• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE: "We right now don't have support for the Wii U in the Frostbite engine."

AOC83

Banned
I guess we will see soon enough, at this point there is something clearly going on more than likely between EA and MS, because there would be no other reason for Dice to be so quiet about even the exsistance of the PS4 version of the game.

Maybe we could see a flip of this gen with Sony getting cozy with.Activision, and MS with EA, I would think with the possibility of developmemt rising more this gen complete exclusivity would be out of the question.

Or maybe MS has something really special up their sleeve with their next console, the run up to E3 and launch is going to be interesting to watch.

The PS4 version was already announced.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
gotta be something brewing with ms and ea about bf4...

Given others at ea have (accidentally?) let the cat out of the bag, it smells like a co-marketing deal. It would rather defeat the purpose to talk about or show the ps4 version when they can't talk about Durango, if a marketing deal is in place.

As for wii u, there never will be frostbite3 support :/

Petrae

Nintendo just give up and go the Sega route and develop games for other consoles

I wouldn't go THAT far. 3DS is still mildly successful to immensely successful. Wii U future can brighten, but Nintendo needs to do something. Games are a start. Consumer education is a big one, through marketing & advertising. Heck, I saw more Wii U confusion at GameStop while picking up my copy of Bioshock Infinite:

"Hey, is this a tablet for my Wii?"

"No, it's a new system, sir."

"Can I play it in my car?"

We didn't have this problem with the Wii 6.5 years ago. There sure as heck is a problem now, and it can be resolved if Nintendo recognizes what's going on.

This is like my third comment on it, but now I finally think it's even more damning than I thought. He seems to be saying Wii U <PS360 power with this

Tobias Dahl: We have long experience with scalability. We've always been making PC games. But we don't want to ship different games dependent on the platform. We need to set the limit somewhere, to have the lowest spec for this title.

So, PS360 is ok, but Wii U isn't?

ReaperXL7

The PS4 version was already announced.

Offically, or some guy tweeting he saw it? If its been announced offically.then it seems even more strange that they wont talk about it at all since most people following a game like this will likely be more interested in the next gen versions.

Just seems weird, but i also have not been following BF4 news until recently.

AOC83

Banned
Offically, or some guy tweeting he saw it? If its been announced offically.then it seems even more strange that they wont talk about it at all since most people following a game like this will likely be more interested in the next gen versions.

Officially.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is kind of nuts. It's not surprising coming from EA but as far as I know their sports titles are the only ones not using FB3. That cuts off a huge number of titles.

and then in 2017 when they go third party, everyone can enjoy mario kart, mario platformers, and zelda games each and every year.

Sega proved to me Devs lose a whole lot when they leave hardware.

A third party Nintendo sounds great in theory, but I doubt they'd be that succesful.

I mean, who's the most successful third party publisher right now for them to emulate? Activision? Activision is a completely different, almost online focused, company. EA? They're struggling.. Japanese devs then? They're pretty much all struggling that I know of. What, would they aspire to be like Capcom or something?

steveovig

and then in 2017 when they go third party, everyone can enjoy mario kart, mario platformers, and zelda games each and every year.

This is what drives me insane. Guys like you throw around that notion like you have any idea what you are talking about. Sure, the Wii U won't be a major success but there's ways Nintendo can break even. And I know I can't be the only person around who thinks that the day Nintendo leaves the console market will be the same day I stop buying consoles, period. Sony and Microsoft don't impress me with anything. Nintendo's 1st party stuff is the only stuff that really excites me or that I give a shit about. I'm already fed up with the way console gaming is going. Sure, Nintendo is going through a rough time now but with a restructuring they can pull things together.

"While the PS4 edition is not currently listed on the official pre-order site for the game, an Electronic Arts official confirmed that the game is coming to the platform."

SparkTR

I know little about PC gaming and how the graphics scale. Does this mean EA has little interest in porting their engine to non high end PCs too? For example MacBooks and such don't have high end specs. You'd think that would be a market worth going after...

There's very few gamers on Macs. If you're talking about just low-end windows PCs then their games have scalable graphics options. I was playing BF3 on a dual core PC at launch at high settings.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Even though the PS4 is announced, Sony is still controlling info about it and of course Durango hasn't been shown yet. There's still a pretty big vice grip on the release of info. Despite this being a huge game, other agreements that companies have in regards to marketing still apply. The PS4 version was officially confirmed, but they likely can't say any more about it until a later date. Indies are allowed to talk more freely than bigger publishers because Sony is making such a bug push for them and they need more help with marketing.

Did Sega ever have Nintendo first parties' midas' touch and ever revered franchises?

Like I said, Nintendo won't be abandoned by EA once a large enough install base is acquired. That'll be done through those stellar first party titles and WiiFit etc to get the casual market. Given their fondness for Wii, they'll surely shell out $350/300.

You arent fooling me >_>

BowieZ

Banned
This is what drives me insane. Guys like you throw around that notion like you have any idea what you are talking about. Sure, the Wii U won't be a major success but there's ways Nintendo can break even. And I know I can't be the only person around who thinks that the day Nintendo leaves the console market will be the same day I stop buying consoles, period. Sony and Microsoft don't impress me with anything. Nintendo's 1st party stuff is the only stuff that really excites me or that I give a shit about. I'm already fed up with the way console gaming is going. Sure, Nintendo is going through a rough time now but with a restructuring they can pull things together.
woosh?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's okay. Nintendo's first party games like the ever lasting Mario/Zelda/Metroid will sell enough consoles for EA to take a second look down the line.

No it's not okay. It really isn't.

At this point I'm starting to wonder what, if any, 3rd party support this machine will get. I honestly feel I've bought a turkey.

Aaron

I know little about PC gaming and how the graphics scale. Does this mean EA has little interest in porting their engine to non high end PCs too? For example MacBooks and such don't have high end specs. You'd think that would be a market worth going after...
Wii U is some pretty specific hardware, unlike the upcoming consoles which seem to be close to stock PCs. Though with each new engine, there's definitely a floor that gets raised in terms of what PCs/Macs they'll support. Which probably why you won't see Frostbite 3 used for the Sims or other mega casual franchises for a long while. The low end will probably be around 360/PS3 power.

nib95

Banned

Whatever you love about Nintendo (I'm assuming mainly the games) will just go to the Playstation and Xbox instead if Nintendo falls through, only with better graphics, better online, more features, a more advanced UI, controllers etc etc. So no need to quit so soon if it all does go pear shaped.

Keslord

Banned
Some small third party is going to make a title on the system that is going to fucking blow up in a few years, once the userbase has grown thanks to first party titles and the odd 3rd party. Calling it now.

Also, if Mirror's Edge 2 was on PS4/Wii U/Durango/PC, I would have gotten the PS4 version. But not so much now. Spit in the face of Wii U, EA.

Maybe I'm just getting too bitter and jaded for this shit anymore.

Petrae

No it's not okay. It really isn't.

At this point I'm starting to wonder what, if any, 3rd party support this machine will get. I honestly feel I've bought a turkey.

Ubisoft and Activision will likely continue to support the Wii U. It won't be a LOT of third-party support, but there will be some. At the very least, you have a machine that will play Nintendo's games... when they eventually arrive.

Big-E

This really should fall on Nintendo's feet. When you first saw the 360 and PS3, UE3 was made a big deal. Instead of giving money to make some fairly insignificant exclusives in terms of sales potential (Bayonetta 2) they should have worked with engine makers to ensure they could get a version up on the Wii U. Or they could do both but it seems they don't want to spend money on something that is vital if you want 3rd party support. Nintendo seems to have failed in getting third party support in 3 of their last 4 consoles.

Some small third party is going to make a title on the system that is going to fucking blow up in a few years, once the userbase has grown thanks to first party titles and the odd 3rd party. Calling it now.

Also, if Mirror's Edge 2 was on PS4/Wii U/Durango/PC, I would have gotten the PS4 version. But not so much now. Spit in the face of Wii U, EA.

Maybe I'm just getting too bitter and jaded for this shit anymore.

lol

Gorillaz

Wait....

Isnt Need for Speed Most Wanted on Frostbite?

Everything Frostbite.

EDIT: wait since when was Need for Speed on a different engine?

Sean

Banned
Did Sega ever have Nintendo first parties' midas' touch and ever revered franchises?

Like I said, Nintendo won't be abandoned by EA once a large enough install base is acquired. That'll be done through those stellar first party titles and WiiFit etc to get the casual market. Given their fondness for Wii, they'll surely shell out $350/300.

That won't happen. Nintendo is learning the hard way that casuals have zero brand loyalty.

Bsigg12

So how many games can Nintendo pump out a year from first parties for the Wii U?

At this point shovelware isn't even finding its way onto the Wii U and when you get 4 games total in 4 weeks you have problems with 3rd parties. Its 4 games including 2 "big" releases in March for the Wii U.

Off the top of my head:

Walking Dead SI
Monster Hunter
Leco City
NFSMWU

I don't think there had been anything else and I check to make sure new releases are available every Tuesday across 5 stores.

This whole debacle with Battlefield 4/Frostbite just reinforces the lack of appeal Nintendo has with the Wii U for developers. Its sad really.

Mrbob

Thus is really bad news for Nintendo. No other way to spin it really. No matter what we think of EA they are a top two publisher in terms of revenue.

ReaperXL7

Even though the PS4 is announced, Sony is still controlling info about it and of course Durango hasn't been shown yet. There's still a pretty big vice grip on the release of info. Despite this being a huge game, other agreements that companies have in regards to marketing still apply. The PS4 version was officially confirmed, but they likely can't say any more about it until a later date. Indies are allowed to talk more freely than bigger publishers because Sony is making such a bug push for them and they need more help with marketing.

Thanks for the response, sometimes all of the backroom politics with all this can make it alittle confusing, just seemed alittle strange.

Honestly to some extent im actually more interested in what other indie games might be coming to consoles, but obviously games like this are important to move hardware, as we are seeing with the wii u currently.

Seems like publishers and developers have found an elegant way of saying they arent supporting the Wii U. Just say that because of the tablet controller that you would want to design a game that specifically supports it and you dont feel like you could do that to the level that the controller deserves right now.

Erethian

"We're not making our game for the Wii U because we don't think we can make money on that platform"

What every developer is really saying every time they try to spin why they don't have a Wii U version.

Yeah. It's not a question of technical specs, but a matter of where they think the audience is. EA's relationship with Nintendo doesn't help, of course.

I agree and I got demoted to junior status because I questioned that BF4 is coming to next-gen consoles. It was pre-mature to do that considering DICE speaks of current gen a nd PC right now.

I agree and I got demoted to junior status because I questioned that BF4 is coming to next-gen consoles. It was pre-mature to do that considering DICE speaks of current gen a nd PC right now.

You were juniored for questioning if BF4 is coming to next gen consoles? Dafuq???

Replicant

So is Nintendo finally doomed this time? Seems like its been a while

It never cease to amaze me how the only people who've been saying this are Nintendo fans in a vain attempt to be sarcastic. But I'd be careful with saying things like that because it may become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

FyreWulff

I'm pretty confident there will be a proper next gen Nintendo system by 2015 after Iwata is shown the door.

That'd be pretty stupid of Nintendo to do so. No matter what happens to the Wii U, they're just going to try again in 5 years. They've already done it for two consoles in a row before. Even though they made a profit, they weren't exactly enjoying that N64-> GameCube stretch.

What? I have no intention of supporting EA just because they got buttmad at Nintendo. I'll find better experiences and better companies to give my money to on both of my consoles next gen.

Seems pretty damn silly to care that much what goes on between billion dollar companies

So basically... They are too lazy?

Sure if by lazy you mean arent willing to spend money

GC|Simon

At the end of the day it's not Nintendo who will lay-off people. They will make money with the Wii U like they did with the N64 and the GameCube. They probably won't sell 100 million consoles but they will sell some - because games like the next Mario will only be available on the Wii U. And games like the next Mario will be gameplay-wise far better than anything EA has to offer.

Top Bottom