• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Randy Pitchford: I agree with [EGM] that Aliens: Colonial Marines was a 9/10

this being the 143rd post is a travesty.

Yeah it really should ha......Wait, what the fuck is this
image.php

Randy, just stop. Admit you made a game that is very divisive, some people like it, some people hate it and leave it at that.

Not every game you make needs to be the greatest thing ever and if you make one that not everyone loves just work on making the next one even better.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
PREORDER BATTLEBORN NOW!

This dude is straight crazy. Why would you act like this..... Unless you just dont give a fuck!

Demoskinos

Randy Pitchford is a fucking scumbag. He's deceptive and really shitty to his audience and still fails to accept the blame for any of his companies failings.

Fury451

Banned
Every time he opens his mouth about this game, it basically reminds me not to pick up the next Borderlands.

At its absolute best, the game was merely mediocre. But all of that scumbaggy marketing was something else entirely.

Guerrilla

Randy, just stop. Admit you made a game that is very divisive, some people like it, some people hate it and leave it at that.

Not every game you make needs to be the greatest thing ever and if you make one that not everyone loves just work on making the next one even better.
hell-are-you-talking-about.gif

ElRenoRaven

Every time he opens his mouth about this game, it basically reminds me not to pick up the next Borderlands.

At its absolute best, the game was merely mediocre. But all of that scumbaggy marketing was something else entirely.

Yup. I quit buying anything Gearbox makes after Aliens due to the fact that he won't just man up and admit it sucked. Instead he has pretty much said everyone is delusional and it's the greatest thing ever time and time again.

It's not divisive at all.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The only good thing to come out of that game was this gif:
Alientrex.gif
Yuuup.

Where's the version with the text saying "but... they made Borderlands! BORDERLANDS! ...fuck."

I remember seeing a lot of people at PAX that year. Developers I admired and who were all super nice to fans. I saw Randy Pitchford, said "ew", and walked the other way.

Aegryan

Neo Member
Let us take a moment to appreciate how good Alien: Isolation was.

ACM was an unforgivable abomination, even worse than the Aliens Vs Predator 360/PS3 game.

Let us take a moment to appreciate how good Alien: Isolation was.

I am honestly not a big fan of Alien Isolation, the way the game was paced always felt a bit off to me. But it is still a work of art in comparison to Aliens: Colonial Marines. Thank god Sega bounced back with one solid Alien title. Alien Isolation is still everything that I wanted Colonial Marines to be.

I still remember back in 2005 when I kinda knew someone that left development of Duke Nukem Forever at 3D Realms to helm Colonial Marines for Gearbox. That guy was so excited to get the job, but he never stayed at Gearbox long enough to see the finished product.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't understand how Randy thinks it's a good idea to keep spouting off like this. He's doing so much more damage to his reputation by standing up for the game in this way.

I am honestly not a big fan of Alien Isolation, the way the game was paced always felt a bit off to me. But it is still a work of art in comparison to Aliens: Colonial Marines. Thank god Sega bounced back with one solid Alien title.
Honestly, Isolation is one of my favorites of the past few years. It was a better System Shock than any of the Bioshock games. It was ultimately more streamlined and relied more on avoidance than Shock 2, but it had that vibe going on. I just love it.

Have you played your own game, Randy?

I mean, actually played the final product and not some canned demo that ended up looking nothing like the final product: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiemSUKczA
I know everyone takes the game to task for not matching that demo but I feel that is the least of its problems. Visuals are not the issue. Even if it looked exactly like that demo it would still be rubbish.

SoulUnison

Banned
It's incredible how much damage this one man has managed to do to his own company just by constantly opening his mouth.

Back in 2010 I went to PAX and attended a panel about Gearbox and Borderlands. I was super excited as Borderlands was an unexpected hit that I and several friends were really enjoying, and I couldn't wait to hear from the guy behind the team and maybe get some tidbits about future DLC or Borderlands 2.

Instead I walked away from the panel completely crestfallen and heartbroken.

Pitchford didn't seem to know anything about game design or development besides spouting off the numerous buzzwords he'd picked up flitting around the industry.

Make no mistake: Randy Pitchford isn't a game developer - he's a businessman. And he's a barely competent one, at that.

He seems to have accidently hit on what turned out to be an extremely popular formula, and can't seem to understand that "luck" doesn't equate to "talent." He seriously seems to think he's some sort of misunderstood genius, dragged down by us common men.

I know everyone takes the game to task for not matching that demo but I feel that is the least of its problems. Visuals are not the issue. Even if it looked exactly like that demo it would still be rubbish.

But the faked demo still held more promise for an immersive Aliens experience. The final game ended up being an incredibly forgettable FPS with the Aliens license attached to it.

Honestly, Isolation is one of my favorites of the past few years. It was a better System Shock than any of the Bioshock games. It was ultimately more streamlined and relied more on avoidance than Shock 2, but it had that vibe going on. I just love it.

I wasn't a huge fan of the door hacking or some of the avoidance gameplay. I also felt that it did drag on a bit too long. But I can't deny that the game has an incredible atmosphere and the game is still really well made for what it is. I am not opposed of anyone giving this a 9 on their own personal review scale. I would love to see Creative Assembly take a crack at Jame Cameron's Aliens, or even Alien 3. I don't care for Alien 3 as a movie, but it has the perfect visual flair and environment for another Alien Isolation inspired game.

KarmaCow

AFAIK probably the most despicable individual in the industry.

Eh, this is more sad than truly awful. There are worse shitbags like the people in charge of Team Bondi or the old head of Trendy Entertainment than some PR guy who drank his own koolaid.

Sanke__

I honestly can not think of anyone involved in the video game industry that I dislike anywhere near as much as this man.

He must have sold his soul to the devil to avoid becoming a used car salesman.

Also, of course he agrees with the review he wrote.
I'm surprised he was able to stop himself from giving it a 10/10.

Welp, it says something that he's the only gaming personality that I actively avoid supporting because of how much of an asshat he is. I'm sure Tales from the Borderlands isn't good enough to justify giving this man a single dollar.

I'm actually really looking forward to Battleborn, but purely out of spite.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Welp, it says something that he's the only gaming personality that I actively avoid supporting because of how much of an asshat he is. I'm sure Tales from the Borderlands isn't good enough to justify giving this man a single dollar.

Tales is really good, though, and not made by Pitchford. It's one, if not THE, best TellTale adventure.

Sanke__

I feel like you are reading my mind about tales from the borderlands and battleborn
Can't wait for that glorious train wreck

Doesn't he get money from the Borderlands license though? I've got lots of good games to play instead.

Yes, some percentage of sales is very likely tied to bonus checks that he receives

Banned
Omg I fucken hate this guy so much. Every time he speaks. Stupid shit like this. So ignorant. Just admit you put out a shitty game.

Stiler

Seriously, how delusional can you be?

A Bullshit lawsuit? A good game?

Does Randy not understand that if he was simply HONEST and humble, admitted they handled things wrongly that people would be able to eventually move on and let it go?

I was a HUGE BIA fan, I played every game, borderlands wasn't my bag but I could understand why people like it, but Aliens: CM was the one game out of every game I've ever played that I truly felt like I was lied to about the game, that they purposely mis-led customers and people to get money and then bait and switched it.

It looked nothing like the supposed "Gameplay demo" that was shown off, played nothing like it.

He talked about how much he loved the IP, WHY WOULD YOU OUTSOURCE IT? Why would you supposedly take development money from Sega and then use it on Borderlands 2? If you so loved the IP why would you not you know, freaking take the TIME and care to make it GOOD?

Look at Alien: Isolation, THAT is what you do with an IP you "love" you take the time, you make it good, you can play Alien: Isolation and see how much the developers cared for it and took great passion in making it.

Aliens: CM? An outsourced piece of garbage that was about as generic as you can get, like they focused on Borderlands 2 and then just let the other studio make it without Gearbox even attempting to make it themselves or caring what they got back from the other studio.

Top Bottom