a cheaper alternative, not from LG & not from Samsung
but like I said I ended up with a Samsung anyway which I'm happy with, just the Sony had more features & 3D for tenner less
I think the problem is Sony don't put out as many budget TV's, but Samsung do, they release about 30 different models hell they still release 55" 720p only TV's here for cheap & people see that & compare to say the Sony HX870 range & think Sony is charging too much when the Samsung with similar specs is 500 pound more then the Sony
but I agree Sony don't do budgets sets.....except for one model they released last year for 300 pound,but usually it all or nothing with them, but Samsung does not match the quality at a cheaper price.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Indeed, and I took that you were alluding to PS4 exclusives, they will look very nice I'm sure but how relevant are they if you want to compare to PS4 to the PC ? In my opinion the only comparative criteria we can find are multiplats because we can gauge how they perform on both systems, you see what I mean ?
Well I really wasnt alluding to that but I can see why you thought I was. And yeah I agree that mulitplat ports are the only way to compare graphics directly, thats a given.

No, I don't think so.
On a PC similarly powerful ? Yes, most likely. The PS4 version should perform better because of its architecture, PCs are open platforms after all.
I dont expect PS4 ports to look as good as the highest end PCs, of course not. But I think the discrepancy in graphical fidelity will not be very large. Favorably was a poor word choice.

It's simple really. I genuinely expect a 2012 high-end PC to run next-gen multiplats better than the PS4 at least for a few years.
We'll see soon enough I guess.

Eideka

Banned
Well I really wasnt alluding to that but I can see why you thought I was. And yeah I agree that mulitplat ports are the only way to compare graphics directly, thats a given.
Glad we're on the same page.

I dont expect PS4 ports to look as good as the highest end PCs, of course not. But I think the discrepancy in graphical fidelity will not be very large. Favorably was a poor word choice.
You know it's down to the developpers to make the most of the hardware.
If Ubi (to take Watch Dogs as an example) don't bother with the PC port then it will be strictly equal to the PS4/720 versions, simple as that.
The natural benefits will show however (framerate/resolution), but as you said (and I fully agree with that) I expect the differences between the three next-gen versions to be fairly minimal.

Not that the potential isn't there, the next GTX770/780 and 8000 Radeon series are rumored to come out fall 2013, if Ubi wants to add extra bells and whistles they will have the hardware to do that.
That's in my humble opinion the best thing about the PC platform : its modularity and flexibility.

I've always played on PC and consoles, that won't change next-gen.

No, I don't think so.

It was already the case in 2005/2006 when consoles could hold their own specs wise to high-end PCs. Yet, Oblivion ran better on my 7800GT than on 360.

I don't see why history could not repeat itself, but as always it's not going to be cheap on the PC side.

There simply won't be a single game on PC that will look better, to any degree of significance, than its PS4 counterpart in 2013 or 2014, if we are talking about PC/PS4 cross-plat titles.

I say that because its only in the last couple of years where we've seen PC games looking significantly better on PC.

Even The Witcher 3 doesn't look a million miles away on 360.

spwolf

I own a Samsung, its a nice TV mainly got it because the design but it has less features, lower refresh rate & no 3D which the Sony I was gonna get did have for 10 pound cheaper, Why didn't I get the Sony? out of stock & I just wanted a new TV with 1080p (it was like fate was stopping me, it was my 5th attempt at buying a new TV as I had a problem every other time I got my wallet out)
Samsung have a large range of sets, but the ones cheaper then Sony's are shit low end featureless models, I actually find Sammy's more expensive when match features for features, so thats not true
I know this because I spent over a month looking for a new TV, I read the review/tests etc Sony TV came out on top & had what wanted for the price I could deal with and I could not get a cheaper alternative, not from LG & not from Samsung
but like I said I ended up with a Samsung anyway which I'm happy with, just the Sony had more features & 3D for tenner less
I think the problem is Sony don't put out as many budget TV's, but Samsung do, they release about 30 different models hell they still release 55" 720p only TV's here for cheap & people see that & compare to say the Sony HX870 range & think Sony is charging too much when the Samsung with similar specs is 500 pound more then the Sony
but I agree Sony don't do budgets sets.....except for one model they released last year for 300 pound,but usually it all or nothing with them, but Samsung does not match the quality at a cheaper price.

Sony TV offerings changed a lot in past year or two... now there are less budget models and more quality models, that have great picture.

Eideka

Banned
There simply won't be a single game on PC that will look better, to any degree of significance, than its PS4 counterpart in 2013 or 2014, if we are talking about PC/PS4 cross-plat titles.
I would bet otherwise, the hardware is there on PC to make that possible. Besides, TW3's lead platform is PC, I wouldn't be surprised if it does look way better on it than it will on PS4/720. We will see.
I would not be surprised of other PC ports start to really shine on PC.
To claim that PC won't move forward graphics wise is disingenuous at best, the platform is meant to benefit from hardware improvements and it has, I can speak from experience I've been playing on PC since 2004. I saw how games could look on it with a little bit of care, needless to say I've been impressed by countless multiplats on PC very soon after the 8th generation launched. The fact that the PS4/720 will dictate the technological roadmap is an excellent thing though, it allows PC devs to have an hardware compass of a sort.

I say that because its only in the last couple of years where we've seen PC games looking significantly better on PC.
You must not play on PC I assume. There are PC ports of 2007- 2009 that look way better on PC, Mirror's Edge, Batman Arkham Asylum, Far Cry 2, Dirt 2 DX11, Lost Planet to name a few. The IQ alone makes a huge difference I think.
See, I didn't have to wait long to know where to buy my multiplats game. ;)
But that's just me.

Even The Witcher 3 doesn't look a million miles away on 360
It does not need to for the PC version to look way better. I don't expect the same visual discrepency between the PS4 and PC versions of TW3 but I'd wager that there will be a difference nonetheless.

I would bet otherwise, the hardware is there on PC to make that possible. Besides, TW3's lead platform is PC, I wouldn't be surprised if it does look way better on it than it will on PS4/720. We will see.
I would not be surprised of other PC ports start to really shine on PC.

You must not play on PC I assume. There are PC ports of 2007- 2009 that look way better on PC, Mirror's Edge, Batman Arkham Asylum, Far Cry 2, Dirt 2 DX11, Lost Planet to name a few. The IQ alone makes a huge difference I think.
See, I didn't have to wait long to know where to buy my multiplats game. ;)
But that's just me.

It does not need to for the PC version to look way better. I don't expect the same visual discrepency between the PS4 and PC versions of TW3 but I'd wager that there will be a difference nonetheless.

Yes, of course these titles look better on PC, and we should damn well expect that because we are comparing here eight year old bits of tech that cost £400 at launch to current PCs that cost £800+ RIGHT NOW.

The price of the PC quote there is for a rig that can push notably better visuals than the consoles.

So I really don't see how PCs can suddenly significantly outperform a 2013 console if doing the same to the HD twins took so long.

Here's one for you - I reckin there will be a launch title on PS4 that will look better than anything on PC.

Let's wait and see.

I hope this is true. More bang for our buck (assuming it wouldn't affect the cost much like needing a better cooling solution).

itsgreen

Better specs are always great...

I am very skeptical though, this is not usually the direction fine tuning leads to.

Most times manufacturers encounter heat problems and have to down the specs.

And in general you can say:
More power needed, more heat generated, more cooling needs, bigger cooling system, bigger console. So it isn't all positive...

Eideka

Banned
Yes, of course these titles look better on PC, and we should damn well expect that because we are comparing here eight year old bits of tech that cost £400 at launch to current PCs that cost £800+ RIGHT NOW.
I'm fine with what I get for the price. :D
400€ for a PS4 is not a fair price considering that for now I haven't seen anything remotely enticing.
I'm better off buying a GTX770 for play the "definitive" version of Watch Dogs and other games.

So I really don't see how PCs can suddenly significantly outperform a 2013 console if doing the same to the HD twins took so long.
Except that the 360/PS3 were comparable to beefy PCs at the time, that's not the case with the PS4 and the rumored specs of the next Xbox, as I said the hardware that can be found on PC in 2012 is quite a bit more powerful, and the gap will widen in 2013.
I stand by my comment, the hardware allows to "significant" differences between multiplats and consoles and PC.
Whether or not 3rd parties will bother with it just yet remains to be seen but that makes me very optimistic for the future of the PC, for the time being I will settle down for prettier looking multiplats, how sad is that ? ;p
I never imagined high end PCs of 2012 could be more powerful than next-gen consoles....And yet here it is and the best in terms of hardware is to come, I hope that Nvidia and AMD have taken notes.

Here's one for you - I reckin there will be a launch title on PS4 that will look better than anything on PC.
I agree with that. But this isn't something that matters to me if the said game does not interest me. I will stick to PC for multiplats.

Show me what you've got Sony and MS, my money is ready. I just need The Last Guardian on PS4.

onQ123

Highly parallel workloads can be run all at once but not linear workloads.

Classic Example:
9 women can make 9 babies in 9 months.
9 women cannot work together to make 1 baby in 1 month.

EDIT: That being said a lot of graphics and AI calc can be run in parallel

But a whore that's 9 X faster can't make a baby in 1 month neither lol.

joking but I know what you're saying but it don't really apply

because you developing a women that can make a baby 9X faster

isn't much different than me splitting the baby making process up into 9 processes & giving the job to each of the 9 women & slapping that sucker together as he come out.

Dammit Jim I'm a gaffer not a doctor!

Hofmann

Except that the 360/PS3 were comparable to beefy PCs at the time, that's not the case with the PS4 and the rumored specs of the next Xbox, as I said the hardware that can be found on PC in 2012 is quite a bit more powerful, and the gap will widen in 2013.
I stand by my comment, the hardware allows to "significant" differences between multiplats and consoles and PC.

There won't be a big difference, because most games will be made for nextgen consoles as their main platform, except few european companies such as Crytek and CDProject. It's the same case as it is for now, where most PC games offer only improvements in resolution, AA, some small texture upgrades and so on. This time it will be even less noticeable, because specs are good enough to deliver great quality at 1080p.

Eideka

Banned
There won't be a big difference, because most games will be made for nextgen consoles as their main platform, except few european companies such as Crytek and CDProject. This time it will be even less noticeable, because specs are good enough to deliver great quality at 1080p.
There are resolutions above 1080p on PC by the way.
Further, I'm not sure how the fact that games are made with consoles in mind excludes the possibility of a PC version to take advantage of the hardware available.

That said, I'm fine with console level visuals for some time, it should slow down the arm race and that means good thing for PC gaming as a whole. Not everyone in the PC space has high end hardware. The limitations exist on PC as much as they exist on consoles if you seek profitability.

It's the same case as it is for now, where most PC games offer only improvements in resolution, AA, some small texture upgrades and so on.
Those are significant visual upgrades in my opinion and I wouldn't be surprised if they show up in PC versions sooner than some people think...

It was the generally accepted that certain games were better on Xbox. Those were generally developed for the Xbox though and then ported to the other consoles with very mixed and often poor results.
On the other hand, the GTA games almost certainly all had PS2 as lead platform (the time gap, especially for GTA3, seems too big for Rockstar to have built a version for Microsoft from the beginning). But the Xbox versions look and run better.

How so? the 8800 ultra was already out by the time the PS3 came out.

I meant in terms of visuals.

I'm fine with what I get for the price. :D
400€ for a PS4 is not a fair price considering that for now I haven't seen anything remotely enticing.
I'm better off buying a GTX770 for play the "definitive" version of Watch Dogs and other games.

Whether or not 3rd parties will bother with it just yet remains to be seen but that makes me very optimistic for the future of the PC, for the time being I will settle down for prettier looking multiplats, how sad is that ? ;p
I never imagined high end PCs of 2012 could be more powerful than next-gen consoles....And yet here it is and the best in terms of hardware is to come, I hope that Nvidia and AMD have taken notes.

I agree with that. But this isn't something that matters to me if the said game does not interest me. I will stick to PC for multiplats.

Show me what you've got Sony and MS, my money is ready. I just need The Last Guardian on PS4.

Yeah, I am excited, and PC gamers should really be excited because now gaming performance tech will be liberated as news games are not built with the lowest common denominator in mind.

Just look at what Yerli said- he said he'd like to push a PC-only game graphically to another level but the budget ot do that is not viable, and instead the old consoles must have a version. Which means of course that creating something mind-blowing is impossible.

That will change at the end of the year.

Hofmann

I'm not sure how the fact that games are made with consoles in mind excludes the possibility of a PC version to take advantage of the hardware available.

Same engine, models, ''world density''. If you're planning to play at some high res, down-sampled or more than one monitor, than ok, but for most folks it will be indistinguishable.

Kittonwy and I hailed from the IGN and GS forums back when he used to be EvilTaru. Ah the nostalgia lol.

Dude, I remember your name as well lol

I went by "Vash-the-Stampede" back then. It was all about choosing the coolest name possible back then even if you didn't like the character.

Eideka

Banned
Same engine, models, ''world density''. If you're planning to play at some high res, down-sampled or more than one monitor, than ok, but for most folks it will be indistinguishable.

Those improvements are absolutely significant for me.
You can't demand that a PC version be completely different than a console one, in a multiplatform perspective, the treatment we get from 3rd parties is already magnificent, no need to push it farer.
There's no chance (and no need really) for a developper to completely rework their game graphically for the PC, that's not reasonable in my opinion. That would require an insane amount of money that the PC market is unlikely to recoup, not with piracy as rampant as it is.

A "visually" enhanced console version (read : a few bells and whistles here and here) is all I ask for, the PC hardware will take care of the rest. :)
I deem that perfectly realistic given the circumstances.

Yeah, I am excited, and PC gamers should really be excited because now gaming performance tech will be liberated as news games are not built with the lowest common denominator in mind.
Just look at what Yerli said- he said he'd like to push a PC-only game graphically to another level but the budget ot do that is not viable, and instead the old consoles must have a version. Which means of course that creating something mind-blowing is impossible.
That will change at the end of the year.
Indeed, but how ironic would that be for a dead platform to reap the rewards. :lol

To get back on topic : more powerful consoles can only benefit PC gaming so I'm all for it. :D

2ghz is too slow. A console that is meant to last till 2020 shouldnt be having smartphone cpu speeds.

Should have been 3.2 or above. The cpu of the ps4 will be the bottleneck just like the gpu was for the ps3.

evilalien

2ghz is too slow. A console that is meant to last till 2020 shouldnt be having smartphone cpu speeds.

Should have been 3.2 or above. The cpu of the ps4 will be the bottleneck just like the gpu was for the ps3.

Right, because clock speed is the only thing that matters when it comes to CPUs.

But a whore that's 9 X faster can't make a baby in 1 month neither lol.

joking but I know what you're saying but it don't really apply

because you developing a women that can make a baby 9X faster

isn't much different than me splitting the baby making process up into 9 processes & giving the job to each of the 9 women & slapping that sucker together as he come out.

Dammit Jim I'm a gaffer not a doctor!

Sounds like you got some frustration you need to take out

Eideka

Banned
I've got my PC connected to a TV, like most console owners btw, so I'm not interested in those features.
The wonders of downsampling....Even barebone PC ports can trump their console counterpart easily with that. And that's only the tip of the Iceberg as Hemingway said. I'm confident the PC will continue to be a relevant platform.

Exactly, that's why PC gamers should be grateful;) that next-gen consoles are on the horizon.
Yes, I've always been. They provide a valuable baseline on which PC gaming can grow.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Right, because clock speed is the only thing that matters when it comes to CPUs.

I wouldn't bother responding to his post to be honest, the hate for Sony he has judging by his short post history here shows he is beyond reason.

Hofmann

The wonders of downsampling....Even barebone PC ports can trump their console counterpart easily with that. And that's only the tip of the Iceberg as Hemingway said. I'm confident the PC will continue to be a relevant platform.

Completely offtopic, but the best thing about PC gaming is the fact that in the the long run it's much cheaper than console gaming. Before I was mainly Nintendo/Playstation user, when I bought decent rig I spend less and buy more - whats not to love.

Eideka

Banned
Completely offtopic, but the best thing about PC gaming is the fact that in the the long run it's much cheaper than console gaming. Before I was mainly Nintendo/Playstation user, when I bought decent rig I spend less and buy more - whats not to love.

I guess that's true if you buy a lot of games but for my part PC gaming will always remain more expensive.
What matters however is what you get for it. I don't mind paying more if the end results makes it worthwhile and it does in my case.

belvedere

Junior Butler

I went by "Vash-the-Stampede" back then. It was all about choosing the coolest name possible back then even if you didn't like the character.

Holy hell, I remember you. Way crazy. Cool names and hours spent photoshopping signatures.

Those were the days.

Salaadin

Holy hell, I remember you. Way crazy. Cool names and hours spent photoshopping signatures.

Those were the days.

Kittonwy was EvilTaru? I loved that guy on IGN.
I remember you too.

I see some other IGN guys here as well. nib95, for one.

And you.

I was mgs2_solid_snake, winner of the coveted PS3GB "worst username" award back in...whatever year that was,

Scales it almost linearly.

No, not at all.

Every architecture and configuration have a sweetspot. The far you go from it, less performance differences.

You will hit some bottlenecks that will prevent the chip to perform better, and energy leakages will rise drastically TDP and power comsumption.

With such low clock speed, any mhz is welcome, though.

Artex

Banned
Kittonwy was EvilTaru? I loved that guy on IGN.
I remember you too.

I see some other IGN guys here as well. nib95, for one.

And you.

I was mgs2_solid_snake, winner of the coveted PS3GB "worst username" award back in...whatever year that was,

Sup dudes. I remember both of you.

<-------Beerham

Varth

Sort of a necro bump, but I think the confirmation of 40nm chip for Xbox One makes it kinda relevant again.

What does it mean for XO in terms of realiability, seeing the RROD history, and did some sort of confirmation for 28nm builds ever surface for PS4?

Top Bottom