• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: PS4 CPU to run at 2GHz

Zen

Banned
Just like Doombringer Deadmeat has become a almost welcome sight anytime I see either of them. The insanity they bring to a discussion always means high class entertainment.

Oh man, Doombringer, wasn't he an insane Sony fanboy? he got banned over sparks or something? We need to unban them both of a day just to have a taste of the old times.

Oh god Deadmeat is similar to Doombringer? I need to see more of this guy's posts.

My memory tells me that Deadmeat is like SSJ2 compared to Doombringer.

Patiently waiting for Digital Foundry to finish their investigations on this rumoured 2Ghz speed bump, until then, it's just a clever turning up the heat leak by Sony, to make life even more miserable for the Durango design team..:)

tokkun

How much do Ghz matter in a computer's performance?

It is extremely application-dependent. More specifically, it's almost entirely dependent on cache miss rate of an application.

You only get linear scaling if the L1 cache miss rate is very low. This is usually true for toy benchmarks, applications with very small data sets, and applications with very regular control flow and predictable memory access patterns.

Applications with complex control flow or irregular memory access patterns will see little benefit from higher core clock speeds since their performance will mostly be dictated by the performance of the memory system unless memory latency can be hidden some other way, such as through aggressive multithreading.

spwolf

Clock speed isn't an 'upgrade' in terms of cost

its probably down to yields and if it is fine, they will do it... ball might be at AMDs court and they might be the ones guaranteeing the performance anyway.

Obviously increasing the CPU clock is good... especially in close console environment where specs dont change, such things can be exploited better than in PC where you are targeting gazllion different configurations.

how exactly important we wont ever know since you wont be able to test it.

Mike R who posted on B3D 1st said 1.8GHz than ps4daily posted this rumor of 2.0GHz then Mike R also said 2.0GHz

& that Jaguar standard clock speed was 1.8GHz.

The Jaguar's launching for the PC later this year will come in two versions, 1.6Ghz & 1.8Ghz.

Maybe this is where the confusion is coming from some sites & sources.

Oh man, Doombringer, wasn't he an insane Sony fanboy? he got banned over sparks or something? We need to unban them both of a day just to have a taste of the old times.

My memory tells me that Deadmeat is like SSJ2 compared to Doombringer.

DoomBringer was anti anything exciting. You could bet if the general populace liked it he would despise it.

His meltdown over KZ2 was sooo legendary

If this is true then the PS4 slaps the Durantantingo up and down.

Xbox Duranbongordalamardia

CPU: Jaguar 1.8 GHz
GPU: 1.2 Tflops and 12 CUs
RAM: 8GB of DDR3 RAM and 32MB of eDRAM

Ps4

CPU: Jaguar 2.0 GHz (1.1x faster)
GPU: 1.8 Tflops and 18 CUs (1.5x more powerful, and 1.5x more CUs)
RAM: 8GB of GDDR5 RAM (2-3x faster RAM)

Eideka

Banned
If this is true then the PS4 slaps the Durantantingo up and down.

Xbox Duranbongordalamardia

CPU: Jaguar 1.8 GHz
GPU: 1.2 Tflops and 12 CUs
RAM: 8GB of DDR3 RAM and 32MB of eDRAM

Ps4

CPU: Jaguar 2.0 GHz (1.1x faster)
GPU: 1.8 Tflops and 18 CUs (1.5x more powerful, and 1.5x more CUs)
RAM: 8GB of GDDR5 RAM (2-3x faster RAM)

So far it seems that the PS4 will not only get the best looking exclusives but better looking multiplats as well. There is no way 3rd parties won't bother with a more powerful architecture, I expect PS4 multiplats to have better textures, higher framerate/resolution.

Just like Doombringer Deadmeat has become a almost welcome sight anytime I see either of them. The insanity they bring to a discussion always means high class entertainment.

I'd forgotten about Doombringer. It's such a shame his posts on Killzone 2 are lost to the ether. Those were some amazing outbursts.

This might ruffle a few feathers, but the forum is worse off with them being banned. For all their trolling, their posts were genuinely entertaining and brought some much needed piquancy to the forum.

Eideka

Banned
I'd forgotten about Doombringer. It's such a shame his posts on Killzone 2 are lost to the ether. Those were some amazing outbursts.

This might ruffle a few feathers, but the forum is worse off with them being banned. For all their trolling, their posts were genuinely entertaining and brought some much needed piquancy to the forum.

I remember them back when I was a lurker and I agree with this.

I don't understand something though, how can someone be so upset about video games ?

Didn't follow the site back in the Killzone 2 days so I'm not familiar with Doombringer. His posts were so crazy they were deleted though? Plenty of other amusing outbursts and silly threads left for all to see so I suppose I'm wondering why his are gone.

artist

Banned
So far it seems that the PS4 will not only get the best looking exclusives but better looking multiplats as well. There is no way 3rd parties won't bother with a more powerful architecture, I expect PS4 multiplats to have better textures, higher framerate/resolution.
They will look the same (or) 3rd parties wont spend making PS4 ports look better - thuway.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Damn. As someone who games on PC>360>PS3>>>>>>>>Wii in terms of playtime and games bought, Sony is really building my dream machine as far as consoles are concerned.

I remember them back when I was a lurker and I agree with this.

I don't understand something though, how can someone be so upset about video games ?

As with all things - Games = Serious business.

Didn't follow the site back in the Killzone 2 days so I'm not familiar with Doombringer. His posts were so crazy they were deleted though? Plenty of other amusing outbursts and silly threads left for all to see so I suppose I'm wondering why his are gone.

I wish I knew. I was trying to find them via google, but the links 404. It's such a shame, hopefully someone screencapped them, but that wasn't really a think back then.

They will look the same (or) 3rd parties wont spend making PS4 ports look better - thuway.

That's assuming they lead on the next xbox. I see no reason to assume this will be the case. Games leading on PS4 will undoubtedly take advantage of all power available and then 'downgrade' whatever they need to when porting over to next xbox.

We've seen this already with PS3 games missing effects, detail, etc as developers led on 360. I expect the same to happen next gen, but with next xbox games seeing missing effects, details, etc.

This is all assuming that the specifications for next xbox haven't changed from the 2012 leaked information.

Yeah, also thuway is banned. Wonder what's the reason now?

Yeah, it seemed like the power derived from having a smidgeon of insider info proved too much for him. Tis a fickle beast...

Anyway, if there is a difference specs, which there seems to be, obviously I would expect differences to become evident in multiplat games. Of course it will be just additions, these consoles are obviously in the same ball park.

Putty

I've one or two friends working in the Sony family, one of whom suggested specs have not changed in the past 3 month or so. What Sony announced is what peeps have had for at least 3 months.

Reiko

Banned
I've one or two friends working in the Sony family, one of whom suggested specs have not changed in the past 3 month or so. What Sony announced is what peeps have had for at least 3 months.

Hard to believe when not even Guerrilla Games knew about the RAM jump.

Eideka

Banned

I don't think so, seriously I'm for all for developpers to make the most of the hardware and that applies to consoles too. That would be very petty for third parties not to make the PS4 versions prettier considering that the PS4 is quite easy to developp for unlike the PS3.

Would MS be butthurt over that ? Well, that's their problem.

ascii42

Maybe Splinter Cell Chaos Theory is messing up my judgement...

But i do remember most multi-platform reviews back then basically saying... "if you have the option, buy the superior X-BOX version".

If nothing else, the XBOX version would be more pleasant to look at thanks to the relative lack of jaggies. But yeah, there are some games like Chaos Theory that are nearly completely different games.

Reiko

Banned

But i do remember most multi-platform reviews back then basically saying... "if you have the option, buy the superior X-BOX version".

That game was pretty much made with Xbox in mind and ported down to hilarious levels on the other consoles.

turnbuckle

It I know correctly jaguar is pretty underpowered CPU. 1.6Ghz to 2.0ghz probably won't show you any meaningful upgrade.

Well, more is generally better if we're comparing otherwise identical architectures. Do those shrugging off a 25% clock speed bump feel the same as if the CPU was downgraded to 1.2Ghz?

Could be referring to the CPU rumor in this thread. It was the 10% chance of happening.

I hope he spills the beans when he returns.

I don't think so, seriously I'm for all for developpers to make the most of the hardware and that applies to consoles too. That would be very petty for third parties not to make the PS4 versions prettier considering that the PS4 is quite easy to developp for unlike the PS3.

Would MS be butthurt over that ? Well, that's their problem.

Indeed. I could see Microsoft raising a stink, but such behaviour never really works out in the end as developers soon tire of it.

It was the generally accepted that certain games were better on Xbox. Those were generally developed for the Xbox though and then ported to the other consoles with very mixed and often poor results.

Top Bottom