• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101: Kamiya "focus on fun, not length..." [Update: Inaba comments]

The frustrating part is I am pretty convinced the game is completely done and just waiting for Nintendo to get it out.

Well yeah, obviously.

Platinum Games is an extraordinarily efficient, well-managed studio. The Wonderful 101 could ship tomorrow.

It's Nintendo who's deliberately staggering their release schedule to give the Wii U a bombastic lineup of back-to-back releases post-E3.

Daingurse

Kamiya, don't turn this into a short and repetitive game like Madworld with little replay value. Hey, he can rename the title, The Wonderful 101 Minutes.

Friday-damn.gif

Rehynn

Kamiya, don't turn this into a short and repetitive game like Madworld with little replay value. Hey, he can rename the title, The Wonderful 101 Minutes.

Kamiya wasn't really involved in MadWorld, it was directed by Shigenori Nishikawa.

Tain

Is a short length ever the main problem with a game in a world where 30 minute games are sometimes the best in their genre?

Thorakai

This is one of those game details that shouldn't be revealed in Twitter without consultation with Minami and/or Nintendo. I'm sure Platinum wants the game to sell well and comments suggesting TW101 will be short will hurt more than help. I'm sure the game will be highly replayable, but without a PR piece that details exactly why this game will be worth the admission price this comment will just push people away.

Nibel

There is a huge difference between games that you can finish in a day and never touch again and games that you can finish in a day with huge replay value

Unlockables, leaderboards, etc. and overall excellent gameplay mechanics add value to games

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I honestly don't mind. Bayonetta was fucking awesome but it was repeating content a little by the end, so a shorter experience would be fine by me. Just make sure it's enticingly in replayability!

JoeFenix

As you get older you tend to value the tightly designed super replayable classics more.

Most of the really good games still have a bunch of padding that somewhat kills my desire to replay them, stuff like Rising and Vanquish is GOGOGO all the way and they're all the better for it.

Good philosophy to have when making an action game, all killer no filler!

Gannd

Banned
Well yeah, obviously.

Platinum Games is an extraordinarily efficient, well-managed studio. The Wonderful 101 could ship tomorrow.

It's Nintendo who's deliberately staggering their release schedule to give the Wii U a bombastic lineup of back-to-back releases post-E3.

You caught then! Their sales arenterrible due to lack of software and they're holding back content for... Some reason...

Daingurse

It's a problem when gamers have whack ass value perception.

Real problem? not really

Eh, I can't really justify spending money on a game if I don't get a good amount of time out of it. If I paid $60 for an 8-10 hour game I'd feel cheated, which is why I no longer buy games at full price. If the game is short or lacks replay value, no way in hell am I paying full retail price. I just don't have enough money for that. If WoW101 has replay value like MGR apparently does, cool.

Neiteio

MGRR was short -- and fun as hell. I'm not concerned about TW101 being a quick game. It looks like a "dense" game with tons of variety per capita, so that's cool with me.

Side note: He could be throwing a red herring to distract from his Okami-style hat trick of "you beat the game -- now here are the two sequels!"

joe2187

Banned
I'm still playing Bayonetta and Revengence since day one. Sad I cant say the same for Anarchy Reigns...still a great game.

Rehynn

Also, I wish this lead to "Revengeance length outrage 2".

Because it'd be awesome if people cared about TW101 as much as MGR.

Given Bayonetta's length (~9 hours + tons of replayability) and Okami's length (~40 hours), I think it's very safe to say that Kamiya will jam-pack the game with enough content to get your $60 worth.

Kamiya didn't work on any of Platinum's other games, so I don't think it's fair to attribute the shortness of games like Madworld to him.

xandaca

I'd be fine with W101 being six to eight hours, what I've played of it was magical but possibly not an easy fit for, say, a ten to fifteen hour game. Much less than six hours would be disappointing (unless the game sucks like MadWorld) unless there are plenty of side missions and challenges or something.

DaBoss

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fuck. Gonna pass on this now. Probably going to be as awful as Vanquish and Revengeance :(.

Shiggy

Better have a great game that is short than a long game that is ultra boring. Was that a hidden jab at the Skyward Sword developers? I'm not paying more than 20€ for games anyway, unless they are really worth it (Super Mario Galaxy).

Effect

As you get older you tend to value the tightly designed super replayable classics more.

Most of the really good games still have a bunch of padding that somewhat kills my desire to replay them, stuff like Rising and Vanquish is GOGOGO all the way and they're all the better for it.

Good philosophy to have when making an action game, all killer no filler!

I agree my time is more limited but that doesn't mean I'm wiling to spend $60 for a short experience. If this is indeed the case here then Kamiya should keep his mouth shut until Nintendo has decided how they want to advertise this game. One of the first details to come out should not be it's possible very short length!

Now even if the game has multiple modes and a nice bit of replayability (what Nintendo likely could want to focus on when talking about the game.) that's overshadowed by this news because it was the first thing officially said. The first impression of the game outside early demos has been impacted negatively.

Top Bottom