• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

celebi23

kQCnPOM.png

jsWjnQC.png

ixuvYAactYI1T.png

• Web Site: http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/
  • Where: Moscone West - San Franciso California
  • Dates: June 10th thru June 14th, 2013
  • Events: Keynote, Apple Design Awards, Workshops, Stump the Experts, WWDC Bash, Lunchtime Speakers
  • Purpose: Apple held conference to provide developers and IT professionals with in-depth technical information and hands-on learning about the powerful technologies in iOS and Mac OS X.

rMh5Aw6.jpg

irSIKbCxd5iv2.png

iFPr2Ddr7YfCb.png

Text/Photos
(If you find other live blogs, please feel free to post the urls)

isYdnKIS5SsZa.png

A video of the keynote will be made available on Apple's Web site hours after the event has ended. The places that you can watch the video (again a few hours after the keynote has ended):

WWDC App:

i2oYgqmXQn4lz.png

iNW8ME5ZsFZQI.png

ibt1HyVxjfKp4U.png

it0W8qJVj7NmI.png

• Will be updated after the keynote has finished

Special thanks to Andrex for the header images!

WDFW5ng.png

Rootbeer

Banned
Hope iOS 7 is something special, Apple really needs to get people excited about the platform again before android completely devours everything. Apple has all the money they could ever need... hope they've been putting that cash to good use.

giga

Hopefully they kill the desktop in 10.9 and stick the iPad ui on top instead. Power users and novices would both welcome this.

NekoFever

Me too. Mountain Lion is a buggy piece of shit and I want something better. The iOS integration crap does not inspire confidence. =\
Far better than Lion for me. I think it's a solid successor to Snow Leopard, a few ugly design choices aside.

My 2010 MBP is feeling a bit old. If the new retinas deliver, I might jump in.

Interested to see what Apple has to offer in new laptops as well. I have a 2010 Air and it works well for most of my needs, but would consider jumping to a Retina Pro if the performance is where I want it.

Yeah, I'm very curious about 10.9 and whether the iOS 7 visual overhaul will extend to it or not (I doubt it).

Totally gonna beta test both of them, though, even though I'm scared of the early state iOS 7 will be in based on what I've heard from friends at Apple HQ.

Futureman

I'm still on Lion. I hope they still let you upgrade for 2 versions back (currently, if you are on 10.6, you can upgrade to 10.8). I'm also excited to see if they give it a fresh coat of paint, OS X hasn't really changed much over the past few years.

iOS should be interesting, but I'm doubtful they can lure me from Android. Guess we'll see.

Phoenix

The platform stands upon the edge of a knife. Delay key features but a little, and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while the innovation is true.

This will be the most critical WWDC for Apple.

Futureman

Yeah, I'm very curious about 10.9 and whether the iOS 7 visual overhaul will extend to it or not (I doubt it).

hmm, not sure why you doubt it. I think it's an absolute shoe in that they will continue to blur the lines between the two... and it's been said Ives is heading the visual design of both, so it will be unified.

Here's a question... who presents the iOS section with Forstall gone?

Could be:

- Cook: Usually does only the opening/closing sections
- Schiller: Does Mac hardware.
- Hair Force One: Only done OS X before. Does he do iOS also?
- Ive: Never been lIve on stage that I can recall

Could be:

I think Ive doesnt like public speaking

Majine

Banned
Ive has spoken on a keynote, about the unibody macbooks. He was pretty dry as a speaker. It'll prolly be Schiller.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber

Could be:

Hair Force with a video or maybe brief on stage Ive moment. HFO is in charge of iOS, it's his thing now, so he'll be there to talk about all the non-visual advancements for sure.

Hair Force with a video or maybe brief on stage Ive moment. HFO is in charge of iOS, it's his thing now, so he'll be there to talk about all the non-visual advancements for sure.

They've usually switched out presenters for a new topic in recent years, but Federighi doing both makes the most sense.

LCfiner

I'm betting Schiller does iOS software and HFO will do Mac OS. Ive's changes won't be huge enough to warrant him getting up there.

HFO could so iOS but I suspect they'll want Schiller up there for longer simply because he has more experience.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
They've usually switched out presenters for a new topic in recent years, but Federighi doing both makes the most sense.

Yeah it will be Craig heavy if he does both, but I can't imagine any other way unless they shake it up somehow. That said I'm not expecting too much 10.9 stuff. Some features, maybe a date but it'll be rushed by. The delays due to moving people to iOS rumors have me a bit pessimistic.

GWX

Apple doesn't refer to its operating system as "Mac OS X" anymore, OP. The official name is now just OS X. Also, the wait for this and the E3 is killing me... Monday, come soon!

goomba

Banned
my 2010 macbook was stolen the other day during a sleeper bus trip to siem reap.

looking at the laptop/ultrabook/hybrid/whateverbook market it seems that Since Jobs died apple has become stagnant and are falling behind. why no touchscreen macbooks ? maybe no more apples for me.

my 2010 macbook was stolen the other day during a sleeper bus trip to siem reap.

looking at the laptop/ultrabook/hybrid/whateverbook market it seems that Since Jobs died apple has become stagnant and are falling behind. why no touchscreen macbooks ? maybe no more apples for me.

Really? If anything, the MacBook Air is the Apple product that consistently improves the most from one release to the next.

drspeedy

The iOS integration crap does not inspire confidence. =\

I have a feeling you (and many others) are not going to like what Apple is announcing. Might be wrong, but the recent Windows8 OS is pretty much a guarantee of this.

We already know it won't look like iOS 6. Even Tim Cook at the D conference said it won't.

It's not all that different to most folks... removing drop shadow and glossy overlays doesn't seem new anymore. I'd love some additional swipe interactions, though. As a former BB user, that's the #1 thing BB10 got right, they're stunning.

goomba

Banned
Really? If anything, the MacBook Air is the Apple product that consistently improves the most from one release to the next.

yeah but the design hasnt changed since jobs died in 2010 has it ? Main thing for me is I dont want a tablet and a laptop , so an ultrabook with touch or
a hybrid seems the next step for me ( unless maybe we see a macbook pro touch

Majine

Banned

Well, you should know that Steve Jobs pointed out once that laptops with touch screen is ergonomically terrible.

Burger

What would you do with it? Drag windows around with your finger?

There is no use case.

Majine

Banned
no i
didnt know he said that but
i dont see the problem, i do know that typing on a touch screen is worse.
Eh, I don't think so, but it's beside the point. You're asking for something Apple wouldn't do, Jobs era and Post-Jobs era.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Even taking into account that Jobs often hated stuff until he didn't, I can't find any reason to point and grab at my laptop screen, especially with a more precise touchpad that works great in the UI.

Look at MS' trouble in adapting their OS to touch. If Apple wanted a touch-screen on MBs, they would go through the same problems. You can't just add touch capability without overhauling the UI.

And I don't want to run iOS apps on my Mac.

Top Bottom