• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia: "Next batch of mobile phones will outperform 360 and PS3"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a matter of time I suppose

gtc-2013-roadmap.png

Sorral

I don't think they are salty. Next gen phone will obviously be stronger than PSVita! And vita is nearing ps3 level of games if not graphics.
The Vita is over a year old and is being sold at $250. With next gen phones, that's no achievement for how much they are and when they are releasing.

Strike

Sure, but you'll seldom (if ever) see any of that processing power utilized in an actual game. That + no buttons = moot

I actually agree with this. The pads are already coming close with 1080p games.

Watch mobile catch up to next-gen consoles in another 5-7yrs. Mobile tech is definitely evolving faster than consoles.

-M

maltrain

Of course... now eNVIDIA make Uncharted 2 or Gears of War 1 (old games) running properly on an iPhone or a Galaxy S4... XD

eNVIDIA speech is full of crap lately...

(eNVIDIA mean "envy" in spanish... the name of that company is PERFECT)

MCD

I am more interested in the performance and speed it brings rather than graphics.

While the Tegra 3 found in my Surface RT is smooth, it is still nowhere close to current ATOM.

i-Lo

fixed.

And while it's very impressive how far mobile tech has come, i think we're probably still a couple years from having our phones match the horse power of the PS3/360 generation.

screenpgp.png

Eh, that would be tough to excuse for even a launch PS360 title.

And we haven't even gone to the myriad of graphical effects let alone number of animations per character, number of characters and items on screen, physics for all things in the world etc that would be seen on a console game (PS3/360).

Mobile technology catching up to current gen is an inevitability. I just don't know if I can trust nVidia's claim that the next generation of iteration of its tech will be able to do that. But if they can good for them.

big_z

nvidia needs to fire some of their talking heads. yes nvidia makes the best graphics hardware but lately the stupid shit coming out of their mouths is laughable.

as for the phones outperforming current gen consoles... lol. companies have been saying that for a few years now and while phones are catching up in being able to do similar visual effects they're still a long years off in raw horsepower.

neoanarch

I don't see why not. The Wii U already came in a really shrunk down package and is on par with the ps360. But I doubt it will be on a cell where the level is reached. Tablet definitely but the cell may be 2 gens off.

Technically true, but THIS SOON? Either I'm underestimating phones or that'd take a crazy ass fucking leap.

Well the jump from Tegra 3 to Tegra 4 was a 6X boost, from 12GFlops to 80GFlops. Keep going and Tegra 5 will be around 500-600GFlops.

I believe PowerVr's Series 6 GPU's will be anywhere from 100GFlops to 1TFlops.

Triple U

Banned
And we haven't even gone to the myriad of graphical effects let alone number of animations per character, number of characters and items on screen, physics for all things in the world etc that would be seen on a console game (PS3/360).

Mobile technology catching up to current gen is an inevitability. I just don't know if I can trust nVidia's claim that the next generation of iteration of its tech will be able to do that. But if they can good for them.
I wouldn't say that. They still haven't solved how to effectively cool these things. Phones are already bordering on too hot to touch when the gpu is going close to max.

Jawmuncher

We haven't even gotten up to Wii standards on mobile. I don't see how this would be possible and kept under a regular budget.

Shambles

While I don't disagree with you on not trusting where nVidia says their next product goes the current batch of consoles are pretty abysmal with animations, world size and physics. Most of the console games have turned into helmet wearing tunnel shooters so the engine has to render as little as possible.

That roadmap slide seems pretty odd that they're saying there's a 2x performance increase, than 5x, then 2x, then 5x between generations. I could see the Tegra 5 production launch title type graphics but I seriously doubt they'll be able to make titles look like UC3 or MGS4, or ME3 etc.

i-Lo

I wouldn't say that. They still haven't solved how to effectively cool these things. Phones are already bordering on too hot to touch when the gpu is going close to max.

Well, they will eventually come up more creative solution or the evolution of tech will allow for utilization of different materials etc. That's why I said it's inevitable but didn't assign it a time frame.

Suffice it to say, what ever mobiles can do the home consoles by their current design philosophy will always stay ahead.

MCD

Time for some nyko intercoolers on our phones!

Seems a bit of a stretch.

Also, there's just one problem. I don't want to play PlayStation 3 games on a tiny screen that is barely a few inches in any direction. Where I have to play with by touchpad and my fingers cover a good chunk of the screen.

Well, hopefully maybe at this rate we'll have the Oculus Rift in the form of Google glasses and contact lenses by 2020.

DonMigs85

A lot of mobile games really do look great at first glance though, like Riptide, Real Racing, and Dead Trigger. It's mostly through creative use of assets, shaders and art design to help cover up their actual low-poly nature.

i-Lo

While I don't disagree with you on not trusting where nVidia says their next product goes the current batch of consoles are pretty abysmal with animations, world size and physics. Most of the console games have turned into helmet wearing tunnel shooters so the engine has to render as little as possible.

That roadmap slide seems pretty odd that they're saying there's a 2x performance increase, than 5x, then 2x, then 5x between generations. I could see the Tegra 5 production launch title type graphics but I seriously doubt they'll be able to make titles look like UC3 or MGS4, or ME3 etc.

I don't know if I could call animations abysmal given what a glorious evolution it has been since the PS2 days. Nathan Drake along with very few others are at a coveted place when it comes to in game character animation. Of course, NPCs still can still show signs of popping state to state (I think this depends on resource apportionment and becomes a challenge the larger a game gets). I think glitches that detract from immersion have become more of an issue. In terms of scale, I think it's there but abject pop in related issues directly proportion to it is another detractor.

liquidfox00

Neo Member
yeah you know nvidia... i want more advances in batteries than gpus that makes my cellphone last 1 hour.

Absolutely this. Give me a phone that lasts a week on a full charge rather than a GTX Titan packed into it.

Batteries need to come a long way before we see truly powerful mobile devices that last longer than an hour.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Battery technology is holding back anything they want to do on mobile platforms right now, we need better batteries and fast.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Only from a shallow look. The games only look pretty, they don't have the complexities that Wii titles do. Fruit Ninja looks pretty as well.

How do you know this?

Are you really comparing the complexity of Fruit Ninja to a 3D racing game?

gamers complain about 4 dollars a month for xbox live. i dont think a device that comes with an 80 dollar per month contract is going to impress this group.

This is exactly why I'm sticking to tablets for mobile gaming it is insanely cheaper for similar performance on a much larger device, Nexus 7 for instance.

bangai-o

Banned
gamers complain about 4 dollars a month for xbox live. i dont think a device that comes with an 80 dollar per month contract is going to impress this group.

Loofy

Why? mobiles good for your flash looking games. Bejewelled doesnt need more power.

I tried playing this diablo clone on my GS3. This is what my character looked like.
gxaKshR.jpg

DonMigs85

Only from a shallow look. The games only look pretty, they don't have the complexities that Wii titles do. Fruit Ninja looks pretty as well.

Actually even a budget dual-core smartphone of today can outperform Wii when it comes to CPU, GPU and RAM bandwidth.

odhiex

Since NVidia does not make games themselves, It would probably be the impresive tech-demoes as always.

"Project" Shield 2 with tegra 5...bring it on :p

We haven't even gotten up to Wii standards on mobile. I don't see how this would be possible and kept under a regular budget.

No way man, the Wii is like 20 GFLOPS at best, mobilephones surpassed that thing by 2010. If we were to believe that Nvidia road map too appearntlly we will have 1 tflops phones by 2016. Mobile phones are really powerfull.

Averon

Batteries and heat restrictions imposed on mobile phones due to their compact size make me seriously doubt this claim.

TheD

The Detective
Well, the GPU in the Ipad 4 has a GPU that on paper can do 76 GFLOPS max (based on it using a 300Mhz clock speed), the 360 has a GPU that can do on paper 250GFLOPS.
It is also a tablet and should be able to fit a higher TDP chip in it. The fastest phones have less than half of that.

So I would not say it will be the next gen of phones that beat them.

On the other hand ARM A15 CPUs are not bad (much faster per a clock than the A9), so I think it might be able to beat the Xenon.

liquidfox00

Neo Member
Why? mobiles good for your flash looking games. Bejewelled doesnt need more power.

I tried playing this diablo clone on my GS3. This is what my character looked like.
gxaKshR.jpg

This is hilarious, bravo, also a good point. Having our fat fingers cluttering up the screen sort of defeats the purpose of having super GPU's in mobiles.

I'd love to see their vaunted tegra 4 running a fully fledged windows 7. Not even saying it hasn't been done, like to see how well it can handle a fully fledged OS because if it can't even do that then it's already still far behind. I mean if they were that confident in their tegra line why didn't they have to balls to try and run windows on project shield instead of streaming it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom