• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia: "Next batch of mobile phones will outperform 360 and PS3"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might not be there yet, but getting pretty damn close. I can see how next gen mobile processors could be up to it.

IB2_SirisVsWretch.jpg

real_racing3_1.jpg

aotd-modern-combat-4-review-0.jpg

FordGTGuy

Banned
I said Fruit Ninja looked like a very pretty game. I didn't compare it to any racer.

Uhhh yes you did.

Only from a shallow look. The games only look pretty, they don't have the complexities that Wii titles do. Fruit Ninja looks pretty as well.

You said Real Racing and Infinity Blade only look pretty and don't match the complexity of Wii titles and than you directly compared them to Fruit Ninja to try and prove your point on complexities as Fruit Ninja is a simple and pretty game.

They are mad they didn't get picked for next-gen.

They aren't mad, they could have easily gone for it but AMD is in harder times and needed the deal so they most likely gave Sony and Microsoft a great deal on hardware that Nvidia wasn't willing to match or beat.

synce

That Real Racing shot speaks for itself... I played it on my phone and it looks almost as good as GT5, with similar physics to boot ;)

Darryl

Banned
Uhhh yes you did.

You said Real Racing and Infinity Blade only look pretty and don't match the complexity of Wii titles and than you directly compared them to Fruit Ninja to try and prove your point on complexities as Fruit Ninja is a simple and pretty game.

Right, I listed it because it's another game that on a quick glance would probably look better than a Wii game because of modern shaders and a higher resolution. Look at the image of Infinity Blade above. It looks like a Wii game with bloom - nothing beyond that. It also has incredibly limited gameplay. Mobile is getting there - it isn't there yet.

edit: well it's already at Wii level, it just isn't much beyond that is what I'm saying

I wouldn't say that. They still haven't solved how to effectively cool these things. Phones are already bordering on too hot to touch when the gpu is going close to max.

well Haswell's die size and heat signature should be feasible for tablets, and Maxwell may make even more progress in that regard

coldfoot

Banned
Might not be there yet, but getting pretty damn close. I can see how next gen mobile processors could be up to it.
Laughably low poly models with laughably low-res textures in those shots. Look up GDDR5 bandwidth vs. LPDDR bandwidth before comparing mobile vs. console and you'll see why they're not going to catch up any time soon.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6426/ipad-4-gpu-performance-analyzed-powervr-sgx-554mp4-under-the-hood

ib131P4qqXkoBC.png

Looking at the past few years it seem like apple was able to double the ipad GPU performance with each passing year. if they continue this trend we should expect a 150 Gflops ipad this year.

Laughably low poly models with laughably low-res textures in those shots. Look up GDDR5 bandwidth vs. LPDDR bandwidth before comparing mobile vs. console and you'll see why they're not going to catch up any time soon.

He is talking about current gen consoles I believe.

Razgreez

Actually it does look closer to GT5 than 4 due to resolution however, textures, reflections (which appear non existent), physics, weather, lighting etc. are all way below GT5. It looks more like an old-ish school arcade racer with much better models and resolution

xenist

I'm commenting in this thread for archival purposes. No matter how many times the amateur hardware experts on GAF eat crow they keep going. And as it was so it will be.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Nvidia is the Crytek of the Hardware Space.

That's mean that would imply they make glitchy products with not much depth. Some of their drivers are bad but since they took out 3dfx they have been king more times when it comes to GPUS than anyone else since.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I can see mobile phone matching, if not surpassing the PS3 by 2015. Do you really need anything more powerful than that for the next few years?

Ummm... How does 96 nVidia GFLOPs and 32bit bus DDR3 compete with 240 GFLOPs and 128bit bus GDDR3 exactly?

Maybe with Tegra 5 if we're lucky.

Alchemy

Show me something as good as God of War Ascension or Uncharted on a phone and I will believe you. Wont care because of the controls, but I will believe you.

Radec

That's mean that would imply they make glitchy products with not much depth. Some of their drivers are bad but since they took out 3dfx they have been king more times when it comes to GPUS than anyone else since.

I meant on the technical side of things.

They excel at bringing high technical things to the PC no doubt, but both are mediocre on consoles though.

Both talk alot too.

Atomski

The whole salt thing is getting really old.. I am not sure why it even pertains to this thread as they are not even talking next gen consoles.

Its a given that mobile devices will eventually out power these old current gen consoles, im just not sure how we will have the battery power for such a device.

Atomski

Are you saying the next batch of mobile phones will outperform a Vita?

I never said phone.. I said mobile device which is what Nividia said. Which yeah I could see newer mobile devices (and phones lol) easily out performing the Vita.. kind of a given.

awa64

Banned
Xbox 360: 77 GFLOPS from the processor, 240 GFLOPS from the GPU.

I'm having trouble finding GFLOPS estimates for ARM processors, so I'll be going with a "4 FLOPs per clock cycle" estimate.

iPhone 4S/iPad 2: CPU 6.4 GFLOPS, GPU 14.4 GFLOPS

iPad 3: CPU 8 GFLOPS, GPU 36 GFLOPS

iPhone 5: CPU 10 GFLOPS, GPU 27 GFLOPS

iPad 4: CPU 11 GFLOPS, GPU 77 GFLOPS.

So... given the GPU performance appears to be doubling annually, with diminishing returns on CPU performance, we might see an Apple tablet that competes with the 360 in late 2014, and a phone in 2015? Nvidia's claim looks optimistic, but not outlandish.

Tratorn

Oh man, Nvidia is really BS'ing these days...

Not even in rawpower that'll be the case.
In terms of graphics/performance in games it won't be even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom