• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stonehearth Kickstarter by the Shoryuken.com founders [Complete; ~$800K funded]

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1590639245/stonehearth?ref=card
Official site: http://stonehearth.net/

Info:
Stonehearth is a game about exploration and survival in an epic fantasy setting. Your job is to help a small group of settlers survive and carve out a place for themselves in a hostile land. You’ll need to establish a food supply, build shelter, defend your people, and find a way to grow and expand, facing challenges at every step.

Build your city brick by brick or use pre-fab templates and grow your economy, while fending off hordes of monsters and amassing wealth (and then hope your piles of gold don't attract an epic dragon attack!).

Starting from procedurally generated terrain with dynamic AI encounters, Stonehearth combines city sim and good old combat with infinite building possibilities. It’s built to be moddable at every level, from your city, to the people and creatures inhabiting the world, and will ship with the tools and documentation for you to add your own customizations to the game, and share them with friends.

The game is equal parts Sandbox, Real Time Strategy, and RPG.
It will initially ship on PC, but we are leaving the door open for Mac and Linux releases down the road.
This kickstarter is to fund the single player version of the game. We would love to add cooperative multiplayer and PvP modes as well, and these will appear as stretch goals.

farm.jpg

city.jpg

Stretch Goals Funded!

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Voxel Cthulhu!

Majesty kingdom sim, minecraft, voxatron / cube world, 3d dot game heroes... good stuff.

Game looks really interesting, though I'll have to watch the video when I get home. Really tempted to throw down $30 on this though, love the premise and what I heard one of the Cannon bros. (Tom, I wanna say?) talk about on UltrachenTV.

iavi

Really, really charming style here. Hopefully it plays as well as it looks.

edit: Watching a video, it looks like AoE x 3D dot game heroes. Really interested in this one.

VXLbeast

Thanks for all the support, guys. We're going to try to knock it out of the park for you!

Threw in $15. Definitely liking the ideas behind it, and agree with others on catching a 3D Dot Game Heroe's vibe. Good luck with your campaign mate.

This looks great! I made a thread a while back, lamenting the lack of open world RTS games. This is right up my alley this is. I would have preferred a more "realistic look" but that is a stylistic preference on my part. The graphics do look good! As others said, reminds me of 3D Dot Heroes.

Guys who live and breathe fighting games...making an RTS management sim hybrid.

Stranger things have happened in the past, I suppose.

whyman

This looks great! I made a thread a while back, lamenting the lack of open world RTS games. This is right up my alley this is. I would have preferred a more "realistic look" but that is a stylistic preference on my part. The graphics do look good! As others said, reminds me of 3D Dot Heroes.

Yes i agree. I backed both Godus and Castle Story, both cool games but this is what i really want.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Dunno how you go from creating GGPO to this.

Will keep an eye on though.

kevm3

Thank God for kickstarter and PC and people actually creating games other than shooters and other generic "AAA" games.

Burt

Stonehearth? Really? What's next, CraftWar?

Other than that, the project looks cool :)

I think you play a little too much WoW if that's your first response to the name.

I'm pretty sick of voxel graphics, but they actually do it well in this game. Really like the softer look here. Hope they get funded.

Ravidrath

Looks pretty awesome, and these guys know their stuff.

Haven't backed yet, but will soon - deciding if I just want the game or a boss monster named after me.

Giolon

Wow. Kickstarter sort of makes me roll my eyes these days, but this looks like it could be pretty cool to me.

El Sloth

Banned
Ponder, do you think you could go into more detail what a hypothetical co-op or pvp modes, assuming you hit your stretch goals, would play like?

Looks pretty awesome, and these guys know their stuff.

Haven't backed yet, but will soon - deciding if I just want the game or a boss monster named after me.
Please request a giant troll that destroys all your crops at night. Dream crushing optional.

El Sloth

Banned
I'm thinking more like a shiny, pretty thing that lures your settlers out into the field and then reveals itself to be a monster, devouring them.
Sea monster that uses a very familiar looking fish girl lure (that is actually one of its appendages) to draw unsuspecting sailors and naive travelers to an untimely demise beneath the salty depths.

The siren call of Ravidrath.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
I think you play a little too much WoW if that's your first response to the name.

In all fairness, I'm not that much of a WoW player - I was just pointing out how curious it is to see this name a month after Blizzard announced Hearthstone.

Alec

This looks...really cool. And the rewards are genuinely neat.

Backed for $50 (gotta get dem vanity companions).

Ponder

Neo Member
Ponder, do you think you could go into more detail what a hypothetical co-op or pvp modes, assuming you hit your stretch goals, would play like?

Sure.

For co-op, we expect each game to be "hosted" in some way and letting other people log in. In our wildest dreams, we would host your game on our servers (perhaps for a modest fee to cover hosting costs), but we want you to be able to host your own game on your computer if you want, or buy the server yourself. When you get a bunch of people in game, they would all have joint-control over your city, all working toward growing it. Maybe as the game owner you can give out certain controls (e.g. your girlfriend can build anything, anywhere, but your scumbag, mooching cousin can only build in this area, using these resources). So it's like a bunch of people all helping to play the same game.

I don't really consider this "co-op", but there's also the idea of integrating your social network into the game via resource sharing and assists. For example, I should be able to send you 100 wood and 100 stone to get you started. Or if there's a goblin camp that's threatening you, maybe you can invite my band of high-level adventurers into your game to clear them out for you. Again, this really works well with the hosted service (how do I invite you into my game if my computer is off? hmm.).

For PvP, the model we're most excited about is an asynchronous model where people can invade a copy of your city. For example, if you've built the most bad-ass, defensive structure with traps, deadfalls, and dragons guarding a treasure box in the middle, I should be able to download that map and play the role of the invader trying to get at it. We could have leader boards were people could rate maps (according to challenge level, enjoyment factor, etc.) and success rate (e.g. 85% of people who try to invade this keep have failed) to make it easy to find the really awesome maps. This is really where moddabilty can shine, IMO, since people can create these maps with all sorts of unique challenges (e.g. a Game of Thrones or LotR map) complete with their own little plot lines or magic items unique to them.

There's another mode of PvP where we would essentially take your map and the other guys map and stitch them together. Sort of lifting your city up and putting it down right next to theirs. That would play out like an RTS game (like Starcraft) resuming right from the middle after the build-up stage. I think this would be completely awesome, but is a stretch. If I were playing with a lot of custom mods and you were playing with an entirely different set of mods, we somehow have to combine the mods together, which might be really difficult. We're thinking of ways of how to accomplish this, but it might not be technically feasible, at least not at the outset.

These are all just ideas. One of the reasons we're doing the Kickstarter so far in advance of the beta is so we can see what ideas most resonate with people and work on making those a reality. We really want to engage the community up-front to make sure they love the game as much as we do on release.

RM8

As has been mentioned, this looks very 3D Dot Game Heroes. Not in a bad way, though! I'm loving the look of this and it sounds like a fun game, it has my attention.

For co-op, we expect each game to be "hosted" in some way and letting other people log in. In our wildest dreams, we would host your game on our servers (perhaps for a modest fee to cover hosting costs), but we want you to be able to host your own game on your computer if you want, or buy the server yourself. When you get a bunch of people in game, they would all have joint-control over your city, all working toward growing it. Maybe as the game owner you can give out certain controls (e.g. your girlfriend can build anything, anywhere, but your scumbag, mooching cousin can only build in this area, using these resources). So it's like a bunch of people all helping to play the same game.

I don't really consider this "co-op", but there's also the idea of integrating your social network into the game via resource sharing and assists. For example, I should be able to send you 100 wood and 100 stone to get you started. Or if there's a goblin camp that's threatening you, maybe you can invite my band of high-level adventurers into your game to clear them out for you. Again, this really works well with the hosted service (how do I invite you into my game if my computer is off? hmm.).

Your version of co-op sounds fantastic and I really hope you stick to that vision. Minecraft had a good idea when it came to cooperative building, but sometimes the amount of work required for you and a couple friends to build something meaningful meant that it would never get done. Doing that in an RTS style setting would be awesome.

Backed the project and can't wait for the beta!

El Sloth

Banned
Sure.

For PvP, the model we're most excited about is an asynchronous model where people can invade a copy of your city. For example, if you've built the most bad-ass, defensive structure with traps, deadfalls, and dragons guarding a treasure box in the middle, I should be able to download that map and play the role of the invader trying to get at it. We could have leader boards were people could rate maps (according to challenge level, enjoyment factor, etc.) and success rate (e.g. 85% of people who try to invade this keep have failed) to make it easy to find the really awesome maps. This is really where moddabilty can shine, IMO, since people can create these maps with all sorts of unique challenges (e.g. a Game of Thrones or LotR map) complete with their own little plot lines or magic items unique to them.

There's another mode of PvP where we would essentially take your map and the other guys map and stitch them together. Sort of lifting your city up and putting it down right next to theirs. That would play out like an RTS game (like Starcraft) resuming right from the middle after the build-up stage. I think this would be completely awesome, but is a stretch. If I were playing with a lot of custom mods and you were playing with an entirely different set of mods, we somehow have to combine the mods together, which might be really difficult. We're thinking of ways of how to accomplish this, but it might not be technically feasible, at least not at the outset.

These are all just ideas. One of the reasons we're doing the Kickstarter so far in advance of the beta is so we can see what ideas most resonate with people and work on making those a reality. We really want to engage the community up-front to make sure they love the game as much as we do on release.
Thanks for the detailed response!

Your idea of downloadable maps sounds like a really cool way of adding some extra challenge to the game. It would be interesting to see what sort of atypical maps people could make with alternative goals than just a straight invasion vs. fortress, i.e. a map that's more of an obstacle course concerned with how quickly you can make it to it's end.

A question about co-op: could people branch out and start their own miniature settlements? For example, you're on a shared server between friends where all your different settlements are in the same world competing for resources and making alliances to screw one of your other friends over. That'd be pretty sweet.

Good luck reaching your stretch goals!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Well, considering Blizzard is working on a game called Hearthstone, I wouldn't be surprised if people got confused. That would be really unfortunate, though, as this looks really cool.

Burt

In all fairness, I'm not that much of a WoW player - I was just pointing out how curious it is to see this name a month after Blizzard announced Hearthstone.
Ah, point taken. I completely forgot that they announced a game called Hearthstone, and now your post makes much more sense. You win this one!

I thought you were just referring to the actual in-game item, based on my WoW experience from like 5 years ago. Shows how up to date I am.

Top Bottom