• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Randy Pitchford: I agree with [EGM] that Aliens: Colonial Marines was a 9/10

Pitchford is a piece of garbage. ACM was a fucking insult to aliens fans, videogame fans, and anyone who came into contact with that pile of tripe, essentially.

Have any of you even read the actual text of the review or paid attention to the fact that Brandon Justice was fired almost right after it was published?

are you implying he was fired for the review? first i heard of it.

I said he was fired very soon after the review.

Note the following blog post, which is well-written and looks at all of major points that I considered at the time the review was published:

https://varewulf.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/update-brandon-justice-no-longer-works-at-egm-now/

Now I was tipped off that mister Justice might have been fired from EGM, so I did some light investigating and found that he does indeed no longer work there. The boss at the site, publisher Steve Harris, insists that Brandon Justice was not fired over Colonial Marines, but that it “is actually related to actions that took place prior to last week“. It is left hanging whether or not he was fired at all, or left of his own will, but it seems like what is not being said here is as significant as what is.

Let us go through this little editorial and I’ll quote the bits I find significant. He starts off by stating his intention:

This post will hopefully let me set the record straight on how EGM handles reviews in general—and this particular piece specifically.

Which seems like a fair reason. Question were raised, and he feels like they should be addressed. Now after the opening paragraph, he follows up with this one, which I will quote in full.

Let me begin by stating that I find it more than slightly ironic that many (if not most) of the critics who have questioned the veracity of Brandon’s opinions are doing so by passing erroneous speculation off as fact themselves. EGM wasn’t paid off. EGM didn’t sell advertisements to Sega or Gearbox or receive any compensation from anyone associated with Aliens: Colonial Marines. EGM didn’t attempt to change or influence Brandon’s opinions. And EGM has always, and will always, stand behind our reviewers regardless of criticism.

I am willing to accept that no payoffs happened here. I wouldn’t put it past certain publishers or even developers to maybe attempt a payoff occasionally, but I do not believe this is in any way a common occurrence, because there’s a lot more risk than reward in such a situation. It is more likely that someone, somewhere, in the chain of command took it upon themselves to make a poor decision. Or maybe that’s not the case either. Maybe mister Justice is simply a huge Aliens fan, and had an absolute blast with this game, and truly felt it deserved 9/10. He’s just not a good enough writer to explain why he thinks the game deserves that, and instead writes a review that reads more like a wonderfully sarcastic takedown of the game, until you see the score and realise they’re trying to pass this off as genuine. Maybe it was done as a dare. Whichever it is, reviews will always be subjective opinions, but reviewers should have the skill to be able to justify them with their writing.

So much more at the link, and this one as well:

https://varewulf.wordpress.com/2013/02/13/aliens-colonial-marines-a-work-of-art/

I'll go so far as to say that the real story isn't Pitchman's championing the review as some delusional form of vindication (it's totally in his character to do such a thing; not surprising in the least)...it's the review itself, Brandon Justice, and the Alien banner ads that adorned EGM at the time the review went live.

The fact that it's the one review that Randy keeps bringing up just tells me there's something awfully fishy going on there, when you read the actual review and note that it doesn't even qualify as a fucking review on a formal, structural level, it's more suited to being a blurb on the back of the box.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
My favourite Randy lie has to be the one about how Valve and Gearbox were named, it really demonstrates how dangerously deluded he is.

d00d3n

My favourite Randy lie has to be the one about how Valve and Gearbox were named, it really demonstrates how dangerously deluded he is.

There is also zero effort to avoid contradicting life witnesses or other concrete evidence. Psychotic demons usually have the decency to create a consistent and logical madness. "Don't talk to me when other people are around" and so on. Randy gives zero fucks about this. His delusional worldview is truly unhinged.

RexNovis

Banned
There is also zero effort to avoid contradicting life witnesses or other concrete evidence. Psychotic demons usually have the decency to create a consistent and logical madness. "Don't talk to me when other people are around" and so on. Randy gives zero fucks about this. His delusional worldview is truly unhinged.

The best part is when he says that his investors told him if he didn't win the name in some poker match there would be no studio. Like wtf? Who would believe such a load of BS?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

In a thread last year, another Gaffer posted about a time he introduced himself to Randy on a plane. Randy said something along the lines of 'I get that a lot, but I'm not actually Randy Pitchford'. Moments later he overheard Randy bragging to the person next to him about how he does it all the time when fans introduce themselves, and that he thinks it's hilarious.

jacobeid

Banned
If he is sincere? Possibly... :(

Stop digging that shitty hole, Randy.

There's nothing sincere about Randy's lies or how he believes the shit he says.

In a thread last year, another Gaffer posted about a time he introduced himself to Randy on a plane. Randy said something along the lines of 'I get that a lot, but I'm not actually Randy Pitchford'. Moments later he overheard Randy bragging to the person next to him about how he does it all the time when fans introduce themselves and that he thinks it's hilarious.

Lol what a schmuck. Hey Randy, nobody outside the games industry knows who you are and the people inside the games industry don't respect you. Maaaaaan what a shitty guy.

In a thread last year, another Gaffer posted about a time he introduced himself to Randy on a plane. Randy said something along the lines of 'I get that a lot, but I'm not actually Randy Pitchford'. Moments later he overheard Randy bragging to the person next to him about how he does it all the time when fans introduce themselves, and that he thinks it's hilarious.
What a dick haha

Markitron

There's nothing sincere about Randy's lies or how he believes the shit he says.

Lol what a schmuck. Hey Randy, nobody outside the games industry knows who you are and the people inside the games industry don't respect you. Maaaaaan what a shitty guy.

What a dick haha

Maybe the guy that posted it originally can re-tell the story if he sees the thread. I obviously just kept the broad strokes as I read it a year ago.

Shifty

How is this still going on? How? The man's delusional.

Also, games are generally meant to be better in the final release, not simply 'different'. SMH

Hush up Randy. In pure statistical and status terms, you're suggesting that ACM is on the level of Mario Galaxy or other games of that caliber?

Your "game" was a piece of crap. Admit it and regain a modicum of respect for showing some honesty and courage, or just shut the fuck up and never speak of it again. The choice is yours.

d00d3n

The best part is when he says that his investors told him if he didn't win the name in some poker match there would be no studio. Like wtf? Who would believe such a load of BS?

Yeah, it is crazy.

Just wow.

That dude is determine to take this stance to the grave.

His gravestone will say:

"Alien's: Colonial Marine's was a good, no GREAT game. EGM said so.

Hahahaha what a world class ass hole!

Tankard

So he will agree with the 9/10 review and disagree with the rest of them and the rest of the world.

I feel Randy is a 12 years old child trapped into a old man's body.

Sorcerer

He's starting to come across as a bitter asshat, who won't shut the hell up about the game until he gets some validation that it was some kind of underrated classic.

That sometimes happens in other mediums, such as film, but not video games. Video games certainly do not age like fine wine. If it was shit to start, its not going to magically get reevaluated and become a classic.

Fuck this guy.

Dremark

Banned
He's starting to come across as a bitter asshat, who won't shut the hell up about the game until he gets some validation that it was some kind of underrated classic.

That sometimes happens in other mediums, such as film, but not video games. Video games certainly do not age like fine wine. If it was shit to start, its not going to magically get reevaluated and become a classic.

Fuck this guy.

Actually Metal Gear Solid 2 was reevaluated by a lot of people who dismissed it early on and they changed viewpoints on it.

It's a different from Aliens:CM in that the game stiff had an overall good reception despite a lot of the backlash and the majority of the backlash was due to people not understanding the story (At least in the cases of the people who changed thier minds).

This won't happen for Aliens:CM though because unlike MGS2 the game actually is a giant turd.

Jito

Banned
Wait, has the game been doomed before it's even been released?

Looking at a few screen shots, it looks like another Borderlands without the cell shaded artwork.

It's a hot mess based on what I've played. Cluttered game with typical floaty gearbox shooting, ran like shit as well.

Raytow

Wait, has the game been doomed before it's even been released?

Looking at a few screen shots, it looks like another Borderlands without the cell shaded artwork.
Negative, is a moba like hero shooter, whatever the hell is the genre called, that is all the rage right now.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Actually Metal Gear Solid 2 was reevaluated by a lot of people who dismissed it early on and they changed viewpoints on it.

It's a different from Aliens:CM in that the game stiff had an overall good reception despite a lot of the backlash and the majority of the backlash was due to people not understanding the story (At least in the cases of the people who changed thier minds).

This won't happen for Aliens:CM though because unlike MGS2 the game actually is a giant turd.
I actually looked at Aliens: CM not too long ago and have come to realize that it's biggest sin lies in the fact that it's simply not fun to play. The core mechanics are weak, enemy AI is poor, scenario design is boring, and the whole thing feels flimsy. The game functions and isn't particularly unpolished at this point, but there's just nothing there. It's a hollow experience.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I wonder if its possible to get in touch with Brandon to see if he can shed more light on that story...

he's got a twitter but it hasn't seen much use lately.

last time I checked he still stands by that review

8uB7yJG.png

EGM1966

IGN scored Alien Isolation way too low and EGM scored Alien Colonial Marines way too high.

Go figure.

Also Randy take your meds before speaking in public. Particularly if you're going to refer to the mediocrity of Colonial Marines.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I didn't think it deserved all the negativity it got. Sure the game wasn't as great as I would've liked but there were some moments I really enjoyed it. I do understand peoples gripes though, being misled from the initial reveals and previews compared to the final package but I've definitely played worse games in the franchise (Aliens vs Predator 2010 springs to mind).

MMaRsu

Banned
I didn't think it deserved all the negativity it got. Sure the game wasn't as great as I would've liked but there were some moments I really enjoyed it. I do understand peoples gripes though, being misled from the initial reveals and previews compared to the final package but I've definitely played worse games in the franchise (Aliens vs Predator 2010 springs to mind).

Please stop. Avp 2010 is in almost every way better than that POS colonial Marines.

Play it again if you dont remember.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I actually think that particular AvP game plays a hell of a lot better than CM. It's not a good game, but it's mechanically more fun to play.

Top Bottom