• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101: Kamiya "focus on fun, not length..." [Update: Inaba comments]

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Day 1 will depend on when it comes out. If it comes out in the middle of a bunch of other releases like Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3, etc, then it's going to be passed on. That's the main reason I passed o NWS:MW and LEGO City, in favour of Monster Hunter. Even after three months of no releases.

But I don't mind a short campaign if there is value in going through it multiple times and the gameplay is addictive. On the other hand, if one playthrough basically covers everything, then I guess I'll wait for the price to be cut in half.

Daingurse

Oh not this again. The crazies and their value per hour BS.

Haha.

And how many of these 15-20 hour games are there? There aren't many that go above 15 hours.

Oh man that trolling.

What? Please, tons of games have that much value on a first play thru(not sure what you're playing that doesn't), and if they don't I'm not paying $60. Glad you have a lot of disposable income, I don't.

Says the guy who made Okami, a 10 hour game stretched to an artificially-extended, piss-poorly paced 30 laborious hours. I'm glad his philosophy has changed since then.

Uh, it never changed. He also directed Devil May Cry 1 and VJ1 which are pretty short. DMC1 is considered a classic now and it's like 4 hours long.

Okami is the only long game he's done.

JDSN

Banned
Hahaha Kamiya even trolls his own game. I dont mind tho, better than XP points, collection flags padding bullshit that AAA-rgh games have.

Also, does this still has MP?

Blueblur1

I saw Kamiya's tweet over the weekend and it didn't surprise me. I figured a game like 101 would be short. If it has little replay value (high score stuff doesn't do it for me) then it'll be rental material only.

JoeFenix

I agree my time is more limited but that doesn't mean I'm wiling to spend $60 for a short experience. If this is indeed the case here then Kamiya should keep his mouth shut until Nintendo has decided how they want to advertise this game. One of the first details to come out should not be it's possible very short length!

Now even if the game has multiple modes and a nice bit of replayability that's overshadowed by this news because it was the first thing officially said.

I don't look at games as disposable throwaway one and done types of experiences. Keep them around and pop them back in when the mood strikes, I look at the quality of the content on offer more than the length of it personally.

I replayed Vanquish 2-3 weeks ago and every time I pop it back in I instantly fall back in love.

Those games are easily worth 60$ for me.

AGITΩ

I only really care about game length if its an RPG or Action Adventure, but if its an Action Strategy, all I care about levels and difficulty settings.

Soriku

Says the guy who made Okami, a 10 hour game stretched to an artificially-extended, piss-poorly paced 30 laborious hours. I'm glad his philosophy has changed since then.

Umm, no. Okami is awesome and I loved its length. After you beat Orochi there's still a great amount to see and do. Having it be a short adventure adventure would be lame as hell. It's supposed to be a long epic across a big world, not some constrained adventure.

70 hours of awesome I spent on it.

JimboJones

If it has meaningful replay value and reasons to replay then I won't mind.

If it's simply just trying to beat internet leaderboard scores well...i'll just say thats not my idea of replay value.

Darryl

Banned
its funny how he just tells people not to buy a game that someone else is funding, especially since he's probably gonna have 2 games in a row completely flop.

i don't really care about length in this type of game anyways. 7-8 hours is good enough.

dancmc

The more I seen of this game the more its grown on me, come Nintendo give us a release date

came to post this...hey Nintendo/Platinum; how about focusing on a release date!!

"Release window" is one of my new most hated phrases; especially when it isn't accurate to describe when something will release. I was always sure this was going to be out before Pikmin 3; but now; not so sure; especially since this will be perceived to have a similar hook (i.e., controlling little characters on screen in an action based title with boss battles, etc).

Well I personally am okay with this, I think back in the day I beat Lylat Wars (StarFox 64) in about two hours or so but that didn't stop me from replaying it literally for about 100 times if not more :p

Mileena

Banned
All their games are short so this isnt surprising. Also never bought one before bomba price and that won't be changing with TW101

Ridley327

All their games are short so this isnt surprising. Also never bought one before bomba price and that won't be changing with TW101
I suspect you'll be waiting quite some time before this hits the bomba bins, with Nintendo publishing and them not risking overshipments like their later Wii games.

ant1532

Banned
i could care less, but I already see the press tearing it a new one because of it's length if it is really short (5 hours or less)

XenoRaven

Star Fox 64 lasts... 30 minutes? 1 hour? And it's awesome. If this is as fun as SF64 I'm in.
No way man. I'd rather collect flags in Assassin's Creed for 30 hours. Length apparently equals value regardless of how mind-numbingly fucking mundane the gameplay is.

geebee

Banned
Good for him. I still don't get it when gamers bitch about how short some games are. As long as the gameplay is fun, the replay value should be high and the experience will be memorable. I think the industry is too used to long-winded narratives. People forget that they are playing videogames and expect some 10+ hour long movie.

Top Bottom