• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stonehearth Kickstarter by the Shoryuken.com founders [Complete; ~$800K funded]

zulfate

I am a huge anno fan does this game have a economy system similar to anno? I cant go to kickstarter on my phone for some reason.

syko de4d

For modder with Beta Access:

My Question: Modding sounds awesome, can we already start modding with the Beta?

The Answer
Yes, modding support will be there right from the start of the beta. It's so baked into the game that honestly it would be hard to turn it off. The fancy editors will be a little immature, but if you don't mind rolling up your sleeves and writing some LUA and JSON, you'll be able to write mods yourself from day 1.

edit: wow, Kickstarter is over 60k now, made 10k in 2hours :D

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Crowdsourced AI development should lead to some amazing things. E.G.: Orc civ that builds its own cities in specific styles.

Edit: it's a lot like RPG maker in a way. Hope they have a good licensing arrangement around mods of the game.

Beckx

edit: wow, Kickstarter is over 60k now, made 10k in 2hours :D

yeah, there was a kickstarter-wide problem with Amazon payments, no one could donate for a while. Right around the time the Kotaku article came out. After that was over, Gabe from PA tweeted that he backed it, so hopefully the combination of today's press & public exposure will see this really take off.

-----------

People waiting for Paypal should check out the Skullgirls thread to see how Paypal treated Lab Zero - freezing the cash for weeks, causing problems with paying staff. They finally released it (but not all of it). Obviously choose Paypal if that's the best way to actually pay, but if you're doing it for political reasons (hating how kickstarter can be used like the guy on page 1), maybe think about how the alternative option can actually screw over the team.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
https://twitter.com/cwgabriel/status/329402356431212545

cwgabriel ‏@cwgabriel I just backed this cool looking game on KS : http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1590639245/stonehearth?ref=card

megaton

Tom Cannon ‏@ProtomCannon
@cwgabriel Thx! I would give you my first son, but he's kinda cute and you have one already, so....maybe we can schedule a play date.

lol

Looks great but they need to lose the name. Makes me think of that awful Warcraft thing.

Yeah, I agree. It's taking away from an otherwise really classy development. I nearly mistyped it a couple times already.

r1chard

People waiting for Paypal should check out the Skullgirls thread to see how Paypal treated Lab Zero - freezing the cash for weeks, causing problems with paying staff. They finally released it (but not all of it). Obviously choose Paypal if that's the best way to actually pay, but if you're doing it for political reasons (hating how kickstarter can be used like the guy on page 1), maybe think about how the alternative option can actually screw over the team.

This. Paypal regularly screws people over. Screw 'em if there's an option.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Mm, looks like this gained quite a bit of traction.

Backing for kitten tier.

syko de4d

first stretch goals, which will be all reached for sure ;)

image-250293-full.jpg

gillty

Banned
Because of the confusion with the added limited edition $25 buddy tier (two copies of the final game), everyone above $25 (aka the $30 beta tier) will be receiving an additional final retail key for a friend.

Radiant Entertainment about 4 hours ago said:
@DJC @Nick @nic Since there's some confusion, we're going to make all the upper tiers $30 and up include the $25 rewards as well. Everyone at $30 and up will get two copies of the game on release (on their platform of choice if we hit our new Mac and Linux port stretch goal!) Thanks!

Radiant Entertainment about 4 hours ago said:
@EmilAFN The $25 tier gets you two copies of the game at release. The $30 tier gets you one entry into of the beta, plus two copies of the game at release.

I kinda feel sorry for the Cannon bros. on this one, but commendable customer service imo.

syko de4d

Because of the confusion with the added limited edition $25 buddy tier (two copies of the final game), everyone above $25 (aka the $30 beta tier) will be receiving an additional final retail key for a friend.

I kinda feel sorry for the Cannon bros. on this one, but commendable customer service imo.

Oh man i hope i will get this with the paypal option too :O
30$ for Beta + 2 Keys are a No Brainer

Ravidrath

This. Paypal regularly screws people over. Screw 'em if there's an option.

I'm going to suggest the Humble Bundle store to Tony when things get further along. We're using them to distribute our digital goods and will be using them for Slacker Backer stuff, too.

They take Paypal, Amazon, etc. and would protect them from any Paypal shenanigans like we dealt with.

clockpunk

Just wished to weigh in on the onomastic discussion, and say that I rather like the name as-is. That, and the erant pumpkins in the screenshots won me over. Backed. :D

Nelo Ice

Banned

Can't tell if it's good or bad that now everyone $30 and up will get 2 copies. Awesome CS though. Also just upgraded to $30 tier before I read this lol.

IpKaiFung

There's gonna be a developer stream on Monday!

Hi guys,

This is Tom. As a special thank you for backing us, I'll be doing a live stream this coming Monday at 2:00 PM Pacific time. During the stream I'll show you how I model things, and will take the mammoth pet from a static model to a fully animated game character!
We'll be streaming our our newly created Twitch.tv channel: http://www.twitch.tv/radiantentertainment (it looks horrible right now, but will look much better come Monday!)

Great concept and they are building a great rapport with the backers.

syko de4d

Rabbit CLan is done :)

Here are new infos about how many betas/release version everyone gets

Explanation of the Buddy Tier Rewards

There have been a lot of questions about how the buddy tiers work. The intent behind those tiers is to let you get another copy of the game at a discounted price so you can play with a friend. Here's a chart explaining exactly what you get for each pledge amount.

e905b6c3e62d69bc5460631c8701c86a_large.png

So basically, once you get to the Settler tier, you gain entry to the early-access beta. To get both copies into the beta you'll need to upgrade to the Settler Buddy Backer tier at $45, which is a discount over double backing at the $30 Settler tier.

Any beta copy is entitled to the kitten or puppy rewards for that tier. For $45 pledges both game copies get their choice of puppy or kitten, and for $50+ pledges both game copies get both the puppy and the kitten.
Maybe could be added in the OP, 2 release and one beta for 30$ are really great ;)

Beckx

Yes! My dream of a module with Echo and the Bunnymen greeting the players with song is a reality!

Considering upgrading to $45 for 2 beta access keys.

soakrates

Yes! My dream of a module with Echo and the Bunnymen greeting the players with song is a reality!

Considering upgrading to $45 for 2 beta access keys.
This got me thinking. How awesome would it be if there was some kind music composer a la Mario Paint that players could use to make greetings and such?

On second thought, that could get annoying rather quickly.

Beckx

Stretch goals updated! 400K is the goal for co-op. Seems achievable based on where we are now. (Based on the graphic in the update, there will be more interim goals between 300 and 400K.)

Many thanks to everyone who wrote and commented to tell us which features they most wanted to see as stretch goals! Since we heard a lot about multiplayer, both co-op and PvP, we've spent the last few days figuring out how we wanted to build it and what we would need to make it awesome. We've also heard a lot about building, simulations, and classes, so there's a bit of that in these stretch goals too.

Here's a little description of each current stretch goal, and there's a graphic at the bottom to show what we need to realize it for everyone:

Mammoth Bonanza - 140k: (Success!) All backers at the $15 level and higher will receive a cuddly baby Mammoth pet!

Friendly Faction: Rabbit Clan - 160k: (Achieved!) An ancient race of honorable, subterranean lagomorphs. Your potential allies.

Glacier Biome - 180k: Snowy, icy lands with unique building mechanics for igloos and frost forts!

Mac and Linux Port - 200k: Retail release of the game for both Mac & Linux.

Pirates, Ninjas and Politicians - 220k: Your wealthy, thriving communities will draw the attention of the dread Order of Applied Equivocation. Unlike the straightforward aggression of goblins and trolls, these new enemies will cheat, kidnap, and blackmail their way into your citizen’s homes... and coffers.

A secret panel in the dead merchant’s desk reveals a cheerful crest chased with the following motto: The OAE: Backstabbing You for Our Better Tomorrow.

New Class: Animal Trainer - 240k: Tame wild animals and train up their young to work and fight by your side. Optimize food, building, and resource production through careful breeding and rigorous conditioning.

“Extra fine, I get. Extra fluffy? Sure, keeps the kids warm in the winter. Even the natural saffron yellow, I managed, though it took three generations and the weavers complained it came out more chartreuse than goldenrod. But steel wool? Who’s ever heard of a sheep growing metal outta’ its skin?” Devin Baaspeak stared dolefully at his herd. They stared dolefully back. “Crafters,” he sighed. “Time to get to work, guys.”

New Class: Magma Smith - 260k: Harness the earth’s most destructive material to incinerate invaders and raise towering walls of black glass.

“Lad, I once saw a man bend fire and earth into a new continent for his people. The least you can do is dig your ma her new flowerbed.”

Dragon Whelp Bonanza - 280k: All backers at the $15 level and higher will receive a hyperactive baby dragon pet. Warning: may take centuries to mature.

“What, the egg? The kid found it in the stream bed yesterday. It’s small enough. What’s the harm?”

Player vs. Player City Raids - 300k: Select a party of adventurers to storm a copy of another player’s city and bring home their treasures. Leaderboards will rank and track the deadliest fighters and most impenetrable fortresses.

“Stormloft47 has demolished 208 raiding parties.”

Co-op Multiplayer - 400k: Share a living world with your friends and family! Build sprawling empires of towns, cities and castles, and unite in mutual defense against the towering threat of ancient titans.

“When the shadow fell over the valley the ground trembled, but our hearts did not. For no matter what happened between this breath and the next, we knew we stood with our brothers and sisters, together in this world... and the next, and next, and next.”

Really hope this gets $400k, this game would be great with a co-op multiplayer, and the potential/future online multiplayer is definitely a big part of why I'm backing.

Naito

Coop has to be in or my hype for Stonehearth will significantly lower..!
I can see playing this with my friends as the next Minecraft.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Oooh, this game looks really cool. It's got all the gameplay features that make me wet. Makes me want to be...generous...heh. Will fund.

Please don't shatter my dreams :p

Top Bottom