• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World still locked to 8 way movement

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Just heard about this from the Bombcast and it's a super bummer that this game still has the same 8 way movement from 3D Land.

Why would Nintendo do this? Why not allow full analogue control?

DaBoss

Because it worked fine in 3D Land and is pretty much more precise IMO.

You would barely notice it in 3D Land.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Good. It makes walking straight lines easier. 100% okay with this.

CLEEK

Just heard about this from the Bombcast and it's a super bummer that this game still has the same 8 way movement from 3D Land.

Why would Nintendo do this? Why not allow full analogue control?

Surely that was obvious? How else could the players 2-4 control it with a Wiimote if it required analogue controls?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This is not at all what I wanted out of a new console 3D Mario. :-(

Anteo

Im ok with this. 3d land pkayed great becausr of this. Plus the number of ppsible angles varied from stage to stage

Neiteio

It worked extremely well in 3D Land. Something about it was super-tight and precise, and the levels seemed perfectly suited to it. I have no worries about it here. If there's one thing Nintendo gets right, it's controls.

This is just what I wanted.

I am done with the galaxy look for awhile. People complain when nintendo rehashes?

a third game like galaxy is a rehash right now

Madness

This is what I meant with my comparison post when I showed Sunshine, Galaxy and then 3D World. Someone said it looks so better, but I said it's limited.

There isn't open world, free movement.

I love Nintendo but anyone can see how they're limiting themselves with their games. I think it's just because they are pretty far behind in terms of the scope/scale required of massive AAA games.

How is playing in small segmented areas a step up from the massive world's of Sunshine and Galaxy?

This is what I meant with my comparison post when I showed Sunshine, Galaxy and then 3D World. Someone said it looks so better, but I said it's limited.

There isn't open world, free movement.

I love Nintendo but anyone can see how they're limiting themselves with their games. I think it's just because they are pretty far behind in terms of the scope/scale required of massive AAA games.

How is playing in small segmented areas a step up from the massive world's of Sunshine and Galaxy?

3D World will probably have as much "open world, free movement" as the Galaxy games did (especially 2)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The game is designed around it so it's not a problem for me. Nor is a run button.

Why is this a problem? The previous Nintendo controllers all had the analogue input where the pad is, so now they're accommodating for it in the controls. The games are all clearly made with it in mind, why is it an issue now?

Nerokis

Do people just want 360 degree movement out of principle or what?

I think it's more that this implies certain things about the overall design, and it's jarring against usual expectations of what a 3D Mario constitutes.

This news isn't surprising, though, given what we knew about 3D World already.

Top Bottom