• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness using 5GB RAM so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
jZU6occCS3EQV.png

jri4vSKpVT85c.png

jTZ8N2zhDzH6m.png

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow

Proelite

What crock of bs. It's easy for any app to use 5Gb lol.

He probably should stay away from technical talks.

Seance

Banned
So instead of sub 30 fps due to cramming in too much in the way of effects for the frame buffer, it will be sub 30 fps due to bloat.

Next-gen.

He's probably loading the entire open world at once or something. Not exactly smart memory management.

But if you got that much RAM to play with, do whatever the hell you want with it lol.

I fully understand all the hate around the Xbox One and I share a lot of it, but I honestly feel that he makes these comments to stir up the fanboys and keep his game in the light.

Well, he's right about DDR3 being dirt cheap, but they had to save money somewhere to allow for the Kinect to be bundled with every console.

KingFire

Banned
Sounds unoptimized

That is exactly what his tweets imply. Why spend time optimizing and breaking up your game into chunks if you can focus on the actual gameplay and game concepts? This is good for indie devs who do not have the resources nor the time to do it.

Mister D

Damn did MS shit in his cornflakes or something? I'm not even that interested in the XBone but this guy's jabs at MS just seem pathetic now. Just STFU and let your game do the talking.

Juice

People give Blow such a hard time. He's a little socially awkward, but he's clearly very intelligent and generally thoughtful.

Of course it's not meaningful that any application wants 5GB of RAM. many applications are almost gas-like in their proclivity to fill their allotted memory space. However, he's absolutely right that currently console developers have to bend over backwards and make very real concessions to gameplay (map size, etc.) in order to squeeze into anemic memory pools.

All games will be better off once the lowest common denominator is lifted, PC ports included.

TheExodu5

Banned
Why is it unoptimized? If you have the memory, you should use it. He can have tons of stuff loaded/cached in memory without the need to manage it extensively. If he can essentially fit the entire game in memory, then that's a huge plus.

That just means they are too lazy / not skilled enough to optimize it.
That is exactly what his tweets imply. Why spend time optimizing and breaking up your game into chunks if you can focus on the actual gameplay and game concepts? This is good for indie devs who do not have the resources nor the time to it.
Nails it.

People give Blow such a hard time. He's a little socially awkward, but he's clearly very intelligent and generally thoughtful.
People love to shit on him for reasons I'll never understand.

Yup... sounds about right. The more powerful the machine, the less time devs have to spend on optimization and streaming subsystems, and the more time they can spend on making the actual game experience.

Who's disagreeing with this again? And how is this taken as a dig at MS? The PS4 has 8GB RAM as well, right?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The Witness didn't look particularly amazing at the reveal. Nice visual style I guess, but nothing that seems like it should require that much memory. Is it running at 4K or something?

technically the xbone RAM is at a pretty great frequency for DDR3.

BUt yeah, I get what he means. More RAM is always better for freedom of creativity.

Blow has been an incredibly annoying and confrontational voice in this console generation. For his sake, I hope The Witness sells well because I enjoyed Braid a lot. I wouldn't hold my breath on it taking off personally.

And how the hell is this game using 5GB of RAM? It's a game that current gen machines could probably run.

Juice

Yup... sounds about right. The more powerful the machine, the less time devs have to spend on optimization and streaming subsystems, and the more time they can spend on making the actual game experience.

Who's disagreeing with this again? And how is this taken as a dig at MS? The PS4 has 8GB RAM as well, right?

The Xbone has significantly less RAM (is it 5GB?) available to games themselves.

Harlock

Is like doing a flash banner with 40 kbytes and other version with 20 kbytes. You spend way more time with the 20kb version.

Noirulus

Eh. Don't really agree with him that 8GB "isn't that much". It's more than enough. Back in 2006, 4GB RAM was the norm for high-end PC gaming, and last gen consoles had just 512MB RAM to work with. I realize my comparison might be a little too simplified, but 8GB of RAM is much more than enough in terms of future-proofing the consoles until next gen.

i-Lo

I can already sense that 1080p will not be a standard resolution beyond the first year or so. I expect around 900p upscaled to 1080p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom