• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: PS4 CPU to run at 2GHz

mrklaw

MrArseFace
moving physics etc more to the GPU, and having a relatively low spec CPU could be great for PC gamers. Moving everything onto the GPU, you could keep your current PC for ages, and just update the GPU - giving you much less reason to upgrade the entire thing.

Eideka

Banned
True and at the time sad that pc owners have to wait for a new console generation to have better games on their systems.

Sad for you perhaps, but I think it's an excellent option for PC gaming to have consoles as baseline. It has never prevented the PC from having games that really take advantage of the extra power of gaming PCs.

No, I definitely don't think this is sad at all, a blessing this is.

Durante

moving physics etc more to the GPU, and having a relatively low spec CPU could be great for PC gamers. Moving everything onto the GPU, you could keep your current PC for ages, and just update the GPU - giving you much less reason to upgrade the entire thing.
But that's pretty much the current situation anyway. I've had my CPU since early 2009 (!), and it will probably outperform the CPUs in these consoles.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Yeah, but with the low TDP, Jaguar cores are definitely the right choice in a console environment. Intel isn't even close to matching the performance per watt on this level.
Are you taking into account Intel's mobile CPUs? I'm pretty sure they were just cheaping out.

DJ_Lae

My first thought is not excitement about the potential boost this could give to framerates and physics and the like, it's heat.

There were already people talking about overheating problems with the PS4 dev kit, and the PS3 as is (even my slim) does not exactly stay cool. I don't particularly want a generation where consoles are even more likely to break than they are now.

Xiaoki

People did note that at the reveal Sony did not say the GHz for the CPU.

So, maybe Sony did increase it to 2 GHz but wasnt ready to commit at the reveal a week ago.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
People did note that at the reveal Sony did not say the GHz for the CPU.

So, maybe Sony did increase it to 2 GHz but wasnt ready to commit at the reveal a week ago.

They revealed much more on the tech than anyone expected but I also wouldn't bank on too much more on the tech side other than their own released information now and for the future. What I'm saying is they talked up the tech and sort of set the standard for what the consumer should expect PS4 to do so if the CPU gets a slight bump then I don't think they will necessarily scream through the roofs.

I think the games and features will be the focus from here on out. We should get final HW and pricing at E3 but they certainly have released a ton of info on it compared to what I expected at this point.

I would be happy to hear Mark Cerny talk more tech at E3 though but I don't think they will focus as much on the under the hood as they did for their reveal.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
How much will upping the clock rate add to the cost?

Krabardaf

Not even close. i7 smokes Jaguar. However, CPUs are becoming less and less important for games in recent years. Most physics calculations will be handled on the PS4 GPU and audio rendering will be done on it's own chip. The CPU will mostly be doing AI calculations.

And geometry setup, plus almost all the gameplay logic, that isn't really a small deal, even considering tessellation.

teiresias

Ultimate troll from yesteryear. Trolled anything to do with non-MS companies. Was on the side of HD DVD and kept spouting that the 360 would come with HD DVD to kill Blu-ray etc...

Weirdly, he always turns up when something is going badly for MS.

I think he was more anti-Sony than anything else. Before MS entered the console space he was big into trolling for Sega and Dreamcast (who can forget the infamous Superkyro post back on long-ago GAF?). He also parades his racism out for everyone to see.

I'll take an increase in what we were expecting. Looks like Sony is trying to up the power from original specs in every way possible this late in the game without making any major changes. Possibly another reason we haven't seen the box since this may require changes in keeping the PS4 cool?

coldfoot

Banned
None, unless it requires better cooling. They were previously underclocking the CPU on purpose.
Not entirely true, there may be fewer chips on a wafer that can run at 2Ghz while still meeting the requisite power envelope. But if the yields are good, then yes, it's zero cost.

Someone fill me in on this Deadmeat fellow...? I don't know the reference.

A somewhat deranged individual. Those claiming he's a Microsoft fanboy are wrong, he hates Sony with a passion unseen before and never likely to be seen again and will latch to any company that he perceives is a direct competitor of Sony in the console market.

Essentially, someone who hates Sony with a passion and trots out delusional statements every so often. He did it with regularity with the Dreamcast and then latched onto Microsoft and the Xbox.

Sure it does. Intel had them earlier than AMD did. That was the main reason AMD bought ATI. Intel just doesn't call them "APU" or any other fancy new acronyms.

You mean their ultrabook? They're apu, though the integrated graphics core is nothing to write home about.

This is the kind of thing that could improve frame rates, much more so than RAM. Of course it's a GPU dependent thing too though.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
This is the kind of thing that could improve frame rates, much more so than RAM. Of course it's a GPU dependent thing too though.

That kind of depends on where the bottleneck is. Fillrate (GPU), memory amount/bandwidth, AI/physics (CPU), etc.

dr_rus

°°ToMmY°°;48523120 said:
You mean their ultrabook? They're apu, though the integrated graphics core is nothing to write home about.
No, I mean pretty much every Intel CPU for the LGA1156 and LGA1155. The graphics in them aren't fast but the very same can be said about AMD's APUs if you compare them to discreet videocards.

A somewhat deranged individual. Those claiming he's a Microsoft fanboy are wrong, he hates Sony with a passion unseen before and ever likely to seen again and will latch to any company that he perceives is a direct competitor of Sony in the console market.

Essentially, someone who hates Sony with a passion and trots out delusional statements every so often. He did it regularity with the Dreamcast and then latched onto Microsoft and the Xbox.

Just like Doombringer Deadmeat has become a almost welcome sight anytime I see either of them. The insanity they bring to a discussion always means high class entertainment.

Raistlin

Yeah, I posted this in one of the numerous ps4 CPU threads a couple days ago.

I have never personally heard of ps4daily, which is why I shyed away from a thread.

More power = better, but man, I worry what all these "upgrades" do to the price...
Clock speed isn't an 'upgrade' in terms of cost

Why are the posts in any tech related threads always so bad?
Waded through 2 pages of memes and other garbage before giving up, gaf is really going down the shitter.

And geometry setup, plus almost all the gameplay logic, that isn't really a small deal, even considering tessellation.
UI stuff is also handled by the cpu, isn't it?
MMOs and other games with elaborate uis or maps (like natural selection2) are really cpu heavy and not having a fast cpu in those can really take a shit on your framerate.
If you turn off the UI in tera you gain 30 fps.

A 2Ghz octa core Jaguar should get around 4 with all four CPUs stressed if that first result is correct.
That's a lot less shit than I thought, i5 stock is about 50-60 percent faster then the ps4 cpu if it's at 2 ghz, I was expecting something like 300 percent faster.

Single threaded performance for an i5 will still shit allllllll over jaguar though, guess it'll depend on how good devs are at making multithreaded engines wether it'll get decent performance or be complete and utter shite.

Ty4on

How would an 8 core Jaguar at 2GHz compare to a 4 core i7 at 4GHz?

There was a leaked Cinebench result for a quad core Jaguar CPU at 1.4Ghz getting 1.39 using all four CPUs. A single thread on one Ivy Bridge core (very similar to Sandy per clock) in a 3770k got over 1.66 at 3.9Ghz (stock turbo frequency when only one core is stressed) and 7.61 when all eight threads were stressed at 3.7Ghz (stock turbo frequency). The 3770k is an i7 with four cores and two threads per core, the i5 which is identical except 0.1 Ghz lower clock speed and one thread per core got around 6 (average between different benches on different computers).

A 2Ghz octa core Jaguar should get around 4 with all four CPUs stressed if that first result is correct. An AMD Piledriver core at 4.2Ghz (remember that two cores share resources in a module on piledriver so two cores aren't twice as fast as one) get's just over 1.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just like Doombringer Deadmeat has become a almost welcome sight anytime I see either of them. The insanity they bring to a discussion always means high class entertainment.
Oh god Deadmeat is similar to Doombringer? I need to see more of this guy's posts.

televator

I won't believe this rumor until Kaz himself is standing in front of a final design PS4, holds up 2 fingers, says "2 gigahertz," drops the mic, and laughs like in that one gif.

artist

Banned
I thought the AMD guy at CES hinted at the APU being able to dynamically ramp and throttle clock speed based on load, the same way their desktop CPUs do.
No need of a hint, Trinity already does that;

arch_page_12fqu88.jpg

Top Bottom