• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World still locked to 8 way movement

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
People keep referencing Galaxy as a vast open world, but Galaxy in most stages merely displays vast open vistas.

Its design is pretty much where 3D Land was going: linear, tightly focused. Hell, many Galaxy stages are 2D platformers locked to a side view. It seems at the moment Nintendo is interested in refining a hybrid 2D/3D platforming experience.

God damn, Nintendo. You INVENTED the 3D platformer with Mario 64. How could you fuck this up?

It's not a fuck up. It's a design paradigm.

Horseshit. You're thinking of the small meteor to meteor Galaxy levels. Not the big open fully explorable Mario 64 style levels.

Did you play the same Super Mario Galaxy games that I did? Much of the game was linear and the sequel was especially so. There certainly were remnants of the 64 style explorable levels (like Honeyhive Galaxy, for example), but there's been less and less of those in every game since 64 (the FLUDDless levels in Sunshine, too, were linear - ironically also thought of as the best part of the game). Acting as if Galaxy was on the same level as 64 or even Sunshine is disingenuous.

because all of the rumors of it being 3d land 2 bumped to wii u are true
Not sure really; the co-op, which is the main advantage of the console, is 'awesome'.

Is that why people were complaining about "non-fluid" controls like galaxy?

wow that sucks ass
Apparently a lot of people haven't actually played the game here. The control is 'much' tighter than SMG, I could tell this even being handicapped; no matter how praise people throw at SMG, control and camera certainly could be improved.

Probably due to the fact that it needs to support the shitty Wii mote.
Still a better d-pad than [name almost any other console]

---
I understand why people are so jaded, but I suspect most of you will change your mind after playing the game, it's great.

People keep referencing Galaxy as a vast open world, but Galaxy in most stages merely displays vast open vistas.

Its design is pretty much where 3D Land was going: linear, tightly focused. Hell, many Galaxy stages are 2D platformers locked to a side view. It seems at the moment Nintendo is interested in refining a hybrid 2D/3D platforming experience.

Right. This is basically the next step in the evolution of the 3D Mario series. It's been a long time coming and gradual steps have been taken in nearly every game since 64 to come to this style of gameplay.

Why not have 2 control schemes then?

Because if the 3D stages are based around the player only having deliberate eight-directional movement, giving the player the option to use full analog control would break the game to some degree. If they were going to balance the game around analog movement, they would have made it the default.

The Boat

Horseshit. You're thinking of the small meteor to meteor Galaxy levels. Not the big open fully explorable Mario 64 style levels.

The reason he's not thinking about the big open fully explorable Mario 64 style levels in Galaxy is because they don't exist.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Did you play the same Super Mario Galaxy games that I did? Much of the game was linear and the sequel was especially so. There certainly were remnants of the 64 style explorable levels (like Honeyhive Galaxy, for example), but there's been less and less of those in every game since 64 (the FLUDDless levels in Sunshine, too, were linear - ironically also thought of as the best part of the game). Acting as if Galaxy was on the same level as 64 or even Sunshine is disingenuous.

You think there's going to be something like Honeyhive in Super Mario World 3D?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
This is isn't working with the 3D LAND I had in mind.
Probably is running on the 3DS engine.

OH, damn...

Hopefully not.

The big open levels were almost always the worst in Galaxy 1 and 2. Beach Bowl was the exception.

EDIT: Not Beach Bowl, the one that was Beach Bowl-esque in Galaxy 2, with Yoshi and the peppers and silver stars.

Pikma

Banned
I know people love to complain about Nintendo's decisions, including me, but this is one of the biggest non-issues I've ever read about. 3D Land controls were as tighter as ever. Also, smh at the people who dismiss 3D Land just for being a handheld game and dismiss 3D World for being a sequel of it...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I played 3D Land to completion and I didn't even know this was a thing.

Non-issue.

Agreed. Anybody who played 3D Land will know this is a complete non-issue.

This is isn't working with the 3D LAND I had in mind.
Probably is running on the 3DS engine.

OH, damn...
The 3DS game can probably be thought of as the proof of concept version of this game.

And 3D Land was awesome. Fixed camera and locked to 8 way movement == who cares? It's not Galaxy. It's not Mario 64. That's not a bad thing.

Honeyhive Galaxy is hardly an open world level anyway (it's just moreso than the other levels in Galaxy), but yeah, I do. Especially with the cat suit which allows for verticality which was a big aspect of Honeyhive Galaxy with the Bee Suit.

magnetic

Why not have 2 control schemes then?

The level design in 3D Land was a lot more angular than 64/Sunshine/Galaxy, I assume it's similar in World. Being that it is supposed to be a 3D game with the "feel" of a 2D Mario title (run button and everything) it absolutely makes sense.

It's like asking why Monster Hunter doesn't have lock-on or healthbars - it's simply the way the game is designed.

Nintendo didn't make it full analogue because they are idiots, but because it's an intentional design choice.

casmith07

Just heard about this from the Bombcast and it's a super bummer that this game still has the same 8 way movement from 3D Land.

Why would Nintendo do this? Why not allow full analogue control?

Because it was originally intended to be the sequel to Super Mario 3D Land and they panicked and up-ported it for the Wii U.

That's my honest guess, too, not even trying to troll. When I saw the video during the direct and saw the title, I swore up and down it was for 3DS and was excited for WiFi multiplayer.

Chopper

Whilst I sort of understand that this troubles some people, it has literally never been a problem in any previous Nintendo game ever. Don't worry about it.

Ah well, I'll just wait for the eventual Super Mario Universe, mid-cycle.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. This is the direction they've been heading with 3D Mario for the last 3 games.

Because it was originally intended to be the sequel to Super Mario 3D Land and they panicked and up-ported it for the Wii U.

That's my honest guess, too, not even trying to troll. When I saw the video during the direct and saw the title, I swore up and down it was for 3DS and was excited for WiFi multiplayer.

Have you watched the Developer Direct? This is Directly contradicted.

The Boat

Honeyhive, Gold Leaf, Beach Bowl, Sea Slide...

Not to mention a direct recreation of SM64's Whomp's Fortress was in the sequel.

Asides from Whomp for obvious reasons, none of these levels is even remotely as open and exploration focused as 64's levels.

Agreed. Anybody who played 3D Land will know this is a complete non-issue.

3D Land doesn't have 8 way movement though, it's... kind of weird. Changes in stickyness depending on the situation but I think it's 16 way normally.

Of course a 3DWorld player might only have a dpad to control it so it may be more restrictive.

Yado

This is what I meant with my comparison post when I showed Sunshine, Galaxy and then 3D World. Someone said it looks so better, but I said it's limited.

There isn't open world, free movement.

I love Nintendo but anyone can see how they're limiting themselves with their games. I think it's just because they are pretty far behind in terms of the scope/scale required of massive AAA games.

How is playing in small segmented areas a step up from the massive world's of Sunshine and Galaxy?

A step in a different direction than what you expected is not a step backwards.

DaBoss

3D Land doesn't have 8 way movement though, it's... kind of weird. Changes in stickyness depending on the situation but I think it's 16 way normally.

It is 8-way movement. You just won't notice it unless you actually try to change the direction Mario faces while he stands still.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
The 3DS game can probably be thought of as the proof of concept version of this game.

And 3D Land was awesome. Fixed camera and locked to 8 way movement == who cares? It's not Galaxy. It's not Mario 64. That's not a bad thing.

We (me) wanted something akin to Mario 64, maybe next e3. I'll be buying this regardless.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Hopefully not.

The big open levels were almost always the worst in Galaxy 1 and 2. Beach Bowl was the exception.

Then enjoy Super Mario Diorama 3D!

I pray the rest of the world disagrees with you and this game bombs like the emergency 3DS port/bandaid it appears to be.

Morts

I remember this being a big kerfuffle before 3D Land came out, then I didn't even notice when I played it. Not that big of a deal, guys.

tkscz

Oh no, I can't walk by slightly tilting the analog stick. Honestly don't see the issue here. If the game barely has a reason for walking, then I don't see a point in needing full analog control.

Berordn

Super Mario 64 DS. Shit was awful.

SM64DS didn't bother me specifically but it was pretty obvious that the digital controls in it were a pretty undesirable compromise.

The levels here will be at least designed with this in mind, like 3D Land.

Top Bottom