• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
wwdc-2013-flat-ios7.jpg

Better version.

My developer account is ready.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Just out of curiosity, do you guys think the next desktop OS will be OS 11, or OS 10.10? I am assuming they will be saving the 11 moniker for when they do another huge overhaul of the OS, just wondering when you guys think that will be?

DarkJC

If you look at the marketing text for the iPhone 5 it's a much thinner font face then they've used in the past as well. Seems like a trend for their new stuff.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Just out of curiosity, do you guys think the next desktop OS will be OS 11, or OS 10.10? I am assuming they will be saving the 11 moniker for when they do another huge overhaul of the OS, just wondering when you guys think that will be?
People like saying "OS X" too much to bring out "OS X-Eye". OS X is a brand now and won't change for a while. If anything, the next big overhauled OS for Macs will probably be called iOS.

Chittagong

Gold Member
see:

The two core iOS fonts are HelveticaNeue and HelveticaNeue-Bold, this is superthin version.

It's not. It's Avenir Ultra Light, which signals a pretty huge branding change for Apple

Avenir Ultra Light

P00033454.gif

Helvetica Ultra Light

HelveticaNeueUltraLight.gif

Avenir is geometric while Helvetica is grotesque. Observe the stem of number 9.

My bet is that this is a design megaton of WWDC - Apple will begin to use Avenir in both marketing and UI, retiring Myriad (marketing) and Helvetica (UI). This would signal a big unification of design principles. You read it here first!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
It's not. It's Avenir Ultra Light, which signals a pretty huge branding change for Apple

Avenir Ultra Light

P00033454.gif

Helvetica Ultra Light

HelveticaNeueUltraLight.gif

Avenir is geometric while Helvetica is grotesque. Observe the stem of number 9.

My bet is that this is a design megaton of WWDC - Apple will begin to use Avenir in both marketing and UI, retiring Myriad (marketing) and Helvetica (UI). This would signal a big unification of design principles. You read it here first!
Hmm, why use a different font for the 7 and the 10.9?

NekoFever

It'll be 10.10. Version numbers aren't decimals. Unless they use the opportunity to overhaul it completely somehow. Merge OS X and iOS into Apple OS or something.

Interesting that it's 10.9 and not "OS X [Big Cat]"
Maybe they want to keep the cat name under wraps until they announce it. Everyone knows that 10.9 is coming so they can talk about that without giving away anything.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
They currently use two different fonts for marketing and UI anyways. Read above.
But aren't both of those marketing?
Edit: by which I mean if they were planning on switching to one font across UI and marketing then why use two fonts here?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Hmm, why use a different font for the 7 and the 10.9?

You are right - what an odd choice for a 7. It might be that they have developed a new proprietary typeface that has taken influence from Avenir. That new light font seems to be across the board. The other mobile companies have their own fonts too now.

Menelaus

Banned
You are right - what an odd choice for a 7. It might be that they have developed a new proprietary typeface that has taken influence from Avenir. That new light font seems to be across the board. The other mobile companies have their own fonts too now.

Roboto Light is king.

Chittagong

Gold Member
We are looking at a significant Apple rebrand here fellas.

- New typeface
- geometric patterns
- multicolour gradients in letters
- full bleed nature/science photography with reversed text
- coloured squircle patterns
- possible new naming convention

jstripes

Banned
Looks like Ive has finally stepped out from under Jobs' shadow.

Thank god those stupid shiny, glossy, metallic, and plastic gradients are gone. And the whole cat branding, with the end game being the cat's face in a circle, was getting out of hand.

(In most areas Jobs had great taste, but in some he was kinda tacky.)

Oh, and dots are the new "pinstripes".

This is why font snobs exist! :p Thanks Chittagong. Definitely could be marketing only but would be an interesting change if they applied that OS-wide.

EDIT: Fake 10.9 banner? Damn, I guess we have finally reached the WWDC corner. Expecting at least 10 news posts claiming iPad 5 launch on monday.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Sorry, Microsoft. But I really really really don't like any of your design choices. They keep getting worse and worse. I love flat design, but yours is just terrible. I also would prefer Android's flat design over yours, but even they have some elements I don't like.

Those billboard sign thingies really have my hyped though. I am hoping for a unification in design style across both platforms and a lot of really cool changes. If 10.9 really is close to release, I might actually install it right away and use it until it comes out. But I probably won't participate in the iOS Beta.

Regarding the above: Yeah, the 10.9 banner looks fake. But the X one is probably real definitely. Still cannot wait for Monday. I am actually off that day! Against all odds
Phil Collins
I somehow got that day off.

Menelaus

Banned
I was discussing this over in the Galaxy S4 thread, but I recently changed my Android fonts from Roboto to Roboto Light. It's really amazing how something as simple as just using a lighter typeface can make a product instantly feel more elegant and bleeding edge.

I really hope Apple uses Ultra Light for iOS. I doubt it would work on the OSX devices, due to pixel density.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I wonder who at Apple championed those word art style chrome letters Apple used until now for OSX and iOS logos?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think the extremely light font in the new logos simply refers to streamlining and trimming of fat from the respective OS'. For instance dropping all the skeuomorphic graphics resources and optimizing features to work right across both platforms. At least I hope. I love how integrated iOS and OS X are now but they really need some work. There's still silly inconsistencies and problems.

Top Bottom