• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Smash Bros. DOJO!! is 10 years old

Moondrop

Banned
Fuck this shit. I've never participated in a greater hype-pocalypse than checking the Dojo every day for months only to be rewarded with... Brawl.

Metal B

If they announce Smash Bros for Switch, i hope, they make a small DOJO for all the little changes until the release.

NoKisum

DAMN IT!!

The title of the thread suggests a new Smash Bros game. LOL

Hmm, that could make a good name for the next non-port game, if Sakurai is up for doing another one.

I honestly wouldn't blame him if he officially calls it quits on the series after 4.

It was an amazing time, for sure. I had no way of checking for the update at 3 AM, so I'd go to the middle school library first thing in the morning. It's usually closed at the time, but I remember the librarian letting me in early because I helped put books on the shelf. Of course the first thing I'd do when I got there was hop on one of the computers and check the update.

I don't know if I was ever that excited for a game. It's kinda sad. Smash 4 is great and all, but I played each Smash Bros. iteration less and less than its predecessor. I'm sure it's just the result of growing up, but it still makes me a little sad. The jump from 64 to Melee was just huge and I'm not sure what else Smash can add from here to get my attention.

V-Faction

F-FLAB!!

Wonderful checking it early morning in the campus library before classes/work.

It's already been stated, but Pokemon Trainer WAS. THE. HYPEST. SHIT. Stuff like Diddy and Olimar reveals were cool, but one could see their inclusion as realistic, earnest, and even a little on-the-nose. Pokemon Trainer was like BSSSHHHWAUUUHT?!? You get to control 3 Pokemon!? (for my money, squirtle is the strongest Pokemon).

Yukinari

When pokemon trainer was revealed and /v/ exploded with posts about Red and pokemon.

The dojo gave us great hype we cant recapture these days.

Legit would check the sight everyday. Man. That Sonic reveal. That first online test play. Those stages. Glory days of 10th grade.

Those were fun times. Checked every day to see what was updated, even though most of the time it wasn't all that much. I'd have to say the most exciting thing for me was Pokemon Trainer, since I hadn't even thought o that. I mean, pretty much everyone else I had seen speculated, including Red as a standalone fighter, but not three Pokemon being switched by a trainer. I kind of wonder if he got completely scrapped from Smash 4 due to the handheld version not being able to deal with too many switching mechanics, or if it was just the design decision to not include that anymore which meant only Charizard got to carry over.

Thinking about it though, Brawl really did add a lot. I think it gets looked on unfairly sometimes, though I won't deny that Melee felt better even from my only slightly competitive point of view.

sphinx

the piano man
All I know is that the guy in charge of the official thread was hyped as fuck for like years, really like an unhealthy Obsession.

When the game finally came out he ended up hating it.

Tragic story :(

Man I was in middle school back then. Me and my little brother lived for this websites updates. Can't think of a single game that had more hype than Brawl, because of this website.

"CONFIRMED FOR BRAWL" is still my favorite go-to obscure line that 98% of people in my life don't get when somebody asks about the certainty of something occurring.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
All I know is that the guy in charge of the official thread was hyped as fuck for like years, really like an unhealthy Obsession.

When the game finally came out he ended up hating it.

Tragic story :(

People were calling Super Paper Mario [thread=147799]the second coming of Christ[/thread].

There's nothing more tragic than that.

L00P

Guys, remember this?

Resurrecting this legend for the current generation is something we can all enjoy just a bit.

assist10_071018f-l.jpg

He is an Assist Trophy.

ubiblu

I followed these updates religiously, not missing a single day. The website itself stands as a testament to simple, yet beautiful UI design.

People were calling Super Paper Mario [thread=147799]the second coming of Christ[/thread].

There's nothing more tragic than that.

LOL, wow...

Guys, remember this?

Resurrecting this legend for the current generation is something we can all enjoy just a bit.

assist10_071018f-l.jpg

He is an Assist Trophy.

I already heard he was an Assist Trophy from the *E for All previews, so I wasn't fooled.

*Speaking of which, anyone else remember that? I think people only cared about it for the Brawl coverage, lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Speaking of assists. It was kind of funny how many fake rumours form apparent play sessions were going around at the time. Rosalina as an assist was a common one.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Jan 21 2019 would be 20th anniversary for Smash Bros franchise, so it would be cool if they release Smash for Switch in early 2018, and finishing it up with new DLC characters on Jan 21, 2019.

I seriously doubt it would happens anyway (the latter one)

Speaking of assists. It was kind of funny how many fake rumours form apparent play sessions were going around at the time. Rosalina as an assist was a common one.

Rosalina, Duster, and few more.

I remember the rumor about Chucky Kong for Smash 4 demo.

L Thammy

I remember people trying to figure out why Sakurai hated Starfy so much. Which is kind of silly, because obviously Starfy sent Sakurai to prison so that he could steal Sakurai's wife.

Best one was when Brawl Central said "Barbara the Sheep" from Animal Crossing was an Assist Trophy and it turned out to be Barbara the Bat.

Actually, I think that site made up stuff like saying Ness would appear in the background of Onett.

Rosalina, Duster, and few more.

I distinctly recall some Fire Emblem ones (Sothe and a generic Pegasus Knight).

Man, I remember following this daily all throughout the summer, getting hyped about every update on the Wii Lobby/GB on IGN...

damn time flies.

woopWOOP

I'll never forget the pages mocking Ganondorf, lol

One of the best things to look forward to every early morning. And even if the update was a smaller deal like an item or BGM preview, there was still enjoyment to be had from all the angry disappointed comments from people who stayed up until 3AM for this

emb

At one point I thought it would be fun to map out the sequence of updates to look for patterns. Even in younger years, I already knew there wouldn't be patterns, but I kept this anyway:

In retrospect, I'm really surprised I just left character reveals and character move showcases as the same color.

nickgia

Brawl was probably the game I was most hyped to play in my life and the Dojo was a huge part of it.

Then I played Brawl...

In retrospect, I think the people who claimed they saw Rosalina mistook Gardevoir for her. It was during the E for All demos and I remember people describing Rosalina's effect and it was the same as what Gardevoir's ended up being. In the heat of the moment on an SD screen in a crowded room, they look vaguely similar, so I could see the mistake being easy to make.

Sakurai actually posted one of my screenshots I submitted.

It's the one titled "Go Slippy," on pg. 3 at this link: http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/gamemode/etc/etc03.html

Hey, that's pretty awesome.

The thing I always remember finding funny about those photo contests was NOA putting up a message sternly asking people to stop sending them pictures of Peach's underpants. The idea that it was that bad a problem for them was hilarious to me.

Not

Banned
Oh wow

It's been ten years

I checked it every day. That year of updates, along with the IGN threads, was a better experience than the whole of Super Smash Bros Brawl as a game.

Nothing. NOTHING was hyper than that October morning of Sonic. Out of nowhere.

vareon

The mini-community that spawned in the Dojo thread was the best. I remember Crushed and that guy who kept track of EVERYTHING in the dojo.

I was in senior year during the Dojo. I had programming class early in the morning with my friends, so we'd all check the Dojo

The Sonic day... was an experience.

I remember when I saw the announcement of Waluigi. I was so excited since he was my go-to for all Mario Party and sports games and I was finally going to get my Mario/Luigi/Wario/Waluigi free for all.

....and then I saw the words "Assist Trophy"...

I remember seeing sonic and thinking mega man is next right??? Still a hyped time for me and loved brawl. Even did the midnight release.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Dojo was something from its time...

...but honestly I enjoyed Pic of the Day more, if only because social media has become mainstream by then. We see mental meltdowns due to late posting live.

Top Bottom