• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

jstripes

Banned
I think the extremely light font in the new logos simply refers to streamlining and trimming of fat from the respective OS'. For instance dropping all the skeuomorphic graphics resources and optimizing features to work right across both platforms. At least I hope. I love how integrated iOS and OS X are now but they really need some work. There's still silly inconsistencies and problems.

There's graphic inconsistencies within the OSes themselves.

Each release would have a new icon themes, for example, but it wouldn't be applied to everything. So OS X and iOS ended up with a whole jumble of icons.

Remember how Lion had those icons, like for Launchpad, that were shiny brushed-metal circles?

He's hoping Jony had the guts to hunt down every errant icon and update it to a system-wide theme.

Look at this clusterfuck of styles:

overview_bucket_features.jpg

Safari needs a new icon
Don't be shit like iTunes/App Store

And, to clarify, I'd *rather* have those big updates somewhat staggered. Concentrate everything on iOS now as far as revamping UX design, then concentrate everything on OS X.

corn_fest

Heh, I really hope it's not Sea Lion. There've been enough Lion names by now :x
Plus, that would likely point to this being another minor, "tock" release to Lion, like the previous "modified cat" names - Snow Leopard & Mountain Lion. Which... might be the case, based on the underwhelming rumors regarding 10.9.
But I'm holding out hope for a more substantial release.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I expect 10.9 to be Lion Part III.
Same. :/ they said awhile back that all updates will be yearly and minor ala mountain loon and snow leopard.
Eventually they will run out of names. They'll probably switch to a different way of naming them from now on. I'm imagining just numbers. What's going to be interested is next year when we get 10.10. Then 10.11 and 10.12. Maybe they could switch to Windows' old way of naming. Mac OS '13, Mac OS 2014...

Lennington

Neo Member
We are looking at a significant Apple rebrand here fellas.

- New typeface
- geometric patterns
- multicolour gradients in letters
- full bleed nature/science photography with reversed text
- coloured squircle patterns
- possible new naming convention

Sounds like a lot of the stuff that's been posted to Tumblr over the past few years. Or Swiss design(!)

Either way tech blogs will find some way of saying it's 'flat'.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Me too, actually :D Just renewed my OS X & iOS developer accounts :D

Just iOS developer account for me.

It sounds like OS X is probably close to done so don't wanna spend £60 for nothing.

At least with iOS I get to use it three or four months early. Warts and all.

Maximus.

Im curious to see how the design change for iOS translates to OSX. I hope that OSX gets a significant visual overhaul, though I doubt it. Regardless, I am hyped as fuck for both OS previews and I am loving the visual change they are showing so far!

Just iOS developer account for me.

It sounds like OS X is probably close to done so don't wanna spend £60 for nothing.

At least with iOS I get to use it three or four months early. Warts and all.
Are you starting a list yet? I wanna get my iPhone 5 and my iPad 2 on there! :3

Here's hoping for Mac OS X Version 10.9 Sea Lion.

I do like the new font quite a bit. I look forward to seeing the Mac OS changes on Monday, and then contemplating how this will affect my job for the year to come.

Ah, the convenient escape goat.

Also heard that he went to visit Steve Jobs' grave and then proceeded to kick him in the nuts.

Escape goat?

If you're the head of a division that underperforms, you are exactly the person to blame. That hardly makes you a scapegoat.

mrkgoo

Here's hoping for Mac OS X Version 10.9 Sea Lion.

I do like the new font quite a bit. I look forward to seeing the Mac OS changes on Monday, and then contemplating how this will affect my job for the year to come.
Ha ha, I loled.

Bloated and fat.

Also lol at 'escape goat'. The mental image amuses me.

Anyway, maybe it's going to be non-cat. Like OS X Ocean.

As in 'ocean of possibilities', powerful, epic etc.

jts

...hate me...
Escape goat?

If you're the head of a division that underperforms, you are exactly the person to blame. That hardly makes you a scapegoat.
iOS underperforms? Really?

That's besides the point though. You can't just blame on the guy the sole responsibility for every single wrong thing at Apple. There is chrome or some variation of it down to the OSX logo, and... the Apple logo itself in one of its most common representations.

He didn't seem to have much of a taste and also I tend to believe that he might have gone out of his way after Jobs death, helped by an inflated ego massaged by some press etc. Apple is probably better off without him for now. But he did gave his very important contribution for Apple's and the iPhone's success. I just find it a bit ungrateful to use his mug as the answer for "why this bad?" as if everything from now on will be just perfect.

reblog if u cry alwaz

That's besides the point though. You can't just blame on the guy the sole responsibility for every single wrong thing at Apple. There is chrome or some variation of it down to the OSX logo, and... the Apple logo itself in one of its most common representations.

He didn't seem to have much of a taste and also I tend to believe that he might have gone out of his way after Jobs death, helped by an inflated ego massaged by some press etc. Apple is probably better off without him for now. But he did gave his very important contribution for Apple's and the iPhone's success. I just find it a bit ungrateful to use his mug as the answer for "why this bad?" as if everything from now on will be just perfect.

reblog if u cry alwaz
That's how Vice Presidents of departments work. Everything goes through that person. That's why he's rightly blamed.

I agree with you that he was an important contributor, and his stubbornness in the early stages of making iOS built a solid ground for the OS to improve. When it came time to improve it though, he didn't want to do shit. iOS 6 was mostly a dud.

reblog if u cry alwaz

He didn't have much of a taste?

Like Liu Kang said, he was in charge. You get paid a ton of money when you're in charge because you're that guy whose picture people hold up when shit goes wrong. No one owes gratitude to Scott Forstall or anyone else who's doing a job they get paid to do.

jts

...hate me...
He didn't have much of a taste?

Like Liu Kang said, he was in charge. You get paid a ton of money when you're in charge because you're that guy whose picture people hold up when shit goes wrong. No one owes gratitude to Scott Forstall or anyone else who's doing a job they get paid to do.
There's also people in charge that put him in charge. Shouldn't they be to blame as well? Where does this madness end?

I'm being facetious of course. And yes I agree with Liu Kang, iOS 6 was weak, map crisis cannot excuse.

But not being grateful shouldn't necessarily equate to turning one of the biggest achievers in the tech world into a running gag.

Top Bottom