• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 architect knew in 2007 that 'clearly we had some issues with PlayStation 3'

Wow he decided to use off the shelf PC parts and unified memory, why didn't anyone else ever think of that? The x86 processor? I wonder how he learned of this little known processor? LOL. This is just silly.

I believe Sony made the right decision given their loss of dominance, but the spin is hysterical. Sony didn't make PS3 by accident. The strategy was to create a highly customized architecture so that games would remain exclusive to Playstation and would be difficult to port to alternative platforms. Had PS3 dominated like PS2 it would have been an excellent strategy and kept many games off of PC/Xbox or at least heavily delayed after the PS3 release. Using off the shelf PC parts to remain in line with PC and Xbox next gen is a recognition that the strategy has failed and exclusives are unobtainable. At best PS4 is just another x86 box featuring ports from other x86 boxes, it will never be anything like PS2 using such common hardware.

Also please stop comparing this guy to Miyamoto, people living in the real world find this comparison insulting to their intelligence. I admire Cerny's insights and accomplishments, but keep them in check. It's like you're trying to compare Dave Grohl to John Lennon.
Ex Sony employee?

What about using PS3 to establish Blu-ray? What about the cost? What about Sony just being super giddy over PS2's success and not reading the market correctly? And, if what Cerny is trying to accomplish is so easy, there would be a lot more console manufacturers wouldn't there?

Also, who the heck says Cerny can't be compared to Miyamoto? Who says everyone finds Mario games level design so inspiring or amazing? State your opinion, but please, don't try to generalize your own views. There are many different ways to gain exclusives besides exotic hardware or money hatting, and that's building good relationships. So again, you don't find what Cerny is doing as impressive, or they're playing "catchup" to MS or whatever that's fine, but it's hardly anything but your own opinion. Same as the Miyamoto comment...Users can express there adoration however they feel like it, misplaced or not. I'm sure Cerny doesn't equate himself with Nintendo's head guy, but Cerny is relatively new to many users here and there's just excitement someone new/interesting is in the limelight again.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so he is working on PS4 since 2007.

how they kept this a secret,no one and no site connected Mark to Sony until this february when he showed up as PS4 lead architect.

so he is working on PS4 since 2007.

how they kept this a secret,no one and no site connected Mark to Sony until this february when he showed up as PS4 lead architect.

He has been working at Sony FOREVER as a consultant. He is credited on a lot of there first party games this generation. Its was no secret he was working at Sony.

No one probably guessed he was working on ps4 though as well.

Endo Punk

I'm embarrassed to say I have never heard of this guy up untill the PS4 event and I have been gaming for almost 20 years. Checked his history and holy shit he has been involved with some of my favourite Sega and PlayStation games. Krazy Ken had his run and Im thankful for what he did with PS1 and PS2 but with PS3 his ideas just didn't mesh with industry and not to mention Cell being overrated, Censible Cerny is a great replacement and actually makes games as well. Knack was really surprising to me, looks so charming. First game I'll purchase come 2014.... You know because Europe will no way in hell get the console this year.

I'm embarrassed to say I have never heard of this guy up untill the PS4 event and I have been gaming for almost 20 years. Checked his history and holy shit he has been involved with some of my favourite Sega and PlayStation games. ....

You seem to be in good company with the majority? here on gaf, yet now everyone want to have sex with him or at least have his babies.

Personally, I think they should go ahead and cut off the PS1 discs if it's necessary. It's an almost 20 year old console, after all. Assuming that, like the Vita, PSN purchased PS1 games will work, it would only be a problem for a handful of users.

The last I checked, the number of PS1 games available on PSN is just a fraction of the entire library. So it is still a problem.

Truespeed

Wow he decided to use off the shelf PC parts and unified memory, why didn't anyone else ever think of that? The x86 processor? I wonder how he learned of this little known processor? LOL. This is just silly.

I believe Sony made the right decision given their loss of dominance, but the spin is hysterical. Sony didn't make PS3 by accident. The strategy was to create a highly customized architecture so that games would remain exclusive to Playstation and would be difficult to port to alternative platforms. Had PS3 dominated like PS2 it would have been an excellent strategy and kept many games off of PC/Xbox or at least heavily delayed after the PS3 release. Using off the shelf PC parts to remain in line with PC and Xbox next gen is a recognition that the strategy has failed and exclusives are unobtainable. At best PS4 is just another x86 box featuring ports from other x86 boxes, it will never be anything like PS2 using such common hardware.

The PS3 was released in Nov, 2006. The system was likely designed in 2004/5. So had they gone with off the shelf x86 architecture components what could they have used circa 2004/5 that would have been within their CPU price targets and be as performant as the Cell? I can only imagine how dog slow that hypothetical x86 CPU would have been today or in 2012, 2011, etc...

RyoonZ

Banned
o_O

Mark Cerny & Yu Suzuki talking strategy for Shenmue III. For reals you guys.

BGgUOYBCcAAWbEZ.jpg

Wellscha

Would an 'easy to program for' PS4 shift the Japanese developers back to consoles? or is too late for that? (development costs, complexity of hardware relative to handhelds and all)

Would an 'easy to program for' PS4 shift the Japanese developers back to consoles? or is too late for that? (development costs, complexity of hardware relative to handhelds and all)

If the PS4 takes of well then I can definitely see that happening. Its doesn't have to beat the 3DS weekly but achieve close weekly numbers like 40k. PS4's attraction to JP devs would be the penetration of the western market and having a decent audience in their home country.

What sort of music are you listening too? A lot of music is not produced particularly well so no matter what you do, it'll still sound like shit most of the time. You should be enjoying the music (and that doesn't need lossless audio) and not the hardware anyway.

Honestly speaking, I've dabbled in fairly high end loudspeakers, amplification, and sources and I've found that 320kbps is more than enough to get a happy medium between small filesize and good sound quality. Obviously lossless if you're archiving the source audio file but most people don't care about that.

Old time rock sound great to me. Todays mainstream music just sounds so compressed. I don't know if it's the studio where they recorded it from or what.

I agree , most people can't tell the difference from file sizes which is why ipods were good enough for most peoples needs but i personally have done my own tests with another person picking lossless/wav vs compressed audio and i have been able to pick out which one is superior.

I'm fairly certain I've seen you and others talk about how the unified memory setup in 360 was not a huge advantage at all when referring to the PS3 and that having a split pool was just as good. Talk about a 180.

It didn't seem like a bad idea at first. Wasn't till sony started to be really memory bound in some tasks that folks saw the downside. Stuff like XMB in games, party chat, etc, were all held back by memory issues. Games also started showing things of that nature in the end.

Alx

I guess you don't come here often.

I think the Shenmue demand could be compared to that of a Nights or Panzer Dragoon sequel... old fans are very vocal, but if/when the requested game is done, it is mostly ignored by most of the audience (and even part of the fans who asked for the sequel will complain that it's not how they wanted it)

Top Bottom