• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has more best-sellers on PlayStation Store than Sony does

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Xbox owners don’t give a shit about games going to other platforms because all Xbox games have been multi platform for two generations now.

Also LOL @ the distant third place company pushing the industry leader in a certain direction.

This post shows why Xbox peeps are so insecure.

It’s always “XBOX DUDES DON’T CARE, BECAUSE OF REASONS”. It’s the same shit with screaming “MS DOESN’T CARE ABOUT CONSOLES, MONEY, SALES”.

Just a way to ignore the truth.

Last edited:

GHG

Not true, Sea of Thieves and Grounded were greenlit by MS and, ironically enough, are the best games on this list.

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

“It’s something that was in production before we became part of Microsoft,” he said. “I know a lot of people associate our studio with RPGs, but we do have multiple teams working on things at different times, so you can expect to hear more about the RPGs we’re working on in the future.”

Neofire

Well when you buy the largest 3rd party developer in the industry......🤷🏿‍♂️ Most of those games MS had nothing to do with until their most recent "acquisition" lol.

jm89

Sony can always just say no and ditch the game to spite them. In the link, which links to an Inverse article, Sony agree to do it in 2019, which lead to the first game being the 2021 game.
Say no would have been risky.

They lose the license they need to find the studio something to do. They can work on a new game but considering all they really work on is MLB games who knows how successfull a new game could end up.

It won't matter in the end anyway, question is how long is ms willing to pay for it to be on gamepass?

And if MS aren't willing to continue paying for it, then sales will plummet making it a waste of a port.

Like most things phil thought he had one on sony by putting MLB on gamepass, in the end his rubbed the stench of gamepass all over the game on xbox by making it yet another game that people won't want to pay money for.

Humdinger

That 1% may be Xbox fans who don't want their games on PlayStation.

I think there is a lot more than 1% of those guys -- the hardcore Xbox loyalist type. They know what having Xbox exclusives going to PS means. They know what it means about the "console war" in which they have invested themselves. They know what it portends for the future of their favorite console. And they are not happy about it.

I think there are a lot of those guys, although we don't hear much from them. Partly that's because there isn't a whole lot they can say. Some are trying to recast this as as a victory (as we see in this thread). Some are probably still trying to figure out how many MS exclusives are going to PS and when. But they are there -- quietly unhappy, trying to adjust.

p.s. Or maybe there is only 1% of those people, and I get a distorted view of reality by reading gaming forums. That's always a possibility, lol.

Last edited:

Three

Hot take but... This shows you that people does not buy ps over Xbox because of ts games but fron brand loyalism and fanboyism for that Matter.
They should have bought an xbox for CoD, Overwatch 2, Minecraft, Fallout 76 and Fallout 4 and not PS5 for the PS exclusive games there? If they didn't buy an xbox for those multiplatform (now MS owned) games it's because of fanboyism? Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree on that one.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Not true, Sea of Thieves and Grounded were greenlit by MS and, ironically enough, are the best games on this list.
Grounded was actually in development before acquisition. Long story short, Pillars of Eternity II devs wanted to try something else as the game's reception and sales weren't great and they decided to try smaller projects. Some of the devs worked on Grounded and others worked on Pentiment. Both of these games were already in development before Obsidian was acquired by Microsoft

Last edited:

Humdinger

That 1% maybe Xbox fans who don't want their games on PlayStation.

One more thought on that 1%... Some people worry about what the fading of MS as a competitor (in the console hardware space) means for Sony. Will they become "arrogant Sony" again? We have already seen Sony become less communicative this generation, more "woke," and more interested in monetization through Live service. If Microsoft folds their hand, will Sony feel more full of themselves, "greedy" and entitled? Hard to say, but I think it's a legitimate concern.

I still think that, overall, this is a good thing for both MS and Sony. As a PS-only owner, I'm happy about it. But I can see how some people might think it's not so great.

Last edited:
One more thought on that 1%... Some people worry about what the fading of MS as a competitor (in the console hardware space) means for Sony. Will they become "arrogant Sony" again? We have already seen Sony become less communicative this generation, more "woke," and more interested in monetization through Live service. If Microsoft folds their hand, will Sony feel more full of themselves, "greedy" and entitled? Hard to say, but I think it's a legitimate concern.

I still think that, overall, this is a good thing for both MS and Sony. As a PS-only owner, I'm happy about it. But I can see how some people might think it's not so great.
MS is the one who is pushing woke way harder than Sony. So I have no idea what you are on about when Sony is the one supporting Stellar Blade.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Ultimately it's this. That doesn't mean that stuff like Sea of Thieves isn't good as I'm sure it is but when Microsoft buys up everybody it's bound to have top sellers on competing platforms.

Just wait until they put Halo over there.
Between the show and the 343 games the Halo IP has taken a major hit in the last few years. Think of what an event Halo 3 was and now I think most people missed that Infinite was even a thing that happened. It pissed off existing fans without bringing in new ones.

Topher

Gold Member
Hot take but... This shows you that people does not buy ps over Xbox because of ts games but fron brand loyalism and fanboyism for that Matter.

Just not true. If that were the case then Xbox 360 should have never sold as many units as it did. Likewise, PlayStation should have been a massive flop due to "loyalism" to Sega.

Just a bad take all around. People buy consoles for the games.

Humdinger

MS is the one who is pushing woke way harder than Sony. So I have no idea what you are on about when Sony is the one supporting Stellar Blade.

If you haven't noticed Sony studios getting more woke (e.g., TLOU 2, Spider-Man 2, Horizon FW, even God of War, SBI involvement in Wolverine, etc.), you haven't been paying attention. Stellar Blade is a nice exception, but it's third party, not SIE.

I know that MS studios are woke, too. I'm not doing a console war comparison, so don't go into reflex mode. Pay attention to the context. I was talking about what might happen to Sony if Xbox departs the hardware scene.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Just not true. If that were the case then Xbox 360 should have never sold as many units as it did. Likewise, PlayStation should have been a massive flop due to "loyalism" to Sega.

Just a bad take all around. People buy consoles for the games.
That is what went wrong with Xbox consoles. They went all in on brand loyalty and "influencers" instead of prioritizing games. They tried to buy their way back to being competitive in the console space. It looks like it got too expensive and they had to concede more than they expected in the ABK purchase so here we are now, where Xbox games are best sellers on PlayStation consoles. It is awesome. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

If you haven't noticed Sony studios getting more woke (e.g., TLOU 2, Spider-Man 2, Horizon FW, even God of War, SBI involvement in Wolverine, etc.), you haven't been paying attention. Stellar Blade is a nice exception, but it's third party, not SIE.

I know that MS studios are woke, too. I'm not doing a console war comparison, so don't go into reflex mode. Pay attention to the context. I was talking about what might happen to Sony if Xbox departs the hardware scene.
The joke is you still think Xbox has an effect on the market. It is on life support thus it had no say in influencing Sony either way.

Topher

Gold Member
That is what went wrong with Xbox consoles. They went all in on brand loyalty and "influencers" instead of prioritizing games. They tried to buy their way back to being competitive in the console space. It looks like it got too expensive and they had to concede more than they expected in the ABK purchase so here we are now, where Xbox games are best sellers on PlayStation consoles. It is awesome. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I think it is hilarious that after all these years of Xbox sucking wind......we still have people denying that games were the problem.

Benny Hill What GIF

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think it is hilarious that after all these years of Xbox sucking wind......we still have people denying that games were the problem.

Benny Hill What GIF
It goes deeper than that

Have said this several times here but Phil Spencer gave the greenlight to the first Halo Infinite trailer that gave us Craig

He thought that looked good

Explains a lot why said games have been the issue last several years if you ask me

Topher

Gold Member
It goes deeper than that

Have said this several times here but Phil Spencer gave the greenlight to the first Halo Infinite trailer that gave us Craig

He thought that looked good

Explains a lot why said games have been the issue last several years if you ask me

You've highlighted the crux of the problem plenty of times. Xbox leadership is lacking. That's another thing that people continue to deny. Ironic that some are pointing to "loyalism" as the reason for PlayStation's success when "loyalism" to Xbox management has contributed significantly to the brand's failing.

yurinka

The comparision is a bit cherrypicking and misleading:
  • There are 2 Sony 3rd party console exclusives there in addition to the 7 first party games
  • Grounded will quickly leave the list after its release peak
  • The 2 Fallout games will quickly leave the list too, they are temporally there due to the tv show bump

I think Sea of Thieves will go down in the list too, but may continue in the top 25 for a while.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

That's what happens when you start buying big publishers, suddenly you get to the top of all kinds of charts and lists.

Let's give them some time and see if they can do it again with games developed under Microsoft's leadership.
Like COD 2025, which going by reports lready doesn't have a main developing studio as Sledgehammer Studios refused to do it.

Between the show and the 343 games the Halo IP has taken a major hit in the last few years. Think of what an event Halo 3 was and now I think most people missed that Infinite was even a thing that happened. It pissed off existing fans without bringing in new ones.
I was more thinking MCC then Infinite. I think MCC would still pull in a ton of people.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You've highlighted the crux of the problem plenty of times. Xbox leadership is lacking. That's another thing that people continue to deny. Ironic that some are pointing to "loyalism" as the reason for PlayStation's success when "loyalism" to Xbox management has contributed significantly to the brand's failing.
Plus their apparent plan of succession does not inspire confidence if you ask me

reinking

Gold Member
Going to strive to remain cautiously optimistic going into the June showcase, but Spencer, Booty and Bond do not inspire me at all either. The plan so far: overpromise, underdeliver.
We know they have at least one more console generation. I do hope they hit it out of the park. I find myself "defending" Sony more than I should but I have always been a multi-console gamer. I probably get more excited about hardware and checking it out than I do actually playing the games. However, like you and others have said, I do not have confidence in leadership. Bond is parroting Spencer-speak.

Topher

Gold Member
We know they have at least one more console generation. I do hope they hit it out of the park. I find myself "defending" Sony more than I should but I have always been a multi-console gamer. I probably get more excited about hardware and checking it out than I do actually playing the games. However, like you and others have said, I do not have confidence in leadership. Bond is parroting Spencer-speak.

I was hoping Bond would bring a more sober approach to Xbox, but she came out with this "greatest leap generation" bullshit and I'm rolling my eyes at her just a few weeks on the job. Xbox needs a house cleaning and I'm not talking about all the employees they laid off.

Last edited:

Woopah

Thanks for that post. Do you K ow who owns the Stellar Blade IP?
IP ownership doesn't affect things anyway. Spiderman and Ultimate Alliance 3 are still first party even though Sony/Nintendo don't own Marvel characters.

Astral Chain and Pokémon Legends were still first party at launch, even though Nintendo didn't have full ownership of the IP (possibly its the same for Smash Bros.)

Topher

Gold Member
IP ownership doesn't affect things anyway. Spiderman and Ultimate Alliance 3 are still first party even though Sony/Nintendo don't own Marvel characters.

Astral Chain and Pokémon Legends were still first party at launch, even though Nintendo didn't have full ownership of the IP (possibly its the same for Smash Bros.)

Exactly right. It is all about the contracts between these companies. Sony owns the rights to make the Spider-man movies. They don't own the IP. There are probably a number of deals like that which keep IPs on certain platforms that the platform owners don't own.

MarkMe2525

And another thing, this looks terrible for Microsoft. "Their games" will sell better on other platforms then their own
Why would it look terrible when the other platform has an install base that is almost (if not) 3 times as large. It would look terrible if this were not the case.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As far as I'm aware, sales on XBox aren't counted as it's on gamepass, so those 2million sales are PS, PC and Switch. (It's around 4 million players isn't it according to wiki?)

And 2 million per year ain't bad for a franchise that noone gives a shit about outside the US
But the last game with sales numbers in your link says 2 million, but one million. Sales are surely even higher now that they release it on two other consoles. But the main reason they are more than happy to put it on other platforms is all the MTX in the game just means more $$$.
MLB isn't on PC. And Switch games only the past two games. In 2021, it was the first multiplat game (Xbox).

The 4M players is player count. Not sales. A big portion of that will be Gamepass.

The 2M I referenced was the last stated sales Wiki had (which was a reference footnote number leading to an article saying 2M). And that year (2021) was when the first Xbox port came out. The link leads to this article. The 1M I referenced is the typical PS console sales per year from the Wiki link.

• MLB® The Show™ 21 from San Diego Studio is the fastest-selling title in franchise history with more than 2 million copies* sold across all platforms. The game has reached more than 4 million players since releasing on April 16, 2021

Last edited:
Top Bottom