• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift - Dev Kit Discussion [Orders Arriving]

Artex

Banned
My ideal Rift game would just be a walking simulator.

mz8LaK9.gif

syko de4d

Did we ever find out why John Carmack has not been associating himself with the Rift any more / what happened to the planned Doom 3 Rift implementation?

i think he has enough to do with Doom4 after the latest news and we have the doom 3 source code, which allows the community to bring OR to Doom3.

edit: some cool new news:

EVE Online devs debut beautiful first-person space dogfighting title for Oculus Rift

http://penny-arcade.com/report/arti...l-first-person-space-dogfighting-title-for-oc

nice to quote :)
CP enjoys something called the “20 percent rule,” which allows developers to spend up to 20 percent of their time on their own projects.

Once the Oculus Rifts came into the office, a small group of developers got to work creating a dogfighting game set in space, built from the ground up for the Oculus Rift. The result was shown to the public for the first time at Fanfest in Iceland, and the bad news is that it may be some time before it’s available to a wider audience.

I had a chance to play it for myself, and it’s just as good as you’d expect.

Blizzard

Banned
i think he has enough to do with Doom4 after the latest news and we have the doom 3 source code, which allows the community to bring OR to Doom3.

edit: some cool new news:

EVE Online devs debut beautiful first-person space dogfighting title for Oculus Rift

http://penny-arcade.com/report/arti...l-first-person-space-dogfighting-title-for-oc

nice to quote :)
Darn, I'd like to play something like that. Maybe if there is enough interest it will get bumped up the priority list.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Considering being dumb, and just trying to get one on Ebay for double the price.

I need to be shamed out of it.

Order now and get it in June. Aren't most ebay ones preorders too, so you still might not get it until the end of may and pay over the odds for it.

Just buy one from the oculus website

Blizzard

Banned
Order now and get it in June. Aren't most ebay ones preorders too, so you still might not get it until the end of may and pay over the odds for it.

I ordered in January and I feel like I'll be lucky if I get mine in May or June. I wouldn't expect anyone ordering now to get one that early but maybe I'm wrong.

That said, spending a ton of money on eBay is probably not the best bet. Patience pays off! Plus you'll be helping scalpers. :p

LordCanti

syko de4d

Mononoke

Banned

Ah i didn't know some of the ones on Ebay were pre-orders.

I'll just place my order now on the official site, and be patient. :D

Blizzard

Banned
Apparently that roller coaster demo is downloadable too, if anyone wants to try it. (I think one of the youtube videos had a link)

cakefoo

All the Rift listings I've seen have photos of a dev kit in hand. People are essentially paying to skip the wait.

Blizzard

Banned
At least one of the PCARS team (the/a creative director) has a Rift now. His impressions were positive, the same sort of thing you hear from most people. Hopefully more news on that front comes in soon!

YuShtink

man hydra is better than i thought
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWn8Hn-XCds
looks really amazing

Yea it's crazy. Even in the Sixense Tuscany demo without a rift, interacting with the Hydra is almost scary. Can't imagine how powerful it will be when looking at it through the rift, because even having to focus on the monitor while standing to judge my hand positions in the virtual space, it was blowing my mind. Rift+Hydra will almost certainly be the way to go early on in this VR movement.

This video is still mindblowing too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry3w3s_CXcM

The first time I saw him nonchalantly turn and point across the gap as he's holding the wooden beam in his other hand, I nearly shat myself. It just looks so natural. I still can't believe that this kind of technology is here.

clubstoic

Banned
When the consumer version arrives, is it possible to use it as a replacement for a monitor? I was going to build a PC for my primary system. What do I need in preparation for this?

YuShtink

When the consumer version arrives, is it possible to use it as a replacement for a monitor? I was going to build a PC for my primary system. What do I need in preparation for this?

Probably not. You'll still most likely need a regular monitor to navigate your OS and whatnot. Rift-specific games will most likely have menus that will work in the rift, but old retrofitted games and stuff will probably never get them, so unless you don't mind taking out your lenses every time you want to do anything on the computer besides be in a rift compatible game, you'll need a second monitor.

If you have a TV with an HDMI input you could always use that.

Oneironaut

Neo Member
It probably won't be ready for the release of the consumer version, but there are people working on virtual reality desktop environments so that you can do regular computer work in the Rift.

Here is one of the better ones I've seen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I-pGCpl2PE

The low resolution on the dev kit means something like won't work very well right now. Hopefully higher resolutions in the consumer release will make text legible so that we can simulate a 20 monitor setup.

YuShtink

It probably won't be ready for the release of the consumer version, but there are people working on virtual reality desktop environments so that you can do regular computer work in the Rift.

Here is one of the better ones I've seen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I-pGCpl2PE

The low resolution on the dev kit means something like won't work very well right now. Hopefully higher resolutions in the consumer release will make text legible so that we can simulate a 20 monitor setup.

Yea was going to mention this, but like you said, something like this won't really be viable until the resolution gets quite a bit higher, probably more than the consumer version will have.

Mr.Green

There are guys over at the MTBS3D forums that are working on a desktop "sphere" which literally... Okay I won't even try to explain it because 1, my english isn't the best and 2, I haven't received my Rift so I didn't try it myself yet.

I'll link you the thread though:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=17222&sid=2d492e3be8d78843e9e9c8bc62da7b94

You'll probably still want a monitor, though. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I ordered in January and I feel like I'll be lucky if I get mine in May or June. I wouldn't expect anyone ordering now to get one that early but maybe I'm wrong.

That said, spending a ton of money on eBay is probably not the best bet. Patience pays off! Plus you'll be helping scalpers. :p

They've said all kickstarters and preorders up to now will get their rifts by the end of may. Based on the seemingly random and sporadic shipping, who knows if that'll happen, but fingers crossed. The delays give me a chance that the minecraft mod will be ready when I get mine

cakefoo

I wish I got that level of accuracy and lack of lag. :/ Maybe I should try playing with it again, or attempt UDK integration.
It's a split screen video though. That means the feeds could have been/probably were synced as tightly as that person wanted them to look.

Zaptruder

Banned
Hydra will be a nice start to make your game but looks like they working on their own VR Controller, which will be like a Hydra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CRdRc8CcGY&feature=youtu.be&t=3m45s

This is the best and correct approach from Oculus.

The ability to closely control and integrate controller functionality is an important part to making the overall experience work.

Plus you can't divide up the userbase by releasing the full VR experience in parts (at least the most critical elements of it, that can't be replicated with a standard set of traditional elements). Otherwise VR becomes fractured from day 1, and the whole thing turns into a shambolic mess until someone does it right.

Feep

Banned
I now have a Rift.

Mine is still probably a month off, but my friend literally gave me his and told me to give it back when mine comes in. He said he was just too busy, and the OR was a distraction.

I love my friends.

Messed around with the basic stuff tonight. Museum of the Microstar is really cool, but badly coded (low framerate) and has an utterly horrible control scheme. Utterly exhausted...tomorrow I'll try Vireio Perception stuff. = D

Tankshell

I now have a Rift.

Mine is still probably a month off, but my friend literally gave me his and told me to give it back when mine comes in. He said he was just too busy, and the OR was a distraction.

I love my friends.

Messed around with the basic stuff tonight. Museum of the Microstar is really cool, but badly coded (low framerate) and has an utterly horrible control scheme. Utterly exhausted...tomorrow I'll try Vireio Perception stuff. = D

Mind blown. Giving away my Rift after waiting for so long would be like giving up one of my children... if I had any.

Zaptruder

Banned
I now have a Rift.

I love my friends.

... Feep. Feep. Why you make me cry Feep.

Occulus Rift + Galvanic Vestibular Stimulation + Kinect (Or some form of real time motion capture suits like games and movies use) + Virtuix Omni = True VR?

Posted it on the previous page already. Who of the DB crew are you? ;)

Oops, didn't see it - sorry. I was unfortunately out of the office when they were demoing the Rift :(

Luckily, I have my own dev kit on the way. Ordered it in mid-early January, so I'm hoping I'll have it in a month or so.

Feep

Banned
Hooked up my Oculus Rift to my Surface Pro (am I the first person to do this?)

It's really awesome that it works, but the Surface Pro could only run the Tuscany demo at around 25 FPS average...which really destroys the experience. OR absolutely requires a locked 60.

I don't have my devkit yet, but I've been playing around with Unity and the Rift SDK in preparation. Here's a video of some experiments with jetpack controls and multiple gravity sources (just in a regular non-stereo format for now):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnwbay_NTXY

It's my first ever attempt at narration so I kind of ramble a bit, sorry if it's annoying!

I'm almost sure the real thing would make people hurl so I'm not sure how much further down the road I'll go with it. It's fun to play around with though.

YuShtink

Do you guys think a 2010 macbook pro with 2,53 ghz, 8 gb ram and ssd can run the demos efficiently?

Hmmm, I think you could play a lot of these early demos. You can download and run most of the demos without having a Rift, so I would test some of the first OSX ready ones beforehand to see if you can keep them at a steady 60fps. Once modern AAA games start having support, you'll probably need an upgrade if you want to play those. But how many of them would normally be coming to OSX anyway?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't have my devkit yet, but I've been playing around with Unity and the Rift SDK in preparation. Here's a video of some experiments with jetpack controls and multiple gravity sources (just in a regular non-stereo format for now):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnwbay_NTXY

It's my first ever attempt at narration so I kind of ramble a bit, sorry if it's annoying!

I'm almost sure the real thing would make people hurl so I'm not sure how much further down the road I'll go with it. It's fun to play around with though.

I think you either have to stay really close to reality or go completely nuts. A 'like life' simulation that messes with the camera is perhaps more likely to cause motion sickness than an entirely unrealistic game where you're flying around because your brain can make the disconnect?

EVIL

So is it settled now? Is the Hydra the de facto standard for VR with the Rift?

Hydra is a great start controller that's on the market now, but its not build for VR.
This means that while its accurate, its not accurate enough plus you still use buttons and sticks to move around and make your fingers move.

The ideal VR input device would be a sort of glove, or something like this:

vr-virtual-reality-controller-for-ps3.jpg

that gives you per finger control with haptic feedback, so you can feel the surface and really interact with the environment around you.

Something that I was thinking about before that might be more.. user friendly is a simple wristband, that reads the predictable muscle and tendon movements in your wrist and accurately predict the state of each finger.

something like http://www.edailypost.com/myo-wristband-control-gadgets-with-a-simple-hand-gesture. I am pretty sure you could also use electrodes to simulate touch feedback

1-D_FTW

Now we get it. Now we know why the media is so excited by the next generation of virtual reality, and beguiled by Palmer Luckey's Oculus Rift head-mounted display in particular. Don a ready-calibrated unit, dive into a specially prepared demo and the next ten minutes of your life could well redefine your expectations of the next era of gaming.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-oculus-rift

Digital Foundry finally got one and did a write-up.

EDIT: Apparently it's using the same screen as the Nexus 7? Interesting if true. Guess it doesn't leave a lot of hope that the 1080p model is going to have significantly less blur.

Also, the effective resolution (excluding peripheral vision) is approximated at 420X360. They speculate even a 1080p panel is only going to get the effective resolution into the 480p range.

The effect is somewhat akin to playing games standing in front of a stadium Jumbotron - pixels are colossal, and resolution is low to the point where almost all of the text in Team Fortress 2 is completely unreadable. As a consequence, there is clear and obvious motion blur from the LCD too, though this was less of an issue than we thought it would be.

With games available now and the Rift still available for pre-order on the Oculus VR website to anyone who wants one, the question is whether the current hardware is worth its $300 asking price. In truth, we would have to say that the answer is no - certainly right now, it's just too early.

For all its drawbacks, the Rift makes a powerful statement about the future of virtual reality, but even with the dev kit's major issues addressed, we're still a long, long way off from an experience that lives up to the raw potential.

About what my personal expectations are. Super excited about the future, but we've got quite a ways to go.

Top Bottom