• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness using 5GB RAM so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

xJavonta

Banned
Yeah, I know he said it's 'not about optimisitaion', but it is. There's no way this game needs 5GB RAM if something like Xenoblade/Super Mario Galaxy can run on 88MB.

I was worried that having so much RAM would result in devs just writing lazy, bloated, unoptimised code, rather than actually making good use of the extra power. I guess it makes sense for indie games, but I hope we don't see this kind of thing in AAA releases
lol
This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Because he makes good games and I don't want him starting a trend of getting lazy with his code because the hardware is so powerful. Is it really so wrong to ask for devs to optimize their code and not give half-assed excuses to the uninformed to justify it?

Agreed. But I can't enjoy a game no matter how good it is if it runs like ass. Especially if I KNOW it could have been done better if it weren't for lack of trying on the devs part.
But here's the key: nowhere does Blow say he isn't optimizing his game. He merely says he has to spend less time on optimizing. Nothing more, nothing less.

MartyStu

Because he makes good games and I don't want him starting a trend of getting lazy with his code because the hardware is so powerful. Is it really so wrong to ask for devs to optimize their code and not give half-assed excuses to the uninformed to justify it?

Agreed. But I can't enjoy a game no matter how good it is if it runs like ass. Especially if I KNOW it could have been done better if it weren't for lack of trying on the devs part.

Bingo.

I mean, I understand if he finds it necessary to cut corners, and with all the resources available to him, I can see how he could justify that to himself in order to get his game to market, but it is hardly something to take pride in.

Ultimately though, I think this is all pretty harmless. He is probably happy just not having to deal with some of the BS limitations from last gen.

Damaniel

Banned
Why are there so many armchair software engineers here that think that next gen games should be able to run in 32 or 64 MB of RAM?

RAM is cheap. Why *shouldn't* devs use it? No shame in writing a game that's 'unoptimized' if there's no need to waste effort on optimization.

Using the memory that is available to you is not "unoptimized". Windows 7 starts caching your most frequently used programs into system RAM right after boot so that they launch as fast as possible, filling available RAM in the process. RAM is there for a reason, and that is to fill up with data.

missile

Since how can there ever be enough RAM?

If you easily increase the amount and size of textures, lightmaps, and audio,
then it's a trivial observation not having enough RAM. So what's the news
Mr. Blow is talking about?

It's just too easy to consume RAM that way.

If he would speak about math and physics requiring more RAM for their games,
things would look different. But just using textures, lightmaps, and sounds
arguing for not having enough memory tells me something about the programmer.

totowhoa

Banned
Bingo.

I mean, I understand if he finds it necessary to cut corners, and with all the resources available to him, I can see how he could justify that to himself in order to get his game to market, but it is hardly something to take pride in.

How is he cutting corners?

Yeah, I know he said it's 'not about optimisitaion', but it is. There's no way this game needs 5GB RAM if something like Xenoblade/Super Mario Galaxy can run on 88MB.

I was worried that having so much RAM would result in devs just writing lazy, bloated, unoptimised code, rather than actually making good use of the extra power. I guess it makes sense for indie games, but I hope we don't see this kind of thing in AAA releases
lol

It's not that Xenoblade and SMG can run on that little amount of RAM, it's that they HAD to. Devs were FORCED to make games run on the WiiPS360 the way they were. In the early years of the next gen consoles, it's fine if not every game is pushing the limits of what's capable and cramming loads of complex optimization/area streaming techniques if they don't have to. It'll be a load off of a ton of devs who can just "drop" the games into RAM and let them run. This doesn't mean that every game is going to be a buggy piece of crap.

Anteater

lol

AAA games such as mass effect and dragon age already ran like poop, so more ram will probably help those. There will still be devs making good use of the hardwares.

FirewalkR

Why optimize if he doesn't need to?

He says right now it's over 5GB. Sure, they could probably get this running as well as it does with much less memory, but it'll run anyway, the end result is the same, incredible graphics is not their focus (looks good, still) and they can focus on the gameplay instead.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
What's with the unoptimized comments? If you have all that ram, why wouldn't you load all your textures and stuff in it? Cuts out loading between levels.

xJavonta

Banned
Why optimize the code if it doesn't need to be as the hardware is more powerful?

Why waste his time when he can concentrate on the gaming experience and other things that may need work if he has sufficient ram and can just stream it instead of optimizing it?

What benefit would their be if there is ram left over?
I thought he was loading all the assets into the RAM instead of streaming it?

And I'm not saying extra RAM left over would be beneficial, but it sounds like he doesn't want to optimize the game and lack of optimization leads me to believe that the game will perform like shit.

p1: ram usage != graphics. does photoshop look next gen to you?

p2: thats not bullshit. it's truth no matter how you try to spin it.

also, it's just the dudes opinion. he's not attacking anybody. why are you getting so aggressive about it?
P1, I know that.

P2, I'm more worried about this being used an a crutch in the future to make up for half-assed games. It sounds like PR bullshit.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Right now I'm planning a game for the iPad/PC. Most of my work is designing the game, but a good portion of it right now is how I can load the game into the iPad's 512mb of memory. I have to figure out how to load the game while the player scrolls across a map, how to load and unload assets in the background, and potentially limit the amount of images the player can see at any given time.

If it was just PC, I wouldn't really need to plan this at all. I could go straight into game making and not have to worry about memory juggling because most computers have 1GB to spare for games.

If tomorrow you told me I could design a game for 8GB of memory, I would be able to throw out at least a month's work of planning and testing for memory crashes, loading/unloading assets, and so on. It would be absolutely awesome.

Anyone screaming "bah lazy devs not optimizing their code" just don't get it.
I can fit eight people into a Mini Cooper if I absolutely had to, stacking and squeezing them on the floors and seats, but if they could ride in a passenger van instead, why the hell would I still try to get them to fit in a Mini Cooper sized amount of space inside the van? I could just pile them in, drive my van, and be so much more comfortable.

Damaniel

Banned
Sounds like Blow is talking out of his ass again.

I used to respect him, but he's been an annoying fuck lately. 5GB of RAM is a huge step over last gen, and if The Witness, a game that looks last gen, is using 5GB, that's called lack of optimization.

And don't even give me that bullshit about spending less time to optimize gives you more time to make the game better. An optimized game is better than a piece of shit.

I'd rather see the effort going into making the game good, rather than meeting some unspoken 'optimization' requirement that everybody seems to be getting up in arms over.

Sure, he could struggle and struggle to make the game run in 1GB of RAM, but seriously, why bother? That extra RAM is just sitting there, and contorting your code to fit in a fraction of the RAM is a terrible waste of time.

You can call it unoptimized; I call it liberating. Less effort on 'optimization' that doesn't actually contribute to playability, more effort on the things that actually matter.

GavinGT

Banned
What's with the unoptimized comments? If you have all that ram, why wouldn't you load all your textures and stuff in it? Cuts out loading between levels.

Because it's also a PC game. If it were just for consoles, I see no reason not to use all 5 GB at all times. EDIT: Also, yeah, that initial load would take longer.

That's assuming it's coming out for Xbox One at some point down the line, which I don't think has been spoken to definitively.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Bingo.

Ultimately though, I think this is all pretty harmless. He is probably happy just not having to deal with some of the BS limitations from last gen.

how is maximizing your use of available resources a bad thing? is he using up ram that the next game could use?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
5GB is way too much. I hope devs don't take all these additional resources for granted. It's one of the reasons why the previous consoles were so hard to develop for so that devs got to know the hardware well.

Of course, I don't know anything about the game and it may justify the RAM usage, but just seems excessive. Lack of streaming is a great thing though.

DeBurgo

I bet if it was blu-ray disks instead of RAM, people here would be talking about how awesome it is that he's filling the game with so much content.

Why are there so many armchair software engineers here that think that next gen games should be able to run in 32 or 64 MB of RAM?

RAM is cheap. Why *shouldn't* devs use it? No shame in writing a game that's 'unoptimized' if there's no need to waste effort on optimization.

Because it's not cheap, and the consumers wear the costs in higher console prices while the manufacturers wear the costs in lower (or negative) margins.

how is maximizing your use of available resources a bad thing? is he using up ram that the next game could use?

It means the game must load 5GB from the disc before you can start playing any of it, that'll lead to some hefty load times even from hard drive (5GB may not sound like much to load from disc, but remember this isn't going to be just one single file in one location, but lots and lots of little files from all over the file system).

JWong

Banned

lol

EDIT: In fairness, we haven't seen anything of the game, so saying there's 'no way' is a bit short sighted I guess. But still, I highly doubt it.

You don't get it. Why even bring Wii U into the equation? I can tell you that a PS3/360 game being ported into Wii U will cost a developer's time of about 2-3 months for them to make it work, and that isn't even performing as well as the other systems.

It is much less about code and more about graphical freedom. Throw in 5mb textures on a ton of objects and you might have needed a team of engineers to create a depth of field coding to optimize performance for a month. Now they can just put that time into make the game better.

More RAM means seamless transitions/no loading, more textures, more objects, more particles.
Nothing to do with being lazy.

Zarx

How is a game like KillZone look like that and have all that going on with only 4GB? But this indie(?) game doesnt and is using more? I'm not techy so plz explain someone cause this makes no sense

Killzone uses realtime lighting and streaming (loading from disc/HD as needed) for textures and audio assets. As well as a lot of instancing (reusing the same model multiple times) of assets.

The Witness loads almost everything at once and utilizes baked high resolution lightmaps for the lighting. The audio for the game alone is ~800MB. Blow is actually doing some neat stuff with audio for example there are over 1,100 sound samples for footsteps, with 4-6 individual samples for each foot on each ground material in the game, which means that you won't have the repeating sound loop when walking like most games have and it will sound much more natural. The advantage of not streaming everything is that you can avoid pop-in (there will still be some as I doubt the GPU would be able to render everything at once but you likely won't be able to notice it) and have greater draw distances. Streaming also introduces quite a bit of processing overhead and also extra development time insuring that the world is broken up into small pieces and that assets are loaded in time to be used. Streaming systems quickly become complicated and can lead to a lot of bugs and uneven performance.

I don't think anybody's berating the guy for making use of the resources. Like I said, it makes sense for him and other indies to do that. It saves development time and lots of hassle.

It's the way he's taking to Twitter and shouting "MY GAME USES 5GB RAM ALREADY" like we're supposed to believe that The Witness is close to maxing out the PS4's power and that 8GB is almost a bare minimum.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
P2, I'm more worried about this being used an a crutch in the future to make up for half-assed games. It sounds like PR bullshit.

the tweets started with him lamenting the lack of ram in the xbox, he only mentioned the witnesses usage in response to someone. and saying 'our game uses 5gbs of ram' is the worst kind of PR you could spin since its something that would excite maybe 0.00001% of the population. but somehow the tweet ends up on neogaf through no effort on blows part but it's his fault anyway that he 'fucking annoys' you.

just be happy that someone is making use of the resources. the guy has been making this game for i think 3-4 years now and he made a game as thoughtful as braid. he's not lazy by any stretch.

i-Lo

Dat >5GB worth of data:

iqdTOEAOrh49i.gif

isL9WjltT9ZH8.gif

It's a beautiful game.

missile

... More RAM means seamless transitions/no loading, more textures, more objects, more particles. ...
Yeah. But we know this since the beginning of the computer age. What's the news
Mr. Blow talks about? One can say similar if we would have 1TB of RAM. So what
exactly is the point he is talking about -- what we didn't knew already since
the dawn of the computer age?

xJavonta

Banned
I want to know the frame rate this is running at. If he hasn't done much optimization and it runs at 30, he needs to see if there's a way to get it to 60.

Actually, "unoptimized" would be not using as much of the available RAM as you have available. If he had a system using way less than what was available, but having to go to the HDD install or optical disc to fetch more data when there was still plenty available RAM, that would be poor optimization. The less you have to access the spinning drives, the better.

Isn't it amazing that a game developer can post on twitter about ram usage and have hordes of people who have never written a single line of code bash him on forums and telling him he must be doing something wrong?

And I'm not saying extra RAM left over would be beneficial, but it sounds like he doesn't want to optimize the game and lack of optimization leads me to believe that the game will perform like shit.

Dude this is fucking reaching and you know it. He has no need to optimize the memory usage since there is still leftover RAM even after loading the whole game. How in the world do you ascertain it will perform poorly because of this?

Read this post below buddy. Just LOL at all the expert armchair devs in this thread, haha.
Right now I'm planning a game for the iPad/PC. Most of my work is designing the game, but a good portion of it right now is how I can load the game into the iPad's 512mb of memory. I have to figure out how to load the game while the player scrolls across a map, how to load and unload assets in the background, and potentially limit the amount of images the player can see at any given time.

If it was just PC, I wouldn't really need to plan this at all. I could go straight into game making and not have to worry about memory juggling because most computers have 1GB to spare for games.

If tomorrow you told me I could design a game for 8GB of memory, I would be able to throw out at least a month's work of planning and testing for memory crashes, loading/unloading assets, and so on. It would be absolutely awesome.

Anyone screaming "bah lazy devs not optimizing their code" just don't get it.
I can fit eight people into a Mini Cooper if I absolutely had to, stacking and squeezing them on the floors and seats, but if they could ride in a passenger van instead, why the hell would I still try to get them to fit in a Mini Cooper sized amount of space inside the van? I could just pile them in, drive my van, and be so much more comfortable.

And bam:
Killzone uses realtime lighting and streaming (loading from disc/HD as needed) for textures and audio assets. As well as a lot of instancing (reusing the same model multiple times) of assets.

The Witness loads almost everything at once and utilizes baked high resolution lightmaps for the lighting. The audio for the game alone is ~800MB. Blow is actually doing some neat stuff with audio for example there are over 1,100 sound samples for footsteps, with 4-6 individual samples for each foot on each ground material in the game, which means that you won't have the repeating sound loop when walking like most games have and it will sound much more natural. The advantage of not streaming everything is that you can avoid pop-in (there will still be some as I doubt the GPU would be able to render everything at once but you likely won't be able to notice it) and have greater draw distances. Streaming also introduces quite a bit of processing overhead and also extra development time insuring that the world is broken up into small pieces and that assets are loaded in time to be used. Streaming systems quickly become complicated and can lead to a lot of bugs and uneven performance.
All of you getting in a hissy fit, inform yourselves ^^

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
It means the game must load 5GB from the disc before you can start playing any of it, that'll lead to some hefty load times even from hard drive (5GB may not sound like much to load from disc, but remember this isn't going to be just one single file in one location, but lots and lots of little files from all over the file system).

so you would rather load in 1gb 10 times or 5gbs once? im pretty sure the point of loading in so much data at once is so that you dont have to page out anything. i guess another way of putting it is, would you rather ten 1 minute loading screens or one 5 minute loading screen?

GavinGT

Banned
Isn't it amazing that a game developer can post on twitter about ram usage and have hordes of people who have never written a single line of code bash him on forums and telling him he must be doing something wrong?

I'd bet that a significant portion of us have written plenty of code in our lives.

Juice

i love how ram usage = lazy code to some people.

These people are really digging.

Hey guys, guess when the right time to even start *thinking* about optimizing code is:

Answer:
when you encounter a performance bottleneck

A lot of optimizations become routine in one context and simply not necessary in another. We're used to seeing the biggest bottleneck as memory size in today's consoles, but in the next ones, it could just as well be some other attribute. The point is, any optimization is premature until you either experience resistance or are reasonably certain you will.

Going about it any other way, and prematurely optimizing code just for the sake of making it tinier isn't just a waste of time: it can drastically decrease the flexibility if the codebase when a *real* performance issue does arise. Naively written code is always simpler and more readable than optimized code, because optimizations are by their nature not obvious. By optimizing your code, you're in effect trading some degree of ability to easily change the codebase in exchange for some mitigation of a particular performance bottleneck.

If you haven't hit the bottleneck yet, it's not optimizing. It's just making a mess and wasting time.

He literally wrote that The Witness was using 5 GB out of 8 GB available, and people are saying it must be unoptimized? Do you people think Sony put that ram in there so that developers won't use it? "Here's all this ram, but don't you dare use it or else some forum poster will think you're a lazy coder!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom