• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: "We just don't care what other companies are doing"

With regards to MS, that's a good thing.

I get the sense that people want Nintendo to become a "follower" when infact conforming and following is not in Nintendo DNA. Nintendo will die before they reform and become a clone.

The controllers they are using now are clones of the dualshock.

Sure you don't care, Iwata. That's why Nintendo is now struggling to adapt itself to HD development, to bring an acceptable online system and to get third-party support.

You never really cared. Once again here comes his "unique gaming experiences" excuses for his directions which made Nintendo to face the problems they're currently and made the company bleed money for two years in a row.

Fuck off, Iwata. It's time for you to leave, you made enough damage to Nintendo already.

Why are you upset? Despite the fact that Iwata is in charge, you do understand that Nintendo is not just one man, and there are many, MANY other people who are responsible for Nintendo's direction, including investors and shareholders?

I love how he's the scapegoat for everything.

gogogow

Sure you don't care, Iwata. That's why Nintendo is now struggling to adapt itself to HD development, to bring an acceptable online system and to get third-party support.

You never really cared. Once again here comes his "unique gaming experiences" excuses for his directions which made Nintendo to face the problems they're currently and made the company bleed money for two years in a row.

Fuck off, Iwata. It's time for you to leave, you made enough damage to Nintendo already.

The thread title is inaccurate.
Iwata does care, he said: "We just don't care too much about what other companies are doing or are trying to do." It just means they won't copy what others are doing. Mostly in terms of standard controllers and/or as high spec as the competitors.

And what Sony/MS exec needs to fuck off? They have been bleeding for way more years and for way more money which they will most likely not make back for many years to come.

This strategy worked for 3ds after a really slow start, theres nothing stopping the wii u doing the same.

However, some software just wouldn't be possible without appropriate hardware even though i agree. Software > hardware. This is being proven so far for the x1/ps4, I was happy with last gen until I saw what can be done on the next home consoles.

1080p/60fps, open worlds everywhere.

Plus the price cut, of course.

1) Of course they care what the competition are doing. They likely shit a brick at the PS4 price announcement.

2) I have no idea why people think it would be a good thing for a company to be highly insular.

Elija2

DDsftak.jpg

A karting game, multiplayer 3d platformer, 2.5d platformer and Gamecube action adventure port are all completely suited to PS4 and Xbone's control systems and hardware.

Maybe not paying attention to the market you exist in is the reason you're gone in March, Mr Iwata.

This. They're not even trying to figure out a good use for the GamePad, let alone anything that would actually improve gameplay. And the only real benefit it has, off-TV play, is also possible on the PS4 with the Vita.

Surely in order to do the opposite of what those other companies are doing, you have to look at what they're doing to make sure you're not doing it...

This. They're not even trying to figure out a good use for the GamePad, let alone anything that would actually improve gameplay. And the only real benefit it has, off-TV play, is also possible on the PS4 with the Vita.

3DS should have been able to do Off-TV for Wii U... but it's only at 240p, so :/

And only has one analog stick.

Dartastic

1) Of course they care what the competition are doing. They likely shit a brick at the PS4 price announcement.

2) I have no idea why people think it would be a good thing for a company to be highly insular.
This. From a business sense ignoring your direct competition is the dumbest thing you could ever do.

This strategy worked for 3ds after a really slow start, theres nothing stopping the wii u doing the same.

However, some software just wouldn't be possible without appropriate hardware even though i agree. Software > hardware. This is being proven so far for the x1/ps4, I was happy with last gen until I saw what can be done on the next home consoles.

1080p/60fps, open worlds everywhere.
Nothing except reality. It's becoming increasingly obvious that this isn't going to happen.

XenodudeX

What a fucking drama queen. Go take a nap, you're embarrassing yourself.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I have no idea why people think it would be a good thing for a company to be highly insular.

With games like Pikmin 3, Super Luigi U and Mario 3D World launching without online multiplayer, the only way some people can cope is to declare not having those now expected features as a stubborn badge of pride.

"Nintendo gonna Nintendo, and we love them for it!!"

Bombadil

Banned

It worked for Apple.

Being insular means you don't fall for every stupid fad that is out there. You focus on your own craft and if people are smart enough to appreciate it, they will come.

Unfortunately, the mob is filled with people who say "day one" to games like The Division or Titanfall and gladly bend over to be fucked in the ass with anti-consumer policies. They slobber over half-assed games like Forza 5 because "it's still going to be worth it." Yeah, right.

Nintendo quietly announces their games without making a big stink. And they're good games. Even the people who claim to be disappointed by what they saw in Nintendo's showing admit that the games will be great, and even amazing. "But if only it were grander. If only Mario was diving headfirst into a quasar!" Idiots.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Yep, not caring about what the competition is doing is how we got friend codes and shitty online / basically no online from Nintendo.

DDsftak.jpg

A karting game, multiplayer 3d platformer, 2.5d platformer and Gamecube action adventure port are all completely suited to PS4 and Xbone's control systems and hardware.

Maybe not paying attention to the market you exist in is the reason you're gone in March, Mr Iwata.
Gamepad was designed firstly and foremost for off-tv usage, as stated by Iwata; your post doesn't make any sense when putting this into consideration.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Unfortunately, they also don't care about what fans tell them they want.

#Region-Free #ReprintXenoblade #UpdatesonFEZELDASMT #MARIOSUNSHINE2

Why are you upset? Despite the fact that Iwata is in charge, you do understand that Nintendo is not just one man, and there are many, MANY other people who are responsible for Nintendo's direction, including investors and shareholders?

I love how he's the scapegoat for everything.

Iwata itself is one of Nintendo's shareholders. He holds 5,600 shares.

What a fucking drama queen. Go take a nap, you're embarrassing yourself.

I'm not the only one who wants Iwata out, so take that back.

Scum

I always love it when Nintendo staff/execs have their say on what's what in this industry and their company, for different reasons altogether.
5YRcF.gif
5YRcF.gif

Delstius

If he speak about hardware innovation he's basically right seeing as MS & Sony are just copying of Nintendo on motion gaming and 2nd screen use.

PhantomR

Banned

rolleyes.gif

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Kotaku: Nintendo Doesn't Care

Sophia

Hmm... one one hand there's benefit to having a unique approach on the market. On the other hand, even the actual quote from Iwata reeks a bit of Hubris. :\

DrWong

Ah ah, amazing, so much psychotic posts in this thread. Iwata is helping some dudes to externalize the hate.

You say this as if no other company in the industry struggled with the transition to HD.

nintendo is a tradition.

as long as they continue to produce quality games, even if it's mario 6d world 10.

Nintendo is bit a like home cooking. You have it every day, and yet, if you don't, you would miss it.

Yado

Why?
Dude, you don't honestly believe the Wii U is doing fine, do you? It's not even doing okay.
I mean, yeah all this "omg where so unique we just dont give a fuck" sounds tough but their console is selling like shit, they need to shut their mouth and get to work.

Do you seriously think Iwata is just lounging in his office not giving a fuck about improving Wii U sales?

Kevtones

Nintendo has been divergent for awhile. Feel like this arose when they got into the arms race (GameCube) with the other companies and realized they weren't playing to their strengths any longer.

The Wii showed they could carve a niche and expand things but thus far the Wii U has not established this. That's not to say it won't, but they need another breakout to gain traction. Scary part is that I don't see it coming from Mario or Mario Kart; they need to take a bigger risk than they already have to get it going.

Maybe for the core gamers they could release DQX as a F2P game? Then use that to lead into the release of the greatest crossover ever - Pokémon X Dragon Quest?

Top Bottom