• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: PS4 CPU to run at 2GHz

Theonik

More power = better, but man, I worry what all these "upgrades" do to the price...
Clockspeed is free, well I should say "free" because higher clockspeeds mean more power consumption so it may be necessary to use better cooling, also potentially may limit effective yield on PS4 CPUs. (by going lower clock you can harvest lower bin CPUs)

In this case though I doubt it has much effect, it's probably a no-brainer.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Because instruction execution rate is determined by the weakest link in the chain, which isn't always pure clock speed, correct?

Basically yes. The execution units would starve, for example, if your cache misses that hit main RAM get more and more costly the more you increase the CPU clock frequency keeping the rest the same.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Well, the issue is mainly related to voltage. If you have to increase the voltage to increase the clock-speed you will get a much bigger increase in power consumption.

Jaguar has incredibly low power consumption. That change would be negligible.

Maybe the adding of another 4Gb GDDR5 meant that they had to redesign the box and system, allowing more airflow and thus also allowing for a slightly higher clock frequence (because the impact of that wouldn't be that big). Maybe that's why they couldn't show it either, because it wasn't ready due to the RAM change.

Could be. I'm pretty sure that the CPU wasn't 100% final at the conference since they didn't give out any hard numbers on it, aside from number of cores.

Mindwipe

Maybe the adding of another 4Gb GDDR5 meant that they had to redesign the box and system, allowing more airflow and thus also allowing for a slightly higher clock frequence (because the impact of that wouldn't be that big). Maybe that's why they couldn't show it either, because it wasn't ready due to the RAM change.

Entirely possible.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Jaguar has incredibly low power consumption. That change would be negligible.

As I said, if they need to raise the voltage to increase clock rate the increase in power consumption will grow quadratically compared to the change in voltage. So, yes, if the change in voltage is negligent or none then you have less problems, but the power consumption will still rise, just not as badly as with core voltage changes.

what is that in GDDR5 ram?

Sounds....awesome?

Will that allow developers to code to titanium and use the 8GB GDDR5 to achieve 120fps?

How many enthusiast PCs duct taped together is this?

How many GameCubes is it now?! It still run's Jaguar games, right?

Does this make my Final Fantasy games prettier?

How many Wii Us ducktaped together ?

Equivalent to an extra 2GB of GDDR5.

2 secret jizhertz.

So in total PS4's CPU is like 16 GHz?

Holy shit!

Awesome first page.

fvng

Oh man Deadmeat has commented on that article, Microsoft must be shitting themselves if they have sent him out again.

Also, AMD and GF are completely separate now. AMD paid their way out last year.

Some background info on Deadmeat please

Drek

Excellent point. For example, it's entirely possible that they had been originally designing an internal PSU but increasing the ram was the straw that broke the camel's back on that design chioce. At that point the cooling dynamics of the case would change dramatically, opening up new options.

Some background info on Deadmeat please

Ultimate troll from yesteryear. Trolled anything to do with non-MS companies. Was on the side of HD DVD and kept spouting that the 360 would come with HD DVD to kill Blu-ray etc...

Weirdly, he always turns up when something is going badly for MS.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
How would an 8 core Jaguar at 2GHz compare to a 4 core i7 at 4GHz?

Not even close. i7 smokes Jaguar. However, CPUs are becoming less and less important for games in recent years. Most physics calculations will be handled on the PS4 GPU and audio rendering will be done on it's own chip. The CPU will mostly be doing AI calculations.

Seems to be a lot of changes to bump up the power of this console if true. Makes you wonder why ? Maybe Microsoft has a beast of a console that they found out about or they know they have to separate themselves enough to warrant microsofts cost advantage that is assumed if a lower power solution.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Not even close. i7 smokes Jaguar. However, CPUs are becoming less and less important for games in recent years. Most physics calculations will be handled on the PS4 GPU and audio rendering will be done on it's own chip. The CPU will mostly be doing AI calculations.

This is why the high specs on PC these days will help out tremendously as these new platforms will up the minimum spec and push PC's more. It's exciting for PC as we don't have to put up with lower res textures (not as much) among other things that come from focusing on consoles.

fvng

Ultimate troll from yesteryear. Trolled anything to do with non-MS companies. Was on the side of HD DVD and kept spouting that the 360 would come with HD DVD to kill Blu-ray etc...

Christ, that's pathetic. Thanks for the info

Monas

Meanwhile most of the things he says contradict themselves, or the quotes don't agree with him or he simply doesn't make any fucking sense.

-Amon-

This is why the high specs on PC these days will help out tremendously as these new platforms will up the minimum spec and push PC's more. It's exciting for PC as we don't have to put up with lower res textures (not as much) among other things that come from focusing on consoles.

True and at the time sad that pc owners have to wait for a new console generation to have better games on their systems.

Well, to be fair Jaguar is the best cpu AMD has created since AMD K7, at least the most focused. Its performance/tdp ratio is outstanding. Upping it to 2 Ghz get it nearer to 3 full desktop cores ( I won´t say 4 because of the fpus being 128 bits instead of 256 ).

Bigjelly

Banned
The i7 would have 3.5x the single threaded performance of the Jaguar and just under 2x the multi-threaded performance. Like Robo said... smoked.

Not sure I would say smoked. It totally depends on how the program is designed were not talking about straight PC gaming here where using 4 cores isn't even the norm yet.

Splitting the load across 8 jaguars would be more efficient in the right hands.

Socky

Seems to be a lot of changes to bump up the power of this console if true. Makes you wonder why ? Maybe Microsoft has a beast of a console that they found out about or they know they have to separate themselves enough to warrant microsofts cost advantage that is assumed if a lower power solution.

Maybe, but if Sony have the capability to improve the hardware in any way, why wouldn't they, regardless of what the competition are doing? More likely they are continuing to evolve the specs as they complete the hardware. The point made above about alterations to power and cooling might be an excellent reason to alter the design, and for the better if they can.

injurai

Banned
So in total PS4's CPU is like 16 GHz?

Holy shit!

Does't work like that, becase you would have to write everything to work in synchronous parallel processing. Which is a pain. Easier to off load certain computations to other cpus/gpu.

But in a sense having more cores is a way to increase processing without increasing the clock speed. It just all depends on how you code the games really.

Aeonitis

Neo Member
How much do Ghz matter in a computer's performance?

As much as everything being 60fps at least
tumblr_lsrk6tGRdS1r3v6f2o1_400.gif

seanoff

Deadmeat has been around much much much longer than that. i think he was on GAF in 1998 and certainly in 2000 being anti-Sony and very pro Sega. some very funny history there.

Awesome first page.

Annoying but accepted behavior.

I guess Sony found room in their TDP budget to upgrade the speed a little bit - after all those Jaguar cores consume next to no power (well this sadly also scales to computational purposes) so I guess power consumption will probably scale linear. So maybe from 30W to 37.5W - if they managed to raise the clock without raising the core voltage.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Not sure I would say smoked. It totally depends on how the program is designed were not talking about straight PC gaming here where using 4 cores isn't even the norm yet.

Splitting the load across 8 jaguars would be more efficient in the right hands.
Intel's CPUs dump on AMD's. It doesn't really matter which way you slice it.

TTOOLL

Didn't Sony release some documents regarding the PS4 specs? If I'm not mistaken it says that the CPU is clocked @1.6 ghz

he goes way back. He used to troll Sony on multiple forums as far back as 1998 or 1999. He was a huge Sega fan

pestul

Yeah, but with the low TDP, Jaguar cores are definitely the right choice in a console environment. Intel isn't even close to matching the performance per watt on this level.

Theonik

If anything, some processor tasks don't lend themselves that well to parallelism or at least don't scale in an entirely linear fashion, so it should be that an Intel CPU with less cores, but higher clocks and higher performance per clock will almost always perform better.
(given this data at least)

Going from 1.6Ghz and 4GB of memory to 2GHz and 8GB is pretty substantial, imho. It's crazy to think of how much better post-launch titles will look.

Drek

Didn't Sony release some documents regarding the PS4 specs? If I'm not mistaken it says that the CPU is clocked @1.6 ghz

No, it just said it was an 8 core Jaguar, no clock speed or even FLOPs data given, while the GPU did at least list 1.84TFLOPs.

2MF

Because instruction execution rate is determined by the weakest link in the chain, which isn't always pure clock speed, correct?

Right, but there is no weakest link in the chain that applies to all programs. Some sections of the code are working on cached data, those get a linear speedup from clock rate. The better optimized a piece of code is, the more the clock rate matters.

Salacious Crumb

I'm gonna go with the assumption that this rumor is bullshit, especially considering the source.
I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

Socky

No, it just said it was an 8 core Jaguar, no clock speed or even FLOPs data given, while the GPU did at least list 1.84TFLOPs.

... and also that specifications are subject to change without notice. I'm not convinced this story is accurate, but it is probably plausible.

pestul

Man the the PS4 is going to melt faces. Literally, it's gonna run so hot it's actually going to be able to melt faces.

They should be able to pull off <200W when it's all said and done. Hopefully closer to 150W, but I feeling it will be slightly over that at max TDP.

EDIT: Of course I'm making the mistake of not factoring in the benefit the APU might bring to power savings. 7970m is 100W TDP, but PS4s is slightly downclocked plus other savings. I can't see the Jaguars using more than 35W. GDDR5 will use up a little amount along with the secondary processing chips. It could actually be around 150W or slightly less.

OryoN

Whatever, just as long as they keep those 8 cores and GPU from becoming 8 coals and a furnace, I'd be happy. If true, of course.

Although, this gen raised the bar - for console thermal related issues - so high that I probably shouldn't have to worry about it ever being topped again. :eek:

meta4

I have a feeling they didn't let many devs know final specs outside of first parties and they're less likely to leak. PS4 seems significantly more powerful than leaked specs indicated. 25% more CPU power, double the RAM, and, while raw power is the same as rumors, the GPU seems much more efficient and flexible than originally thought.

Even first party did not know about 8 GB. A member from the ICE team tweeted stating that he was pleasantly surprised when Cerny announced that they are going for 8GB. He had a hunch that Sony might upgrade but was not sure.

Top Bottom