• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Xbox Reveal Set For May 21, 10:00 A.M. PST, Livestreamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Only interesting stuff from that 4chan link is this:

Referred to as neXtBox throughout development period, KineXbox to those looking for a beating, but the official title is... "Xbox Now!"

Yes, it even has that little explanation point at the end, the "Xbox Now!"

Specs; 7000-series AMD, Backwards compatibility, access to featured 'channels' and social networking dependent on membership status, as previously stated, and subscription to the "Now!" service.

At launch capable of viewing in 3D, with added option of playing disc media such as DVD's and Blu-Ray's once again depending on Now! and membership period.
Also, I'd hate to sound condescending to the newer generation of gamers, but in the eyes of advertisement executives and marketing maestros everywhere, the name Xbox Now! fits in perfectly as a buzzword to just filter through the industry.

While the Xbox Now! uses Kinect like its predecessor, "Xbox, Turn on" is a defunct command.
Instead, gamers can turn on their consoles with an issued command of "Xbox, Now!".

Edit: XboxNow.com redirects to Xbox.com... uh-oh...

What? There aren't any PS3s without HDMI, what's up with that picture?

When Sony announced the PS3 20GB and 60GB SKUs in 2006, the 20 GB model was announced without WiFi, the chrome strip and HDMI. Right before launch, Sony reconsidered dropping the HDMI out in the 20 GB SKU.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
even if the rumoured specs were true... it is many multiples more powerful than current gen.

It is not underpowered at all, just on paper - based on a leak from over a year ago from a single source - slightly less powerful than what Sony has shown.

Not sure if reiko can confirm this is what he was getting at but it seems the easiest change to the rumoured spec is a faster / better GPU.

They are not going to change the memory set up - the Move Engines + DDR + ESRAM have been developed that way for a reason.

There's a slim chance there will be more memory in the box, but that would mean changing the bus.

My bet is, if they have changed the spec at all, that the GPU in the final box will be more powerful than in the leaks, but pretty much everything else with be the same.

But this spec talk is dull... in just TWO DAYS we'll see what this thing can put on screen - after that, it won't matter.

Even that would be challenging. From previous rumours this would be a big chip, and improving the GPU basically means adding more CUs at this stage, which would make the chip even larger and risk yields being too low to mass produce.

Assuming both Sony and MS are pushing the envelope items of manufacturability of a single chip solution, MS basically has to trade CUs to make space for the esram (which is required due to their fixed choice of large main memory)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
This bit makes it sound like he has seen the final design which would be a bit weird at this stage, right?

Like Kinect, Xbox Now! required adequate space to function properly. The design has remained largely unchanged from the previous Xbox 360 Slim version, a bit of artsy decal on the side that has "Now!" written across it.

It looks gaudy as hell, and extremely tacky, but what do I know...

Xbox Now?

Jesus Christ, that's bad.

No, just....

WFWRXSG.gif

NowTV is owned by Sky TV. Naming is coincidental.

Yes, but I can't imagine Microsoft not taking that into account when choosing what to name their next Xbox, along with the fact Xbox Now! would be very, very bad.

Will file this latest endeavor of the Rare Employee who risked his job to take to the 4chan-waves as Tales from My Ass.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Yes, but I can't imagine Microsoft not taking that into account when choosing what to name their next Xbox, along with the fact Xbox Now! would be very, very bad.

Will file this latest endeavor of the Rare Employee who risked his job to take to the 4chan-waves as Tales from My Ass.

I think you're making a big deal about something that doesn't matter.

Pistolero

Not believing it, on account of the name alone. Microsoft couldn't possibly chose to call it XboxNow.
The guy in question probably got his hand on some book or documentation on Rare and made their stories his. His vague description of the 3D capabilities suggests that he's drawn his inspiration from what's been made public on illumiRoom.

iMax

Only interesting stuff from that 4chan link is this:

Edit: XboxNow.com redirects to Xbox.com... uh-oh...

Microsoft registered a trademark for 'Xbox Now' in late March. If this is true, this is incredible. I couldn't believe it could get any worse than 'Xbox Infinity' but I think it just did.

edit: Looking at the trademark classification, it's more likely that this is the name of a service, possibly VOD.

Moxx19

Banned
Considering Microsoft's shift toward delivering entertainment services through xbox and what ever integrations they likely have going, I'd say the name isn't that farfetched even if it does sound stupid

Microsoft registered a trademark for 'Xbox Now' in late March. If this is true, this is incredible. I couldn't believe it could get any worse than 'Xbox Infinity' but I think it just did.

"List of goods and services: Audio, video and multimedia broadcasting via the internet."

Sounds like a VOD service.

EDIT: Oh you noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom