• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 architect knew in 2007 that 'clearly we had some issues with PlayStation 3'

mocoworm

PS4 architect knew in 2007 that "clearly we had some issues with PlayStation 3" - He began covertly canvassing devs about PS4 in 2008.

FOLLOW LINK FOR FULL ARTICLE:

Inside the PlayStation 4 with Mark Cerny

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/189368/Inside_the_PlayStation_4_with_Mark_Cerny.php

"Mark Cerny originally began to think about designing the PlayStation 4 in 2007. Over Thanksgiving weekend, a mere year after the PlayStation 3 was released, he began to read technical documents about the X86 processor -- the processor that ended up going into the system that was unveiled this past February, by Cerny, in New York City.

The fact that he spent so much of his personal time working on the question of just what hardware should go into the box made Cerny realize something important: "I probably have more passion about the next generation than anybody inside the Sony Computer Entertainment world."

With that in mind, he pitched his bosses on letting him lead the PlayStation 4 development efforts. To his surprise, he earned himself the role of lead system architect.

Though he began with the technology, "wanting to lead the effort wasn't based on any specific beliefs at that time -- other than that clearly we had had some issues with PlayStation 3, in that a very developer-centric approach to the design of the PlayStation 4 would just make things go more smoothly overall."

"The biggest thing was that we didn't want the hardware to be a puzzle that programmers would be needing to solve to make quality titles," says Cerny. He's referring here to the fact that the CELL processor, which powers the PlayStation 3, was extremely powerful by 2006 standards -- but also notoriously difficult to work with.

So in 2008, once he'd gotten the okay, Cerny began to canvass PlayStation 3 developers, asking them what they wanted from a theoretical next generation console -- yes, that early. "It's not like we could come out and say we were developing the next generation of hardware -- we certainly couldn't say that in 2008," Cerny recollects."

Mark Cerny seems like a top notch guy. Going out there and listening to developers and actually listening to them isnt something everybody would do. From all accounts it has seemed to make the hardware better and the relations better

mocoworm

Sounds like they really wanted to open up this time and get back to grass roots with the developers.

Cerny reminds me of an android. He should be in the next Prometheus movie as David's brother.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Cool that they involved middleware people early on as well as devs. That will help development a lot on top of the other things they've already done.

Anteater

"I probably have more passion about the next generation than anybody inside the Sony Computer Entertainment world."

With that in mind, he pitched his bosses on letting him lead the PlayStation 4 development efforts.

Boss:

sbqMYhq.jpg

Blablurn

I saw Cerny for the first time at the conference in February. Back then I thought he's just a nerdy tech guy. But then I started to read more and more about him. And by now I wish I had half the intelligence he has lol. Great guy for Sony!

Huh? Kutaragi would've designed a system that would make everyones head spin.

And difficult as hell to program for.

The one dev friendly console he designed was the original PSX.

The PS2 and PS3 just added more and more complexity with exotic architectures that took years to fully master. Even then only the Japanese truly got the hang out of maximizing the PS2, Western devs only caught up with the PS3 and HD development when it came to making games with incredible graphical fidelity.

This is Sony basically going back to its own console roots. All the ingredients that made the PS1 such a hit with devs and publishers are seemingly present in the run up to the launch of the PS4.

Ps3 still ended up being a beast though, especially when it came to exclusives.

I'm just excited to see that not only is PS4 getting a focus on heavy power, but at the same time accessibility.

Oppo

Yeah the bit about him pitching himself as lead system architect caught my eye as well.

Dude literally swept in to try and save the Playstation. Just after Ken's exit.

Not to add to the Cerny circlejerk or anything, but Sony hit that jackpot with this guy.

It is ok. You can enter the circle. I wont bite.

Probably will not end up purchasing a PS4 (PC and all that.. plus lack of funds)... but Sony did hit the jackpot with this guy.

Yeah the bit about him pitching himself as lead system architect caught my eye as well.

Dude literally swept in to try and save the Playstation. Just after Ken's exit.

I believe Ken's currently lead system architect at Apple. He's working on the next iPad as we speak.

Has there been any negative news on the PS4?

For me BC is not important, I can see why it is for others though but the what I fear with the PS4 is how much of what they showed at the meeting will be behind a subscription fee. Not too worried about the price, I'm sure it will be affordable.

RoyalFool

Banned
It's always great when people who actually know their stuff get into positions where they can make a difference. Would love to be a fly on the wall when they are designing a new console just to find out how much of it is dedicated research and how much is helping out your golf partner (bonus points to whoever gets that reference).

John_B

Cerny seems like someone with the brains to understand what works, and the balls to tell the people above him what doesn't work.

He basically went and told these higher up dudes that the Playstation 3 sucks, and that they should let him do the next one. Life saving decision right there. Sony is waking up from a delusion.

This guy knows his shit, he's humble, and he's going to be instrumental when it comes to the PS4's success. From Crazy Ken to Sensible Cerny.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
While I'm not all too excited for PS4, I have to say that from my perspetcive hardware-wise the PSV is the best designed Sony console ever, so having the guy responsible for that design the hardware for PS4 seems to be a good idea. The only three things (despite the memory card fraud which obviously was an intentional financial decision) I do not like are the choice of touchscreen technology (I prefer stylus based touch-gaming), the useless back-touchscreen and (although thanks to the form facor it isn't as bad as it is for the home consoles) the positioning of the left stick. Not being able to start the game in the slot right away sadly is expected nowadays anyway. Other than that the system feels great, produces great graphics on a bright and crisp screen and seems really well put together.

Now if only they had some creative person (with a bit of knowledge in ergonomics) let design a new controller for it :/.

Derrick01

Banned
So it wasn't lazy devs all along eh?

Of course it was. When you see what their 1st party studios did on PS3 and then see most of the third party ports you can tell they just didn't want to put the work in to learn the system when 360 was basically a PC.

Now Sony's not giving them that excuse.

Top Bottom