• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift - Dev Kit Discussion [Orders Arriving]

Blizzard

Banned
Well the difference here is that you can look around without changing your movement trajectory or the aim of your weapon. When on the move I would imagine a turn of the head is much easier than swiveling your entire character around then having to adjust the directional keys in the process.For engineers especially they can keep their wrench pointed toward theeir buildings and continue repairing while taking their eyes off them to glance around on occasion. When you're in situations where your gun's being pinned down by long range rockets or heavy minigun fire, every whack counts, and this makes doing that while still being wary of spies much easier.
Having a rear view mirror while firing a gun or a wrench in the direct opposite direction seems like it would be viewed as cheating -- does the current Rift setup let you do that? It would be like playing TF2 in third-person mode, which is mostly just allowed in taunt cam.

There is a new, supposedly awesome, demo for you Rifters out there.

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/1dbdmo/new_video_and_first_public_test_build_of_my_space/

Would love to hear some more impressions!

Needs some combat tuning, but just sitting and looking around the cockpit is pretty neat. I like the idea of having screens surround you that you need to look down and around to see.

Though I think space environments might be a challenge to keep from looking like you're in a small planetarium.

huzzah, it's arrived:) my order never changed from Processing to shipped and yet here it is.

First impressions: Blurry. Changing the lenses fixed that.

The space dogfighting demo is probably my favourite thing at the moment, just looking around the cockpit and circling asteroids is fun. but playing Tuscany with Rift and the Hydra was something out of my teenage wet dreams.

The last time I tried a VR set-up was that pteradactyls game in the mid-90's which was terribly slow, laggy, blurry, low frame-rate and cost au$4 for about 4 minutes of play. It was a point in time where I went "oh, VR is actually crap". So this is miles and miles beyond that.

Now to free up some time so I can investigate the SDK & Unity/udk integration.

Eventually, they'll have a great HMD. But I just can't see Sony leading the charge here.

I mean... Sony is a company of slow starts and near misses these days. Some in their company are piqued in their interest over the OR, much like the rest of the gaming world. But it doesn't seem like a company that can get that interest from one side to the side that is capable of actually making a product that can compete with the OR.

But I'd prefer it if OR sets the standard first before Sony starts to muscle in - fracturing VR at this point is just asking for broken hopes and dreams.

And I don't just mean the headset - I mean the whole VR shebang - the HMD, the controllers, the camera and all the ancillary pieces needed to make it work as well as VR should work.

The frustrating thing about Sony is that they actually do have all the pieces (HMD, Move, Eye) in seperate parts... but if they would have the vision to put it together - then they would've already done so by now!

Sony had a few pretty crappy HMDs already. The last one was butt, but a more Rift-ish one would be welcome.

Feep

Banned
Yo, Rift-folk!

So, I got the Rift Friday night, then headed to a 24-hour codeathon thing called AngelHack on Saturday at around 2. I made a small little Oculus Rift game with my buddy James and promptly won a thousand dollar prize. (You can imagine I was suddenly a very popular person in that room of two hundred nerds.)

The demo was originally conceived as a typing game (like typing of the dead), but since I'm personally working on a voice controlled title and had already gotten voice recognition up and running in Unity, it only took an hour or so to integrate it in. So, you can either type the words you see, or you can just say them into a microphone. Saying them, of course, is much easier, but it would be a great game for a child or someone learning English as a second language, maybe.

It's a devious typing game, too, since YOU CAN'T LOOK DOWN AT THE KEYBOARD. Hope your touch typing skills are up to par!

And yeah, I know there are a few bugs. I'm too lazy to fix them. = D

Enjoy!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3299208/BuzzWords.zip

red731

Feep, any video of your creation? Or maybe yt channel to follow you?
I don't have rift, but would like to see that.

Also good job you famous mister you!

Zaptruder

Banned
Yo, Rift-folk!

So, I got the Rift Friday night, then headed to a 24-hour codeathon thing called AngelHack on Saturday at around 2. I made a small little Oculus Rift game with my buddy James and promptly won a thousand dollar prize. (You can imagine I was suddenly a very popular person in that room of two hundred nerds.)

The demo was originally conceived as a typing game (like typing of the dead), but since I'm personally working on a voice controlled title and had already gotten voice recognition up and running in Unity, it only took an hour or so to integrate it in. So, you can either type the words you see, or you can just say them into a microphone. Saying them, of course, is much easier, but it would be a great game for a child or someone learning English as a second language, maybe.

It's a devious typing game, too, since YOU CAN'T LOOK DOWN AT THE KEYBOARD. Hope your touch typing skills are up to par!

And yeah, I know there are a few bugs. I'm too lazy to fix them. = D

Enjoy!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3299208/BuzzWords.zip

Can't get the voice control working.

Kinda cool, but very lacking in gameplay right now.

Maybe if you had letters missing from the floating words and the aim was to complete the word... or have jumbled words - with the first and last letters remaining.

Still, nice showcase of the kinds of things you might do differently in VR compared to normal games.

Feep

Banned
Can't get the voice control working.

Kinda cool, but very lacking in gameplay right now.

Maybe if you had letters missing from the floating words and the aim was to complete the word... or have jumbled words - with the first and last letters remaining.

Still, nice showcase of the kinds of things you might do differently in VR compared to normal games.
Do you have the most recent .NET framework installed? You probably need it.

Yeah, it's meant to be more an educational tool than an actual game. (I had ideas on Taboo-style word blocking, or coming up with an antonym, or something...) The truth is, we had a hard twenty-four hour time limit, so this is what we were able to manage.

Here's a video.

Zaptruder

Banned
Do you have the most recent .NET framework installed? You probably need it.

Yeah, it's meant to be more an educational tool than an actual game. (I had ideas on Taboo-style word blocking, or coming up with an antonym, or something...) The truth is, we had a hard twenty-four hour time limit, so this is what we were able to manage.

Here's a video.

It's very cute. Enough promise to justify an extra day or two's worth of work to make it compellling.

And thanks for the tip. Installing now.

Tankshell

huzzah, it's arrived:) my order never changed from Processing to shipped and yet here it is.

Great news! How long was your order status on "Processing" for before it arrived? Mine has been on "Processing" for over a week now, but no further status changes or shipping info, or deliveries =0)

T

I got the shipping confirmation today. Mine had been processing for a bit over a week. It'd scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I am very excited.

Quantum

got UPS notification this morning - will be here by the EOD.

never updated from processing to shipping (unless you count the e-mail this morning and rift arriving 8 hours later)

#418X

(4000's)

lilltias

I just tried the Oculus Rift. It was the weirdest of things, it was the best of things. Almost an hour later and I am still feeling the motion sickness but holy cow that was amaze.

I think you either have to stay really close to reality or go completely nuts. A 'like life' simulation that messes with the camera is perhaps more likely to cause motion sickness than an entirely unrealistic game where you're flying around because your brain can make the disconnect?

Very possibly yes.

If anyone wants to try it out though, I have demos available now!

Windows Universal version - should start in stereo if a Rift is connected, single-camera if not: http://www.beowulf99.com/Unity/ProjectJ.rar

OSX Universal version: http://www.beowulf99.com/Unity/ProjectJ_OSX.rar

Forced Rift version: http://www.beowulf99.com/Unity/ProjectJ_Rift.rar

The level is based on the awesome Destroyed City Free from Profi Developers.

I don't actually have my devkit yet so if anyone has any suggestions on improving the experience please let me know. There's currently no gameplay outside of playing with the jetpack and the planetoids above you, but I'm working on adding some simple goals next.

It's possible the reorientation that occurs when the gravity vector changes might make you ill if you're using a Rift, be forewarned!

Controls:

• Joypad right stick or WASD - run, thrust direction
  • Joypad left stick or mouselook - turn character, and look up down if no Rift connected
  • Joypad right trigger or left mouse button - thrust
  • Joypad left trigger or right mouse button - thrust downwards (kind of a fixed retro rocket)
  • Joypad Y or R key - hold to reorient to world
  • T key - Speed up time
  • Shift-T key - fast reverse time
  • N key - Normal time-of-day timescale (by default it's faster)

Blizzard

Banned
Very possibly yes.

If anyone wants to try it out though, I have demos available for Windows now!

Rift version: http://www.beowulf99.com/Unity/ProjectJ_Rift.rar

Non-Rift (formatted for a monitor; anyone can play this, no devkit required): http://www.beowulf99.com/Unity/ProjectJ_NonRift.rar

I don't actually have my devkit yet so if anyone has any suggestions on improving the experience please let me know. There's currently no gameplay outside of playing with the jetpack and the planetoids above you, but I'm working on adding some simple goals next.

It's possible the reorientation that occurs when the gravity vector changes might make you ill if you're using a Rift, be forewarned!

Controls:

• Joypad left stick or mouselook - turn character, and look up down if no Rift connected
  • Joypad left trigger or right mouse button - thrust downwards (kind of a fixed retro rocket)
  • T key - Speed up time
Cool -- are you using the professional version, or does the Unity trial license permit distribution? There were questions about that given the license restrictions on the trial version and I don't know if they were ever answered.

Cool -- are you using the professional version, or does the Unity trial license permit distribution? There were questions about that given the license restrictions on the trial version and I don't know if they were ever answered.

It's a licensed Pro version. My understanding is that you're not supposed to distribute builds from the trial version. Seems a bit unfair to me if it's not for profit.

Blizzard

Banned
It's a licensed Pro version. My understanding is that you're not supposed to distribute builds from the trial version. Seems a bit unfair to me if it's not for profit.
Yup, I think it would make total sense to let people distribute non-commercial/non-profit demos with the trial version. Seems crazy otherwise.

Yup, I think it would make total sense to let people distribute non-commercial/non-profit demos with the trial version. Seems crazy otherwise.

Yeah I agree. Especially with the four-month trial they're giving along with the devkit. Are people just not supposed to release any demos in that time? Seems unnecessarily restrictive.

Very possibly yes.

If anyone wants to try it out though, I have demos available for Windows now!

Rift version: http://www.beowulf99.com/Unity/ProjectJ_Rift.rar

Non-Rift (formatted for a monitor; anyone can play this, no devkit required): http://www.beowulf99.com/Unity/ProjectJ_NonRift.rar

Controls:

• T key - Speed up time

awesome. this will definitely be on my plate for tomorrow night when I hopefully have my rift. I tried out the none rift version, and I'm already excited to see it again in VR.

TheExodu5

Banned
Scheduled Delivery:
Friday, 05/03/2013, By End of Day

ehlxld.gif

Great news! How long was your order status on "Processing" for before it arrived? Mine has been on "Processing" for over a week now, but no further status changes or shipping info, or deliveries =0)

T

not sure a week or so i think. I wasn't religiously checking. But i'm in Australia and the order no. was around 3300 if that helps.

Very possibly yes.

If anyone wants to try it out though, I have demos available now!

Hey I had a go of this last night, it was pretty neat. Nice sense of height, flying up and standing on the spheres gave me a real kind of vertigo moment, which I never have and I totally enjoyed. Made me wonder about the potential of this kind of stuff to treat height phobias hah.

Hey I had a go of this last night, it was pretty neat. Nice sense of height, flying up and standing on the spheres gave me a real kind of vertigo moment, which I never have and I totally enjoyed. Made me wonder about the potential of this kind of stuff to treat height phobias hah.

Awesome, thanks for trying it out :) I've got lots of ideas to keep going on it. One thing I'd like to do is get it networked. Believe it or not the biggest obstacle for that is a player model. I'd like one that's rigged for Mecanim and has a jetpack. I'll have to see if there's anything usable and cheap on the asset store.

twdnewh_k

Website says that any orders made now will be sent out in June.

Is it worth ordering now? Worried that the consumer model date will be announced soon.
Also, how reliable are their shipping date estimates?

Thanks

Sho Nuff

Banned
Awesome, thanks for trying it out :) I've got lots of ideas to keep going on it. One thing I'd like to do is get it networked. Believe it or not the biggest obstacle for that is a player model. I'd like one that's rigged for Mecanim and has a jetpack. I'll have to see if there's anything usable and cheap on the asset store.

Hey this is great. We played it at the office and when people stuck to the floating spheres and started walking upside down there were audible gasps. Definitely the coolest thing I've experienced in the Rift. More! More!

LordCanti

Website says that any orders made now will be sent out in June.

Is it worth ordering now? Worried that the consumer model date will be announced soon.
Also, how reliable are their shipping date estimates?

Thanks

It's May 1st and they've sent out maybe 3k/4k of 10k (maybe less, I forget) kickstarter Rift's and seem to be going at a rate of 1k a week or so. The math doesn't look great for a June delivery if you're ordering right now. If you order one now, you can probably recoup on Ebay if you just absolutely hate it or if they announce the release date of the second DevKit model.

I'll be thrilled if I can get my kickstarter Rift before May is up. I'm not even in processing status yet.

Mononoke

Banned
It's May 1st and they've sent out maybe 3k/4k of 10k (maybe less, I forget) kickstarter Rift's and seem to be going at a rate of 1k a week or so. The math doesn't look great for a June delivery if you're ordering right now. If you order one now, you can probably recoup on Ebay if you just absolutely hate it or if they announce the release date of the second DevKit model.

I'll be thrilled if I can get my kickstarter Rift before May is up. I'm not even in processing status yet.

I don't have much time off these days, and as a graduation present from college I was considering just paying twice the price on eBay to have this for my summer (going to Grad school in August).

However, 99% of the listings on there for Oculus are so shady. Sellers with low feedback totals, with feedback padded by the same users over and over. I think I saw one legit oculus sell the other day, but it's rare. Probably just going to order one officially and get that shit in late August.

Edit: although some listings went up to $900 + lol that's too ridiculous.

LordCanti

I don't have much time off these days, and as a graduation present from college I was considering just paying twice the price on eBay to have this for my summer (going to Grad school in August).

However, 99% of the listings on there for Oculus are so shady. Sellers with low feedback totals, with feedback padded by the same users over and over. I think I saw one legit oculus sell the other day, but it's rare. Probably just going to order one officially and get that shit in late August.

Edit: although some listings went up to $900 + lol that's too ridiculous.

Buyer's are so ridiculously protected on Ebay that I wouldn't ever worry about buying something. If something goes wrong, there's a damn good chance that Ebay/Paypal are going to side with you.

700-900 is probably a more realistic price to pay right now though. People wait till the last second in an attempt to snipe each other, and that seems like where the price usually ends up. I've considered trying to get some sort of "I'll pay you to trade me Rift queue positions" type of action going, but I've never gotten around to it.

ido

During the kickstarter. I was order number 5300 ish. I am in the US.

Wow. I wonder how long the people who ordered in April-May will end up having to wait.

I think it's worth the wait, though. I consider the Rift a piece of history myself. The catalyst to what will hopefully be the beginning of a new VR revitalization.

Mononoke

Banned
Buyer's are so ridiculously protected on Ebay that I wouldn't ever worry about buying something. If something goes wrong, there's a damn good chance that Ebay/Paypal are going to side with you.

700-900 is probably a more realistic price to pay right now though. People wait till the last second in an attempt to snipe each other, and that seems like where the price usually ends up. I've considered trying to get some sort of "I'll pay you to trade me Rift queue positions" type of action going, but I've never gotten around to it.

Yeah I actually noticed the prices on past auctions went up to $900 +

Jeez. I had been following some auctions for the past 2 weeks, but never looked on the final date, as I hadn't gotten paid yet. So they were always at $600-650. Crazy that they jumped so high in the final bidding (dat snipe).

But yeah, I dont think I could pay that much for something that is just $300 and also not even the full version. Just for the sake of getting it 4 months early, I would pay double that. But not triple. My stupidity has its limits! I'm still sketch on some of these listings though. I know that Pay Pal covers you, but $700 is a lot to have tied up for a month + without having something to enjoy.

Hey this is great. We played it at the office and when people stuck to the floating spheres and started walking upside down there were audible gasps. Definitely the coolest thing I've experienced in the Rift. More! More!

That's awesome man, thanks :) More will come!

Zaptruder

Banned
Just simulated by walking on the spot idea by way of a hydra translational tracking demo.

Found here: https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=490

And it really does work quite well.

I mean, it's not as though you're walking 1 to 1 - but compared to simply sliding forward with a controller, it gives a much more compelling and solid feeling of movement - creates a natural head bob to the visual, which in turn creates a much more solid sense to the visuals of movement. Also it engages your proprioception - if the syncrony was of a high enough quality (i.e. it moves rythmically forwards in accordance with the upswing of your knees and downstrike of your feet), then it would create a sufficiently convincing illusion I think.

The hip swing of forward movement is simply one of a few factors of creating the sensation of movement - not necessarily the most critical one either.

This thing is going to be amazing with proper translational tracking + full body motion tracking.

I've just returned from the Tuscany / Sixsense demo as my first experience of VR. It's very weird, and very awesome. It's a whole new level of 3D and immersion. Doing okay motion sickness wise so far. I think I was in there 20 minutes or so and I feel fine.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That Heli demo looks great with the hydra.

Can someone put together a list of demos to try? I was going to start downloading some before my rift arrives, but they're updated so often I figure its better to wait until it comes, so instead it'd be good to have a list of the best demos

LordCanti

New update (check your e-mails). The bits most of us care about:

Quick Shipping Update

As of May 1st, we've shipped roughly 3,700 development kits to backers worldwide (and we have more units in transit from the factory to our global warehouses).

The breakdown thus far:
~500 to Asia and Oceania
~700 to Europe
~2,500 to North America

Our production rate continues to improve, and we're currently building around 1,250 development kits each week. We're now setup with new fulfillment centers in Europe and Asia, which should reduce delivery times for international backers.

Doing the math, about 4 more weeks should cover the rest of the kickstarter orders (maybe 3, depending on how many Rift's are "in transit from the factory" currently and not included in that 3700 figure).

So 9 months from the end of the kickstarter to the last backer getting their Rift. Not bad for a brand new product, all things considered (especially the month holiday the factory took at a crucial time). It was (and is) still a hell of a wait for the future.

Zaptruder

Banned
That Heli demo looks great with the hydra.

Can someone put together a list of demos to try? I was going to start downloading some before my rift arrives, but they're updated so often I figure its better to wait until it comes, so instead it'd be good to have a list of the best demos

http://theriftlist.com/

http://mappur.com/oculus-rift

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=fa75dcec2898e5d69f118e9bf257b709

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=29&sid=fa75dcec2898e5d69f118e9bf257b709

LordCanti

Jeez. I hope not. Palmer said not too long ago that any order before April1st will have shipped by the end of May. I am a preorder, 44Kish. So I am grasping on every straw I can.

Your place in the queue is estimated around 11k. With 3700 shipped, that's down to about 7300. 7300/1250 is 5.84, so basically about 6 weeks from now at the current production rates. There's no way to adjust for where you are in the world (higher number people are getting fulfilled in those areas so they can ship in bulk) but it's a decent rough estimate. So you're looking at mid-June, basically, unless their production can ramp up.

Disclaimer: Any faulty math due to alcohol, lack of sleep, and current status of: Packing my shit into boxes so I can move on Friday

Top Bottom