• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: "We just don't care what other companies are doing"

Wait, so is it Nintendo's too small and one false move with bankrupt them, or it it Nintendo's got a ton of money saved up guys they could afford to flop several generations and still be ok? It's always changing.

Should Nintendo be as fucking reckless with money as MS and Sony have been in the past? Of course not (and, actually, I'd argue that Sony has significantly smartened up in this regard).

Could they afford to be a bit more competitive with their hardware and software? Certainly.

Whether or not Nintendo can "flop" several generations is probably very dependent on the hardware they build. With the Wii U (which supposedly breaks even with one game sale)? Yeah, probably. With a strategy starting with massive losses like the PS3? Definitely not.

Wait, so is it Nintendo's too small and one false move with bankrupt them, or it it Nintendo's got a ton of money saved up guys they could afford to flop several generations and still be ok? It's always changing.

Should Nintendo be as fucking reckless with money as MS and Sony have been in the past? Of course not (and, actually, I'd argue that Sony has significantly smartened up in this regard).

Could they afford to be a bit more competitive with their hardware and software? Certainly.

Yep.

Bolded it's what annoys me the most about Nintendo fanboys.

Which is not at all what the guy said, but cool.

He seemed to misunderstand what Iwata said, then. Iwata was talking about gaming experiences that can't be done on other platforms. Reducing this down to simple genres is incorrect because Iwata was clearly talking about established franchises with a pristine track record like Mario and Zelda.

Honestly, at this point Nintendo should focus on making the Wii u a sequel to the Wii instead of the GameCube.

Early in, they were too busy trying to convince gamers that they were going after the "hardcore" traditional game market that the 360 and ps3 rule. They overlooked the fact that those gamers already had a 360 and ps3 for 360 and ps3 level games. Meanwhile the Wii market user base is probably sitting inactive. The Wii u should've launched with a Wii Sports u in the package and with Wii Play U near launch with a Wii controller packed in.

Its not too late either.

IrishNinja

That brera guy was serious? I always thought his dumbness was intentional.

he exists in the quantum spaces of poe's law: avoiding the hammer, but not noticeable/entertaining enough to be an acolyte of drinky crow. feasibly real (though one does hope not), but it's not an easy call for me. i like to think of him as elaborate performance art.

Dead Man

He seemed to misunderstand what Iwata said, then. Iwata was talking about gaming experiences that can't be done on other platforms. Reducing this down to simple genres is not incorrect because Iwata was clearly talking about established franchises with a pristine track record like Mario and Zelda.

Nothing that Nintendo does cannot be done on another platform, except motion controls. You seem to have missed the point, to me. What Nintendo gaming experience CANNOT be done on another platform. Not 'isn't' done, but 'cannot'.

Nothing that Nintendo does cannot be done on another platform, except motion controls. You seem to have missed the point, to me. What Nintendo gaming experience CANNOT be done on another platform. Not 'isn't' done, but 'cannot'.

Mario games cannot be done on another platform. I'm not so sure what's controversial about this?

scitek

Iwata claims it was the original idea for the Wii, but Nintendo shelved it in favor of the Wii Remote.

Nintendo released a touch screen system in 2004 known as the DS.

The Wii U is a pretty natural evolution of the DS onto a home console. So, yeah.

I can tell I'm older than you.

Mmmkay. Timing's weird's all I'm saying. And it totally flies in the face of the whole "traditional controller being confusing" thing they tried to change with the Wii, but maybe they do live in a bubble.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The Final Bosman really did get it right when he called Nintendo a stubborn elephant. Sometimes they make decisions that seem crazy, and yet that is the reason for their success. The Wii, DS and 3DS all did things differently, were all lower specced than their rivals, yet all ended up selling in numbers their rivals can only dream of.

RedSwirl

Wait, so is it Nintendo's too small and one false move will bankrupt them, or it it Nintendo's got a ton of money saved up guys they could afford to flop several generations and still be ok? It's always changing.

When Nintendo "flops" a generation, they still don't lose money. Nintendo remained profitable throughout the N64 and Gamecube years.

Microsoft was considered "successful" through the original Xbox years but that console lost them $4 billion. The PS3 is considered a successful console now but actually wiped out all the profits Sony made during the PS1 and PS2 years. Nintendo has never lost money on that scale, even during their "flopped" console generations.

What I mean is that they can't afford to adopt models that would bring them to Sony's and Microsoft's profit margins, and it's probably not possible to see, through pure forum speculation, if they could offer a console exactly like the PS4 without essentially adopting Sony's business model.

Generally, I don't think Nintendo would be able to sustain Sony's and Microsoft's business models. The razor-and-blade strategy would potentially bankrupt them. We've been through this GAF.

I think we need to remember that those strategies didn't exactly put Nintendo on top back in those days. Relying on those western developers didn't stop them from losing market share to Sony and didn't stop them from falling far short of PlayStation's sales.

Remember that they were a year late with games that cost up to $30 more with a smaller base library due to carts in a 3 way conflict. Yeah they dropped marketshare to 25% but that was still higher than the following GameCube gen where they had 12%?

And what too did they do that N64 gen? Innovate like crazy with games like Waverace, 1080, Mario 64, Zelda as well as manage Rare who blew the doors open with Goldeneye as well as maintaining the rest of their product line. They were doing better but saddled with an expensive media format.

Mondriaan

Wonder why that is?

I don't see Microsoft and Sony launching the same type of software Nintendo is pushing out this year though.
Probably Sony and MS are trying to get in on the general trend of people using iphone/ipad/ios devices while watching TV or doing other things.

Opiate

Could you please explain how this would be possible?

Nintendo makes a Mario game for the Playstation 4.

A game which literally cannot be done would be one that simply could not translate even if Nintendo wanted to. For example, Wii Sports legitimately could not have been replicated on the PS3 even if Nintendo wanted to. Neither could Elite Beat Agents.

But Mario, Zelda and Mario Kart definitely could.

I wonder how Nintendo's internal devs privately think. They survived the gauntlet of life to reach their dream of making a Mario or Zelda game, and they want to add their own personal touch to the Nintendo legacy. But they came in with grand ideas and have to waste so much time on cutting their dream games back because of time-wasting battles on tech hurdles to optimize for weak hardware.

Do those devs stare out the window for a moment each day and envy those who can create artistic vision with more and more freedom from hardware constraints? Do they imagine how
amazing they could make Zelda if they had the freedom offered by 2013 PCs and next-gen? So much time would be freed up for gameplay and art instead of "We're all filled up there. Gotta cut stuff and simplify it".

Nintendo has creative minds and they are being shortchanged, not allowed full potential of their visions. My common man guess is that in a few years Nintendo will be 3rd party and possibly still go for handheld depending on how phones and tablets are doing then.

Dead Man

Could you please explain how this would be possible?

By being released on the platform? There is nothing in the coding or hardware that makes it impossible. Nintendo have made a decision to only have them on their own console (which is fine), but that doesn't mean that the experience cannot be done on other hardware.

Somnid

I've brought this up but the lack of genre overlap between XB1/PS4 and Wii U is pretty amazing. In fact aside from multiplats the only thing Nintendo showed that even shares the same genre as something on PS4/XB1 was X and FFXV being JRPGs and W101 and Knack being similar action games. I didn't see any arcade racers (let alone kart), no platformers, no adverture games, no japanese-style action games like Bayonetta and nothing like Pikmin, Wii Party U or Wii Fit.

Nintendo clearly exists on some sort of wavelength that is not in phase with everyone else and that alone is pretty awesome and if anything fully vindicates them.

Nintendo makes a Mario game for the Playstation 4.

A game which literally cannot be done would be one that simply could not translate even if Nintendo wanted to. For example, Wii Sports legitimately could not have been replicated on the PS3 even if Nintendo wanted to. Neither could Elite Beat Agents.

But Mario, Zelda and Mario Kart definitely could.

Yes they can, Mario games have never done anything truly impossible on anything other than their respective platform.

By being released on the platform? There is nothing in the coding or hardware that makes it impossible. Nintendo have made a decision to only have them on their own console (which is fine), but that doesn't mean that the experience cannot be done on other hardware.

Again, this comes down to semantics. Nintendo owns the intellectual property for all of these games and as a result of that, those experiences are only going to be possible on Nintendo consoles. Whether or not those games could be work on other platforms is not particularly relevant because that isn't the reality. Like, sure, Mario could work on a PS3. But it's not going to be. It's an experience you can only get on a Nintendo console.

Opiate

I've made this point several times now, but the split between EA and Nintendo is primarily a demographic problem that cannot be resolved by making Nintendo's system like the PS4/Xbone. The Wii U isn't getting many PS3/360 ports, and the Gamecube wasn't getting many PS2 ports in the second half of its life.

Look at EA's big moneymakers: Madden, Fifa, Battlefield, Need for Speed. Sports, Sports, Shooting, Cars -- you couldn't possibly be more oriented towards young males if you tried. By comparison, Nintendo's biggest hits on their platforms in the last decade have been games like Nintendogs (young girls), Wii Sports (everyone? The elderly?) Wii Fit (Moms), and New Super Mario Brothers (children).

The problem really isn't that third party games cannot sell on Nintendo's platforms: the Lego games all sold best on Wii, Just Dance was a massive seller, Guitar Hero sold best on Wii, Skylanders sold best on Wii, Sonic games continue to do best on Nintendo platforms, and Ubisoft made tremendous cash off of their Petz line of DS games. The problem is that all of these successes are outside of the 16-35 male demographic of sports/cars/guns/swords, which comprises 90%+ of EA's console output. The Wii may have been the most popular and most profitable platform last generation, but Microsoft and Sony clearly continue to do much, much better with 16-35 males, which is EA's bread and butter demo.

Opiate

Again, this comes down to semantics. Nintendo owns the intellectual property for all of these games and as a result of that, those experiences are only going to be possible on Nintendo consoles. Whether or not those games could be work on other platforms is not particularly relevant because that isn't the reality. Like, sure, Mario could work on a PS3. But it's not going to be. It's an experience you can only get on a Nintendo console.

Of course it's a semantic argument. We are defining the difference between "cannot" and "will not." That is a semantic distinction by definition. These games can be made for the PS4, but will not be made because Nintendo chooses not to. Which is fine.

It's also perfectly possible for third parties to make games very similar to Nintendo's games as long as they don't actually use Mario or Link.

sd28821

I've made this point several times now, but the split between EA and Nintendo is primarily a demographic problem that cannot be resolved by making Nintendo's system like the PS4/Xbone. The Wii U isn't getting many PS3/360 ports, and the Gamecube wasn't getting many PS2 ports in the second half of its life.

Look at EA's big moneymakers: Madden, Fifa, Battlefield, Need for Speed. Sports, Sports, Shooting, Cars -- you couldn't possibly be more oriented towards young males if you tried. By comparison, Nintendo's biggest hits on their platforms in the last decade have been games like Nintendogs (young girls), Wii Sports (everyone? The elderly?) Wii Fit (Moms), and New Super Mario Brothers (children).

The problem really isn't that third party games cannot sell on Nintendo's platforms: the Lego games all sold best on Wii, Just Dance was a massive seller, Guitar Hero sold best on Wii, Skylanders sold best on Wii, Sonic games continue to do best on Nintendo platforms, and Ubisoft made tremendous cash off of their Petz line of DS games. The problem is that all of these successes are outside of the 16-35 male demographic of sports/cars/guns/swords, which comprises 90%+ of EA's console output. The Wii may have been the most popular and most profitable platform last generation, but Microsoft and Sony clearly continue to do much, much better with 16-35 males, which is EA's bread and butter demo.

This sums things it up quite nicely>

Gartooth

I understand Iwata means well when he says that people buy the systems in order to play the games, but there is no excuse for making a poor system in the first place.

royalan

When Nintendo "flops" a generation, they still don't lose money. Nintendo remained profitable throughout the N64 and Gamecube years.

Microsoft was considered "successful" through the original Xbox years but that console lost them $4 billion. The PS3 is considered a successful console now but actually wiped out all the profits Sony made during the PS1 and PS2 years. Nintendo has never lost money on that scale, even during their "flopped" console generations.

What I mean is that they can't afford to adopt models that would bring them to Sony's and Microsoft's profit margins, and it's probably not possible to see, through pure forum speculation, if they could offer a console exactly like the PS4 without essentially adopting Sony's business model.

I think they could, but it would involve Nintendo going back to the type of aggressive thinking that made the SNES a success, and the 64 a gaming paradise (with an incredibly strong lineup and variety) even in its eventual failure. Of course, SNES/N64-era Nintendo wasn't perfect, but I think the things management back then were actually good at are the things sorely lacking in the Nintendo we have today.

It's my BIGGEST gripe with Iwata. He's a creative. An idea guy through and through, but he's an awful CEO. And when he tries to be all the things that make a great CEO he is so clearly ripped out of his element (as exemplified by this statement). Great CEOs are cutthroat, fast to react, unafraid of the tough decisions and, yes, VERY aware of what the competition is doing and always prepared to counter. Iwata is really none of that.

Basically, right now, Iwata is early-90s Steve Jobs. What he needs to be is 2000s era Steve Jobs, who was every bit of a fucking pitbull of a CEO as he was a head-in-the-clouds creative.
Pulled this analogy out of my ass. But, hey, in worked in my mind.

This mentality is a terrible one to have. It's what cause companies to fall behind and fall into irrelevancy.

Not caring or knowing what is happening in your own industry means that there is no way for you to become a market leader. The reason why Wii was so successful was because Nintendo was aware of the market stagnation and created a console to counteract that. It was their mission statement from day one with the Wii.

This is probably why Nintendo go ripped off with the Wii. They spent has much as Sony did on the PS4 to develop the Wii U but only got the power of PS3.

Scum

Opiate
Depressingly Realistic

I still want Iwata to follow my suggestion of setting up studios at NoE and NoA and getting help in Europe and the US to fill in with the IPs they've been missing out on for so long. Pinch titles from the N64. :p

I miss Mid tier dev studios. ;_;

sd28821

I still want Iwata to follow my suggestion of setting up studios at NoE and NoA and getting help in Europe and the US to fill in with the IPs they've been missing out on for so long. Pinch titles from the N64. :p

I miss Mid tier dev studios. ;_;

I think every one wants that the problem is it isnt that easy.

Of course it's a semantic argument. We are defining the difference between "cannot" and "will not." That is a semantic distinction by definition. These games can be made for the PS4, but will not be made because Nintendo chooses not to. Which is fine.

It's also perfectly possible for third parties to make games very similar to Nintendo's games as long as they don't actually use Mario or Link.

Well, yeah, and often they do (sometimes to success, sometimes not). I suppose I just interpreted Iwata's statement about experiences only possible on Nintendo consoles differently because while platformers etc are certainly possible (to experience, not to make) on other consoles, Mario games etc are not (at least as long as Nintendo owns the IP). That's the way I understood it

EA and Nintendo split is most likely because Nintendo didn't wanted a DRM Origin network for Wii U as probably was the unprecedentedly partnership about. EA even said now if WiiU managed to become a "viable" platform they might support it in the future.

Your overview would be perfect and flawless if Nintendo kept the same approach they had for Wii and managed to succesfully migrate the same casual crowd they got for it to Wii U. They didn't and possibly never will. So this can't be applied to WiiU anymore.

Yado

My sentiments exactly. The only EA franchises that would be truly successful on a Nintendo platform are games catered to the Nintendo audience. Unfortunately, the Wii U isn't selling well enough to justify doing that.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
So... what will happen once Iwata gets fired? Third party support will be at an all-time high? Nintendo will heavily invest in new ips? They'll stop making Mario games? They will make the strongest console that will rival top end PCs? They will lock online multiplayer behind a paywall?

Iwata really is holding Nintendo back.

Top Bottom