• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE: "We right now don't have support for the Wii U in the Frostbite engine."

troushers

EA are doing so swell right now it makes sense for them to invest huge amounts of money in developing these massive games, then refuse to invest, comparatively, small change in speculative ports to gain an audience or grow a future market.

Don't let people play your games EA. A sound, future proof business strategy.

Madness

It's literally like the Dreamcast all over again. EA cutting support for a major console while definitely supporting the ones that come a year later.

Hopefully someone at NoA is calling the EA higher ups and getting them to commit to third party support.

Frostbite powers everything from need for speed, mass effect, dragon age, Battlefield, etc.

OryoN

Not investing in Wii U Frostbite support sounds like they don't have any intention of ever touching the console. That sucks! IF they do reserve even the slightest future interest, then this is a bad decision on their part, because if Wii U sales to make a turn for the better, they are going to be scrambling to get things up to par. Any results from such a situation will likely either be late, shabby, or both.

Guess Wii U architecture is its own kinda thing and since I don't believe Frostbite was ever on Wii, they'd really be starting from scratch. Guess I can't really blame them for it, doesn't make financial sense for me either.
Yeah I understand where they're coming from. Plus I think they're trying to Dreamcast it as well, but it probably doesn't help that the Wii U is running super old hardware.

"We're not making our game for the Wii U because we don't think we can make money on that platform"

What every developer is really saying every time they try to spin why they don't have a Wii U version.
But but didn't you hear them saying that stuff about unique peripherals and minimum specs?

Sigh, I'd wish that at least for one day these PR slaves would cut the pretentious bullshit and adopt straight talk.

EA won't support the WiiU at all. It's pretty much settled at this point. They are actively putting their weight against them.

NSF MW might be the last EA game on a Nintendo console.

But but didn't you hear them saying that stuff about unique peripherals and minimum specs?

Sigh, I'd wish that at least for one day these PR slaves would cut the pretentious bullshit and adopt straight talk.

EA won't support the WiiU at all. It's pretty much settled at this point. They are actively putting their weight against them.

NSF MW might be the last EA game on a Nintendo console.

If thats the case WiiU will be dreamcasted. When your console does not get FIFA,Madden or Battlefield you will lose hardcore. Nintendo fans are the only audience they will have and that will not get them past 20 million.

If thats the case WiiU will be dreamcasted. When your console does not get FIFA,Madden or Battlefield you will lose hardcore. Nintendo fans are the only audience they will have and that will not get them past 20 million.

Like I said countless times on here, I fully expect the WiiU to sell close to or less than the Gamecube. But when all is said and done, it will have a great library of games and Nintendo will make a profit from it.

They will simply ride this out until it turns a profit and then try again in 2017 with a new console.

Now what fans need to realize is that the sporadic release schedules that the Wii saw will become even more dire unless Nintendo manages to streamline their release calendar.

3rd parties will release the occasional token game to make their shareholders happy, but I expect even less overall support than what the Wii got.

Kickz

Its fine just make sure to pump out double the amount of first party titles and drop the console price to $199-$249. And the WiiU can enjoy the "2nd console everyone owns treatment" like the Wii got.

Was Mass Effect 3 on a different engine from Frostbite too?

This is what drives me insane. Guys like you throw around that notion like you have any idea what you are talking about. Sure, the Wii U won't be a major success but there's ways Nintendo can break even. And I know I can't be the only person around who thinks that the day Nintendo leaves the console market will be the same day I stop buying consoles, period. Sony and Microsoft don't impress me with anything. Nintendo's 1st party stuff is the only stuff that really excites me or that I give a shit about. I'm already fed up with the way console gaming is going. Sure, Nintendo is going through a rough time now but with a restructuring they can pull things together.

Do they even need to? There are heaps of talented devs making quality games for both consoles - to write them off completely is incredibly short sighted.

This has nothing to do with DICE but with EA

Nothing to do with Nintendo either right?

AzaK

Haha, the bullshit excuses keep rolling on. Make the best of Wii U? Just port the fucking thing like CoD. It does not need magic.

Its fine just make sure to pump out double the amount of first party titles and drop the console price to $199-$249. And the WiiU can enjoy the "2nd console everyone owns treatment" like the Wii got.
Pretty much, at this point I feel like that's where they should head. Promising Indie support, some token 3rd party games, and an increased 1st party output.

They failed spectacularly at following up the Wii, by being arrogant, complacent and completely failing to recognize where the market is shifting to.
And it should deliver them a much needed wake up call.

AzaK

Pretty much, at this point I feel like that's where they should head. Promising Indie support, some token 3rd party games, and an increased 1st party output.

They failed spectacularly at following up the Wii, by being arrogant, complacent and completely failing to recognize where the market is shifting to.
And it should deliver them a much needed wake up call.
Thing is, I guarantee that if they have had a wake up call it won't be from the direction you're hoping.

Wait....

Isnt Need for Speed Most Wanted on Frostbite?

Everything Frostbite.

EDIT: wait since when was Need for Speed on a different engine?

Criterion has their own engine but if the publisher wants to kill a game by not funding it Criterion's engine does not matter

see Crysis 3
http://www.gamespot.com/news/crytek-explains-why-crysis-3-wii-u-had-to-die-6404763

you can have it running on Wii U all you want but in the end you still need the publisher funding
this DICE thing is proof enough that EA has a brutal war going on to shit on Nintendo this gen

It is proving to be extremely effective Wii U is in serious trouble

last night I said Battlefield 4 "meh" but 14 other "DICE" Engine games says "Hi!"

this is some bad blood shit from DICE as well

Radec

I'm thinking or guessing.. maybe 1-2 years ago, Nintendo didn't comply on what EA requested or agreed on the terms.

It might be like providing assets, development cost on making the Frostbite supports the WiiU.

Hmmn...

Thing is, I guarantee that if they have had a wake up call it won't be from the direction you're hoping.
What is that direction you think I'm hoping for.

I don't care for power, screw that, I'll get a PC for that.
What I want from Nintendo is a better release schedule with more constant releases. I gave up on 3rd parties having any interest in supporting Nintendo fans with any kind of dedication or even a semblance of respect on the Gamecube. As a Nintendo owner, you're basically the bottom scum in the eyes of 3rd parties.
As long as Nintendo secures some token 3rd party support on the level of Goldeneye quality and improve their release schedule I'm satisfied.

AOC83

Banned
this DICE thing is proof enough that EA has a brutal war going on to shit on Nintendo this gen

If there was money to be made on the WiiU EA and other 3rd parties would be on it.
There is no point in releasing your games on a platform that is irrelevant for your audience.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Haha, the bullshit excuses keep rolling on. Make the best of Wii U? Just port the fucking thing like CoD. It does not need magic.

From a 3rd party point of view. The WiiU controller is continuing to be a thorn in Nintendo's side. Right now, I'm starting to wish that Nintendo had gone with a more standard controller.

PetrCobra

Again the talk about controller, like they have to use it in a special way to succeed on the console... well, the off-screen play should be a given, but other than that nobody cares for extra gamepad features. Most of the time is just a map or some mini-menus anyway. That shouldn't be hard to implement and if they don't want to bother, nobody's gonna miss it.

With Frosbite not supporting Wii U they are basically saying "fuck you Nintendo people", but in a politically correct way, not to upset the suits behind their backs.

You mean the CoD that sold so poorly on Wii U that is has Activision questioning if they should support the console in the future?

Again the talk about controller, like they have to use it in a special way to succeed on the console... well, the off-screen play should be a given, but other than that nobody cares for extra gamepad features. Most of the time is just a map or some mini-menus anyway. That shouldn't be hard to implement and if they don't want to bother, nobody's gonna miss it.

With Frosbite not supporting Wii U they are basically saying "fuck you Nintendo people", but in a politically correct way, not to upset the suits behind their backs.
The suits behind their backs do not care. Neither does DICE. Indifference is not necessarily malice. The Wii U, by and large, is irrelevant with regard to the audience for their games.

Anyone blaming EA or any publisher for not developing on the WiiU is silly.

This is all on Nintendo because there are the only ones who are suffering. I'm sure EA will do fine with PC, Microsoft, and Sony.

Seronei

Doesn't Most Wanted U use Frostbite?
If Nintendo manages to get out Mario Kart and Smash Bros before christmas I'm confident in them outdoing MS/Sony's next gen consoles this holiday.
From a 3rd party point of view. The WiiU controller is continuing to be a thorn in Nintendo's side. Right now, I'm starting to wish that Nintendo had gone with a more standard controller.

If you think things would be different with a standard controller you're being silly. That's just a scapegoat.

GDC is packed with WiiU non-announcements! No metal gear, no BF4 and, well, no EA at all... So, what is the next big game to be announce not to be on WiiU?

So Nintendo has really lost a huge share of the gamers. And it will go on like the last years, with the industry simply ignoring them. They were not able to support the wii themselves in its last 2 years, it probably will be even worse on WiiU.

But, they KNEW it would happen, right? If not, they have a serious problem of connection to to the modern industry... It seems their philosophy in designing products is the same as in the 80's. But people today are saturated with high tech devices and the cheap approach nintendo has harms them. I know the technology within WiiU isn't cheap, but it is perceived as such, and that is a tremendous issue. WHY have they spend so much money focusing on an absurdly low power consumption? Did they believe that the size of the wii and its power draw were the cause of its success? And why did they say they were targeting a more dev friendly approach if this was not the case? They believed it was more friendly cause it was HD?
They have damaged their brand image very badly... They didn't even notice that since 2010 the brand "Wii" was more a hurdle than a help? Wii meant "cheap" and "motion" for most people.
It is very unclear where they are going with this console, as well as who they are targeting.

I honestly can't understand how they can nowadays gather new fans among the young.
I will buy it because the call of Mario and Zelda and some exclusives will be too strong. But that's because I'm a nintendo fan since 1989. And lately being a Nintendo fan is really ungrateful.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Doesn't Most Wanted U use Frostbite?
If Nintendo manages to get out Mario Kart and Smash Bros before christmas I'm confident in them outdoing MS/Sony's next gen consoles this holiday.

If you think things would be different with a standard controller you're being silly. That's just a scapegoat.

I agree it's a very convenient excuse of the publishers. That was my point. And I fully expect it to be for the lifetime of the console.

Goodlife

I guess without the WiiPad they could have upped the specs a bit and stood apart from the PS3/360. I can't imagine they would have matched what's coming with the PS4/Xbox though.
So they might well have been in a better place in the 1st year I guess?

AOC83

Banned
But, they KNEW it would happen, right?

No. They thought the WiiU would take of like the Wii because of brand name and the silly gimmick pad in combination with Mario rehash/Nintendoland.

The guys in charge at Nintendo have completely lost contact to reality.

Without the expensive controller, the Wii U could have been priced more competitively. So perhaps it wouldn't be flailing as much as it is now as it tries to compete for late adopters against cheaper consoles of comparable performance with better libraries and more future support.

Or perhaps the equivalent BoM directed towards better hardware it could have provided a more convincing half-step forward over the current generation systems - so that at least some people who own a PS3 or 360 would see an incentive to upgrade.

So yes, in a sense, but not the one that publishers are claiming, it is the controller at fault.

Totally expected. Right after they mentioned that BF4 wasn't coming to the Wii U; this is just an extension of that announcement.

They could pare it(Frostbite) down, but chose not to. Publisher's mandate led to this decision.

EA's leaving the building it seems. Will the other major 3rd party Western pubs follow suit?

This has nothing to do with DICE but with EA

EA and Nintendo. Definitely becoming more convinced that something has gone on. When a potentially big new console is coming out you don't just sit on your ass and not port your new engine.. At the very least you have a team somewhere porting a prior version or developing a scaled down version ie. UE2.5 on the Wii, Cry engine on Wii U. This shows clearly that they have had no intention of porting frostbite for some time - clearly well before sales data started coming in. And remember, it does support PS360. I'd love to see another red dit leak from within EA or NOA. It'll all come out eventually, whatever has or hasn't happened.

Top Bottom