• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KojiPro aiming at 60fps for next-gen versions of MGSV

antitrop

I honestly never expected this open embrace of 60fps on consoles.

Never in a million years.

Obviously I couldn't be happier to have been wrong.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber

It's mostly cross gen titles where they have this crazy new extra freedom so its practically free. As games are tailored for just next gen and start hitting horsepower walls rest assured framerate will be the first thing to be sacrificed for prettier still photo visuals.

Izick

I haven't seen a single thing I dislike about this game besides him not including Hayter, and I think there are some...um, more intricate reasons for that. Even if there aren't though, that's really the only thing I don't totally love about this game, and I still respect Kojima's vision.

It's looking more and more like I'm not going to buy a next-gen console soon, so I might be relegated to the PS360 version.

So what they've shown so far is current-gen specs? :O

Wait, what was the trailer running at? Can we tell?

Kydd BlaZe

My goodness. I have never been this ready for next gen. I'm absolutely loving the 60 fps movement that seems to be taking these consoles by storm.

antitrop

It's mostly cross gen titles where they have this crazy new extra freedom so its practically free. As games are tailored for just next gen and start hitting horsepower walls rest assured framerate will be the first thing to be sacrificed for prettier still photo visuals.
Yes, I do expect to see a lot of ~20-25fps games at the end of the next-generation, just like the current gen, and the last gen.

It's inevitable.

I don't think we saw quite this same push to achieve 60fps at the beginning of this generation, though.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Yes, I do expect to see a lot of ~20-25fps games at the end of the next-generation, just like the current gen, and the last gen.

It's inevitable.

It'll be much, much sooner than "late" in the gen. Sadly.

RedSwirl

Well Kojima has always preferred 60fps. Back when the MGS HD collection came out he talked about how bummed he used to be over having to go 30fps with MGS3 on the PS2 and made a big deal out of how the HD version would run at 60.

raven777

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain's E3 presentation was "more tuned to current generation," Kojima said, in terms of the game's models and textures.

can't wait to see the full next-gen version.

antitrop

It'll be much, much sooner than "late" in the gen. Sadly.
Nah, I think the vast majority games will be able to maintain a locked 30 at least until the very end of the gen.

What I'm talking about is truly abysmal shit like Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3 that are literally unplayable to frame-rate sensitive types on consoles.
That will happen again at the end of the next gen. It always does.

Hopefully the next generation doesn't last 8 years, though. That could change and hopefully we can avoid situations quite as bad as the two games I listed above.

So does this confirm that what we've seen was footage of the current-gen versions? Incredible. This is going to be amazing, hopefully we can have a simultaneous release unlike the inevitable GTAV nextgen, which will force many to purchase twice.

synce

lol He's still trying to make people believe the PS3 can run what he's showing... That said, if MGS5 is currently a PS3.5 game I'm eager to see what PS4 will look like. And yay for 60fps, not since MGS2...

Espada

Holy crap. MGS5 @ 60fps would make me get a PS4 as soon as possible. This is great news, especially for someone like me who was doubting the frequency of 60 fps titles this gen. This game just keeps on giving and giving and it's nowhere near release.

benzy said:
So what they've shown so far is current-gen specs? :O

The game has to run on current gen consoles as a baseline, and he wants to use the extra power of the PS4/XBone to crank up the framerate to 60fps in the next gen versions.

UrbanRats

ibnwevQe1dTMqg.jpg

RedSwirl

I don't know. This seems to be true for a lot of the games that are targeting next gen as well. Battlefield 4 is supposedly 1080p and 60fps and I can definitely tell you they're targeting next gen with that game. Same goes for Titanfall most likely. I would also argue that Call of Duty Ghosts is targeting next gen (I don't care what anyone says, that game still looks like a huge visual leap over MW3). Halo 5 is also going to be 60 -- they cam on stage and made an announcement out of it.

Qassim

This is really great, but I won't get used to it. Seems likely that this is just for the cross generation stuff, and developers will start dropping to 30 for extra fidelity in a year or two.

I don't know. This seems to be true for a lot of the games that are targeting next gen as well. Battlefield 4 is supposedly 1080p and 60fps and I can definitely tell you they're targeting next gen with that game.

Pretty sure Battlefield 4 is still a PS3/360 title too. Wait until they're no longer catering to those consoles. Although you have a good point with Halo, hoping stuff like that is just a change in priorities - 60fps is just better.

Izick

Holy shit Batzi was right about this being current-gen. EVERYONE gave him/her flack about this in the MGSV thread. Everyone

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Seeing all thee games announced this week targeting 60 FPS makes me want to cry manly gamer tear of blissful joy. I never expected this....

Holy shit Batzi was right about this being current-gen. EVERYONE gave him/her flack about this in the MGSV thread. Everyone

Take a bow, Batzi. Never would have believed.

Also fuck yeah at 60FPS. I am absolutely loving this new trend for next-gen.

PTG

The past 6 months or so I've noticed a lot of momentum building from gamers for 1080p/60fps on next-gen consoles. Seems like the platform holders, publishers, and developers are taking heed to the message.

Does anybody else get that Dreamcast feeling after seeing how good Sony is doing things and the ridiculous amount of 60FPS games we´re getting?

Can´t wait to see the current gen in action.

I can expect 1080p 60fps for PS4, but what about the Xbox One? Aren't its specs inferior in every-way, bar the infinite power of the cloud.

I was also telling people that the version they showed is just the console assets upresd to 1080p running 60fps. Judging by the up close low-res textures(hair) and the amount of DITHERING. More ram should allow for high-res textures.

Fuck yes!!! Can't wait to see proper next gen footage.

Does anybody else get that Dreamcast feeling after seeing how good Sony is doing things and the ridiculous amount of 60FPS games we´re getting?

Can´t wait to see the current gen in action.
Only some of the feeling. What made the Dreamcast unique is Sega's games and franchises.

StuBurns

Banned
I can expect 1080p 60fps for PS4, but what about the Xbox One? Aren't its specs inferior in every-way, bar the infinite power of the cloud.
They almost certainly wouldn't ship one version at sixty and one at thirty, so I imagine resolution is what takes a hit. Maybe it's full 1080p on PS4, anamorphic 1080p on XBO, it's not going to be some huge difference.

szaromir

Banned
Well, let's wait and see what's the consumer response to the games running at 60fps (and those at 30fps). A sizable number of 60fps are the best selling games out there even on current-gen consoles, and on next-gen 60fps can look 'good enough' to an even bigger extent.

Krilekk

Banned

Well, it's basically free. Almost all the games we are seeing are built for current gen. Give them 8x the power and higher resolution/fps is the cheapest benefit you can have.

Top Bottom