• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridiculous Fishing: A Tale of Redemption |OT|

Zia

Basically universal praise on Twitter so far. Well, I think mostly

Deserved, I think. I obviously play a lot of games, and look forward to playing a lot of games, but Ridiculous Fishing is the first game I can remember (period; guess it's been awhile) where I'm constantly thinking about playing it. I went to sleep thinking about it, I got up in the middle of the night because one of our cats dropped a mouse in the bed, snuck into the bathroom and played it, I thought about it while I grocery shopping today. "I just want to go home and play Ridiculous Fishing." That's powerful. I know it won't last, but it's a special little game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I like the game so much I pimped it on both my personal twitter AND the company twitter. That's how good it is!

(and bless a game that is designed to utilize portrait orientation)

I love the cameos of characters from other indie games.

How does the Boot, Bowling Ball, and Oil Drum work? I've met the depth requirements but never start ahead like the items describe.

Jarsonot

Just noticed the mini gun description "Take dead aim on the rich fish". Reference to Bill Murray in Rushmore? My favorite movie!

Double D

Love the game, but here are some minor things I'd like to see in an update.

- let me hit a button to recast immediately. If I screw up I don't want to reel in and shoot a bunch of fish when I'm just trying to go deeper.

- sound options. Hopefully I'm just missing them? Basically if your game won't let me listen to a podcast while playing it, I'm not going to play it a whole lot.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Seem to have run into a strange bug.

If I direct my haul right to the right edge of the screen before it is dragged out of the water, I either get 0 or the full value of the haul, without any shooting segment. Just immediately reports the value of the haul. It's mostly given me the haul value, but once I got zero.

I have the bazooka equipped, but not sure if that's a factor.

edit - nevermind, I think this is intentional. I think the value I'm seeing reported is the value acquired via killings made in the water, while the haul value is zero. Haul value will be zero if the fish don't make it out of the water, and they won't if you have them pushed all the way to the right of the screen.

edit 2- huh, now all but the highest flying fish are bouncing off the surface of the sea, back into the sea, even if I bring them up clear of any obstruction. So I lose almost my whole haul. Hmm. Maybe I'll try closing an reopening the game cos I'm pretty sure that isn't intentional...

nofi

Love the game, but here are some minor things I'd like to see in an update.

- let me hit a button to recast immediately. If I screw up I don't want to reel in and shoot a bunch of fish when I'm just trying to go deeper.

- sound options. Hopefully I'm just missing them? Basically if your game won't let me listen to a podcast while playing it, I'm not going to play it a whole lot.

This. Just dish out like 10% of the value or something.

Fjordson

This is pretty awesome.

Just reached the bottom of the second level. Took me a while. Love how it starts to get really dark when you get near the bottom with all of the weird fish. Lots of neat little touches in this game.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
This game is absurdly fun, and I don't quite understand why. It's like the treasure hunting part of Phantom Hourglass on speed. And machine guns.

HamSandwich

I remember the free flash thing was kinda fun. Neat to see that this finally came out. Gotta wonder though, is this only getting such widespread coverage because Ninja Fishing was such commercial success?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Deserved, I think. I obviously play a lot of games, and look forward to playing a lot of games, but Ridiculous Fishing is the first game I can remember (period; guess it's been awhile) where I'm constantly thinking about playing it. I went to sleep thinking about it, I got up in the middle of the night because one of our cats dropped a mouse in the bed, snuck into the bathroom and played it, I thought about it while I grocery shopping today. "I just want to go home and play Ridiculous Fishing." That's powerful. I know it won't last, but it's a special little game.

KuGsj.gif
, holy shit a real mouse?!

Tash

This is one of these stories I love to ready after all the Drama with the game being copied and all that crap. Good on the guys to have such a huge success!

Zia

KuGsj.gif
, holy shit a real mouse?!

Yeah, she was really proud of herself...

And I agree with those saying there should be a restart button, or even a way to quit to the title screen. When you're shooting for high scores and consistently finish down below 1000m, it's incredibly frustrating to do something stupid and have to lug a bunch of fish up every single time, especially if you've unlocked everything in the store. My only real complaint with the game aside from the lack of quirky achievements.

Shady859

Is it motion control only? Or can you change it to touch in the options?

Motion only

Just noticed this thread. Bought it a few days ago after seeing it on another site. Pretty good time killer while I was waiting at the doctor for 2 hours yesterday. ;) I'm on the third fishing hole and only a few fish from the 4th. Power ups are silly I've got a toaster and hair dryer to electrocute any fish that touch me. Lol

Fox Mulder

First Muffin Knight, now Ninja Fishing. Maybe someday, Vlambeer will find better things to do with their talent than produce shameless knockoffs of what truly creative iOS devs are doing.

I thought muffin knight was the better game actually, but maybe they should stop releasing their games as free flash titles for the world to see before they can make money off them.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Love this game! I finished the main 'story' portion, is the
frozen father at the end a direct continuation of the story from an earlier game?

Where do you get some of the last few fish that are marked as "Writes of fishopedia are not paid enough to catch this" Also, a few of those above that where it says "Location Unknown"? One of them is marked as "It kinda looks like a shrimp"

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
I played the heck out of the last version of this (or was it the clone?) and I don't seem to be feeling it this time around - it's almost like I'm just playing for upgrades to make it less annoying, and sometimes they don't accomplish that goal
$3000 shotgun is bad and should feel bad
. I do like the tangram style, even if it led to accusations of racism. Weirdest thing: it's far more playable on the smaller iPhone screen when turned upside-down - pretend it's space fishing and you don't have to worry about trying to look through your drill finger.

rrs

Auto shotgun/shotgun is the best fish killing device in the game until the 50K bazooka. Seriously, just don't bother with anything else.

Shaneus

No iCloud saving sucks :/ No point in having a universal title when you can't transfer progress between the two. Just means that I need to find which file(s) it uses for the save and transfer them manually (if it's not too much of a pain in the arse).

But it *is* a great game, though. Loving the shit out of it.

Zeth

Trying to unlock fish for the eagleman rank, do the different hats affect which fish spawn? I got the most expensive one but didn't notice anything.

So I've got 5 fish left to catch, and the encyclopedia is of no help. All of the entries say stuff along the lines of "we're not paid enough to look for this fish" or "we have no idea where this fish is". Anywhere that lists how to catch them?

Also, is there any announced future DLC for this game? Kinda wish there were more than 3 areas (+1 neverending area). I don't have any trouble getting to the bottom of the Arctic now.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Fun fact, the game has an ARG to which I stumbled upon by accident, trying to search if Byrdr has any meaning other than mock-rename of Twitter.

www.byrdr.com points to game's backstory and has many hints at the crappy doings of James Eagler as well as hinting that it will eventually explain Billy's motivation for "Redemption". Reddit crew is on it, but they haven't been able to uncover much yet, it seems: http://www.reddit.com/r/IndieGaming/comments/1a481w/ridiculous_fishing_ios_arg_byrdrcom/
There's some kind of relation between Billy, William and James Eagler, but it's unclear what is it yet.

So I've got 5 fish left to catch, and the encyclopedia is of no help. All of the entries say stuff along the lines of "we're not paid enough to look for this fish" or "we have no idea where this fish is". Anywhere that lists how to catch them?
Considering that the solution for the last 4 fish is kind of really arbitrary, I don't think it's much of a spoiler to write it out. Ah hell, I'll spoiler it:

You need to buy and put on that $20000 Hedjet hat. Then, with that hat on, you go to Home Waters, and do the following:
- Slam intentionally into first two fish that you get on your way down to get rid of the hairdryer (or is it hairdrier, wink wink) and the toaster. You need clean lure for this to work, also I'm assuming you have the bowling ball so you start at 100m.
- At around 140m you'll see the rhombus looking small fish, make sure you run into it WITHOUT chainsawing, and it will disappear.
- If you did the above right, the next funny looking fish will appear at around 180m, so run into that one as well just the same.
- If you got both of those, there will be third one at around 220m, just run into it and keep going till the bottom.
- At the bottom there will be the 4th strange fish, and this one you'll pull out and shoot at as usual. After you're done, all four will register as caught.

Your 5th fish is probably something you have to get in the maelstorm waters. The deepest you'll ever have to go to catch everything there is 1km. You can guess where you need to look for a fish based on its position in the fishopedia list. You'll see the boss fish for the first three areas, so if the fish you're missing is positioned above one of the bosses on the list, that means the fish belongs to those waters.

Zia

I just caught one! Took longer to kill with the mini gun than everything else so far. The animation was nice with the blood squirting out of the bullet holes :lol

Wait until you're trying to beat high score on The Maelstrom.
I've had so many good runs where I'm down under 1100m and reach a school of narwhals. You can't saw through them, and there's often not a way through if you started on the wrong side of the screen, so that's usually where I waste my toaster and hairdryer.

Also, I didn't have a lot of time to play earlier in the week so I just gathered all of the fish Thurs or Fri night, I think, and the last four are brilliant. The reference and mechanism for catching them.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Also, I didn't have a lot of time to play earlier in the week so I just gathered all of the fish Thurs or Fri night, I think, and the last four are brilliant. The reference and mechanism for catching them.
I didn't quite pick up what the reference was to be honest? Was it Indy? I assumed it was something, but didn't know what or realized what reference was the hat's name.

Top Bottom