• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega adds disclaimers to Aliens: Colonial Marines ads after ASA complaint

surly

Banned
Sega has added disclaimers to its Aliens: Colonial Marines trailers after admitting they didn't accurately reflect the final game.

The decision was made following talks between Sega and the Advertising Standards Agency sparked by a complain made by a Reddit user called subpardave.

Subpardave wrote to the ASA highlighting what he described as the "absurd" difference between the "in-game" and "playthrough" footage used to advertise the troubled Gearbox Software shooter.

"Of course, the game looked and played NOTHING like what was shown to consumers," subpardave wrote on Reddit.

"My aim was not to get fines, compensation or any of that. Gearbox and Sega spoke very clearly - by saying absolutely nothing - and showed the purchasing community that they would rather this mess all quietly disappear.

"The games industry - like any other - needs to be held accountable for blatantly deceiving the consumer. And doubly so when a wall of silence is the only response to resounding criticism for shipping a shoddy product, having shown off one with all the bells and whistles.
Full article at Eurogamer, HERE.

Here's the reply from the ASA received by "subpardave": -

QyR4adq.jpg

iMax

They're still advertising this game? Uggghhhh...

edit: This is the new disclaimer:

PLEASE NOTE:
The trailer footage shown uses the in-game engine, and represents a work in progress.

Still kinda misleading for the general consumer who has an expectation that the final version of any product should be better than its 'work in progress' iteration.

MarkusRJR

Still kinda misleading for the general consumer who has an expectation that the final version of any product should be better than its 'work in progress' iteration.
Wow that is still really misleading...

wildfire

Banned
PLEASE NOTE:
The trailer footage shown uses the in-game engine, and represents a work in progress.

If I was ever interested in CM I would've filed a complaint over something as duplicitous as this wording after they promised otherwise. But I wasn't, so I won't. I do think anyone else who did buy this game should become seriously consider filing a complaint now.

Berg

Is the problem with this game the graphics not being what was led on to be? Or is the gameplay/story just as bad? glitches?

That new disclaimer is so poor. Work in progress is used to inform the viewer the final product will be of higher standard. The disclaimer should have said 'Footage shown is not in game footage'

Andrew.

Banned
Good on the Reddit guy (never thought Id ever type that)

ACM is still better than Crysis 3 though. Yeah I said it.

Fox Mulder

Too bad this doesn't happen in the US.

I really want to see Sega sue Gearbox for this turd, but Sega still willingly takes people's money for it.

stuminus3

Banned
This is something that is known to happen in the UK and it amazes me every time a company tries to get away with it there. I'm completely behind the ASA on this and I would continue to be even if Colonial Marines wasn't terrible.

javac

The damage has been done, no? The game sold better then it deserved and THAT is an unfortunate thing to say about a product.

That's pretty much the disclaimer for every trailer pre-launch date. It's amazing how they got away with this.

womp

This used to happen all the time, back in the 80's.

C64 and PC games would use arcade screen shots on the back of boxes for home ports. Capcom and Mindscrape were the worst offenders. :p

SkyandSun

Banned
The disclaimer is utterly toothless - as someone else has pointed out, it actually implies that the full retail game will be even better. I hope this isn't acceptable to the ASA?

Top Bottom