• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia: "Next batch of mobile phones will outperform 360 and PS3"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next generation mobile processors will outperform PS3 and Xbox 360
Published on 29th March 2013 by Edward Chester

According to Tony Tamasi, Senior Vice President of Content & Technology for Nvidia, the next generation of mobile phone graphics processors will outperform those of the PS3 or Xbox 360.

“The PS3 and Xbox 360 are barely more powerful than mobile devices... The next click of mobile phones will outperform [them],” said Tamasi, referring to the chip generation that will follow the company's current Tegra 4 model, as seen on the upcoming Nvidia Project Shield portable games console

Source

1z2ovtk.jpg

Also, since this is Nvidia, this is somehow

tumblr_ln2pwoguBH1qbcxxvo1_400.jpg

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I think most people figured as much for the next flagship phones.

synce

Very possible. I can't remember the name but there's this racer I played on my 4S that looks almost as good as anything on PS3.

Jhriad

Those flagship phones cost $600 or more and are coming 8+ years after the consoles started launching. Am I supposed to be impressed?

Tegra is not taking over the mobile market and they have no stake in the console business at this point so pushing PC gaming is their main focus.

...and drain your battery in 5 minutes.
...and very few if any developers utilize it's full potential - ie. just infinity blade 3
...and no buttons
...etc. etc. etc.

VariantX

Didn't I already hear this same junk with tablets, and even they still don't even match those 7 year old consoles?

Redhood

I don't think they are salty. Next gen phone will obviously be stronger than PSVita! And vita is nearing ps3 level of games if not graphics.

Toki767

I'm not doubting them per say, but isn't Tegra pretty much last place for smartphone SoC's? Apple, Samsung's Exynos, and Qualcomm SoC have been way more popular to use.

Superflat

Consoles this, consoles that.

Next gen consoles this, current gen consoles that.

Nvidia, come on now.

Oh wait, this is the april's fools joke thing, right? Ey? EYYY?

coldfoot

Banned
Just compare the memory bandwidth and Flops of mobile phones and PS3/360 and you'll see that phones have a long way to go. That's like saying a next gen 100-150W console is going to outperform a 450W Nvidia Titan. No way.

Shambles

I seriously doubt it.
Maybe they'll produce similar looking imagery at a much higher resolution than the consoles rendered at.

fixed.

And while it's very impressive how far mobile tech has come, i think we're probably still a couple years from having our phones match the horse power of the PS3/360 generation.

screenpgp.png

Eh, that would be tough to excuse for even a launch PS360 title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom