• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

GWX

I wonder what big cat Apple will use for 10.9. There's only Clouded Leopard left, and I can't see they coming back to the Leopard name. Puma and Cougar are, well, Mountain Lion. Discuss, as this is the most important thing about the new system :lol

numble

They just announced Deus Ex: The Fall exclusive to iPhone/iPad, I wonder if it will show up at the keynote:

deusexthefall-ios-04.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K1Klo-X46E

GAF meltdowns:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=577181

subrock

Hope iOS 7 is something special, Apple really needs to get people excited about the platform again before android completely devours everything. Apple has all the money they could ever need... hope they've been putting that cash to good use.
Wow, you haven't been following apple long have you?

iOS7 won't live up to the hype. Apple really doesn't need to do anything special. They already take most of the smartphone market profits. The only people that think they need new bells and whistles to stave off death are tech journalist and the people that follow them.

Couldn't even care less about iOS anymore.

Super excited for OS X stuff though. Seems like forever since there was anything really notable on the Mac side.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Wow, you haven't been following apple long have you?

iOS7 won't live up to the hype. Apple really doesn't need to do anything special. They already take most of the smartphone market profits. The only people that think they need new bells and whistles to stave off death are tech journalist and the people that follow them.

Eh, they do make huge changes sometimes. OS9 -> OSX was an incredible leap.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Couldn't even care less about iOS anymore.

Super excited for OS X stuff though. Seems like forever since there was anything really notable on the Mac side.

Same. Fine with iOS mostly. I REALLY loved the OSX gestures added in Mountain Lion last year though, almost made me fall in love with Mac again.

Dying to see what the new 13" MBP retina line is. Definitely gonna update as my 2010 model is on the fritz.

Chris R

Can't wait to see the specs on the new macbooks, my 11 13" is old and could be replaced :D

Also wondering what is going to be the big thing with ios 7, no big leaks from what I've seen so far.

LCfiner

Eh, they do make huge changes sometimes. OS9 -> OSX was an incredible leap.

that was a leap of desperation. They're not in that position now and do not need to make radical changes to "catch up". If anything, the simplicity and obviousness of iOS is a benefit for a big segment of users. (We can look at user satisfaction surveys and mobile web usage numbers and app sales number to back that up a bit)

Yes, iOS is more locked down than Android but it's not built on super old tech the way OS classic was when OS X came out. Apple is not in a position where they need to re-invent the OS or die.

DarkJC

Not to mention the leap was fraught with bugs and lots of missing functionality that was slowly added back into the system over the course of many yearly releases. OS X 10.0 was pretty rough.

There's only so much you can do in a year, especially with a management shakeup midway through.

numble

I look forward to seeing what they give us. Man, if they can get t 13" Retina down to the same weight as the Air (Right now it's about a pound heavier) it would be amazing. Then again, why even keep the Air around? Except for price I guess. I'd love a slimmer lighter 13" Retina.

Replying here to avoid bumping the old WWDC thread.

Sony just launched new VAIO MBA competitors and they're about 0.4-0.6 lbs lighter than the MBA versions, so there definitely is still a lot of room for weight reduction on the MBA end. I don't know if they needed to sacrifice anything to get to those lower weights, though.

border

Has Apple ever explained why they refuse to do live video streams of their press conferences and keynotes?

LCfiner

Has Apple ever explained why they refuse to do live video streams of their press conferences and keynotes?

nope, never explained. they've had live streaming occasionally, but it's a last minute announcement. no idea if they'll do it this year.

NotBacon

I expect some major design changes and maybe a few new features, but it won't be enough to catch up to google in the mobile department.

I also expect more proprietary/overpriced goods, and more of "magical"/"perfect"/"just works" in Tim's soft voice.

Will they show retina iPad mini?

No. If they were doing that, we'd already have reports of iPad mini shortages, Apple Store employees being told they can't block out a certain week for vacation, et cetera.

It's pretty clear at this point that the annual September(ish) event is the place where iPods, iPhones, and iPads all get updated and is likely where that'll continue to happen for the foreseeable future. It carries with it too many advantages for the holiday season and for iOS development to do things otherwise.

HOWEVER, it also leaves a pretty big gap in the rest of the year when there are no new iOS devices and no new Intel processor upgrades to bring about new Macs, which has a lot to do with the creeping negative press Apple has been getting.

Cheech

God, why did this have to happen at the exact same time as the Xbox keynote? What are the odds?

I'm buying a new iPad tonight FFS. I want to see what OS it's going to be running in a few months. But the Xbox keynote has far more long term impact.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

dkeane

God, why did this have to happen at the exact same time as the Xbox keynote? What are the odds?

I'm buying a new iPad tonight FFS. I want to see what OS it's going to be running in a few months. But the Xbox keynote has far more long term impact.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
You can listen to the xbone conference and read an Apple keynote blog. Problem SOLVED.

Cheech

You can listen to the xbone conference and read an Apple keynote blog. Problem SOLVED.

No, I want to watch all the sweet games, people waggling out in front of Kinect 2.0, and that smarmy MF Don Mattrick unintentionally hamming it up.

I'll just catch up on the Apple conf after the fact. Really, I'm not expecting much more than a bullet point of new iOS 7 features, and HOPEFULLY a new 802.11ac Airport Extreme. Mine is like 5 years old, ancient, and the range is for shit. I desperately need to upgrade it.

No. If they were doing that, we'd already have reports of iPad mini shortages, Apple Store employees being told they can't block out a certain week for vacation, et cetera.

It's pretty clear at this point that the annual September(ish) event is the place where iPods, iPhones, and iPads all get updated and is likely where that'll continue to happen for the foreseeable future. It carries with it too many advantages for the holiday season and for iOS development to do things otherwise.

HOWEVER, it also leaves a pretty big gap in the rest of the year when there are no new iOS devices and no new Intel processor upgrades to bring about new Macs, which has a lot to do with the creeping negative press Apple has been getting.

Im heart broken! I sold my nexus 7 in preparation. Meh, maybe ill just buy the mini now and try to get a good deal on one.

Very excited! I believe the keynote is at 10AM Pacific time so I will be up bright and early to watch!

During last years keynote in October, the event was live streamed to Apple TV's so I wonder if Apple will do the same for WWDC? Regardless, I'll be having GAF, The Verge, and a few other sites to see the live blog and potential meltdowns!

numble

Very excited! I believe the keynote is at 10AM Pacific time so I will be up bright and early to watch!

During last years keynote in October, the event was live streamed to Apple TV's so I wonder if Apple will do the same for WWDC? Regardless, I'll be having GAF, The Verge, and a few other sites to see the live blog and potential meltdowns!
I have a feeling GAF will crash. Maybe The Verge too, which has had traffic issues with big events in the past.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So it won't broadcast live. Good. Then I don't have to worry about taking off work that day.

Hopefully it'll be slow enough that I can check on the liveblogs as it happens, or just wait until it's over to get all the information at once. Then again hopefully it's busy so the day goes by fast.

Top Bottom