• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridiculous Fishing: A Tale of Redemption |OT|

Zia

UvlvNIy.png

"A handcrafted game about fishing with guns, chainsaws & toasters."

Developer: Vlambeer (Super Crate Box), Zach Gage (SpellTower) and Greg Wohlwend (Hundreds)
Music: Eirik Suhrke (Hotline Miami, Spelunky, Super Crate Box)
Platform: iOS
Genre: Arcade
Price: $2.99 (App Store)
Release Date: March 14, 2013

Features:

• Hours of gameplay across the continents including a never-ending Infinite arcade world.
  • Dozens of unlockables, weapons and items including popular fishing gear like the Most Expensive Hairdryer In The World and A Bowling Ball.
  • Fish that become hats.
  • No IAP - buy the game, play the game. No additional costs, no hidden fees. Even the hats are IAP-free.
  • Fish that become hats.

Videos:

Ridiculous Fishing: A Tale of Redemption - Announce Micro-Trailer
Ridiculous Fishing: A Tale of Redemption - Release Trailer

Reviews:

Edge
Vlambeer’s game is, as its title suggests, ridiculous. In its simple, gleeful rhythms of play, it’s sublime, too.

Eurogamer
And the moral of the story? A great game design can always be ripped off, sadly, but talent will out in the end. You can't cut-and-paste the artistry and attitude that Vlambeer has brought to this extravagant bit of disposable nonsense. You can't copy a true original - even before it's out.

IGN
Ridiculous Fishing puts a smile on my face every single time I reach the climactic moment my gigantic haul of fish are flung into the air and the cartoony slaughter begins. Plenty of secrets, extras and upgrades provide several hours of ridiculous fun. Still, the game is still ultimately a polished arcade time-killer – don’t look at its gorgeous artwork and listen to the wonderful soundtrack and expect something more.

Joystiq
The existence of a clone clearly gave Vlambeer and company something to prove. In the end, it's to the benefit of the game that this happened. Not only is Ridiculous Fishing better than it probably would have been without such motivation, it has a built-in counterpoint to contrast against. It illustrates that there's no better way to see how original a game is than to look at its copy.

Pocket Gamer
I've come to think of Ridiculous Fishing as the unofficial game of Wes Anderson's movie The Life Aquatic. It's similarly colourful, bizarre, imaginative, and willing to venture into deeper emotional waters from time to time. More importantly, it demonstrates that indie games aren't just for indie gamers - anybody who gives Ridiculous Fishing a try will be hooked.

eG0uDgq.jpg

dream

I know Ninja Fishing basically wholesale jacked this concept, but is Ridiculous Fishing actually any better of a game?

GWX

This is going to be mine. Just bought Super Crate Box for absolute no reason (played it a lot on PC, where it's free), and it feels good!

First Muffin Knight, now Ninja Fishing. Maybe someday, Vlambeer will find better things to do with their talent than produce shameless knockoffs of what truly creative iOS devs are doing.

GWX

Bought :)

Edit: daaamn, this is so much fun! Tilt was weird at first, but it feels very natural minutes later. Buy this, guys!

Zia

So, I just sent out gifts of Ridiculous Fishing. I couldn't figure out why nobody had received one, so I checked and they say, "Sent March 14, 2013." Wha-? I want them to get there now.

cohrs

Neo Member
it is times like this that I regret getting a windows phone. Yes, it was free, but the lack of Windows apps make me sad...

Jarsonot

I like it - a fun little time waster.

Does anyone know how I can change maps, or check my fish collection? Sometimes I get the option and sometimes I don't. Don't see anything in the pause menu, and usually after fishing I get the option to either fish again or shop, nothing else.

After shopping it's straight back to fishing... So how dya check your collection!?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I like it - a fun little time waster.

Does anyone know how I can change maps, or check my fish collection? Sometimes I get the option and sometimes I don't. Don't see anything in the pause menu, and usually after fishing I get the option to either fish again or shop, nothing else.

After shopping it's straight back to fishing... So how dya check your collection!?

Click on the phone, it's the thought bubble before you go fishing

Jarsonot

Click on the phone, it's the thought bubble before you go fishing

Aaaah... Thanks! Only other way I figured out was to spend my way to not being able to afford anything. Gave me phone option instead of store. =)

Edit: I thought the phone was a fish finder =) thought it was "ringing" when there were a lot of fish underneath, and if you tapped during the ring you'd get a denser population. =)

PFD

Is this tilt-only? If that's the case i'll probably pass, as I don't wanna be tilting my giant ipad 4.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
They just read this thread on the livestream, lol

Pretty much perfect reviews everywhere so far

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Rip off or not, Ninja Fishing looks like a better game. What makes this version better?

Heel

Enjoying it so far.

Playing on iPad and no problems. The tilt controls are very subtle so it's not like you're flopping the iPad all around.

Top Bottom