• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter Rant: Back Single Player Game Get Freemium P2W

QaaQer

So, Banner Saga was supposed be a single player campaign driven game and what do we get instead? A free to play microtransaction multiplayer game. ARRRRG!

Fuck kickstarter.

here is how the dev tries to sell it to the backers:

We mentioned a free multiplayer standalone at the end of our Kickstarter pitch video. At the time it was more of a side note, and not what we wanted to focus on. Near the end of the campaign we added a stretch goal to add player-owned cities to Factions. Again, a lot of people didn’t realize we were talking about the multiplayer game.

i.e., you didn't read the fine print stupid.

We didn’t set out to make a f2p game with the funding from the single player game which we crap out as an afterthought.

So when exactly did they decide to make a f2p game and crap out a single player version?

We’ve heard some major, and valid, concerns so far: the shop is overpriced, earning renown is too slow, and buying Renown or characters means the game is pay to win.

Sounds fantastic, and unlike anything else in the free 2 play space.

When is the single player game coming out?

Our best guess right now is between mid and late this year. We’re a little shy of giving specific dates this time around, but we are full steam ahead on this.

I'll believe it when I see it.

adixon

I pledged to that project. I remember them saying in the original pitch that they were planning on making a free multiplayer game first to iterate on the turn based combat and then making the single player game, which would take more time, afterwards.

QaaQer

I pledged to that project. I remember them saying in the original pitch that they were planning on making a free multiplayer game first to iterate on the turn based combat and then make the single player game, which would take more time, afterwards.

nope. single player game was supposed to be done by last November and was the whole point of the kickstarter. dev even said so:

We mentioned a free multiplayer standalone at the end of our Kickstarter pitch video. At the time it was more of a side note, and not what we wanted to focus on.

Apparently, something changed during development, hence the f2p thing we have now. Not to mention that it isn't a free multiplayer game, it is a freemium p2w multiplayer game.

Sorry. I backed this and I don't have a problem with it.

The only problem I have is that the multiplayer should have been free not microtransaction ridden OR at the lvery least, completely free for backers.

Other than that, things happen and as long as they make good on their single player game, I've got no issues and frankly it looks good so far.

Acosta

I pledged. It was on the plan to make this and I'm glad they did because they have refined a lot the UI and the system, it would have been stupid to launch in November.

A delayed game can still be great, a bad game is bad forever. They can go to end of 2013 if they must/can, as far as it´s a superb game.

Twinduct

Lol. For some reason I also go the impression that Factions was the F2P MP game coming first and then the SP coming afterwards.

Oh well, not like we're not getting the SP though. I mean if they cancelled the SP completely to just focus on MP it would be annoying.

dock

Had they revealed this upfront, would you have backed it?

I wonder whether they'll invest greater effort in the single player version if the F2P thing becomes successful, or whether they'll focus on that.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The single player game was always told to arrive after the multiplayer which was actually revealed before the Kickstarter went live (their site said coming soon). You don't have to play the multiplayer, just keep waiting for the single player as before.

Here is me mentioning I knew of the multiplayer the day the Kickstarter went live (being curious there's a Kickstarter at all).

Plus, the majority of what they work on for the multiplayer applies to the single player in the form of mechanics and assets.

All you have here is ignorance based attitude that assumes the single player isn't worked on at all because they only do mp.

I understand annoyance at delays, I don't understand proclaiming to know how they work and applying that to every project.

Also, at least post the whole Q&A thing, not choice quotes you proceed to "explain" into whole different statements. Come on.

Hey everybody! We’ve had so much going on that it’s been hard to find the time to catch our breaths. With Factions coming out in the next week this seemed like a good time to catch up with our backers and have a nice chat.

Basically, we know there are lots of questions about the project right now. We’ve answered every question we can find, in as many places as possible, but we think it’d be helpful for everyone if we rounded them together for an update.

I’ll also be happy to field any questions in the comments section below if you don’t see it in this update!

The release date on the project said November, now it’s February and you’re just releasing some multiplayer thing I didn’t even want. What gives?

This is the biggest issue we want to address.

When we set a launch date of November, we didn’t know if we’d match our funding or not. If I’m completely honest it was probably too optimistic, even if we had only gotten the minimum funding. We should have known better, and I apologize for that mistake.

Just as importantly, we made 7x the funding we expected. We made the game exponentially bigger. Imagine a tv show that gets picked up for 7 more seasons, or a book that gets made into a 7-part series or a 20-minute indie film being given the funding to turn it into a 2 hour feature film. All of these things take a long time. And hopefully, every one of these examples means a much better end result.

Where did this Factions thing come from anyway? I don’t remember hearing about it.

We mentioned a free multiplayer standalone at the end of our Kickstarter pitch video. At the time it was more of a side note, and not what we wanted to focus on. Near the end of the campaign we added a stretch goal to add player-owned cities to Factions. Again, a lot of people didn’t realize we were talking about the multiplayer game.

As for personally? We love single player RPGs and we love multiplayer matches. We loved the idea of working on both of these things in the same world and sharing the content and tech.

Why make Factions at all, instead of just making the single player game?

Factions started out as a way to give backers a playable part of the game early. It also turned into a huge endeavor.

We got beta players, and we got lots of feedback, and we ended up making the best combat system we could. As we developed the combat we made huge improvements to the game. We reworked the interface three times until it was really intuitive, and we overhauled the classes dozens of times. We really fine-tuned and polished the hell out of the art and the combat mechanics. The depth and scope of the multiplayer game is far beyond what we had originally set out to do.

Did we spend too long on this system? Maybe. It’s still hard for me to know for sure. Making a single player game is vastly more simple than making a multiplayer game, and these challenges cost us more time than we would have liked.

At the same time, if we had not gone through this process, the game, both single and multi-player, would be significantly lower quality than it is now, without a doubt.

We say it in every single update, but it’s 100% true - the combat in factions was made for the single player game, and we’ve used that to make a fully functional game that you can play now! We had really hoped people would see this is a huge bonus.

Ultimately, which choice would you have made? We know there are people on both sides of the issue, and we’ve seen both good and bad results from the path that we’ve decided to go down.

Factions just looks like a cash grab to me.

It really bums me out to see this sentiment, we have tried really hard to avoid it. First off, let me mention that this is not our goal. We didn’t set out to make a f2p game with the funding from the single player game which we crap out as an afterthought.

We’re using any revenue we get for salaries. None of the core team have been taking income since we started the company last January. Unlike many Kickstarter funded projects which pay mostly for salary, the $650k that we received after Kickstarter and Amazon’s cut have gone squarely into production: programming support, animation, audio, music, sound, QA, writing, office space, legal fees and software. This isn’t said for sympathy - we knew what we were getting into and we also have a buffer in case things get dire. This is simply the reality of why we’re raising money.

Factions looks like a grindy, pay to win game.

We’ve heard some major, and valid, concerns so far: the shop is overpriced, earning renown is too slow, and buying Renown or characters means the game is pay to win.

We’ll be making a lot of adjustments to costs this week. We’ve removed all renown costs to adjust your stats on a character, because this is a core part of what makes it fun to experiment with characters and teams. Now it’s free! We significantly lowered the price of color variations. We’re also adding a lot of achievements that grant bonus renown to make earning renown happen a lot quicker.

As for “paying to win”, this honestly shouldn’t be the case. Your team has a rating (a total of each character’s rank) and you’ll always be matched up against teams with a similar rating. No matter how your opponent made his team, you’ll be fighting on equal footing. In addition to matching by total rank, we also use each player’s ELO (ranking) to find equivalent matches, so that veterans tend to match each other before new players.

There has also been an exploit that allowed players to artificially lower their team power so that they could intentionally fight against new players. First of all, this is unbelievably lame of some players, but we’re also putting in changes to how team power calculates to make sure it doesn’t happen at launch. In addition, we’re also adding safeguards so that new players only match against other new players based on how long they’ve been playing. Whether this works will rely somewhat on how big our population is at launch.

Will there be microtransactions in the single player game?

No.

Will I miss out on anything in the single player game if I don’t play Factions?

No (except having fun).

Now, that said, we’ve put a lot of thought and effort into Factions. It’s not just a mindless one-off from The Banner Saga. Factions takes place in the same world, in a city that is part of the single player game and when events happen in single player they’ll affect the world in Factions. As we create new system for the Saga we’ll be testing them through Factions, so things like playing against the computer will appear in Factions as we work out the code, and the story will all tie together.

I don’t care how you explain Factions, I hate everything about it, I wish you didn’t make it and I feel like you tricked me into paying for something I don’t want.

I suspect some people feel like this. To those people, I would say I do understand. We became very ambitious and wanted to do the best work we could. The result is that it took a lot of time. We do not expect Factions to buy us yachts and mansions, just to pay for some living expenses. As our first time running a studio of our own, we’ve learned an enormous amount in both production and management. We hope you’ll accept our apology, and we strongly believe that we’ve taken the correct steps to make the best possible game. It will be worth the wait.

How do I upload my crest?

This has changed from the original upload idea, because that would have been very messy. You will now be able to upload your image in the game itself, when it releases. This way, nobody will miss any deadlines and you’ll be able to see it right in the game. Don’t worry, this is still EXCLUSIVE to backers!

Will Factions be ported to Linux /iOS /console?

No, we don’t intend to put Factions on anything but PC and Mac. Now that it’s out, we’re moving on to the rest of the single player campaign and cannot afford to spend weeks or months porting the multiplayer standalone. Our stretch goals applied only to the single player game.

When is the single player game coming out?

Our best guess right now is between mid and late this year. We’re a little shy of giving specific dates this time around, but we are full steam ahead on this. What we do promise is that we’ll continue to do regular updates on our progress, so that you can see how everything is coming together.

I still don’t completely understand combat and I’m getting crushed every time I play. What do I do?

We’ve included four different tutorials in the game. The first one covers the basics and you play through it when you boot up the game. On the main screen in Strand, you can click the banner button in the upper right. This shows you a cheat sheet of the most important things in combat and also includes two training videos. These will cover every single aspect of Factions. Lastly, every page has a ? button in the lower right. Clicking this will tell you what you need to know for that screen.

How do you feel about the game?

Personally, I think it’s coming along incredibly, and I’m not just saying that. My biggest regret is how long it is taking, but it’s coming out better than I had ever hoped. Some players have been rather upset about the delays, while others have told us to take as long as we need. The truth is, we only have as long as we have funds to pay ourselves. We can’t work on this forever.

I couldn’t be happier with our progress so far; for what we’ve done with a small team I don’t think I could imagine anything better. Despite the insane hours we’ve been putting in, I’ve never been prouder of anything I’ve made before, and we hope at the end of the day you guys agree it was worth it.

Thanks!

As mentioned before, we’ll be fielding all questions in the comments below. Fire away!

Yeah, I'm kinda glad I didn't back Banner Saga even though I think the single player is going to be amazing. It's one of the many kickstarter projects that COMPLETELY missed its estimated release date. That's why I'm no longer backing projects that already got more money than they asked for. I'm not interested in preorder stuff and I can buy the damn game when/if it eventually comes out.

The microtransaction stuff with their mulitplayer game is just the icing on the cake. I'm not against the idea of the multiplayer game, but during their kickstarter campaign I had the impression that it was supposed to be an appetizer for the main game.

QaaQer

Had they revealed this upfront, would you have backed it?

I have no interest in p2w multiplayer games, so no.

I wonder whether they'll invest greater effort in the single player version if the F2P thing becomes successful, or whether they'll focus on that.

I am not holding my breath.

Lime

We are still getting the singleplayer portion and games get delayed. I can live with them taking their existing system and using it for other purposes while still finishing up the singleplayer portion..

QaaQer

The microtransaction stuff with their mulitplayer game is just the icing on the cake. I'm not against the idea of the multiplayer game, but during their kickstarter campaign I had the impression that it was supposed to be an appetizer for the main game.

yup.

Maybe I haven't explained myself: what was promised was a single player game with a multiplayer side note. What has been made is a freemium game that if successful might make them enough money to make a single player game.

That says to me they used the kickstarter money to make a free to play microtransaction game. That's not what they said they would do on the kickstarter page.

The hell?

I don't remember anything about f2p and microtransactions in the pitch? Did they say this would happen before they took money? Trying to figure out whether I should blame them for being liars or me for not reading the small print

Alexios

a freemium game that if successful might make them enough money to make a single player game.
Where do they say anything like this? They say single player development has been and is full steam ahead and the reasoning they give for the delay is that they got 7x the asked funding and so make the game larger than it was initially planned and once again emphasize work on the core components of the multiplayer benefits the single player as well, in content and mechanics. I don't know this for a fact, but I at least don't make up facts like you're doing in some misguided sense of getting back at them.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I reserve judgement until I play the single player game. If it sucks, let the hate train begin

wrowa

The hell?

I don't remember anything about f2p and microtransactions in the pitch? Did they say this would happen before they took money? Trying to figure out whether I should blame them for being liars or me for not reading the small print

This is not the game you backed. The kickstarted game is still in development and will be released sometime this year.

Corto

I have no problem with this as I always thought that the game would have multiplayer F2P and the single player would be episodic. The single player campaign first episode being delayed is a bummer but I don't feel that there's any wrong doing or shadiness from Stoic. This of course within reason. I will start to be worried if by the end of the year we don't have a fixed release day for the game.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I knew that, when I backed this project, a multiplayer componant would be launched first, followed by the single player componant. I don't feel angry or decieved at all about anything related to the Banner Saga.

I honestly don't know how you're going from your frustration over details that were known both during and after the Kickstarter for a specific project to "Fuck Kickstarter."

This is not the game you backed. The kickstarted game is still in development and will be released sometime this year.

I don't care about that. The game could come out in 2088 for all I care if they're honestly working on it.

I care about if they're using kickstarter money to push a concept - f2p & microtransactions - that I despise. I wouldn't have backed the project if I knew about this. If they said this would happen, fair enough, thats me fault for not reading their pitch closely enough, but I sure as hell don't remember anything about this.

rockx4

I reserve judgement until I play the single player game. If it sucks, let the hate train begin

I feel the same. I'll wait to see how the single player game turns out. The f2p freemium model does sound sketchy to me, and it was never mentioned as far as I remember.

QaaQer

Where do they say anything like this? They say single player development has been and is full steam ahead and the reasoning they give for the delay is that they got 7x the asked funding and so make the game larger than it was initially planned and once again emphasize work on the core components of the multiplayer benefits the single player as well, in content and mechanics. I don't know this for a fact, but I at least don't make up facts like you're doing in some misguided sense of getting back at them.

The email they sent talks about having to pay salaries and whatnot to continue work and how the developers have been forgoing salaries. I'm not re-reading it to tease out quotes because I just don't care anymore. But in short, they put micro-transactions in the game because they need the money.

QaaQer

I don't care about that. The game could come out in 2088 for all I care if they're honestly working on it.

I care about if they're using kickstarter money to push a concept - f2p & microtransactions - that I despise. I wouldn't have backed the project if I knew about this. If they said this would happen, fair enough, thats me fault for not reading their pitch closely enough, but I sure as hell don't remember anything about this.

f3-ing the kickstarter page shows zero hits for 'microtransactions', 'f2p', 'free to play', etc.

PS, I'm glad someone else feels the way I do.

Alexios

But in short, they put micro-transactions in the game because they need the money.
Needing money is not the same thing as this, which you just obviously made up like most of your posts. They say one thing, you complete their sentence with crazy imaginary things and then consider them facts. It doesn't work that way.
a freemium game that if successful might make them enough money to make a single player game.
I've quoted the whole thing for everyone here edited in my first reply, they just point out that the money never went into the core team salaries, nowhere do they claim that they will stop being willing to go without salaries as they did since the very beginning and simply cancel the game if Factions doesn't provide enough for them. Stop making stuff up, seriously.
We’re using any revenue we get for salaries. None of the core team have been taking income since we started the company last January. Unlike many Kickstarter funded projects which pay mostly for salary, the $650k that we received after Kickstarter and Amazon’s cut have gone squarely into production: programming support, animation, audio, music, sound, QA, writing, office space, legal fees and software. This isn’t said for sympathy - we knew what we were getting into and we also have a buffer in case things get dire. This is simply the reality of why we’re raising money.
Anyway, people have the facts now, knowing the multiplayer was always announced and to be released first and having the developers' whole Q&A to judge for themselves rather than your misrepresentation of the issue, so I'm done here. Toodles.

QaaQer

I've quoted the whole thing for everyone here edited in my first reply, they just point out that the money never went into the core team salaries, nowhere do they claim that they will stop being willing to go without salaries as they did since the very beginning and simply cancel the game if Factions doesn't provide enough for them. Stop making stuff up, seriously.

I've made nothing up. Stop being a douche, seriously. If factions doesn't provide income, where are they going to get the money to finish the single player game while providing the support and infrastructure for their multiplayer game and feed their families?

Anyway, people have the facts now, knowing the multiplayer was always announced and to be released first and having the developers' whole Q&A to judge for themselves rather than your misrepresentation of the issue, so I'm done here. Toodles.

Too bad the devs didn't give people "the facts" at the beginning of the kickstarter.

Seems like this is an important detail:

I don’t care how you explain Factions, I hate everything about it, I wish you didn’t make it and I feel like you tricked me into paying for something I don’t want.

I suspect some people feel like this. To those people, I would say I do understand. We became very ambitious and wanted to do the best work we could. The result is that it took a lot of time. We do not expect Factions to buy us yachts and mansions, just to pay for some living expenses. As our first time running a studio of our own, we’ve learned an enormous amount in both production and management. We hope you’ll accept our apology, and we strongly believe that we’ve taken the correct steps to make the best possible game. It will be worth the wait.

Sounds like the project got out of control and didn't go as planned. Happens all the time, especially with small studios.

Carl

Backed this and got bored of their updates ages ago. Don't care about it anymore. Haha.

Mind you, i'm the same for other projects i've backed. Don't give a shit about any of them. Only one i still care about is Starlight.

BHK3

Banned
This microtransaction thing really rubs me the wrong way, I didn't back it because they never offered paypal, but what exactly do you have to pay for? They say it's not p2w but this thread says otherwise.

Pasco_

Banned
I have to admit the way the Banner Saga thing has gone down has rankled with me a little. Not as much as the OP, who may be going slightly overboard, but I can see where he is coming from.

"A mature, story-driven, turn-based strategy game steeped in viking culture, by three game industry veterans." That's the quote at the top of the Kickstarter page. The original pitch was very much for a single player, turn-based tactics game, in a beautiful art-style, about vikings. This is what got me excited and why I backed it.

Then it was revealed that the Kickstarter was only for the first chapter of what would be an episodic release, so backers weren't getting the full game. This was quickly backtracked, but left a bit of a sour taste.

Then it was revealed that the devs would first be making some free to play multiplayer spin off version.

All of this was trickled out during/after the Kickstarter, and not in a very open manner. I'm not saying they were hiding stuff, or trying to be sneaky, but it wasn't shouted ffrom the rooftops.

I'm still looking forward to the single player game, have absolutely no interest in the multiplayer, and don't feel too burned, yet. But I'm not excited in the way I was, and I do feel slightly negative towards the devs about the way they handled all of this.

trinest

I guess its bad faith that they used time to develop a multiplayer game and still havn't even looked into the single yet. But as long as the single player version is coming, isn't it all okay?

100% agree with this. Every time I have wanted to support a Kickstarter I've read how they might swap my purchase of the full game for "content of equivalent value" under a free to play system.

A Copy of The Ship: Full Steam Ahead (or the equivalent in paid downloadable content)
The game [Zombie Playground] will adopt a Free to Play model.
The last one was somehow tiered if I recall correctly so you had no idea what you were going to get. It's slimy as hell and it puts me off Kickstarter in general.

Risible

Welcome to number 5432 why I won't touch game kick starters with a 50 foot pole.

This quote combined with your avatar are perfect :).

I agree - I would never back a video game Kickstarter. People who have serious legal repercussions awaiting them should they not produce a video game often fuck up the process. I don't know what the process would be to try and get money back from a Kickstarter project, but I suspect it wouldn't be easy.

I've backed a number of mini and board game projects and have been happy so far, but the delays can be lengthy. They are all established companies so I'm not worried, but some like Steve Jackson's Ogre are way past overdue. I'm sure I'll be happy with the finished product as it looks fantastic but I can understand some people's concerns.

In the end, all I can say is only back things you can afford to lose money on. In addition, really examine the backers and their qualifications. In the case of Ogre, SJG has been around forever so I know that I will eventually see an amazing game. I don't get that kind of feeling from video game developers.

The single player game is still coming. My understanding of it (and they said this a looooong time ago) was they were going to release a multiplayer only version that would help beta test the combat for the single player. I don't get what the problem is.

Famassu

I've made nothing up. Stop being a douche, seriously. If factions doesn't provide income, where are they going to get the money to finish the single player game while providing the support and infrastructure for their multiplayer game and feed their families?
You're the one behaving like an asshole and making things up, yet he's the douche? How is it so hard to understand that the Kickstarter money is not going into this multiplayer (they are using assets & everything created for the single player)? Other than the player-owned cities thing (if that stretch goal was even met?).

You are not getting a freemium multiplayer with the money you pledged, you are getting a single player game. The fact simply is that they got a lot more money than they thought they would be getting and the scope of the game expanded a lot, which means it takes longer to develop the game. This is 1 + 1 = 2 level logic that you don't seem to be understanding, or refuse to with your childish out-of-proportions reaction to all of this.

snap0212

I think many Kickstarter projects will turn out not to be what people originally thought they would. I also think that people who back Kickstarter projects should get as much information as possible for various events that can occur.

People have pitched in for a project that was supposed to be finished at a certain point and just changing the release date is not acceptable, in my opinion. Yes, game delays can happen but they shouldn't happen because the project got more money than expected. There needs to be a “What if?” section where they answer those questions. Kickstarter is built around the idea of getting as much money as possible so not thinking about “What if we get more?” and answering that question right away is stupid. Let people know that if you get more money they'll have to wait longer and tell them why that'd be the case. Just saying “Yeah, delays happen” is not okay – you either have a plan or you don't.

Kickstarter might be a good place to get funding for some projects and I'm glad they can be realized through community funding. However, I think people who pledge deserve way more than simply being forced to deal with it when things change. It's not respectful, in my opinion. If you cannot give a release date that you will make, don't promise anything or tell people about it.

epmode

I'm finding it hard to get outraged over this. Mostly because I knew about the MP mode beforehand (although I can't remember where I read about it) and this is just a matter of a delayed game now. Are you really surprised to see a delay when they ended up with seven times their funding goal?

To the other guy complaining about the episodic model, the game will still be released in three episodes. It's just that people who backed at $50 and above will get all three episodes instead of just the first.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
So I thought I pledged for the entire SP game - so I'm actually only getting chapter 1? Hope it's a long chapter then. I thought Stoic's Kickstarter was one of the safer bets so I'm hoping that they don't disappoint.

And what do you mean they haven't looked into SP yet? I thought that all the assets in Factions was from the mythical SP and that Stoic put out Factions to tide us over while they've been busy with SP work. I find it hard to believe that they've only just started on SP.

edit: somehow missed Alex's massive post at the top of the page ...

I guess I fall into this camp - I feel let down that so much time was devoted to Factions instead of shaving months off the development of the SP game. Oh well, just have to buckle down and now be patient.

elyetis

This microtransaction thing really rubs me the wrong way, I didn't back it because they never offered paypal, but what exactly do you have to pay for? They say it's not p2w but this thread says otherwise.
From what i saw it's not p2w, you unlock/upgrade units faster with money, but matchmaking make you play against people who are around the same level of unlock/upgrade as you.

Azih

Not a backer on this (the whole banner saga episode ONE nonsense turned me right off) but I don't think this qualifies as a bait and switch.

Pledged on this project and I'm not mad about it. The MP was something discussed on the project page before, still the single player is the reason why I put my money on this.

mrboo001

Banned
So I thought I pledged for the entire SP game - so I'm actually only getting chapter 1? Hope it's a long chapter then. I thought Stoic's Kickstarter was one of the safer bets so I'm hoping that they don't disappoint.

Stoic stated that anyone who pledged over $50 will get all 3 chapters. I have no clue how much you pledged so you still might be missing out.

Top Bottom