• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE: "We right now don't have support for the Wii U in the Frostbite engine."

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
While we already know that Battlefield 4 isn't headed to the Wii U, I felt this might be relevant given that EA is using Frostbite in most of its core games.

Eurogamer said:
Eurogamer: Some Wii U owners are disappointed to see Battlefield 4 is not coming to the console. What, exactly, is the reason for that?

Patrick Bach: The biggest problem we have right now is we don't want to back down from what we see as our low spec machines. We right now don't have support for the Wii U in the Frostbite engine. The reason for that is it takes development time. What should we focus on to create the best possible Battlefield experience? We are now focused on PC and the current-gen platforms, and then there might be other platforms in the future that we can't talk about...

Eurogamer: One of them you can.

Patrick Bach: Yes, in theory, but we won't. But it's important to understand it's about focus and setting the bar. Where do you start? What's the minimum? What's the maximum? What's the scale in-between.

Tobias Dahl: We have long experience with scalability. We've always been making PC games. But we don't want to ship different games dependent on the platform. We need to set the limit somewhere, to have the lowest spec for this title.

Patrick Bach: We could probably make a Wii U game in theory. But to make the most out of the Wii U, that's a different game because of the different peripherals. We want to utilise all the power of each console.

Eurogamer: Are you saying it's not about the power of the Wii U itself, rather, it's about the controller?

Patrick Bach: It's everything. We could potentially make a Battlefield port for the Vita. But what would that game be? Is it something we could scale down from what you saw in the gameplay video, or would it have to be a complete redesign of the whole game?

It's about, where do you put your focus? And the Wii U is not a part of our focus right now.

Tobias Dahl: Going back to the Wii U, it's also a matter of scope. We can only work with so many platforms per person per day. It's a time-consuming thing to be a multi-platform title.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...eld-4-interview-dice-leaves-technology-behind

Kyou

We are now focused on PC and the current-gen platforms, and then there might be other platforms in the future that we can't talk about...

Can't wait for it to be announced for Durango and PS4 but not Wii U

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Makes sense. When you have no intention to make games for the Wii U, there's not much point porting your mainline engine to the platform.

Richie

Are third parties contractually obligated to make up excuses for not bringing their games, when we all know insecurity regarding profit is the reason?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So then no Mass Effect 4 or Dragon Age 3 too presumably.

Well, and perhaps a few others:

fb1gsfj3.png

Risette

A Good Citizen
Haha, are they implying that the Wii U is too high-spec for their engine?
chances are they have some work already hammered out from earlier in the gen for PS360, whereas Wii U requires a whole new addition and they don't consider it worthwhile.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
"We're not making our game for the Wii U because we don't think we can make money on that platform"

What every developer is really saying every time they try to spin why they don't have a Wii U version.

Gorillaz

So..basically ANY game using Frostbite 3 is out of the picture. Damn....

Well...damn...but in a way we all kind of saw this happening

Grimsen

It seems that in the last few days, the gap between EA and Nintendo has been widening considerably.

Ask EA the same question tomorrow, and their answer might very well be "Ninten-what? I'm sorry, I don't know what you're talking about."

i-Lo

It's okay. Nintendo's first party games like the ever lasting Mario/Zelda/Metroid will sell enough consoles for EA to take a second look down the line.

wrowa

EA really doesn't give a shit anymore. Damn.

What was the last console they refused to support? The Dreamcast?

VanWinkle

It sounds like they couldn't figure out a good reason so they kept trying to put more excuses out there that really don't make any sense lol.

Takao

Banned
Unprecedented support

in that I've never see so little support from a major third party for a major console

Guess Wii U architecture is its own kinda thing and since I don't believe Frostbite was ever on Wii, they'd really be starting from scratch. Guess I can't really blame them for it, doesn't make financial sense for me either.

jaz013

Banned
Well, this just makes me think I might be right with the poorly handled, badly optimized, "it took six months to decide that the only thing in the gamepad screen was going to be a map", late, full-price port.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
They really need to kill this thing off and pretend it never happened. It’s beyond repair at this point.

Nintendo caught lightning in a bottle with the Wii but they injured their reputation with core gamers so much that I think the damage is irreversible at this point.

I wouldn't say Nintendo is in a position where they go third-party, but I don't think it's completely out of the question that Wii U might become the last console Nintendo makes that's not a handheld. It's either that or Nintendo has to keep pulling out miracles like the Wii.

I would not be surprised if the WiiU's anemic CPU is a limiting factor given Frostbite's focus on destructable environments.

MarkusRJR

So does this instantly rule out Dragon Age 3, Mass Effect 4, Mirror's Edge 2 (lol), and pretty much any future next gen racers and action games EA releases on the frostbite engine?

Ouch.

CronoShot

Wii U is going to make the Gamecube look like it had a diverse selection of 3rd party titles.

It did.

If anything, it's basically the Wii again, only without the mobs of casual games.
Or games at all, really.

The Gamecube had plenty of third party support early in its life.

So does this instantly rule out Dragon Age 3, Mass Effect 4, Mirror's Edge 2 (lol), and pretty much any future next gen racers and action games EA releases on the frostbite engine?

Ouch.

Well unless they had a ps3/360 sku it wasnt going to be on wiiu anyway.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
They really need to kill this thing off and pretend it never happened. It’s beyond repair at this point.

They better not fucking touch that system until I get Bayonetta 2 because if they do I swear to god Tricky I swear to god

big_z

pretty much everything EA developers are making use frostbite. therefore we can conclude EA has left nintendoland.

antonz

Dice has since the beginning said they had little interest in spending the resources to make the engine compatible.

People fail to realize just because you make an engine doesn't mean it will run 100% or even 80% on everything. You have to take the engine then customize and optimize.

Dice was down on the WiiU when it was announced. Not surprised Dice wont touch it. That said other studios under the EA tree could if they want too

Concept17

It's okay. Nintendo's first party games like the ever lasting Mario/Zelda/Metroid will sell enough consoles for EA to take a second look down the line.

Unlikely. Third part support never improved on the Wii, despite the system having the largest install base.

So basically no

Frostbite
Fox
UE4
Luminous

And we can probably rule out Capcoms new engine. The only engine that will probably be used significantly that has wiiu support is CE3 and Unity

Soriku

Third parties: "We right now don't have support for the Wii U"

Can't wait for X, SMTxFE, 3D Mario, and Zelda.

gogojira

This situation isn't going to get any better when the new systems hit. At least with the Wii there were some (few) third parties who dared create a nice exclusive game or two. Support has already dried up and Nintendo is doing a piss poor job of giving me games to play on my Nintendo first party box.

antonz

So basically no

Frostbite
Fox
UE4
Luminous

And we can probably rule out Capcoms new engine. The only engine that will probably be used significantly that has wiiu support is CE3

UE4 is on the WiiU. Nothing stops frostbite or Fox from being on it either besides funding and desire.

Wish people would stop the hyperbole when they have no clue

Gorillaz

So basically no

Frostbite
Fox
UE4
Luminous

And we can probably rule out Capcoms new engine. The only engine that will probably be used significantly that has wiiu support is CE3 and Unity

Wait since when did they announce Luminous and Fox not becoming WiiU isn't compatible? holy shit

UE4 is on the WiiU. Nothing stops frostbite or Fox from being on it either besides funding and desire.

Wish people would stop the hyperbole when they have no clue

Really thats good news at least. And i never said it was incapable

Wait since when did they announce Luminous and Fox not becoming WiiU isn't compatible? holy shit

As far as i know they havent announced any kind of support yet

Top Bottom