• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Smash Bros. DOJO!! is 10 years old

latest

http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/list/old_list01.html

Time sure does fly, right?

This was definitely one of the greatest pre-release marketing for any game. I remember waking up every morning in suspense of what the next unveiling would be.

I definitely loved Smash 4's character trailers, but I also love how Brawl's newcomers were randomly revealed right out of the blue. You wouldn't imagine my face when I woke up on the faithful morning of October 10, 2007 in a drowsy state, only to get online and see the page slowly load while the words "SONIC" appeared....

...and also see "Brawl delayed!" appear, lol.

Still one of my favorite gaming update sites of all time. I remember staying up until 2AM-3AM for a full year waiting for updates and hoping/praying if a new character would be revealed. Awesome stuff.

Onaco

I realized that they updated at 2AM Central Time and stayed up at night waiting. Then sometimes I would stay up and forget it was only updating on weekdays and not Saturday or Sunday.

You wouldn't imagine my face when I woke up on the faithful morning of October 10, 2007 in a drowsy state, only to get online and see the page slowly load while the words "SONIC" appeared....

I would, because I had the exact same situation...

Man, I had crazy FOMO at the time, I woke up really early to see the updates.

Ryce

The Dojo was the best pre-release gaming experience I've ever had. I wish more fighting games were marketed similarly.

I actually went 100% spoiler free for Brawl. Didn't really have internet and never knew about the dojo.

I say it was better seeing Snake and Sonic as challengers approaching for the first time then seeing a screenshot.

Nothing will ever, EVER compare to the absolute fury that was unleashed onto the internet on the day of "You must recover!"

One of the best times I ever had building up to a game. So many insane memories and every day was a major event. That cryptic "This world" update that creeped us all out. Lovingly ribbing the quirky way they translated Sakurai's writing style. Vague wording on Lucas's update making people think Ness was cut. Suddenly dropping amazing music tracks like the legendary Ocarina of Time medley. The blue balls when a new character popped up and we would suddenly realize it was an assist trophy and not a newcomer. The revelation that Sakurai provided the voice of King Dedede. Can't believe it's seriously been that long.

FluxWaveZ

Good times. Would always check the updates before going to school. Was late to school the day Sonic was revealed due to the excitement.

Stopdoor

I remember the Giga Bowser update as a random standout, just felt like anything could be revealed, random music clips, the Subspace Emissary update being black instead of white.

Man. What a hype machine.

Griss

Yeah, it was an incredible way to build excitement. You had to check it every day.

On the down side, I already felt like most of the truly great characters had already been added to the series, so this began the 'dilution' of the quality of the roster. Still, the likes of Pit, Sonic, Diddy and Meta Knight were awesome reveals and additions.

I don't think this kind of site could have that same appeal again.

I'd always check it right before going into school and, before we'd even say hi, my friends and I would immediately give our reaction to whatever the update was.

Man, I feel old.

JordanN

Banned
I was in Grade 9 when the Dojo began.

I would wake up early in the morning to check the website, and report back the news at the start of class.

That site was amazing. I remember going with my brother to see what new news would show up and freaking out over sonic in smash. That site is what made the wait for Smash bros brawl infuriating.

Fandangox

Seing Sonic pop there out of nowhere was really something. That said, I prefer Smash 4 approach with the character trailers and deconfirming Takamaru a la dojo style.

Zareka

Holy crap I totally forgot about this site. I'd visit it every single day to see what they'd have up next. Hell I'm pretty sure this was before my family had a PC and I'd head on over to the public library JUST to get on it.

As a long time Sonic fan, I can't describe how hype I was when he was announced. I couldn't contain myself.

I used to wake up at 5AM every day to watch Pokemon on YTV, but later that changed to me waking up at 5AM so I could check the Dojo and then chat about it on GameFAQs before going to school.

I'll never forget how I woke up the entire house because of how much I freaked out when Sonic was revealed. Yeah, it was delayed the same day which stung really bad, but man, after years of being a massive Sonic fanboy, watching Newgrounds flashes and waging forum wars about it, Sonic VS Mario was finally real! I didn't care!

Torokil

Still the most hyped I've ever been for a game. I remember the night Sonic was announced on the website.

The Wii U updates just weren't the same - no random new challengers out of nowhere.

God

It meant the world to me that Sonic was in Smash. That summer(or fall) morning was magical. In the end I hardly used him and mained Kirby. lol

Loved the Dojo, even if it eventually made the final experience of Brawl much worse for how insurmountably-high it brought hype levels to. Nothing is ever likely to be quite like it again.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I had a hundred times more fun keeping up with the Dojo Updates than I did with the game that spawned it.

There were days I'd stay up until 2am or so to see what the next reveal was always hoping it'd be a new character. So many disappointed nights when it was just an item reveal.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Man, the DOJO was the best. Had me looking forward to the weekdays. We need something like that for the next Smash Bros.

Top Bottom