• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has more best-sellers on PlayStation Store than Sony does

Draugoth

Gold Member
97684_25_microsoft-has-more-games-on-playstations-top-25-best-sellers-than-sony-does.png

Report via Tweaktown:
Microsoft has grown considerably now that it owns Activision Blizzard King, so by virtue of its sheer size, it's not really a surprise that its games now have a larger share and populate multiple charts. To get a better idea of both Xbox's size and its synergistic relationship with Sony, we can take a quick look at best-selling games on the PlayStation Store.

I originally checked the PS Store charts to see if the Fallout TV show bumped franchise sales (it has), but when checking the list I noticed something interesting: Xbox had more games on the PS Store's top 25 best-selling games than Sony did.

Before we look at the data, I have to bring up some very important context points:

• PlayStation Store rankings change on a daily basis and the info provided below only reflects current standings
  • The best-sellers list includes free-to-play games like Fortnite, and even updates like Overwatch 2
  • Prices fluctuate and discounted games will often top the lists and/or be included

97684_1_microsoft-has-more-games-on-playstations-top-25-best-sellers-than-sony-does.png

According to the PS Store listings on the PS5 console, as of today, April 18, 2024, Microsoft had 7 out of the top 25 best-selling games on the PlayStation Store.

This includes 2x Fallout games (Fallout 4 at #16 and Fallout 76 at #20, respectively), Call of Duty at #2, Overwatch 2 at #7, Minecraft at #19, and two separate games that recently broke exclusivity: Sea of Thieves at #12 and Grounded at #23.

Sony, on the other hand, had 5 games on the best-sellers list, two of which are not technically first-party games and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment (Helldivers II was developed by Arrowhead Studios, and Stellar Blade by Shift Up).

Last edited:

Elbereth

Microsoft has grown considerably now that it owns Activision Blizzard King, so by virtue of its sheer size, it's not really a surprise that its games now have a larger share and populate multiple charts. To get a better idea of both Xbox's size and its synergistic relationship with Sony, we can take a quick look at best-selling games on the PlayStation Store.

I originally checked the PS Store charts to see if the Fallout TV show bumped franchise sales (it has), but when checking the list I noticed something interesting: Xbox had more games on the PS Store's top 25 best-selling games than Sony did.

Before we look at the data, I have to bring up some very important context points:

• PlayStation Store rankings change on a daily basis and the info provided below only reflects current standings
  • The best-sellers list includes free-to-play games like Fortnite, and even updates like Overwatch 2
  • Prices fluctuate and discounted games will often top the lists and/or be included

97684_1_microsoft-has-more-games-on-playstations-top-25-best-sellers-than-sony-does.png

According to the PS Store listings on the PS5 console, as of today, April 18, 2024, Microsoft had 7 out of the top 25 best-selling games on the PlayStation Store.

This includes 2x Fallout games (Fallout 4 at #16 and Fallout 76 at #20, respectively), Call of Duty at #2, Overwatch 2 at #7, Minecraft at #19, and two separate games that recently broke exclusivity: Sea of Thieves at #12 and Grounded at #23.

Sony, on the other hand, had 5 games on the best-sellers list, two of which are not technically first-party games and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment (Helldivers II was developed by Arrowhead Studios, and Stellar Blade by Shift Up).

Kevin James Price GIF by TV Land

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think everything depends on how much the PS walled garden holds it's consumer base in the next generation. Two possible paths.

- If Sony holds all their consumers and can keep all that 3rd party software money, they will keep the status quo and have lots of passive income to fund their expensive 1st party games.
- If consumers do migrate away from consoles over time, MS is positioned to be the dominant force in the industry as the largest publisher by far. Sony would have less passive income or incentive for 2nd party exclusives and would rely entirely on 1st party, which puts out mega sellers, but doesn't put out a ton of them. MS games don't do as well critically as Sony games, but the sheer amount of stuff they are going to be releasing across all studios over the next decade is crazy.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well, Sony makes single player games that are not going to continue selling 2-3 years after launch. We have seen their sales numbers thanks to the insomniac hack and they are doing very well this gen.

But yes, Sony are likely to go 2023-2024 with just one or two first party titles. And thats what you're seeing here in the current best sellers list. rank them as overall sellers and you will see Spiderman, GOW, Horizon and GT7 all rank above these games.

That said, counting minecraft, cod, fallout and overwatch as xbox first party is silly. All those games existed before MS bought them.

Imagine stanning for a company who's only notable characteristic these days is that they have unlimited money from Papa Gates to buy up an industry in which they have failed in for like 15 years now.

Anyway, Fallout New Vegas is my favorite Microsoft game. What a classic they have created. Thank you Phil.

Last edited:

OrtizTwelve

Microsoft wants to be the dominant game maker and publisher in the industry. They pretty much already are with the recent acquisition of Activision.

XBOX and PC will still have their exclusives, but I expect Microsoft to eventually (sooner than later) make ALL their games available on all platforms regularly. It's the only common sense business approach moving forward. Microsoft isn't going to recoup their recent investments relying only on PC and XBOX alone.

Doesn't mean XBOX is gone as a hardware platform, it will just be different.

Killjoy-NL

At best, this just means that more Xbox games will be coming to Playstation.

What's funny, is that in another unrelated thread, PC hardware prices will see an increase and we see PC gamers actually considering jumping to Playstation when Pro releases.

That in turn, coupled with this topic, will even add more incentive for MS to release Xbox games on Playstation.

So basically, everybody wins, you just need to buy a PS5 (Pro). Lol

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Not sure why there's so much defensiveness and "console warring" calls here.

It's just the truth. And frankly it's a good thing for all. It strengthens Microsoft's position in the market and it brings more games to PS owners.

I don't understand why PS owners would be upset about the idea of getting to play more games that they formerly didn't have access to.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's just the truth.
That's why there's so much defensiveness. Can't talk about the actual subject matter if reality doesn't fit your preference.

The OP or title never even says 1st party (even though it is). The first sentence in the OP states MS has grown, meaning they're clearly talking about acquisitions. Nothing in the OP is claiming Phil Spencer crafted these. It's just pointing out a plainly obvious truth, but that's too much to handle I guess even when it's on the platform people on here prefer.

Last edited:

Lupin25

It's just the truth. And frankly it's a good thing for all. It strengthens Microsoft's position in the market and it brings more games to PS owners.

I don't understand why PS owners would be upset about the idea of getting to play more games that they formerly didn't have access to.

A lot of those games were top-sellers before MS intervened and bought the devs, though (Minecraft, Overwatch, CoD etc.)

Consolidation was a shortcut to short-term success.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Where you at Nintendo?

QNGS2Re.jpg

Green and Blue making that bread together.....where you at?!?!

<--- PC Gamer just wants official ports of Nintendo games.
Emulators are dying left and right out here.

Mr Moose

Most of those games aren't made by MicroSoft and were already on PlayStation.
It's like Sony taking credit for Destiny, it would be fucking stupid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom