• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cowen: Microsoft, Sony unlikely to clarify used games policies at E3

Microsoft and Sony are unlikely to share any details of their policies for used games on the new Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles at E3 next week, instead focusing purely on video game content.

That's the opinion of Cowen & Company's Doug Creutz, who said that both companies have a lot to prove at the annual games show, as they continue to feel the pressure with increased competition from mobile and PC gaming.

"For Sony, the challenge is how to differentiate the PS4 from what Microsoft is offering, given how badly the PS3 has lagged the 360 in Western markets"

It's expected that Microsoft and Sony will charge consumers who buy games second hand to access the content, ensuring the hardware manufacturers and the publishers receive a cut of used games sales.

However, Microsoft's message has been mixed, while Sony has stayed relatively quiet on the subject. While consumers and the press have pushed Microsoft, and to a lesser degree Sony, to lay out their plans, both have been reluctant, leaving many to assume costs to activate second hand games will be high.

GamesIndustry International has been told by Microsoft that it will not be offering press any time with senior executives to discuss the Xbox One business during E3, suggesting it wants to focus purely on games experiences.

"We doubt either Microsoft or Sony will address pricing for current- or next-gen consoles at E3, though we do think there is a chance that Nintendo could announce a (badly needed, in our opinion) price cut for the Wii U in an attempt to steal some thunder," Creutz told investors.

"We also don't expect to hear any official word on what the used-game policy will be on next-gen consoles."

Microsoft's imperative at E3 will be to prove the Xbox One as a video game console, after a big reveal last month that focused on TV, sports and entertainment. Sony's needs to show consumers - particularly in the US - that it has a machine capable of standing shoulder-to-shoulder with Microsoft in terms of games, and differentiate the PlayStation 4 in terms of variety of content and services.

"For Microsoft, the key will be to strongly reach out to the core gamer audience given that its early messaging has been more focused on the Xbox One's capabilities as an all-around media device," said Creutz.

"While we believe a mass market strategy is the correct approach for the long term, Microsoft still needs the gamer crowd to show up on launch day to ensure it keeps the positive momentum it has gained through the latter years of the 360's life cycle.

He added: "For Sony, the challenge is how to differentiate the PlayStation 4 from what Microsoft is offering, given how badly the PS3 has lagged the 360 in Western markets."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-sony-unlikely-to-clarify-used-games-policies

Acheteedo

I think that's a huge mistake for Microsoft, the negative cloud surrounding them will only be allowed to dissipate once the facts are known.

Makes sense. They're trying to sell their games and console. Why give out any potentially bad news when you don't have to.

of course they wont.
And if they did, you can bet your fucking ass it wont be during the presentations that 99% of the people will be watching.

kurahador

Considering this thing is on publishers.

Sony openly admits not doing it would make themselves less preferable platform among third party.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
GamesIndustry International has been told by Microsoft that it will not be offering press any time with senior executives to discuss the Xbox One business during E3, suggesting it wants to focus purely on games experiences.

No roundtable as per yesterday's news, or no one-on-ones either?

Leonsito

Sony has been pretty smart with their silence, better this than having Phil Harrison talking about everything, everyday.

Stuart444

If the media asks and they give no information, then it's more or less silent confirmation. I doubt they would be able to escape bad PR if they choose to stay silent on the issue

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Microsoft most definitely will not.
Sony, may not because Microsoft will not.

This is the situation with pricing/used games.

It certainly gives Nintendo an opportunity to announce a Wii U price drop. Yes people will be excited for the PS4/Xbox One but they won't be available for another 4/5 months.

bidguy

Banned
both ms and sony are going to implement drm its just a matter of who makes it consumer friendly and who doesnt.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Didn't Sony officially state that they will leave the decision to publishers?

The end results might be the same, though...

In the end, Sony is a business, and they certainly won't stay in the way of publisher demands (or their own interesst in having a share of the second market), as long as they can pull it off without too much negative press.

Deku Tree

Expected. Except that Sony already did pretty much clarify their used games policy. I love how MS jumps into a huge anti-consumer dung pile, and all of a sudden the mainstream media consistently lumps Sony into the same basket with no legitimate justification for it.

boyshine

(...) given how badly the PS3 has lagged the 360 in Western markets.
What? Are "western markets" just USA now? 360 has been practically dead the last two years in most of Europe.

Feorax

I disagree, i think at least one will put all their cards on the table at E3.

They want people excited about this box, they want people putting down pre-orders, what they don't want is people sitting on the fence waiting for these issues to be clarified.

I expect Sony probably has most, if not all the answers by now, whether we like it or not, so I very much expect them to go for it. Prolonging the FUD surrounding these consoles is in no-ones best interests.

Mr Swine

Banned
So what's stopping MS and Sony for not announcing used games policies at the release of the next gen consoles so that people are already out to buy it with all the games and the hype will drown the negative stuff

Guymelef

"For Sony, the challenge is how to differentiate the PS4 from what Microsoft is offering, given how badly the PS3 has lagged the 360 in Western markets"

So now Europe is an Eastern market...

daxgame

He added: "For Sony, the challenge is how to differentiate the PlayStation 4 from what Microsoft is offering, given how badly the PS3 has lagged the 360 in Western markets."

... seriously? And I thought Europe was a western market!

I get the going that Sony will go down the same or a very similar road to Microsoft. The lack of any denial is deafening. :-

Feorax

That surely would imply every publisher will follow suit? If a mechanism is in place for both the Xbox One and PS4, why wouldn't they use it?

Same reason musicians trying to gain a following put their songs up on bittorrent and other filesharing platforms.

Especially in the case of new IP, exposure is everything, and they will want as many people to play the game as possible. Be intersting when some more high profile publishers figure this out.

Top Bottom