• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
not a chance.
But WHY? It would only need to update the icon every 2 hours. The clock would need every minute and I still want it to be live time. It's really stupid that they don't do that yet while the calendar has been updating since day one. It's inconsistent.

I suspect that, apart from perhaps a slight de-Forstallization of Notes/Reminders/Contacts/Calendar, OS X isn't going to join in with iOS 7's unified aesthetic just yet.

derder

My bet is on touch integration on laptops as a way to unify the two.
Honestly, after one day of the lenovo yoga, it became so intuitive that I smudged my screen at work.

giga

2013-06-06_23-07-01-QuickShot%202013.06.06%20at%2014.03.23.jpg
It is a mystery.

LCfiner

pretty extensive listing there.

The biggest question mark for me will be the iRadio service (if it's revealed). Curious what the implementation details will be. Will Apple bundle it up in an app or seamlessly buildit into the current Music iOS app and iTunes? Will it scan your existing library and then build Genius stations?

I'm a little old fashioned in that I still like to buy albums and wouldn't want to replace that with streaming. BUT, I always liked the philosophy of the Zune music store and playback design, which made discovering new music easier. So I'd like to see that with this service - especially since Apple is likely to roll this out to Canada and other countries much more quickly than the competition.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Motherfucker. Just read that new MBP's likely pushed to release at a later date while Air's may launch after event keynote.

Was hoping to update my ailing MBP on Monday...damn.

So I'm reading about this AirDrop thing, and I wonder if that's similar to the "WiFi Direct" stuff that Microsoft has been talking about with the Xbox One (at least, on the hardware side)

Kevin Rose on the new Random Show talks about some iOS7 info he got from a reputable source. He's usually pretty accurate and has some good connections for stuff like this.

He's shit for predictions.

He confirmed the iPhone in December 2006 with the following (one month before it was released, mind you):
- January launch on "all" providers, both CDMA and GSM
- Extremely small form factor
- Two battery design (with single charger) -- one for playing music, the other for phone functions
- Flash memory: 4GB for $249, 8GB for $449
- "Slide-out keyboard"
- Possibly touchscreen
http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/03/kevin-rose-confirms-iphone/

He then claimed the iPhone 3G would have video chat and a front-facing camera (which didn't even happen until the iPhone 4—two gens down the line): http://appleinsider.com/articles/08/03/24/rumor_digg_founder_claims_3g_iphone_to_do_video_chat.html

He was wrong about the iPad 2 (the only part he got right was the front/back camera, which were already rumored pretty heavily and we may have even had cases with the cutouts):
I have it on good authority that Apple will be announcing the iPad 2 in the next “3-4 weeks”, possibly Tuesday February 1st. The iPad 2 will feature a retina display and front/back cameras.
http://www.cultofmac.com/76344/digg-co-founder-kevin-rose-retina-display-ipad-2-in-next-few-weeks/

And that's all I care to dig up right now.

hirokazu

I don't know where he got the info on the first iPhone, but it is conceivable that he's sources had spoken to him about what was being worked on for the later devices but it was mistakenly attributed to the next model.

That said, yeah, in terms of what's actually coming next, his track record is a bit shaky and there's probably better sources to rely on.

Interesting list and it really looks like iOS 7 for the iPad is coming later. While it sucks, I still don't see anything interesting or revolutionary being done. Apple's own apps just aren't crucial enough on the iPad to be excited about any redesigns.

That'd be pretty disappointing. The iPad needs a UI redesign much more than the iPhone does, IMO. So much wasted space on the lock screen and spotlight screen, and so much wasted potential with the too-small notification center and app switcher.

That'd be pretty disappointing. The iPad needs a UI redesign much more than the iPhone does, IMO. So much wasted space on the lock screen and spotlight screen, and so much wasted potential with the too-small notification center and app switcher.

Indeed.

What I don't want is for Apple to simply change the appearance of iOS but leave it fundamentally the same. And if they just do that, hopefully the technology writers will see through it.

Sony is signed on for iRadio. Should be interesting to see how that will function.

Personally I think Apple will offer iRadio for free, and simply offer links to buy the music through iTunes. I really can't see them going the subscription route, it's not their style.

Indeed.

What I don't want is for Apple to simply change the appearance of iOS but leave it fundamentally the same. And if they just do that, hopefully the technology writers will see through it.

Personally I think Apple will offer iRadio for free, and simply offer links to buy the music through iTunes. I really can't see them going the subscription route, it's not their style.

Hopefully it'll be ad-free for iTunes Match users, though (and mix your own songs in with the ones you don't own).

And yeah, as much as Corinthian leather on an LCD irritates the hell out of me, I'd much rather see Apple change nothing about the UI/UX but add much better document handling/cross-app communication (and other new APIs) than drastically revamp the UI but add little to no functionality.

sangreal

I imagine it will be free as well, but I disagree that subscription services are "not their style". They even already have a subscription-based streaming music locker service, so a subscription-based streaming music radio service doesn't seem so far fetched. That said, most of the competition is free

mf.luder

Just entered my head. If you subscribe to iTunes Match, iRadio has no ads. No match, you get ads.

I didn't actually think this through, just saw a post while I was on the road.

I was really hoping Apple was finally gonna buckle down and offer some kind of improved customization for the home screen. Widgets, moving icons anywhere on the screen, changing tile sizes, etc. They're sadly so obsessed with their iconography that they don't wanna waste it on letting people do what they want with the phones.

Hell even live tiles would be a natural next step. I'm not saying that iOS should emulate Android OS by any means, but they should at least be motivated enough to match most of its feature-set.

giga

I was really hoping Apple was finally gonna buckle down and offer some kind of improved customization for the home screen. Widgets, moving icons anywhere on the screen, changing tile sizes, etc. They're sadly so obsessed with their iconography that they don't wanna waste it on letting people do what they want with the phones.

Hell even live tiles would be a natural next step. I'm not saying that iOS should emulate Android OS by any means, but they should at least be motivated enough to match most of its feature-set.
Yeah what a disappointing event. This year's keynote was so boring. Hopefully wwdc 2014 is better.

Yeah what a disappointing event. This year's keynote was so boring. Hopefully wwdc 2014 is better.

At least it wasn't as bad as Microsoft's E3 conference. God, I can't believe they brought some fucking kids back to "play" Kinect games.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Wow, a horizontally scrolling page that's not even bound to the mouse wheel, all to talk about Microsoft's evolving design ethos.

This, RIGHT HERE, is why no one likes you, MS. You have no fucking taste.

First thing that stood out to me. So awful. Nowhere to click with your mouse either if you want to proceed. You have to either have a track pad to scroll right, or drag the scroll bar on the bottom... which only appears (on Chrome at least) once you already start scrolling.... or I guess browse that site on a tablet

Awful.

Those cubical areas also look like the indoor glass cages at the zoo that contain snakes and other little animals.. lol

Top Bottom