• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has more best-sellers on PlayStation Store than Sony does

midnightAI

MLB isn't on PC. And Switch games only the past two games. In 2021, it was the first multiplat game (Xbox).

The 4M players is player count. Not sales. A big portion of that will be Gamepass.

The 2M I referenced was the last stated sales Wiki had (which was a reference footnote number leading to an article saying 2M). And that year (2021) was when the first Xbox port came out. The link leads to this article. The 1M I referenced is the typical PS console sales per year from the Wiki link.

• MLB® The Show™ 21 from San Diego Studio is the fastest-selling title in franchise history with more than 2 million copies* sold across all platforms. The game has reached more than 4 million players since releasing on April 16, 2021
You just confirmed what I said (except didn't realise it wasn't on PC or Switch for 2021). The increase to 2 million sold is not much to do with XBox, practically zero sales on XBox due to it being on Gamepass. So that 2 million sold figure is mainly from PS (and 2 million extra played on Gamepass). Again, 2 million sales a year for a full price game from mainly one market is not bad at all.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You just confirmed what I said (except didn't realise it wasn't on PC or Switch for 2021). The increase to 2 million sold is not much to do with XBox, practically zero sales on XBox due to it being on Gamepass. So that 2 million sold figure is mainly from PS (and 2 million extra played on Gamepass). Again, 2 million sales a year for a full price game from mainly one market is not bad at all.
2021 will be something like this if Sony split out the 4M players, as per April 16, 2021.

1M sales PS
1M sales Xbox
2M Gamepass

MLB only sells about 1M copies per year on PS consoles. They arent suddenly going to jump to 2M, while claiming Xbox sales are "practically zero"

Last edited:

XXL

You've highlighted the crux of the problem plenty of times. Xbox leadership is lacking. That's another thing that people continue to deny. Ironic that some are pointing to "loyalism" as the reason for PlayStation's success when "loyalism" to Xbox management has contributed significantly to the brand's failing.
Bro Bromance GIF

Nydius

Late to the thread and I'm sure it's already been said ad nauseum already but these numbers are why I just roll my eyes at the Xbox diehards who still insist that other Xbox exclusives will "never" move to PlayStation. If ancient ass Sea of Thieves can generate this much interest and sales, imagine the amount of people who would jump on board with Halo Infinite multiplayer or Forza Horizon (not so much Motorsport, due to Gran Turismo). Starfield and Indiana Jones coming to PlayStation is inevitable. I suspect Halo and Gears will end up there eventually too.

Cutting out a platform that has nearly 3 times as many units is leaving too much money on the table.

Microsoft and Sony are at war.

"The past was alterable. The past never had been altered. Xbox was at war with PlayStation. Xbox had always been at war with PlayStation."

Late to the thread and I'm sure it's already been said ad nauseum already but these numbers are why I just roll my eyes at the Xbox diehards who still insist that other Xbox exclusives will "never" move to PlayStation. If ancient ass Sea of Thieves can generate this much interest and sales, imagine the amount of people who would jump on board with Halo Infinite multiplayer or Forza Horizon (not so much Motorsport, due to Gran Turismo). Starfield and Indiana Jones coming to PlayStation is inevitable. I suspect Halo and Gears will end up there eventually too.

Cutting out a platform that has nearly 3 times as many units is leaving too much money on the table.

"The past was alterable. The past never had been altered. Xbox was at war with PlayStation. Xbox had always been at war with PlayStation."

The die hards as you put it, are part of the problem . A lot of them are obnoxious and dishonest. As a fan myself I despise a number of them because they have bigged up and defended mediocrity over the years and look at where it’s got us.

I don’t like PlayStation zealots either but one thing I will say about them from personal experience is at least some will call out crap and mediocrity .

midnightAI

2021 will be something like this if Sony split out the 4M players, as per April 16, 2021.

1M sales PS
1M sales Xbox
2M Gamepass

MLB only sells about 1M copies per year on PS consoles. They arent suddenly going to jump to 2M, while claiming Xbox sales are "practically zero"

You actually believe that MLB sold just as many on Xbox as PS even though its on gamepass?

I Love You Hbo GIF by SuccessionHBO

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

1M sales PS
1M sales Xbox
2M Gamepass

You don't believe this. Stop it man! You're a man that understands numbers.....

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You actually believe that MLB sold just as many on Xbox as PS even though its on gamepass?

I Love You Hbo GIF by SuccessionHBO
You don't believe this. Stop it man! You're a man that understands numbers.....
You guys prove to me what the numbers are then.

- The series trends to only about 1M copies sold on PS consoles for 20 years straight
- Sony announces a month after MLB 2021 comes out it sold 2M copies across multiple platforms (which includes only Xbox as that's the year it ported over. There's no Switch or PC sales)
- At the same time, they also say total players is 4M

BlackTron

- The series trends to only about 1M copies sold on PS consoles for 20 years straight
- Sony announces a month after MLB 2021 comes out it sold 2M copies across multiple platforms (which includes only Xbox as that's the year it ported over. There's no Switch or PC sales)

Whatever the breakdown is, I doubt more than 20% of Xbox players bought the game, and even that may be generous

Three

MLB 2019 broke the record for best selling baseball game in US history. Later in 2019 they offered it on PS+. Then MLB the show 2020 did even better sales than 2019. It was doing better than you think. It wasn't doing just 1M copies in those 2 years.

midnightAI

PS5 was released just 6 months earlier so benefits from both PS4 and PS5 sales. It was at the top of the digital sales charts on PS4 and PS5 for April and remained in the top 10 on PS5 through May, June and July.

We know, fact, that Gamepass cannibalises XBox game sales, it's the whole point of this thread and why XBox is selling games on Playstation in the first place, they just aren't getting major sales of any game when it's available on Gamepass also.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Whatever the breakdown is, I doubt more than 20% of Xbox players bought the game, and even that may be generous
If 1M Xbox sales = 20%, there's more than 5M Xbox gamers. It was also released on Xbox One
MLB 2019 broke the record for best selling baseball game in US history. Later in 2019 they offered it on PS+. Then MLB the show 2020 did even better sales than 2019. It was doing better than you think. It wasn't doing just 1M copies in those 2 years.

PS5 was released just 6 months earlier so benefits from both PS4 and PS5 sales. It was at the top of the digital sales charts on PS4 and PS5 for April and remained in the top 10 on PS5 through May, June and July.

We know, fact, that Gamepass cannibalises XBox game sales, it's the whole point of this thread and why XBox is selling games on Playstation in the first place, they just aren't getting major sales of any game when it's available on Gamepass also.
Maybe. But where's the numbers?

Are you intentionally being dense, or does it just come naturally?
Look at it this way; if your belief is right then Sega should stay around indefinitely as hardware developer despite losses, and Xbox would never have existed.

You want Competition? You let the loser fail. Let someone else have a try. Xbox should not be left around just to make you feel better, Xbox is a zombie hardware division, no longer offering any real competition. Let Amazon, or Radio Shack, or even Apple to take a crack. You don't keep Xbox indefinitely like some preserved corpse.

Who is dense here? Were you even alive when Xbox as a division was created? They only get to exist because Sega left the hardware market. The loser go home, that is the business rule.

Humdinger

Look at it this way; if your belief is right then Sega should stay around indefinitely as hardware developer despite losses, and Xbox would never have existed.

You want Competition? You let the loser fail. Let someone else have a try. Xbox should not be left around just to make you feel better, Xbox is a zombie hardware division, no longer offering any real competition. Let Amazon, or Radio Shack, or even Apple to take a crack. You don't keep Xbox indefinitely like some preserved corpse.

Who is dense here? Were you even alive when Xbox as a division was created? They only get to exist because Sega left the hardware market. The loser go home, that is the business rule.

I have better things to do with my time than engage you and try to disentangle your misunderstandings. Go back and reread for context, then maybe we can talk. Until then, go away. :messenger_winking:

I have better things to do with my time than engage you and try to disentangle your misunderstandings. Go back and reread for context, then maybe we can talk. Until then, go away. :messenger_winking:
You talk about the disaster of Xbox abandoning you to Sony's evils. I say Xbox already failed to keep Sony in check for being so ineffective.

Let someone else have a shot. Xbox is no longer effective in keeping ANYONE in check. That is how business works, losers go home and get replaced. I don't mind an Amazon Console, for example.

mckmas8808

The sales ratio is NEVER 50-50 for Xbox and PS5. You know this. It's probably 1.7m PS5, 500k Xbox, 100k Nintendo

oycrmu3.png

H5iY5Ta.gif

Phil Spencer´s plan finally paid off...
HGxt0pN.gif

It's so over bois, and I didn't see it coming.

I was thinking about it...and yes, it seems inevitable that PS is going multiplatform as well. The big question is whether PlayStation can execute this plan without destroying its console business. It's time to seriously reflect by my words and deeds...

Humdinger

You talk about the disaster of Xbox abandoning you to Sony's evils.

lol. smh.

Good god, take your console warrior goggles off. Not everything is about Xbox vs. Playstation. You are spending your energy arguing against a strawman, something I never said. If you would have done what I suggested and read for context, you would have realized that. But no, you're too proud for that, too intent on being "right." Well, congratulations, console warrior, you have defeated the strawman enemy! Huzzah.

Sigh. I guess I'll have to explain. I was having a discussion with mckmas about what the 1% of people who think this (MS's move to multiplat) is a bad idea -- whether it's 1%, what those people might be thinking. I said some of them are hardcore loyalist fanboys. Then I added that some of them might be worried about the re-emergence of "arrogant Sony." That's not something I'm particularly worried about, but I can see where they are coming from. I think it's a legitimate concern. That doesn't mean I think it will happen. But it seems reasonable to be concerned that it might.

I was saying, I think those people might be among the 1% or whatever percentage who think this is a bad thing, not a good thing. I am not among that percentage. I think this is a good thing. I've said that several times.

I am a PS-only guy and have been for two generations, but you console warriors are insufferable. It's like the only language you speak, and everything gets seen/heard through that filter.

Last edited:
lol. smh.

Good god, take your console warrior goggles off. Not everything is about Xbox vs. Playstation. You are spending your energy arguing against a strawman, something I never said. If you would have done what I suggested and read for context, you would have realized that. But no, you're too proud for that, too intent on being "right." Well, congratulations, console warrior, you have defeated the strawman enemy! Huzzah.

Sigh. I guess I'll have to explain. I was having a discussion with mckmas about what the 1% of people who think this (MS's move to multiplat) is a bad idea -- whether it's 1%, what those people might be thinking. I said some of them are hardcore loyalist fanboys. Then I added that some of them might be worried about the re-emergence of "arrogant Sony." That's not something I'm particularly worried about, but I can see where they are coming from. I think it's a legitimate concern. That doesn't mean I think it will happen. But it seems reasonable to be concerned that it might.

I was saying, I think those people might be among the 1% or whatever percentage who think this is a bad thing, not a good thing. I am not among that percentage. I think this is a good thing. I've said that several times.

I am a PS-only guy and have been for two generations, but you console warriors are insufferable. It's like the only language you speak, and everything gets seen/heard through that filter.
I don't even own a PlayStation.

I watch the console war fight for decades and see what it is. Trying to protect Xbox gets us nowhere, a dying brand is a dying brand and should get off stage so someone else can replace them. Sony might not even be able to have a PlayStation if Sega struggle on. Old consoles need to die so new consoles can replace them as BETTER COMPLETION.
Xbox has failed as first party and time to let someone else have a go. They are not keeping PlayStation in check AT ALL.

demigod

1M sales PS
1M sales Xbox
2M Gamepass

Hahaha, get the fuck outta here with that bullshit numbers. No way on earth did MLB sold 1 million copies on xbox. Put the crack pipe down.

BlackTron

lol. smh.

You keep insisting that this poor guy didn't read or understand what you said, but you seem to be in excruciating pain exactly because he did.

ReBurn

Gold Member
QADimcN.jpeg

willing things to existence, they will never stop
If there were a game that Sony should be releasing on every platform they can it's this one. You don't want to limit the reach of online multiplayer live service games like this one. If player count starts falling off then opening it up to more players could make sense.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
lol. smh.

I’m shocked that this thread hasn’t had a shit ton of bans for console warring. These little kids keep us from having an educated conversation.

Microsoft having strong sales with good games is nothing but good for the industry. I hope Sea of Thieves sells a record number of titles and Rare gets funding for a lot of new projects.

You know what’s funny? This is the first gen that I do not own a Sony console, for now. Not only because I don’t play video games enough, but because I don’t like the direction Sony has gone with their 1st party. There’s nothing that really interests me, and what does, is also on PC.

Outside of Nintendo, the industry is in a dark place. Microsoft’s folks are incompetent and Sony barely tries, meanwhile there’s morons who defend these corporations. I wonder if perhaps they’re shareholders pretending to be video game people on NeoGAF?

If there were a game that Sony should be releasing on every platform they can it's this one. You don't want to limit the reach of online multiplayer live service games like this one. If player count starts falling off then opening it up to more players could make sense.
well, maybe they will fuck around and find out

Humdinger

You keep insisting that this poor guy didn't read or understand what you said, but you seem to be in excruciating pain exactly because he did.

Excruciating pain, lol. Admittedly, I exaggerated when I said "insufferable." A more accurate description would be annoyed.

And no, he did not read what I said. Neither did you. Or else you did, and it just went in one ear and out the other.

Whatever. I should've listened to Mark Twain.

I don't even own a PlayStation.

I watch the console war fight for decades and see what it is. Trying to protect Xbox gets us nowhere, a dying brand is a dying brand and should get off stage so someone else can replace them. Sony might not even be able to have a PlayStation if Sega struggle on. Old consoles need to die so new consoles can replace them as BETTER COMPLETION.
Xbox has failed as first party and time to let someone else have a go. They are not keeping PlayStation in check AT ALL.

Oh, ok, so you just hate MS/Xbox. My mistake. I assumed you were a rabid Sony fanboy.

I hope I've made clear that I didn't say what you think I was saying. I said it was understandable that some of those 1% -- the few who think MS becoming multiplat is a bad thing, not a good thing -- might be worried that Sony could become "arrogant" again if MS departs the hardware space. I still think that. That could certainly be one reason why someone could think this is a bad thing.

But just because I can understand a position doesn't mean I hold that position or agree with that position. You can understand a position without agreeing with it. I wasn't "trying to protect Xbox." I was speculating about the reasons why the 1% might not want MS to go in this direction.

If you think those concerns are entirely baseless, that's fine. As I said, it's not a position I hold. I'm not interested in arguing with you about it. It's not something I'm particularly concerned about.

I'm in the 99%. As I said several times, I think this is a good thing for both MS and Sony. I'm happy about it.

Anyhow. Enough energy wasted on this.

I’m shocked that this thread hasn’t had a shit ton of bans for console warring. These little kids keep us from having an educated conversation.

Yeah, it can be annoying. It does make conversation difficult, because neutral, objective observations get interpreted as "for" one side or "against" another. I think Heisenberg had a similar reaction earlier.

I like GAF's very loose moderation, though. I don't want people banned for console warrioring. It's part of the landscape. *shrug*

Last edited:

BlackTron

Excruciating pain, lol. Admittedly, I exaggerated when I said "insufferable." A more accurate description would be annoyed.

And no, he did not read what I said. Neither did you. Or else you did, and it just went in one ear and out the other.

Whatever. I should've listened to Mark Twain.

I read your whole exchange, he did read what you said and responded directly to it.

I said it was understandable that some of those 1% -- the few who think MS becoming multiplat is a bad thing, not a good thing -- might be worried that Sony could become "arrogant" again if MS departs the hardware space. I still think that. That could certainly be one reason why someone could think this is a bad thing.

Yes, your post said that you felt that 1% had a legitimate concern. In other words, you were saying that you agree with the position. You reconfirmed this above by saying I still think that. "One reason why someone could think this is a bad thing is this thing I just said that I believe...

You were replied to specifically about this belief and now you are acting as if some sort of communication failure happened on someone else's part.

But just because I can understand a position doesn't mean I hold that position or agree with that position. You can understand a position without agreeing with it. I wasn't "trying to protect Xbox." I was speculating about the reasons why the 1% might not want MS to go in this direction.

If you think those concerns are entirely baseless, that's fine. As I said, it's not a position I hold. I'm not interested in arguing with you about it. It's not something I'm particularly concerned about.

I'm in the 99%. As I said several times, I think this is a good thing for both MS and Sony. I'm happy about it.

Anyhow. Enough energy wasted on this.
So you have to be either contradicting yourself, or the communication failure was yours. Maybe reread your own posts?
Yeah, it can be annoying. It does make conversation difficult, because neutral, objective observations get interpreted as "for" one side or "against" another. I think Heisenberg had a similar reaction earlier.

I like GAF's very loose moderation, though. I don't want people banned for console warrioring. It's part of the landscape. *shrug*

Clearly you are so far above mere peasant console war discourse. We are nowhere near your level

Humdinger

I read your whole exchange, he did read what you said and responded directly to it.

Yes, your post said that you felt that 1% had a legitimate concern. In other words, you were saying that you agree with the position. You reconfirmed this above by saying I still think that. "One reason why someone could think this is a bad thing is this thing I just said that I believe...

You were replied to specifically about this belief and now you are acting as if some sort of communication failure happened on someone else's part.

So you have to be either contradicting yourself, or the communication failure was yours. Maybe reread your own posts?

Clearly you are so far above mere peasant console war discourse. We are nowhere near your level

Yeah, it's a legitimate concern -- in the sense that I can understand it, I can see the reasoning and the warrant for that concern. That doesn't mean I share that concern. That's part of what you aren't getting. Just because I can understand a concern doesn't mean I share it. For example (this is a loose analogy, so don't get too fussy about it), I understand why women are worried about getting jumped when they walk at night. That is a legitimate concern. It is not my concern, though. I don't worry about walking down the street at night. But I can see why women might. Even if their concerns are exaggerated, I get why they might feel that way.

It's a similar thing here. I'm not concerned about Sony becoming arrogant if they have a monopoly on high-end videogame hardware. Maybe they will become "arrogant Sony" again, and maybe they won't. I don't know. Neither do you.

Whether they do or don't, the point is, I don't care. It's not something that concerns me. If they don't, great. If they do, no big deal. I am not that big a consumer, I'm not that invested in Sony, I have plenty of disposable income, there is always PC, etc. So I don't particularly care. However, I can understand why other people, in other circumstances (e.g., more dedicated to Sony, less disposable income, bigger consumers of PS games) could be concerned about that. I don't share their concern, but I get it. I can see the reasons.

By the way, this whole mess is a sideshow anyhow. Our disagreement started when he came at me like a dick, saying, "I don't know what you're on about," re. Sony going woke. When I pointed out "what I was on about" (i.e., evidence of Sony going woke), he just changed subjects rather than acknowledging it. Figures. So now we've hopped tracks and are going round in circles about this nonsense, as if it's the central issue. But it wasn't even what started the disagreement. He changed subjects when I contradicted him. I'm guessing you didn't notice that.

Anyway, I've spent enough time on you knuckleheads. I've explained myself twice, or is it three times? Whatever it is, it's too much. I'm going to go eat some lunch. Bacon calls. I'm done here.

Well, you got that part right at least. ;)

Last edited:

BlackTron

Yeah, it's a legitimate concern -- in the sense that I can understand it, I can see the reasoning and the warrant for that concern. That doesn't mean I share that concern. That's the point you guys aren't grasping. Just because I can understand that someone has a concern doesn't mean I am worried about that myself. I understand why women are worried about getting jumped when they walk at night. That's a legitimate concern. It's not my concern, though. I don't worry about that. But I can see why they would feel that way.

Anyway, enough time/energy wasted. I've explained myself twice, and you continue to want to battle a strawman. Go on ahead. I'm going to go eat some lunch...

This is akin to saying that you predict there will be a forest fire, but because you don't live in the forest, you don't personally care -you merely understand why those in the forest may be concerned. Therefore, you are exempt from any discussion or counter-points regarding your prediction that a forest fire will happen.

The way you like to accuse others of logical fallacies feels like projection.

Ok so you edited your post to add this:
By the way, this whole mess is sort of a sideshow anyhow. Our disagreement started when he came at me saying, "I don't know what you're on about," re. Sony going woke. When I pointed out evidence of Sony becoming more woke, he did not acknowledge that but instead changed the subject -- to this, which is now what we'll arguing about. But that wasn't even his initial point. He just shifted to that when he was contradicted.

Yeah again I know I read everything. His point was that MS is equally-if-not-more "woke" than Sony so in his view it didn't make sense that MS' presence was keeping Sony's "wokeness" in check to some extent that could be affected were they to pull out. You can agree or disagree with the idea but he certainly didn't fail to read your post or understand what you were talking about by any means lol. The subject was always the same thing.

Last edited:

Camreezie

Quite the stretch , microsoft had nothing to do with most of "their" games and they only count as they bought the companies years after

mckmas8808

Or they could use the game to entice Xbox gamers to buy a PS5.

Disagree. I know a few people who got a PS5 just for this game. Some of them just upgraded from PS4 to PS5 but I'm sure Sony is ok with that to.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

1M sales PS
1M sales Xbox
2M Gamepass

I thought this comment was funny before but now we have data.

5O7Jw50.png

MLB sells around 1 million copies on average digitally.

If we look at MLB 23 data, it likely sells around 750k during the first few months digitally.

I think now it's safe to say that MLB The Show sales are well below 1 million in sales.

Top Bottom