• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101: Kamiya "focus on fun, not length..." [Update: Inaba comments]

Rehynn

Compare graphically to Knack if old.

PRzcjU3.png

Thoughts by Kotaku's Stephen Totilo (nothing really noteworthy).

Searched, checked Kamiya Twitter thread, found nothing.

UPDATE: From Atsushi Inaba's Twitter:

So it looks like @PG_Kamiya has caused another bit of controversy. What he is saying is his basic approach to how he creates an action game. The idea is rooted in that you shouldn't pad your game with content users won't enjoy in order to control play time to the end of the game. It isn't something he wants to do, or thinks you should do.

BTW, if you didn't know @PG_Kamiya is the kind of game director who will pack as much content into the game as he can until he is satisfied. If we were to give in to all of his desires, the game we'd ship would probably be some super-long action game that no one would beat. I've been teamed up with @PG_Kamiya as his producer for a long time now, and game length is something I've never once worried about.

That means both the length of a single play-through and the replayability of the game. Never worried once. Never. Actually, my job really is to be the one who says "This is too %^&* long! Cut it!"

Of course, even though @pg_kamiya didn't intend for people to jump to their own conclusions, they did. In this case, that conclusion was "So TW101 is going to be short then?!" Let me make my own conclusion: TW101 will be so much fun you are going to wear out your Wii U GamePad. You will have plenty of fun playing it for the first time, and just as much fun playing it over and over again. Actually, the Wii U GamePad is pretty sturdy, so you probably won't wear it out...

And I'm sorry I can't explain to you in exact terms why I think you will have so much fun with TW101. I promise there will be plenty of news about the game in the days and weeks to come. But I will say this - Everyone here is working incredibly hard to make sure you say two things about TW101. One: I'm happy I bought a Wii U! -- Two: I'm happy I bought The Wonderful 101!

Sorry for the flood of tweets, but thanks for staying with me!

https://twitter.com/PG_inaba/

(Thanks, axisofweevils!)

GulAtiCa

Given how often he trolls people, hard to tell if he is trolling here or not. lol

Short or not, I still want it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The frustrating part is I am pretty convinced the game is completely done and just waiting for Nintendo to get it out.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
After so much game media tried to jump down Revengeance's throat due to the way Platinum Games display their final game time clock, not surprised to see Kamiya getting his ducks in a row beforehand.

The frustrating part is I am pretty convinced the game is completely done and just waiting for Nintendo to get it out.

I would not be surprised at all. Least it wont be as bad as Platinum's experience with Anarchy Reigns from Sega!

WillyFive

Well, short games can be good, like Star Fox 64, where you can play it over and over again and never gets old. But they can be bad like Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2, where it was a total scam. Hopefully W101 is like the former.

Rehynn

If it's as replayable as, say, the Tony Hawk games or Rising, then I'm totally OK with this.

However, I still prefer the approach that stresses fun and plenty of lenght/content - like Mario Galaxy.

hammster

Archbishop of Canterburny
I agree with him on the fun > length thing.

Sustaining 'fun' over a long length of time is the ultimate goal though really, right?

B.O.O.M

Preemtive damage control? Unless he is trolling the length might be pretty bad

Is this going to be a retail release?

Bayonetta's not a long game either, but it's full of tons of content and it's loads of fun.

All of Kamiya's games are incredibly focused on replay value. I don't think this'll be an exception.

Hiltz

Kamiya, don't turn this into a short and repetitive game like Madworld with little replay value. Hey, he can rename the title, The Wonderful 101 Minutes.

JoeFenix

Sounds great, still my most anticipated game this year.

Better be jam packed with Platinum medals to earn and a shitload of unlocks and fun extras though.

Short but highly replayable is fine by me!

blackflag

Well I buy everything Platinum makes but that's scary. 6 hours is fine to me. Less than that at full price and we gonna have problems.

NotLiquid

None of Platinum's games are that long and practically all of them are to some degree my favorite games in whatever genre they occupy, so really this is par for the course. Bayonetta, Vanquish and Metal Gear Rising are replayable as hell on the virtue of damn addicting gameplay design and mechanics that allow for so much freedom. It's not necessarily even about getting the scores but about how well you can experiment and find fun from approaching anything from any angle. They are games that reward creativity and precision all while allowing you to go nuts in any capacity.

TW101 will hopefully go above and beyond yet again. I have faith in Kamiya. He hasn't worked on a game proper since Bayonetta so if it's as long as that I'll be happy, but I can settle with MGR length too.

XenoRaven

I'd take a fun 6 hours that I'll keep replaying over a mediocre 15-20, which is the goal that most "AAA" games I've been playing recently seem to shoot for.

I get why people complain about length, but I just can't agree and probably never will. I grew up playing short games that were just really fun. Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, etc are all legendary franchises that contain games that you can beat in a day if you know what you're doing. I don't see why that suddenly has to change.

Top Bottom