• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: "We just don't care what other companies are doing"

Good, this is what makes Nintendo Nintendo. I certainly doin't buy a Nintendo console to play endless shooters, but I've always been a member of the Nintendo/PC Master race :)

Because GAF.

It's funny, he didn't even knock or disrespect anyone. He just said that Nintendo focuses on their products and strategy and not others. Pretty silly reaction a lot of people in this thread are exhibiting.

And do you believe the reactions (mine included) are solely based on these claims and they're not mixed together with his previous comments and his management of the company?

royalan

Iwata didn't say that, for the third time, that's just the inaccurate thread title. Not sure why you quote the thread title and not the actual quote from Iwata in the article.

It was the heart of his comment.

So you're comparing two completely different companies with a completely different history based on what exactly?

For two reasons:

1) Like it or not they are comparable. Blackberry by-and-large relinquished a huge chunk of the smartphone market they once dominated by underestimating their competition, being dismissive of their competition, and ignoring the significant ways their industry was changing due to reverence of a legacy product (refusal to acknowledge the approaching dominance of touch screen technology over physical keyboards and the critical importance of thriving app ecosystems). These are things Nintendo can be rightfully be criticized of within the context of their own industry.

2) Because ignoring your competition is generally not a good thing.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I think Iwata should pay attention on how other harware makers and publishers succeed with other demographics across several regions. In the direction the company is going, the only sustainable IPs will revolve around Mario and Pokemon (and hand held Animal Crossing). It literally won't even be a Nintendo system anymore because the company will shy away from releasing anything not starring Mario or Pikachu.

I mean you see it now on the 3DS and Wii U. It is only getting worse.

but you did you agree with some one who said they weren't.

also i never said anything about not having questions and doubts

I have no idea WHEN they started actually researching HD is the problem. As far as questions and doubts, it was just something I added to what I said.

Yado

If only Iwata would focus on the competition instead of his ailing console, then Wii Us would be flying off the shelves. That's all it would take.

There's a huge difference between outright not caring and not caring too much.
Yet, there's truth to comments noting Nintendo's insularity.

A more outward looking company would have invested more into HD development with their large cash reserves, after seeing the struggles of third party publishers, particularly in their own Japanese development community, for one thing.

sd28821

Yet, there's truth to comments noting Nintendo's insularity.

A more outward looking company would have invested more into HD development with their large cash reserves, after seeing the struggles of third party publishers, particularly in their own Japanese development community, for one thing.

you mean invested more seriously this myth that they did nothing needs to stop

There's a huge difference between outright not caring and not caring too much.

They literally don't care. Nintendo haven't changed, either did Sega when they were a platform holder which killed them as their games weren't good enough.

N have almost never put out a bad game, everyone knows them because their games are the best and you can't fail buying one of their IPs, of course they don't care.

I have no idea WHEN they started actually researching HD is the problem. As far as questions and doubts, it was just something I added to what I said.

Assests are generally down sampled from higher models, the mario model on the box of Super Mario 64 for instance is probably still higher than anything PS4/Bone can render. The extra work isn't there, it;s the bigger game people expect.

Bit short sighted this, you should absolutely pay attention to what others are doing in your field and learn from their successes and failures. Like how there were so many studios with growing pains when it came to grappling with HD development, that would have been a good time to pay attention.

Keyouta

I don't mind Nintendo's existence in the industry -- in fact I applaud it.

But make some goddamn games for your goddamn console that aren't 18th iterations of established franchises. I own a Wii U for Smash, Bayonetta, and Zelda at this point. We'll see about Mario.

I'd like to own it for far more.

Wonderful 101

DDsftak.jpg

A karting game, multiplayer 3d platformer, 2.5d platformer and Gamecube action adventure port are all completely suited to PS4 and Xbone's control systems and hardware.

Maybe not paying attention to the market you exist in is the reason you're gone in March, Mr Iwata.

it's more like they make fun games that people keep buying and it sells millions. which is what he's saying. to them quality is key. unsure about that lately though.

NotLiquid

They literally don't care. Nintendo haven't changed, either did Sega when they were a platform holder which killed them as their games weren't good enough.

N have almost never put out a bad game, everyone knows them because their games are the best and you can't fail buying one of their IPs, of course they don't care.

If Nintendo literally did not care and would be as insular as people claim they are, they wouldn't have tried to do a conscious effort to build an online infrastructure with the Wii U, trying to push their digital model and courting indies and developers under much improved publishing standards. But they did. Did they do it effectively? Perhaps not. But that's not really the point being made.

It's obvious that Nintendo are running their own race here, and they will most likely always do that. They're probably never going to come out with a pure gamer console like the PS4 with no strings attached and are most likely going to try coming up with something to set them apart from the crowd. Their consoles are always built to accommodate the games they themselves come out with. But even though they're incredibly late at playing catch up, claiming they aren't paying attention to some degree is hyperbolic narrative.

Kacho

yeah, iwata's awesome

ps thread reaching predictably embarrassing levels from a few winners here

It's the same people with the same nonsense. I just look at some of the names and know what to expect.

On topic, it's quite obvious. They watch and they listen, but when they reach a fork in the road they go the opposite way their competition does. There is both good and bad that goes with it, but that's what makes them Nintendo and I love them for it.

tengiants

Bit short sighted this, you should absolutely pay attention to what others are doing in your field and learn from their successes and failures. Like how there were so many studios with growing pains when it came to grappling with HD development, that would have been a good time to pay attention.

Uhh.. they kinda did.. hence the Wii, which was very successful.

RedSwirl

Sure you don't care, Iwata. That's why Nintendo is now struggling to adapt itself to HD development, to bring an acceptable online system and to get third-party support.

You never really cared. Once again here comes his "unique gaming experiences" excuses for his directions which made Nintendo to face the problems they're currently and made the company bleed money for two years in a row.

Fuck off, Iwata. It's time for you to leave, you made enough damage to Nintendo already.

"Bleeding" is a bit of an overstatement.

For better or worse, you could always assign this catch phrase to Nintendo. Sometimes it works out for them, sometimes it doesn't. (see: the 3DS versus the Wii U)

you mean invested more seriously this myth that they did nothing needs to stop
I wrote "invested more"...

It's in the quote you quoted...

Unless you mean I should have written "invested more seriously." The lack of punctuation makes your statement hard to follow.

:/

GetemMa

I'm glad Nintendo likes to do there own thing, and I feel like the WiiU is actually trying to give 3rd parties some decent hardware to make games on. The controls they need are all there.

I just hope we see more more partnerships like the one with Sega / Sonic and Atlus/ SMTXFireEmblem.

Explains why they're behind on HD development, online gaming infrastructure, third party support, etc. And also explains why Iwata will be gone soon. I thought Nintendo would surprise at E3 but it really felt like they had nothing IMO. Certainly nothing to change the WiiU's fate anytime soon.

RedSwirl

Generally, I don't think Nintendo would be able to sustain Sony's and Microsoft's business models. The razor-and-blade strategy would potentially bankrupt them. We've been through this GAF.

Which obviously renders the entire point useless I take it. I mean, seriously?

Face it, Minecraft should have been a Nintendo game. Or they should have rushed to Mojang and game them tons of cash to have it. It isn't like they haven't done that before with Tetris and Sim City among others. Where is the Nintendo that saw what Rare was doing with CGI and capitalized on that? Where in the Nintendo that went to North American and Euro developers to get N64 up and running with games?

Don't give me the HD development in hard BS. There are indies out there making HD games, there are eastern European devs out there making cutting edge visual incredible games like 4A with Metro Last Light, and CDP with Witcher. Nintendo are trying to say that they can't build HD titles? Come on.

How many CGI film productions do we see a year now, Like 10 feature length ones? How many high res CG TV shows get made a year, hundreds? The planet is filled with people who have the knowledge and knowhow to do near anything.

I think we need to remember that those strategies didn't exactly put Nintendo on top back in those days. Relying on those western developers didn't stop them from losing market share to Sony and didn't stop them from falling far short of PlayStation's sales.

Pikma

Banned
I don't get people calling them out because of the gamepad. He's referring to gaming experiences, as in content and quality, he never mentioned any kind of hardware barrier, did he? I think even they got by now that resorting to gimmicks isn't always guaranteed to be successful.

DDsftak.jpg

A karting game, multiplayer 3d platformer, 2.5d platformer and Gamecube action adventure port are all completely suited to PS4 and Xbone's control systems and hardware.

Maybe not paying attention to the market you exist in is the reason you're gone in March, Mr Iwata.

I wasn't aware that Mario, Zelda, and Donkey Kong will be available on the XBox One and the Playstation 4.

tengiants

DDsftak.jpg

What happens in March Pie and Beans?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
So it's a coincidence they made a tablet controller right after the iPad blew up?

Nintendo released a touch screen system in 2004 known as the DS.

royalan

Generally, I don't think Nintendo would be able to sustain Sony's and Microsoft's business models. The razor-and-blade strategy would potentially bankrupt them. We've been through this GAF.

Wait, so is it Nintendo's too small and one false move will bankrupt them, or it it Nintendo's got a ton of money saved up guys they could afford to flop several generations and still be ok? It's always changing.

Should Nintendo be as fucking reckless with money as MS and Sony have been in the past? Of course not (and, actually, I'd argue that Sony has significantly smartened up in this regard).

Could they afford to be a bit more competitive with their hardware and software? Certainly.

IrishNinja

It's the same people with the same nonsense. I just look at some of the names and know what to expect.

yeah, i see em too
but where's tobor and brera? it's just not the same

They also dont give a shit if theres enough catalog variety. "YEAH SURE GREENLIGHT THE FIFTH PLATFORMER!"

true, i for one was like WHERES THE SHOOTAHS AND DRIVY GAMES, WE GOT NONE OF THOSE HERE THIS YEAR

JDSN

Banned
They also dont give a shit if theres enough catalog variety. "YEAH SURE GREENLIGHT THE FIFTH PLATFORMER!"

true, i for one was like WHERES THE SHOOTAHS AND DRIVY GAMES, WE GOT NONE OF THOSE HERE THIS YEAR

Same thing, different side of the spectrum.

Top Bottom