• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift - Dev Kit Discussion [Orders Arriving]

Am I being foolish for hoping that Sony announces support for the Oculus Rift? It would be the megaton of the year, if Sony came out on stage a announced a partnership with the Oculus folks, and that the PS4 would be getting its own Sony branded Rift Headset.

LordCanti

Am I being foolish for hoping that Sony announces support for the Oculus Rift? It would be the megaton of the year, if Sony came out on stage a announced a partnership with the Oculus folks, and that the PS4 would be getting its own Sony branded Rift Headset.

Oculus ultimately needs a Sony or a Microsoft to come in and save them from the inevitable patent trolls.

I think it would make sense for either to do it, considering that the Rift isn't that difficult to integrate and it wouldn't cost a whole lot in the long run, but I don't know if they'd be willing to jump in on the ground floor. Sony would be wise to do so though, because their HMD's aren't really going anywhere (not at the current price) and this gives them a real product without a whole lot of additional R&D.

syko de4d

i must say i would love MS support more, just because of Kinect2. If kinect2 is really fast and accurate you really want it for VR ^^

Man

i must say i would love MS support more, just because of Kinect2. If kinect2 is really fast and accurate you really want it for VR ^^
Kinect 2 has natural lag of 60ms (on top of actual software latency). PS Move would be a better fit as it has latency of 22ms (also has sub-pixel precision).

SparkTR

Wouldn't they develop their own? Regardless VR does not sound like the kind of technology console manufacturers want to be their showcase peripheral. For gaming they need something that's easily conveyed and inviting to onlookers, and fits in a social living room environment. VR is basically the antithesis of that, even their HMD was marketed more as a 'personal theatre' for movies. Though the bigger issue would be the stringent requirements for games to run at.

If the OR proves itself successful with the consumer version then I can see something happening.

Alias Greed

Neo Member
Wouldn't they develop their own?

They could but Oculis doesn't even have a consumer version and it's already had name recognition.

Regardless VR does not sound like the kind of technology console manufacturers want to be their showcase peripheral. For gaming they need something that's easily conveyed and inviting to onlookers, and fits in a social living room environment. VR is basically the antithesis of that, even their HMD was marketed more as a 'personal theatre' for movies. Though the bigger issue would be the stringent requirements for games to run at.

If the OR proves itself successful with the consumer version then I can see something happening.

VR and the Oculus in particular is something that a person only has to try once before they'll happy evangelize to everyone how cool it is.

Also the Oculus guys would benefit greatly from Sony manufacturing and supply chains.

I honestly believe that if ether MS or Sony where to announce an Oculus partnership, they'll almost guarantee their victory next generation.

LordCanti

Isn't this the same thing or same concept as Oculus Rift ?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/21/sonys-hmz-t2-3d-headset-at-tgs-gaming-at-close-range-video/

Sony would probably make its own version.

Those are like a theater screen at a distance; The Oculus Rift is a screen wrapped around your entire field of vision, with head tracking.

I honestly believe that if ether MS or Sony where to announce an Oculus partnership, they'll almost guarantee their victory next generation.

They're not going to win a generation with a $300-ish dollar peripheral unless they can convince people that Call of Duty is just that much better with the Oculus Rift.

SparkTR

They could but Oculis doesn't even have a consumer version and it's already had name recognition.

VR and the Oculus in particular is something that a person only has to try once before they'll happy evangelize to everyone how cool it is.

For hardcore gamers and tech fans it would indeed go a long way, they're definitely the most important aspect of this 'innovating' stage. But the most 'mainstream' the OR has gotten so far was with Jimmy Fallon, and both him and the audience seemed pretty indifferent/confused at what the thing was. I definitely think the mainstream appeal of this device is a being exaggerated at this early stage, I'd much sooner expect the IllumiRoom tech Microsoft was touting to be supported before this does on their platform, similar with other tech with Sony.

Man

While I don't believe an Oculus VR device would win anyone the generation I would think it would be smart of Sony to lunge at Oculus just as much as MS lunged at PrimeSense for the creation of Kinect. PrimeSense are still independent of MS I was told yesterday (they are delivering the sensor to Samsung TVs etc).

ido

Sweet. Mine shipped.

Looking forward to this, guys. I'm a long time VR hobbyist, and this is pretty damn exciting for me.

Edit: wow, nevermind. It was at my front door! I did not even notice it last night.

Hzoltan69

Oculus not being able to meet any (self-set) deadlines is getting annoying (and worrying, to be honest). I can imagine how Kickstarter backers must feel, heck I'm just a January pre-order guy (order 44something), but when I placed the order estimated shipment was April, recently they said they would fulfil all pre-orders by the end of May, now based on their numbers, the earliest I can expect is end of June...

Tankshell

Sweet. Mine shipped.

Looking forward to this, guys. I'm a long time VR hobbyist, and this is pretty damn exciting for me.

Edit: wow, nevermind. It was at my front door! I did not even notice it last night.

That's some quick shipping.

*Receives shipping email*
*Walks to front door*
*Receives Rift*
*Partay!*

Let us know your impressions...

=0)

Clydebink

Neo Member
VR does not sound like the kind of technology console manufacturers want to be their showcase peripheral. For gaming they need something that's easily conveyed and inviting to onlookers, and fits in a social living room environment. VR is basically the antithesis of that, even their HMD was marketed more as a 'personal theatre' for movies. Though the bigger issue would be the stringent requirements for games to run at.

Wait until you see an ad where CG grandma is pushing her CG grandkids on a CG swing. Then they take off their helmets and you find out that they are in completly different climate zones!

Not to mention the ads where a couple goes for a walk through Venice; the twist is that the lady ain't got no legs.

This device has the potential of making a brand the brand that sells you the future. Of course most folks won't use it, but they'll buy it.

n0n44m

w00t !

*You're receiving this email because your Oculus order will be advancing to "Processing" status in the next 24 hours.*

I'm Order ID 5600&something, Purchase Date: Aug 6 ... I kinda remember that when I backed on Kickstarter there were ~3700 other backers, so it fits in with their

"As of May 1st, we've shipped roughly 3,700 development kits backers worldwide"

statement from yesterday's update

I'm in the Netherlands, so let's see how fast that new European fulfillment center is :)

(damn I realize I gotta get up-to-date about the Rift developments in this topic and other sites, have been busy the past few weeks)

edit : also the Razer Hydra 50% off coupon (at the Razer webstore) has been extended for another month ! I'm ordering it tonight I guess as it does seem the best VR controller after skimming through the topic ?

ido

That's some quick shipping.

*Receives shipping email*
*Walks to front door*
*Receives Rift*
*Partay!*

Let us know your impressions...

=0)

It was pretty awesome. Checked email and saw a shipped notice. Went to check tracking, and it said delivered. Sure enough it was at my damn front door.

Now I have to work all day knowing it has arrived. Fuckles.

Haven't the Oculus guys repeatedly stated that they're not looking for a buyout? In any case I don't see either company attempting to integrate VR until the Rift is demonstrated to be successful

LordCanti

Haven't the Oculus guys repeatedly stated that they're not looking for a buyout? In any case I don't see either company attempting to integrate VR until the Rift is demonstrated to be successful

Everyone has a price. Personally, if this continues to go well, I could see Valve scooping them up. They were researching VR headsets anyway, and why spend R&D money to continue that when you could just spend it on a product that is already in development?

Mr.Green

This is from Brendan Iribe's LinkedIn page:
Co-founder and CEO of Oculus - developers of the highly anticipated virtual reality (VR) headset, Oculus Rift, which launched on Kickstarter with the support of top video game developers worldwide. Visit: http://oculusvr.com

Led the product team at Gaikai, the innovative GPU cloud company that's transforming the way video games are distributed. (acquired by Sony)

Former co-founder and CEO of Scaleform, the #1 user interface (UI) technology provider in the video game market. (acquired by Autodesk)

Frequent speaker at game conferences:
Game Developers Conference's (GDC), Korean Game Conference (KGC), GameTech, Flash in The Can (FITC), NVIDIA GPU Tech Conference (GTC), Adobe Flash Summit, and more.

Emphasis mine. Call me crazy but I can see a trend in there...

Kinect 2 has natural lag of 60ms (on top of actual software latency). PS Move would be a better fit as it has latency of 22ms (also has sub-pixel precision).

Where is that 60ms coming from anyway? Did I miss a leak or something?

Man

Where is that 60ms coming from anyway? Did I miss a leak or something?
kinect-2.0.png

Mr.Green

Okay... And what am I looking at? Where is this coming from? How legit is this?

Anyway, 60 ms wouldn't be acceptable as a head tracking solution for an HMD but for body tracking it should be pretty good if these numbers are to be believed.

Has anyone else tried that hydra positional tracking posted earlier in the thread? I couldn't get it working with head tracking and warping. I'd ask Zaptruder who posted it, but I see he isn't currently with us for some reason.

TheExodu5

Banned
it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here

Quite excited then. I look forward to your impressions.

ido

I plan to try out the roller coaster first so I can let my wife try it and record her reaction.

Think I will be using the B lenses. What is everyone else using here?

TheExodu5

Banned
This has to be the best packaging I've seen for any hardware system ever. Fantastic portable box that properly protects your stuff, and more cables/adapters than you'd ever need.

TheExodu5

Banned
Alright, everything is hooked up, now I need to figure out how to play something.

Also, although I'm super hyped for this, I will be very critical. Let's see how this goes.

First thing: comfort. Without the top strap, the pressure on my face feels pretty heavy. The top strap helps a lot here. The only thing that's kind of uncomfortable is that my eyelashes touch the lenses...kind of annoying as I feel it every time I blink. I wish the padding was customizable...if I could pad the bottom a little bit, it would prop up the headset and then my eyelashes wouldn't touch.

TheExodu5

Banned
Hmmmm...the Rift has tearing for me with the Tuscany demo. Anyone know how to fix that? I have it set to duplicate my desktop.

First 5 second impressions: the screendoor effect and resolution are way worse than I anticipated. It's like looking at a DSi XL from less than a foot away, if I had to compare it to anything. That being said, the realism/immersion is better than I expected. It feels so damned natural...wow.

Persona86

Banned
Hmmmm...the Rift has tearing for me with the Tuscany demo. Anyone know how to fix that? I have it set to duplicate my desktop.

First 5 second impressions: the screendoor effect and resolution are way worse than I anticipated. It's like looking at a DSi XL from less than a foot away, if I had to compare it to anything. That being said, the realism/immersion is better than I expected. It feels so damned natural...wow.

So it's like wearing some dodgy screen door style glasses? :D

Blizzard

Banned
Alright, everything is hooked up, now I need to figure out how to play something.

Also, although I'm super hyped for this, I will be very critical. Let's see how this goes.

First thing: comfort. Without the top strap, the pressure on my face feels pretty heavy. The top strap helps a lot here. The only thing that's kind of uncomfortable is that my eyelashes touch the lenses...kind of annoying as I feel it every time I blink. I wish the padding was customizable...if I could pad the bottom a little bit, it would prop up the headset and then my eyelashes wouldn't touch.
Make sure you read all the instructions since it's a devkit and not ready for consumer use. ;) Otherwise you'll be frustrated with issues, get headaches from the wrong IPD in TF2, and so forth.

And about eyelashes, did you try using the adjustment dial to move the lenses away from your eyes? You might be able to fine tune it. Or just trim all your eyelashes off, the Rift is clearly worth it!

Try both the standalone and the Unity versions of hte Tuscany demo. And TRIPLE check to make sure you don't have some override setting in graphics card drivers that would prevent vsync from working.

TheExodu5

Banned
Make sure you read all the instructions since it's a devkit and not ready for consumer use. ;) Otherwise you'll be frustrated with issues, get headaches from the wrong IPD in TF2, and so forth.

And about eyelashes, did you try using the adjustment dial to move the lenses away from your eyes? You might be able to fine tune it. Or just trim all your eyelashes off, the Rift is clearly worth it!

I didn't realize I could do that. The panflet it comes with doesn't have much information.

Try both the standalone and the Unity versions of hte Tuscany demo. And TRIPLE check to make sure you don't have some override setting in graphics card drivers that would prevent vsync from working.

Apparently the issue comes from duplicating the display. From the manual:

In duplicate monitor mode it is common for the supported video timing information to be different across
the participating monitors, even when displaying the same resolution. When this occurs the video scans on
each display will be out of sync and the software vertical sync mechanism will be associated with only one
of the displays. In other words, swap-chain buffer switches (for example following a glSwapBuffers or
Direct3D Present call) will only occur at the correct time for one of the displays, and ‘tearing’ will occur
on the other display. In the case of the Rift, tearing is very distracting, and so ideally we’d like to force it
to have vertical sync priority. Unfortunately, the ability to do this is not something that we’ve found to be
currently exposed in system APIs.

So it's like wearing some dodgy screen door style glasses? :D

yeah. it's way sub SD, at least in terms of how much detail you can make out in things at the center of your vision, but it's still really cool. 1080p panel would probably get you to SD detail levels at the center of your vision.

I just played some TF2 with the hydra and I need to tweak the modes on that a bit. I can't get anything approaching the feeling that I'm looking at something 1:1 scale when I use the virieo perception drivers yet. I haven't been able to warps my ahead around the in game calibration tool at all.

I visited the microstar, which was pretty cool. Road a roller coaster around Epic citadel, which was also cool. I think Tuscany + sixense is still my favorite thing yet.

The heliheli demonstration had some sort of hydra thing going on. it was doing translational movement based on my left hydra, but it wasn't doing forwards and backwards, just side to side and up and down. It was still cool though. Unfortunately that game is all wacky on my joypad, so I haven't flown around much yet. Keyboard does not strike me as a good way to fly.

I still want to get that positional headtracking demo working though. Maybe zaptruder will come back from negative space in a few days.

I didn't realize I could do that. The panflet it comes with doesn't have much information.

you should be able to make the rift the primary display in duplicated mode which will resolve this. in my AMD drivers it's done by selecting 'Make preferred' in the Creating and Arranging Desktops option under Desktop Management in Catalyst Control Center.

1-D_FTW

I thought this was a common issue with duplicating and could be corrected by switching which display is primary. Can you re-designate in Windows so the Rift is your primary display and the monitor the duplicate? You used to be able to get rid of tearing on HDTVs by doing this.

EDIT: Beaten.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ahh okay I'll do that. Besides making it the primary display, it seems that setting the resolution to my primary display resolution does the trick as well.

Blizzard

Banned
To be honest, that demo isn't really doing it for me. The lack of translation in the cockpit is what kills it, I think. It feels quite static and for some reason I don't even feel the need to move my head from the center.
Since we're all picking on you, you might want to try downloading the UDK from the Oculus site next and check out the cathedral (with or without flight mode).

Bear in mind that you may need to do some console commands or .ini file tuning with that to get supersampling working, turn on the rift, etc. There's information and people around this thread to help with it if you are interested.

To be honest, that demo isn't really doing it for me. The lack of translation in the cockpit is what kills it, I think. It feels quite static and for some reason I don't even feel the need to move my head from the center.

if you have a hydra, Heli Island (download it here) has translation. it just took me a while to figure out how to get it working properly. you want to attach the hydra to your upper torso somewhere before launching the game. you also ideally want to have the hydra on while launching the game.

and just... yeah. wow. hands down new favourite experience.

Syko, I'd love to see something similar added to First Law, and I'd love to see the ship in First Law feel like it has a bit more weight to it. First Law really impressed me, but damnit, if simple translation implementation like in Heli Island already has merely requires that I stick a hydra controller in my shirt pocket, it's going to be easily achievable for any cockpit kind of game!

Since we're all picking on you, you might want to try downloading the UDK from the Oculus site next and check out the cathedral (with or without flight mode).

Bear in mind that you may need to do some console commands or .ini file tuning with that to get supersampling working, turn on the rift, etc. There's information and people around this thread to help with it if you are interested.
I got that stuff all working last night myself, but I feel the default FOV is too low. I didn't find the command to tweak this yet. Any pointers?

TheExodu5

Banned
Gonna try out the UDK stuff later, for sure.

Gave TF2 a shot. Man, the low resolution is super apparent. The game looks super blurry...I can't even read the text. It was actually way easier to play with the Rift than I would have thought though...I was running around as a scout blasting people left and right, and playing as fast as I normally would. So far, I haven't experienced even the slightest bit of discomfort or motion sickness. I can get up and move around and it doesn't even bother me.

syko de4d

Gave TF2 a shot. Man, the low resolution is super apparent. The game looks super blurry...I can't even read the text. It was actually way easier to play with the Rift than I would have thought though...I was running around as a scout blasting people left and right, and playing as fast as I normally would. So far, I haven't experienced even the slightest bit of discomfort or motion sickness. I can get up and move around and it doesn't even bother me.

GZ, you are one of the humans with a fully VR compatible Brain, your future is safe ^^

edit: Oculus should send a survey to ALL Oculus Rift Dev Users about Motion sickness. Where they get it, how bad it is etc.
Should help :)

Blizzard

Banned
I got that stuff all working last night myself, but I feel the default FOV is too low. I didn't find the command to tweak this yet. Any pointers?
I would guess they may have tried to lock the UDK FOV to the "correct" value for the Oculus FOV. However, you could try bringing up the console with ~ and typing "fov 110" or something similar on the offchance that it works.

Heh, the only thing that's weird is that when I come back to the real world, it feels strange to move my head left/right.
Unrelated to Oculus Rift, but after playing Fez last night, I was looking at a computer screen and I kept wanting to rotate windows in 3D or something.

Top Bottom