• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE: "We right now don't have support for the Wii U in the Frostbite engine."

Donos

Didn't Joakim's account confirm that MGSV will come to WiiU?

Anyway, EA can keep their shitty games. Nintendo's pride and joy lies with their first party. People ought to buy WiiU for Nintendo games not some micro-transacting money grubbing company like EA destroys good IPs.

Problem is, that this gets thrown around here often in Wii U thread but that's the last thing a third party wants to read while thinking about supporting Wii U. Nobody questions Nintendos firt party power but if i as a publisher think that Wii U owners have their console to only play their Zelda, Marios etc. then why put effort and resources into it.

And while EA's game quality it debateable (Dragon Age 2 anyone), their games apeal to a rather wide audience.

freddy

Banned
EA and Nintendo. Definitely becoming more convinced that something has gone on. When a potentially big new console is coming out you don't just sit on your ass and not port your new engine.. At the very least you have a team somewhere porting a prior version or developing a scaled down version ie. UE2.5 on the Wii, Cry engine on Wii U. This shows clearly that they have had no intention of porting frostbite for some time - clearly well before sales data started coming in. And remember, it does support PS360. I'd love to see another red dit leak from within EA or NOA. It'll all come out eventually, whatever has or hasn't happened.
Exactly.

When a potentially big new console is coming out
Perhaps, unlike Nintendo and its fans, EA could see it wouldn't be big - and they're being vindicated now by the console failing to ignite interest.
clearly well before sales data started coming in.
I'm not sure why people are acting as if this isn't a common occurrence. Platform decisions are made based on projection as much as they're informed by history. And neither would suggest Frostbite 3 Wii U is worthwhile.

UE4 is on the WiiU. Nothing stops frostbite or Fox from being on it either besides funding and desire.

Wish people would stop the hyperbole when they have no clue

Sure the game engines could run on the Wii U, but that's not the problem.

When a massive publisher like EA is basically saying the Wii U isn't a viable platform, that will have a huge cascading affect down through smaller publishers.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If Nintendo had a machine that is attractive for EAs audience it would get games. Power is a part of this.

Yes. I agree. They should have saved the cash spent on the gamepad and backward compatibility and gone for a much stronger machine.

EA did pretty well on the Wii, didn't it?

The Wii was a fluke.

When a massive publisher like EA is basically saying the Wii U isn't a viable platform, that will have a huge cascading affect down through smaller publishers.

Yes it does. A very loud clear message that it's not worth the return on investment to develop for WiiU.

Seronei

Without the expensive controller, the Wii U could have been priced more competitively. So perhaps it wouldn't be flailing as much as it is now as it tries to compete for late adopters against cheaper consoles of comparable performance with better libraries and more future support.

Or perhaps the equivalent BoM directed towards better hardware it could have provided a more convincing half-step forward over the current generation systems - so that at least some people who own a PS3 or 360 would see an incentive to upgrade.

So yes, in a sense, but not the one that publishers are claiming, it is the controller at fault.

But there's no support not because the hardware is weak but because Wii never took of for most third parties, if the sales had been the issue there would have been more support in the beginning but it was bad even then.
None but Ubisoft even tried to put some effort into it. If they skipped the controller and just went for a half-powered PS4/Xbox3 they'd be even worse off when they're released, at least now they have something to set it apart admittedly something most hardcore games don't care for.

Donos

Yes. I agree. They should have saved the cash spent on the gamepad and backward compatibility and gone for a much stronger machine.

The Wii was a fluke.

Yes it does. A very loud clear message that it's not worth the return on investment to develop for WiiU.

Just noticed that your tag is already ready for nextgen :lol

Goodlife

Sure the game engines could run on the Wii U, but that's not the problem.

Surely smaller publishers will think "one less competitor"?

Pretty big fucking deal, imo.

It's one thing to not get a game or two, but to not get an entire engine? A major player at that?

Not a good look.

Surely smaller publishers will think "one less competitor"?

I thought that could be a possibility, but if the install base is so small would a game from a smaller publisher thrive? And with the recent PS4 news regarding the harvesting of the indie scene, it makes me wonder who exactly is going to want to side with Nintendo.

I wasn't being sarcastic...
My sarcasm meter is broken then. There are way too many of strawman "Nintendoomed." posts and they don't really add anything to discussion.
----
Anyway, people who really can't see why this is happening need to step outside their post-purchase rationalisation for a moment and ask themselves:

• Who is the target market for the Wii U? (A question Nintendo themselves seemingly neglected to ask.)

• That leads to: Who comprises the current and prospective installed base of the Wii U?

• Which leads to: Is there a point to making a Wii U SKU?
The process more often than not for third party titles leads to the answer "No."

That origin rumor that people keep saying is the reason Nintendo is not getting EA's support sounds like bullshit to me. Though something must have seriously gone wrong somewhere between the two. Battlefield was one of the franchises they talked about when Nintendo first debuted the Wii U.

The sales of the Wii U are abysmal and that's a good reason for EA not to support the Wii U but this decision about not getting the engine to run on the console seems like a decision that was made a long time before the Wii U came out in November, it wasn't just made a couple of months ago. Things just keep looking worse for Nintendo. I'm really wondering if there's gonna be any 3rd party games at Nintendo's E3 press conference.

My sarcasm meter is broken then. There are way too many of strawman "Nintendoomed." posts and they don't really add anything to discussion.
----
Anyway, people who really can't see why this is happening need to step outside their post-purchase rationalisation for a moment and ask themselves:

• Who is the target market for the Wii U? (A question Nintendo themselves seemingly neglected to ask.)

• That leads to: Who comprises the current and prospective installed base of the Wii U?

• Which leads to: Is there a point to making a Wii U SKU?

You need to chill out. Even if I was being sarcastic your response is/was overly dramatic.

edit- Anyway. From a business perspective I think this is a great move for EA. No matter how much support they give Nintendo their games just aren't going to sell very well. The Wii U is simply an unattractive device to consumers. Nintendo tried to attract casuals and core gamers by combining a touch screen with a dual analog controller and in doing so they scared off both.

I'm gonna be honest here: I buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. Anything else exclusively coming for 3DS/WiiU I'll gladly take as long as the quality is right. But other than that, I'll play next-gen games on next-gen consoles with a next-gen environment as well as features.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I agree and I got demoted to junior status because I questioned that BF4 is coming to next-gen consoles. It was pre-mature to do that considering DICE speaks of current gen a nd PC right now.

People seem to miss that this game is developed for current gen. All rumors of next gen confirmed seem wrong.
Why would you say this?

On topic, this has been clear for awhile. I'm wondering if there's a technical reason for it. Or maybe it's just opportunity costs. DICE personnel working on the Wii U can't be working on the PS4 or Durango.

disap.ed

From a 3rd party point of view. The WiiU controller is continuing to be a thorn in Nintendo's side. Right now, I'm starting to wish that Nintendo had gone with a more standard controller.

It IS a standard controller (with a screen attached to it).
Nobody HAS TO use the screen in any special way.

EA not putting Frostbite on Wii U is a pretty huge deal, whether you like their games or not. That basically means that most of their non-sports games won't even make it to the platform.

Goodlife

AC3 and BLOPS2 have really shown the way on how to do a "standard" port to the WiiU.
The game pads only functionality, pretty much, is the ability to play off screen if required.

Antagon

I wonder how much this will really change for Nintendo. As much as people say that they need all the multiplat third party games from publishers like EA, how many of the people that these games would be targeted at would care about the Wii U version if they can get either a PS3/360 or PS4/Durango version? I'm guessing they'll only sell a few million consoles extra because of that.

If you ask me the biggest chance for Nintendo to gain succes is greatly expanding their second party publishing. They won't win against the other companies in the AAA-budget shooter market, so just start publishing tons of B-tier budget games from smaller studios and give them lots of freedom. Basically build a large, distinctive ecosystem of games by themselves. That's obviously far easier said then done though.

I wonder how much this will really change for Nintendo. As much as people say that they need all the multiplat third party games from publishers like EA, how many of the people that these games would be targeted at would care about the Wii U version if they can get either a PS3/360 or PS4/Durango version? I'm guessing they'll only sell a few million consoles extra because of that.

If you ask me the biggest chance for Nintendo to gain succes is greatly expanding their second party publishing. They won't win against the other companies in the AAA-budget shooter market, so just start publishing tons of B-tier budget games from smaller studios and give them lots of freedom. Basically build a large, distinctive ecosystem of games by themselves. That's obviously far easier said then done though.
The bigger question is, how many Wii U only people will wander off, because of those games.

Doesn't this effectively mean no Wii U games from EA? I doubt that would be the case, but I thought on that financials call to Morgan Stanley EA said that every game they make would be running on one engine, Frostbite 2 or higher.

Edit: It makes sense that all of their games would as well. Though the initial cost of moving games like Fifa and Madden to Frostbite would be high, in the end they would be able to share assets across the company and streamline the game making process.

By sending spinoffs and casual games there, I assume they will still have one or two of those on hand for the WiiU

There'd be no point in doing that, casuals don't own a WiiU. It's a niche product with a small install base.

LOL. The hyperbole is reaching critical levels. Has Nintendo ever gotten games offf DICE's engine?
Had DICE's engine ever been widely used as EA's internal engine for their non-sports titles? This is a fairly significant thing here.

If there was money to be made on the WiiU EA and other 3rd parties would be on it.
There is no point in releasing your games on a platform that is irrelevant for your audience.

It has more to do with controlling where your audience is. If EA bets hard against Wii U and find their core audience has somehow escaped and went to a platform they had no support on it would be a massive loss of money. So when you bet against Nintendo you have to make sure you leave them with nothing at all that can influence your target audience to move out of the space you placed your bets on.

I don't buy the excuse that there is no money to be had supporting Wii U
but the audience goes where your support goes period this is all on EA, it has nothing to do with platform

To simplify if GTA V went Wii U exclusive that audience would follow, so audience is dependent on support not the other way around

It is more about targeting your bets and focus. To do that you need to isolate your target.

Companies have made the core audience a two platform space this past gen we call that platform space PS360 so there is no shock if you cannot find your target audience outside of that space when you made little effort outside of your focus

what EA is saying is they have a focus and Wii U is not part of that focus it has little to do with if money can be had outside; why risk it if you already have all your ducks in a row?

We focus on EA's damage to Wii U while one major move by Ubisoft with Rayman was basically the same type of Vote when they did not allow a Rayman exclusive they can use the same NO MONEY on Wii U excuse. To build an audience there needs to be something there you cannot get anywhere else.

The 2 platform space trend will continue into the next-gen so for those here who wish Nintendo had built a beastly machine with 8GB of RAM and super GPU/CPU, I question if DICE/EA and others would still not do the same and ignore porting an engine to it?

I believe they would ignore that Super Nintendo HD for the same reasons above controlling where the core space ends up. These companies have the core audience trained not to expect core game support on Nintendo platforms. It has nearly become a Law of expectations. You take one core game and make it Nintendo exclusive and you have a megaton thread. They have us trained not to expect it.

So no sales on a Nintendo platform? I wonder why?

Would you buy Watch_Dogs on Wii U if you knew the sequels to this new IP had a better chance of continuing on PS4?

I am kinda shock Ubisoft even bothers to support Wii U at all
Can you name one modern 3rd Party core series that has game numbers 1-4 on one modern Nintendo platform?

Just Dance is not core! LOL talk about no win situation for Nintendo here

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Shame, Mass Effect 3 was a really good (if confusing) start to the series. Maybe they'll do a Wii U exclusive prequel where we find out how the fight against the Reapers started, where Shepard met Garrus etc.?

You mean ME1?

Or were you joking?

Burai

shitonmychest57

Yeah, but then people will complain that it's a half-assed port and not buy it anyway.

That origin rumor that people keep saying is the reason Nintendo is not getting EA's support sounds like bullshit to me. Though something must have seriously gone wrong somewhere between the two. Battlefield was one of the franchises they talked about when Nintendo first debuted the Wii U.

The sales of the Wii U are abysmal and that's a good reason for EA not to support the Wii U but this decision about not getting the engine to run on the console seems like a decision that was made a long time before the Wii U came out in November, it wasn't just made a couple of months ago. Things just keep looking worse for Nintendo. I'm really wondering if there's gonna be any 3rd party games at Nintendo's E3 press conference.

The Origin thing is being grossly overstated because it doesn't explain why Konami aren't on board or why Take Two aren't on board or why SquareEnix aren't on board, etc.

Top Bottom