• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: "We just don't care what other companies are doing"

Speaking to CNN:
In an interview this week for CNN, Iwata admitted the company made missteps with the introduction of the Wii U. But he remains convinced a strong lineup of upcoming Wii U software will get gamers excited about the living-room console.

He just needs them to play it.

"We just don't care too much about what other companies are doing or are trying to do," he said. "Our primary focus is to think about and actually carry out something which other company's hardware can never realize. We are trying to provide consumers gaming experiences that can only be available on Nintendo platforms.

"Software sells hardware,
" he added. "The number of hardware selling and the number of people who can experience the unique attractions of the Wii U are going to increase, and thereby the knowledge and the understanding about the Wii U system shall naturally expand."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/13/tech/gaming-gadgets/nintendo-e3/index.html?hpt=te_t1

Provide everything people get on the other platforms, then make Nintendo games for it... Something other company's hardware can never realize.

hatchx

Banned
I think when he says 'other companies' he was referring to Microsoft, Sony, and maybe Apple. Leading hardware manufacturers.

I can see how this will be taken out of context, and I see a thousand posts incoming.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
DDsftak.jpg

A karting game, multiplayer 3d platformer, 2.5d platformer and Gamecube action adventure port are all completely suited to PS4 and Xbone's control systems and hardware.

Maybe not paying attention to the market you exist in is the reason you're gone in March, Mr Iwata.

Good for you, Iwata. Guess what: Gamers do care about what those other companies are doing, and they don't care about what you are doing.

I don't mind Nintendo's existence in the industry -- in fact I applaud it.

But make some goddamn games for your goddamn console that aren't 18th iterations of established franchises. I own a Wii U for Smash, Bayonetta, and Zelda at this point. We'll see about Mario.

I'd like to own it for far more.

Coolwhip

Banned
Good for you, Iwata. Guess what: Gamers do care about what those other companies are doing, and they don't care about what you are doing.

I see a trend in your posts.

Nintendo should keep this attitude, the day Nintendo will try to copy Sony, MS or whatever company that arises in the gamin field is the day Nintendo stops being Nintendo.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
You really should care. Not to say copy them, but saying "we don't care" about what they're doing comes across as being kind of ignoring of the current landscape. Reminds me of old Palm CEO saying he never used an iPhone.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm sure he does, he just thinks it's good PR to pretend he doesn't, he might well be right. I wish someone would make a thread about the different PR directions the three are taking, it's fascinating to watch.

Funshine

Neo Member
I think when he says 'other companies' he was referring to Microsoft, Sony, and maybe Apple. Leading hardware manufacturers.

I can see how this will be taken out of context, and I see a thousand posts incoming.

what else would he be talking about? lol

It's one thing to go your own path. That's cool.

But an HD system came out in 2005. Now in 2013, Nintendo is struggling to develop games because they didn't realize that they'd go through the same growing pains that the rest of the industry did 8 years ago. Maybe they should at least pay attention to what's going on.

Iwata said:
Those people who have already purchased the Wii U and are enjoying Wii U, they have already realized the value of the Wii U,

Um... No. Talk to me when Pikmin's out.

Sure you don't care, Iwata. That's why Nintendo is now struggling to adapt itself to HD development, to bring an acceptable online system and to get third-party support.

You never really cared. Once again here comes his "unique gaming experiences" excuses for his directions which made Nintendo to face the problems they're currently and made the company bleed money for two years in a row.

Fuck off, Iwata. It's time for you to leave, you made enough damage to Nintendo already.

Heretic

I love Nintendo and Nintendo games but sometimes you have to go the way the current is going. It sucks that 3rd party support is so poor. Hopefully their games can keep them afloat.

hatchx

Banned
Sure you don't care, Iwata. That's why Nintendo is now struggling to adapt itself to HD development, to bring an acceptable online system and to get third-party support.

You never really cared. Once again here comes his "unique gaming experiences" excuses for his directions which made Nintendo to face the problems they're currently and made the company bleed money for two years in a row.

Fuck off, Iwata. It's time for you to leave, you made enough damage to Nintendo already.

Can we atleast give the guy until Christmas? Give me him one more chance, he's so cute.

Vodh

Our primary focus is to think about and actually carry out something which other company's hardware can never realize.

This sounds like an excellent point until you realize that the only reason 'other company's hardware can never realize' those games is because Nintendo won't port them. It would have been a very accurate statement if it referred to the Wii back in the day, but with regards to Wii-U it's a stretch. Unless of course the Mario Kart, Mario World Whatever and the other big games coming to Wii-U make use of the Wii-mote and the touchscreen controller in any major way, I don't really know that so it might be the case after all.

This strategy worked for 3ds after a really slow start, theres nothing stopping the wii u doing the same.

However, some software just wouldn't be possible without appropriate hardware even though i agree. Software > hardware. This is being proven so far for the x1/ps4, I was happy with last gen until I saw what can be done on the next home consoles.

1080p/60fps, open worlds everywhere.

I see a trend in your posts.

Nintendo should keep this attitude, the day Nintendo will try to copy Sony, MS or whatever company that arises in the gamin field is the day Nintendo stops being Nintendo.

It's a good attitude to have in some respects. However, the wii u second screen gimmick was clearly not the design choice to lead to success. Whether iwata likes it or not, we have another gamecube on our hands ... but, with even less third party support, and right now, nintendos policies aren't helping.

PusherT

I get the sense that people want Nintendo to become a "follower" when infact conforming and following is not in Nintendo DNA. Nintendo will die before they reform and become a clone.

Top Bottom