• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS: Info Collection - Dojo, Mega Man and Trailer! 2014!

fisheyes

Entirely baseless speculation that almost certainly won't happen but will make me look like a genius if it does:

Stage starts off with platforms high in the air, with the ground shown like the screenshot, in that retro style, below. At points, the platforms descend to the ground, through clouds, and at the end of the transition you come out and battle in a section of that map that has been redesigned to look full 3D, and HD. Basically a moving stage blending a retro stage with a new interpretation of it.

Sponge

Banned
If I would take a guess. It might in the background of Mii's stage, Wuhu Island.

Oh right, considering the newest Pilotwings had Miis as characters and all, this could be the stage to represent it.

I could see Wuhu Island or the hub from Nintendo Land working too.

Nibel

How on earth does that work as a stage though? It's so flat.

Maybe it's just a background element; I don't think that the flat map itself will be used as stage, but you'll probably jump around on different platfroms (or planes!) while there is glorious Mode7 goodness in the background

Sponge

Banned
Actually, the more I think about it the more I feel like we'll be fighting above it with platforms.

34919-Pilotwings_%28USA%29-6.jpg

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Oh right, considering the newest Pilotwings had Miis as characters and all, this could be the stage to represent it.

I could see Wuhu Island or the hub from Nintendo Land working too.

I forget to add one thing. That's only if leaked list is true about Mii being in the game.

ash_ag

Sakurai, why do you have to put fires this fine morning? I need to know how this works! Really hoping it's not some bland aerial platforms with this on the background though.

Neiteio

A Pilotwings stage?

A PILOTWINGS STAGE?!

A MUDDAFUKKIN' SNES PILOTWINGS STAGE?!?!?

edge-wrestler-gif.gif

Wrestling_yes.gif

I hearby declare ye BEST SSB ANNOUNCEMENT SINCE WII FIT TRAINER.

This is a foot in the door for Pilotwings MUSIC.

An Assist Trophy of Goose.

A Mecha Hawk stage hazard.

Oh shit.

Oh shit oh shit oh shit.

HOLD ME.

If this stage transitions from SNES to N64 Little States I WILL SHIT BRICKS OF GOLD.

8p0BlQ2.jpg

Yeah, that pic is from PW64 but still... Nostalgiaaaaaaaaa!

Hypeeeeee!

Neiteio

I've always felt that Wuhu Island resembled Holiday Island from Pilotwings 64.

Just replace the mansion with a volcano.
850562-pilotwings64_hx0aew.jpg
PW64 was so immersive to me back in the day. I literally felt cold when I flew up high in the sky. DAT HOWLING WIND.

It still has a mysterious atmosphere to it. :)

MisterHero

PW64 was so immersive to me back in the day. I literally felt cold when I flew up high in the sky. DAT HOWLING WIND.

It still has a mysterious atmosphere to it. :)
It was always rewarding to find hidden areas. Some contained the stars that let you play as Birdman, and others changed the time of day. Exploration was never boring.

I sucked at the hang gliding levels, so unfortunately I never got to use the Jumble hoppers or parachuting bonus games.

RagnarokX

So they're probably using Wuhu Island for the 3DS version. Instead of Pilotwings characters they'll probably have Miis represent it.

They could do some crazy things with this stage; have it made out of flying vehicles, have the platforms disappear and players have to fall and land on a target to get bonuses.

Raitaro

This is probably how it will work

iKlZRRynHJhsj.png

I know I'm in the minority on this, but these kind of stages are exactly what makes me dislike the Smash games aesthetically even though I want to like them (and do like their gameplay overall). Not because of the Pilotwings theme mind you, but becuase of the way in which they implemented that theme (explanation following below).

I can't be the only one who strongly prefers stages that feel grounded in the actual game world (i.e. that are on the actual ground or at the very least feel like part of the game world) and that feature a graphical style that matches the detailed 3D models, right? I mean, floating platforms as stages is one thing, but having them float over a 2D pixelated background that is slanted and doesn't fit the perspective of the platforms no less, is just too much for me.

And yes, I know that earlier games had similar stages (like the Mario 64 one in the original game, which had a horrible slanted perspective in which you looked down on the castle while standing on a floating platform that looked like part of the castle's roof). They must be doing it on purpose then, but I simply can't figure out why. Why not just stick to stages like the Earthbound or DK ones in Melee and Brawl that do have a fitting perspective and an art style that fits the character models (and that don't just consist of floating platforms hanging above a random background drawing)? Either you redraw all the old game aesthetics into 3D or don't redraw any of them I would say.

Sigh, of all the franchises never fully to click with me, it had to be the one that combines two of my three most favorite things: fighting and colorful Nintendo characters. If anybody can explain why they DO like these kind of stages with their seemingly copy and paste aesthetics, please do!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So they're probably using Wuhu Island for the 3DS version. Instead of Pilotwings characters they'll probably have Miis represent it.
Who's to say we have PIlotwing characters at all?

While Wuhu Island is the most likely candidate for a Mii level, they have other homes like the Wara Wara Plaza, Miiverse and all the Streetpass Games.

Top Bottom