• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Responds To Fan’s Request Of A Banjo-Kazooie Remake For Nintendo 3DS

Well if they did maybe the new Rare could be imbued with the spirit of the old Rare and it would begin a glorious revival, except that wont happen.

If they do, i hope they fix some of the wonky ass camera angles in rusty bucket bay and change the layout of Gruntilda's Lair so its not such a boring chore to navigate.
I liked the hub...
Except for how certain doors caused the music to start from the beginning again which was annoying, it's not that bad to traverse, there's the old warp cauldrons.

Didn't the XBLA releases already add them in?
Yeah but if I recall it just unlocked stuff for Nuts and Bolts, I think I preferred unlocking nothing back in the N64 days, at least there was the mystery!

G0523

New Rare, same trolling.

If Rare were to remake any games for the 3DS, who would publish them? Microsoft certainly won't do it. THQ is dead. I doubt anyone would step up to the plate.

Wouldn't the porting of the HD version to 3DS be so cheap to do that it would be practically guaranteed profit for Microsoft? A sympathetic price on the eShop and this could sell decently

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Let me translate that for you:

Anything is possible... : "We'd love to make it!...."
...even if it’s not very likely: "But no-one's ever going to give us the money and we're brassic."

Rich!

New Rare, same trolling.

If Rare were to remake any games for the 3DS, who would publish them? Microsoft certainly won't do it. THQ is dead. I doubt anyone would step up to the plate.

Technically, they could themselves.

eShop releases.

Dwingvatt

Banned
I feel like if the Vita had been a serious rival to the 3DS, it would have made sense for MS to actually support it, but there's no point now, so no, it'll never happen.

LOL Sony wouldn't even send a television to OXM, to be tested. Do you think they would allow a MS studio to develop games on their platform? If you think so, you must be living in a blissful world.

Technically, they could themselves.

eShop releases.

Wrong. Technically they can't. See reason below.

Isn't rare wholly owned by microsoft?

Yup. Which means MS has to approve everything they do.

He means it's not very likely since they recently sold Banjo and their other non-Kinect IP's back to Nintendo.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

IHaveIce

Banned
Lol at some of the replies thinking Microsoft never would publish anything on the other consoles, not only did they do that already. But they even had plans to bring Halo, their biggest IP, on the DS but didn't do it because they couldn't get a prototype working that felt right and nailing the gameplay"

Of course Rare won't do it, but some are thinking these companies are thinking like the fanboys on message boards.
LOL Sony wouldn't even send a television to OXM, to be tested. Do you think they would allow a MS studio to develop games on their platform? If you think so, you must be living in a blissful world.

Is this sarcasm? You think Sony would turn a studio down which wants to develop for te Vita? Just because it is owned by Microsoft?

bbdude

I'd say Donkey Kong 64 is much more likely, that is if any of their N64 games ends up being remade for the 3DS.

That being said, I'd welcome any remakes that Rare is willing to provide, so long as touch gimmicks aren't forced into the design, ala Diddy Kong Racing DS.

Donkey Kong 64 remake would be so so happy. It's one of those games I played and tried to beat with other family members. Many good memories.

I don't think that it's possible, given how blatantly they mocked Nintendo on the Nuts and Bolts debut trailer, I'm assuming Nintendo has outgrown them.

Maybe Diddy Kong Racing DS was an exception though... still, I doubt it. It's better for them to keep the series away from their filthy hands.

No.

After the MS acquisition, Rare frequently collaborated with Nintendo (and published on Nintendo platforms) up until 2008:

1. Donkey Kong Country, on the GBA, published by Nintendo, 2003
2. Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge, on the GBA, published by THQ, 2003
3. Sabre Wulf, on the GBA, published by THQ, 2003
4. Donkey Kong Country 2, on the GBA, published by Nintendo, 2004
5. Banjo-Pilot, on the GBA, published by THQ, 2005
6. Donkey Kong Country 3, on the GBA, published by Nintendo, 2005
7. Diddy Kong Racing DS, on the DS, published by Nintendo, 2007
8. Viva Pinata: Pocket Paradise, on the DS, published by THQ, 2008

It's really only been since the Rare rebranding as a Kinect studio....that Rare has stopped releasing stuff on Nintendo platforms and collaborating with Nintendo on various projects.

goldenpp72

I honestly don't see why this was even posted, it is about the most generic PR response imaginable. This scenario won't happen as rare has dissolved their portable division. It would have to be a different team.

SykoTech

No thanks, especially not from this Rare.

Crazy how much people look at these old franchises. You don't see anyone asking naughty dog for more Crash Bandicoot. Lmao

I'm gong to assume this was an ironic/sarcastic response. Otherwise, that's pretty thick rock to live under.

Sony/ND don't even own Crash, yet that dream still hasn't been let go.

DasMarcos

Banned
I honestly don't see why this was even posted, it is about the most generic PR response imaginable. This scenario won't happen as rare has dissolved their portable division. It would have to be a different team.

Because to every Banjo fan out there even a slim glimmer of hope for more B/K antics is still a chance god damn it.

I would love for this to happen..I've been playing DK64 lately too and I would definitely be down for a port of that as well.

And it wouldn't be a Banjo thread without wanting Nintendo to buy Banjo back.
and put him in Smash Bros. ;)

Edit- the tweet has 25+ retweet/favorites. I wonder if that's a record for Rare

Only if the opening has a Nintendo logo on the Xylophone again. I hated that they just threw a generic Microsoft one on it. Nintendo needs to send MS boat loads of money so they can get Banjo back. BK is my all time favorite game and it just feels right at home on a Nintendo console. I just couldn't play the originals on the 360.

By the way, what ever happened to that spiritual successor being worked on my ex-Rare employees? Did that fall through? Cause their twitter has nothing.

Dwingvatt

Banned
Is this sarcasm? You think Sony would turn a studio down which wants to develop for te Vita? Just because it is owned by Microsoft?

You are joking right? Obviously you must be. Like I said this is the same company that didn't want to send a television to OXM for comparison test because they were the competition.

Only if the opening has a Nintendo logo on the Xylophone again. I hated that they just threw a generic Microsoft one on it. Nintendo needs to send MS boat loads of money so they can get Banjo back. BK is my all time favorite game and it just feels right at home on a Nintendo console. I just couldn't play the originals on the 360.

By the way, what ever happened to that spiritual successor being worked on my ex-Rare employees? Did that fall through? Cause their twitter has nothing.

What made them so special being on a Nintendo console? What made it feel different that you couldn't play them on the 360? I would really like to know.

I feel like if the Vita had been a serious rival to the 3DS, it would have made sense for MS to actually support it, but there's no point now, so no, it'll never happen.

Why more sense than the 3DS? It most likely wouldn't be anything outside Rare IPs anyway, which fit way better on a Nintendo handheld.

They claimed that, for example, Viva Pinata DS wouldn't have happened on the PSP.

What made them so special being on a Nintendo console? What made it feel different that you couldn't play them on the 360? I would really like to know.

Because Banjo was clearly a spin-off of DKC in spirit (I know about Dream, but Banjo even first appeared in DKR), Banjo as a whole looks like something Nintendo would've created, because the games apparently used the Mario 64 engine (read this somewhere), because Nintendo is where platformers flourish and some of if not the best ones are on?

Banjo to me IS a Nintendo franchise that was robbed from them, I'd argue that Banjo would NOT exist if it wasn't for Nintendo, had the legendary partnership never had taken place, Rare would either not be the success they were, or possibly have even been shut down long ago.

Plus I'm pretty sure Nintendo had a huge positive influence on Rare, even going as far to suggest Dinosaur Planet be a SF game (for better or worse), and DP would've gone to MS had this not happened, Nintendo clearly influenced Rare, and Rare's greatest successes and most memorable franchises were created under Nintendo's wing.

Rare WAS Nintendo, those two saw eye-to-eye, had very similar philosophies, etc.

MS was the worst thing to happen to Rare, I would not be surprised if even the Stampers regret the sale (it was them who started it), Rare's biggest names sure do (Grant Kirkhope and Chris Seavor to name a few).

This is why Banjo does not feel right on the 360.

What would you guys think about a Banjo Kazooie sequel developed by another studio with a solid track record that had a high-reverence for the franchise? Do you think they could pull it off or do you think Rare is the only one that could do it?

Salsa

It's like I can see the tear rolling down that Rare employee's face as he wrote that response, quickly wiped away by a pain spasm caused by the microsoft whip that hit him in the back

Raide

What would you guys think about a Banjo Kazooie sequel developed by another studio with a solid track record that had a high-reverence for the franchise? Do you think they could pull it off or do you think Rare is the only one that could do it?

I really don't know. Most people will say that this is not the Rare they remember but it could actually be a very new Rare that makes amazing games. They have been staffing like crazy, so they cannot all be working on Kinect Sports 3.

I would like them to give games like Banjo, Perfect Dark etc another shot for next-gen greatness. Maybe give Banjo to DoubleFine. :D

Luigi87

Wow, wish I saw this thread yesterday, because I was just thinking of this yesterday @_@
... Then it occurred to me that they'd probably somehow make it for Windows Mobile phones.
That is to say if they are allowed to make a game like it again.

I definitely think another can carry the torch, even though some key folks remain (Gregg is the creator and still is at Rare), too many folks have gone and a lot of folks from other companies joined so it's not really Rare anymore, plus they fired their art team correct? That's pretty damn important for a company's identity like Rare's.

Eurocom was one of my choices, but... :'(

Two Tribes I feel can pull of some of Rare's IPs on 3DS like Viva Pinata and Banjo, they have pre-rendering techniques that remind me of Rare's, I mean look at Toki Tori 2:

screenshot_5.png

They could attempt at a design similar to Pocket Paradise and Grunty's Revenge on 3DS.

Top Bottom